Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 31 Dec 2002, 09:10 (Ref:460769)   #126
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!

Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
So what's it going to be on 2003 then Fab?

I think I'll go for an Audi..........

(or is that just wishful thinking? )
I remember the pre-race debates here : you've imagine a bunch of Audis kissing the dust in the first Dunlop curve ... not very realistic, but that's what happened in 2001 under the shower...

Well, I don't wish to see the first row' cars to be out in the first laps.

Well, we start now ? I'll go for a very recent GT...
Old 31 Dec 2002, 12:11 (Ref:460840)   #127
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab

Well, I don't wish to see the first row' cars to be out in the first laps.

No? Even if they're all Audis?
Old 31 Dec 2002, 14:23 (Ref:460967)   #128
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
No? Even if they're all Audis?
I think the private Audis are OK ; I just don't want to see a Joest parade as the three past years... and well, I want some challengers and a real race in the first laps, and a cheerful public to wave them as they pass over along the starting straight... is it too much to ask ?
Old 31 Dec 2002, 15:43 (Ref:461029)   #129
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
I think the private Audis are OK ; I just don't want to see a Joest parade as the three past years... and well, I want some challengers and a real race in the first laps, and a cheerful public to wave them as they pass over along the starting straight... is it too much to ask ?
Thats where the Bentley's and MG's join in...............
Old 1 Jan 2003, 13:01 (Ref:461515)   #130
E46
Veteran

Spain
Zaragoza, Reino de Aragón
E46 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
With the same cars, the same drivers and the same team I fear again other Joest parade
Old 2 Jan 2003, 11:08 (Ref:461909)   #131
lowieracing
Racer

lowieracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i seriously think that le mans needs another winner, it is almost like the 70's era when porsche were totally dominant at le mans with their 917s, at least there were privateers who eventually won...i think that the 'little' MGs have a gud chance if something 'extraordinary' happens ie. the two audis kissing in the gravel trap....not to mention bentley's challenge...
Old 2 Jan 2003, 12:33 (Ref:461949)   #132
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Whether you're a Joest/Audi fan or not, it cannot be good news for Le Mans, the ACO or sportscar racing in general for Audi to win again in 2003.

I'll qualify that further - to win with the same ease as they have done for the past 3 years. If we could have an almighty battle culminating in a narrow and hard-fought win - that would be different.
Old 2 Jan 2003, 13:22 (Ref:462009)   #133
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...

Quote:
Whether you're a Joest/Audi fan or not, it cannot be good news for Le Mans, the ACO or sportscar racing in general for Audi to win again in 2003.

I'll qualify that further - to win with the same ease as they have done for the past 3 years. If we could have an almighty battle culminating in a narrow and hard-fought win - that would be different.
I'll jump on that and E46 comments to ask a very innocent question (not cynical ,I mean) : do we have to fear a Benltley 'promenade', 'on tour' in France for a predictable victory ?

If yes, is it good or bad for the race (not that Bentley wins, but that the victory become so much predictable) ?

Last edited by Fab; 2 Jan 2003 at 13:23.
Old 2 Jan 2003, 13:28 (Ref:462021)   #134
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
In short Fab, yes, I'd love to see a Bentley win the race, but its much more important to me that we have a good race, lots of changes of leader, lots of class battles, close racing and not a procession by any one or two (or three) cars.

But I fear that could be asking for too much?
Old 2 Jan 2003, 13:32 (Ref:462025)   #135
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
In short Fab, yes, I'd love to see a Bentley win the race, but its much more important to me that we have a good race, lots of changes of leader, lots of class battles, close racing and not a procession by any one or two (or three) cars.

But I fear that could be asking for too much?
I don't think it's too much, and it's playable... a good fast Dome, fast MG's, the Bentleys, the Audis, I can see some cars for the holeshot and the first hour... then...
Old 2 Jan 2003, 13:38 (Ref:462030)   #136
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
I don't think it's too much, and it's playable... a good fast Dome, fast MG's, the Bentleys, the Audis, I can see some cars for the holeshot and the first hour... then...
Don't forget the local boys, hopefully Courge will have better pace than last year.

Are corvette going back next year?
Old 2 Jan 2003, 13:46 (Ref:462044)   #137
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by Nordic
Don't forget the local boys, hopefully Courge
Courge means 'vegetable marrow'... it's a good one Nordic

Quote:
Originally posted by Nordic
Are corvette going back next year?
Hope they are... seen the bunch of Maranellos ?!?

Last edited by Fab; 2 Jan 2003 at 13:46.
Old 2 Jan 2003, 13:53 (Ref:462057)   #138
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fab
[B] Courge means 'vegetable marrow'... it's a good one Nordic

I knew that..... its the new year and my first day back to work, be gentle!!!!
Old 2 Jan 2003, 19:58 (Ref:462252)   #139
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
Well we only have 6 months to wait
Old 4 Jan 2003, 16:16 (Ref:463630)   #140
E46
Veteran

Spain
Zaragoza, Reino de Aragón
E46 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a interesting interview to Jean Paul Driot in www.spiritof.com.fr, he says if he has a interesting project, he will return to Le Mans. I hope it..
Old 6 Jan 2003, 22:26 (Ref:465773)   #141
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
2003LeMans Entry List

Just Joined...Got this link from Mulsanne's Corner...

Your speculation on 2003 Le mans is interesting, but I didn't see any mention of the Riley & Scott MkIIIC.

Jim Matthews Racing (as the R&S Factory Team) has upgraded the package (ran well at Petit Le Mans before they stuck the car into the wall)and will run the 2003 ALMS series on Michelins -- the big problem they had last year was racing on Goodyears and later Dunlops -- the tires went away and so did the handling late in the runs...

Bill Riley knows how to win and how to build a solid endurance car...

They will be there next June, and will be a solid competitor

Bet on it...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 6 Jan 2003, 23:13 (Ref:465819)   #142
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
how much ..

Ciao Marco
Old 7 Jan 2003, 06:23 (Ref:465997)   #143
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Re: 2003LeMans Entry List

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
Your speculation on 2003 Le mans is interesting, but I didn't see any mention of the Riley & Scott MkIIIC.

Jim Matthews Racing (as the R&S Factory Team) has upgraded the package (ran well at Petit Le Mans before they stuck the car into the wall)and will run the 2003 ALMS series on Michelins -- the big problem they had last year was racing on Goodyears and later Dunlops -- the tires went away and so did the handling late in the runs...

Bill Riley knows how to win and how to build a solid endurance car...

They will be there next June, and will be a solid competitor

Bet on it...
The R&S was quite a deception for me last (yes 2002 is now last !) year... but during the PQ and before the race, the car show nice promises...

Hope they'll be at the top, we need them !
Old 7 Jan 2003, 22:16 (Ref:466753)   #144
Karl Kling
Racer

Sweden
Sweden
Karl Kling should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello! Here are some info on stuff you've talked about:

I've heard a rumour that Oreca is entering the Nissan 350Z. Not sure where i heard it though.

The Pagani Zonda project is alive and in progress (last time I checked, anyway). If everything goes as planned Toine Hezemans will enter a car in the GTS class. This is not a rumour, I read a short interview with Hezemans in