Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Who could grow the best beard?
Webber 50 84.75%
Vettel 9 15.25%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22 Oct 2009, 16:32 (Ref:2567220)   #1226
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatz the Cow View Post
Well I give that round to Webber as a 10 - 8 over Vettel, with Vettel still ahead on points overall on my judges scorecards.

Final round coming up, and it looks like not even a knock down will be enough to see Webber as the better driver for 2009.

This last one will be for pride.
I think it will be pretty close...with maybe Webber doing a fair impression of 'Blackbeard' and perhaps Vettel struggling to get to grips with his 'Robinson Crusoe' look.
Old 23 Oct 2009, 09:44 (Ref:2567769)   #1227
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
I think it will be pretty close...with maybe Webber doing a fair impression of 'Blackbeard' and perhaps Vettel struggling to get to grips with his 'Robinson Crusoe' look.
That is funny...

Now that Jenson's won The WDC he will be able to grow a beard, maybe?
Old 23 Oct 2009, 09:57 (Ref:2567775)   #1228
Malfunction Junction
Racer

Malfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMalfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
That is funny...

Now that Jenson's won The WDC he will be able to grow a beard, maybe?

After the previous bum fluff efforts, Bah!
Old 24 Oct 2009, 16:37 (Ref:2568762)   #1229
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Have to say, i don't like Peter Windsor, but read an interesting opinion of his in last months F1Racing magazine...

Quote:
Peter Windsor

I can see Vettel being far more comfortable with a Nick Heidfeld in the other seat - and/or Mark doing a better job if he didn't have to put it on the line every lap in order to beat Vettel
So, according to Windsor, Seb would like a slower team mate, but Mark has to drive out of his skin in order to beat Seb.
Old 24 Oct 2009, 19:19 (Ref:2568840)   #1230
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Have to say, i don't like Peter Windsor, but read an interesting opinion of his in last months F1Racing magazine...

So, according to Windsor, Seb would like a slower team mate, but Mark has to drive out of his skin in order to beat Seb.
What a wonderfully brilliantly and obvious conclusion there!

In any team that has 2 evenly matched drivers; both will invariably have to drive the wheels off to beat the other one ...... Unless of course they are 2 evenly matched tuggers in tail end equipment.

Of course, any decent driver would love to be in a competitive car with a journeyman in the other who is no real threat.

See: "How to win WDC's with no inner team competition by Fernando Alonso and Michael Schumacher."
Old 24 Oct 2009, 23:57 (Ref:2568992)   #1231
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Teflonso beats TGF in that area easily.
Old 25 Oct 2009, 00:09 (Ref:2568998)   #1232
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post

See: "How to win WDC's with no inner team competition by Fernando Alonso and Michael Schumacher."
I find it hard to believe that Schumacher allowed Alonso to have his name before his own in the book title.
Old 25 Oct 2009, 00:16 (Ref:2569000)   #1233
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
I find it hard to believe that Schumacher allowed Alonso to have his name before his own in the book title.
Old 25 Oct 2009, 13:37 (Ref:2569342)   #1234
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Whoops, wrong thread...

Last edited by strider; 25 Oct 2009 at 13:48.
Old 25 Oct 2009, 14:40 (Ref:2569382)   #1235
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Can I say, that Mark Webber obviously the best driver on the grid at the moment.

And when I say "Best driver" I mean "Has the manliest jaw since Schumacher."
Old 26 Oct 2009, 15:01 (Ref:2570130)   #1236
Halsey
Racer

Brazil
Tasmania
Halsey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazza View Post
Can I say, that Mark Webber obviously the best driver on the grid at the moment.

And when I say "Best driver" I mean "Has the manliest jaw since Schumacher."
Your logic would then dictate that Coulthard was by far and away the best driver to never win a world championship!
Old 27 Oct 2009, 09:16 (Ref:2570597)   #1237
Malfunction Junction
Racer

Malfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMalfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Frankly neither of them would beat Emerson Fittipaldi's sideburns, but then it was quite another time......
Old 27 Oct 2009, 11:21 (Ref:2570673)   #1238
ozrevhead
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
ozrevhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatz the Cow View Post
Well I give that round to Webber as a 10 - 8 over Vettel, with Vettel still ahead on points overall on my judges scorecards.

Final round coming up, and it looks like not even a knock down will be enough to see Webber as the better driver for 2009.

This last one will be for pride.
Well you can use stats to do whatever you what....

how bout if Mark wins and vettle doesnt podium the will have the same number of wins and same amount of podiums

Mark has finished ahead in more GP's then Seb V as well...bad luck has meant some have been when they are both out of the points

Everyone talks about Sebs bad luck - well 4 GPs where they stuff mark's pitstop and and being idiotic enough to forget to check the bloody headrest isnt exaclty the definision of good luck is?

Like I sad we can use stats to support whatever argument you like
Old 27 Oct 2009, 11:32 (Ref:2570678)   #1239
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think Spatz is being over generous. If Mark had to beat a really good driver to win last time out then maybe those scores would be right. Instead his usual good luck dealt him a hand that only included Rubens.
Old 27 Oct 2009, 11:46 (Ref:2570685)   #1240
gslrallysport
Rookie

Australia
Brisbane
gslrallysport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrevhead View Post
Well you can use stats to do whatever you what....
Exactly. At the end of the day you can pick whatever bits you like to suit what ever driver takes your fancy. The Webber/Vettel combo has been the dominate driver line up this year.

Purely looking at statistics, Vettel has admirably out qualified Webber (14 to 2), but Webber has finished more races higher than Vettel (9 to 7), had more fastest laps (3 to 2) and finished more races (14 to 11)... Vettel has more points, largely due to some of Mark's recent run of bad luck, and conversely Vettel should also have more points due some luck but hasn't... that's F1.

At the end of the day, Vettel didn't embarrass Mark like all his preaches said he would. Mark showed he knows what it takes to completely dominate a race weekend, and win even after a drive through. He's also shown he's not a one hit wonder by keeping his composure and winning again. He's shown that's he's more than a match for the sport's current batch of hot shots when put in a competitive car, and done all this in a year where he didn't have any pre-season testing, and had a metal rod in his leg and limped badly for the first half of the year...

Is Webber an Alonso or Schumacher, possibly not (but then Vettel is yet to show us that he is either). Has he shown that he deserves his place in a top team, most definitely!
Old 27 Oct 2009, 11:52 (Ref:2570687)   #1241
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Interesting comparison

It would be interesting to check that when both drivers finished the races without mishap, which one was ahead of the other more times.

Sorry if someone has already worked this out earlier. I just came to say "hello" to my friends also.

But I do think that both are very good drivers just the same.
Old 27 Oct 2009, 11:53 (Ref:2570688)   #1242
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think advocates of Webber's talent can be pleased that he wasn't shown up badly by Vettel, who many rate as a brilliant talent. That being the case, Mark's done a fine job this year. No stats needed.
Old 27 Oct 2009, 12:36 (Ref:2570718)   #1243
ozrevhead
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
ozrevhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I think advocates of Webber's talent can be pleased that he wasn't shown up badly by Vettel, who many rate as a brilliant talent. That being the case, Mark's done a fine job this year. No stats needed.
Hell yeah - this has been his best season in F1 by miles and really he has proven people wrong

Vettel HASNT run circles around Mark OR ended Mark's carrer like everyone claimed he was going to

are they man enough to admit that - I dont bloody think so thats for sure
Old 27 Oct 2009, 12:57 (Ref:2570732)   #1244
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I think Webber has proved to be a very good number two driver for Red Bull this year, he's picked up points for the team on a regular basis and taken a couple of wins when Vettel has had an off day. I suspect he'll do a similar job next season too (he's the Coulthard to Vettels Hakkinen).
Old 27 Oct 2009, 13:09 (Ref:2570741)   #1245
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
I think Webber has proved to be a very good number two driver for Red Bull this year, he's picked up points for the team on a regular basis and taken a couple of wins when Vettel has had an off day. I suspect he'll do a similar job next season too (he's the Coulthard to Vettel's Hakkinen).
That's a very good comparison, although Vettel hasn't reached Hakkinen levels yet, but next year may well be when he does.

Not sure that Mark would agree, though.
Old 27 Oct 2009, 22:24 (Ref:2571036)   #1246
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
I think Webber has proved to be a very good number two driver for Red Bull this year, he's picked up points for the team on a regular basis and taken a couple of wins when Vettel has had an off day. I suspect he'll do a similar job next season too (he's the Coulthard to Vettels Hakkinen).
I don't agree with this view at all. In my view, both drivers appear to be evenly matched if one takes the time to carefully look at the results this year.
It is unfortunate that the Red Bull car and/or drivers have proven to be inconsistent this year, because when one driver did well in a race, often the other driver didn't. But in the eight races where both drivers finished competitively, the results show that in 4 races, Vettel beat Mark, while in 4 races, Mark beat Vettel. Even the championship points scored by the two drivers show they are very close.
I would say that we should wait until the car/drivers show more consistency in races to see how they perform vis a vis, to see who is the better driver. But from the way races have gone this year, neither driver will be #2 to the other.
Old 28 Oct 2009, 00:56 (Ref:2571089)   #1247
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think Red Bull would be quite happy... Clearly, they have THE BEST driver combination on the grid at the moment.

At least until Fernando arrives in Maranello...
Old 28 Oct 2009, 07:11 (Ref:2571182)   #1248
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrevhead View Post
Vettel HASNT run circles around Mark OR ended Mark's carrer like everyone claimed he was going to
And yet DM would have got Kubica or Raikkonen into the #4 RBR with no expense spared if they hadn't been so trigger happy by offering a tentative 1 year contract extension to Webbo already...
Old 28 Oct 2009, 08:36 (Ref:2571226)   #1249
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
And yet DM would have got Kubica or Raikkonen into the #4 RBR with no expense spared if they hadn't been so trigger happy by offering a tentative 1 year contract extension to Webbo already...
...............your point being?
Old 28 Oct 2009, 12:00 (Ref:2571360)   #1250
gt4v
Rookie

gt4v should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webber vs. Vettel

Just thought l would point out that Mark has lost more weight this season and trained extremely hard.
You only need to look at any pics from last year to see it in his face.

This is important for Mark because he is taller and a lot heavier than Vettel.
Both cars have the same race weight but Marks car has the weight much higher in the car and this ultimately affects handling.

If you look at the times in Qualifying he is often only one tenth off Vettel.
This is probably an even result l think and a sign of an equal amount of talent given the slight handling difference.

For Mark to actually beat Vettel's times is an even greater achievement.
In F1 the smaller and lighter driver will always have a slight advantage.

Mark has done as much as he can to shead the kilo's this year.
I met him in Melbourne this year for the second time and the difference in his appearance was very noticeable.

Given this disadvantage Marks performance this year has been excellent.
Let,s not also forget the broken leg and shoulder which would have affected his performance in the first few races.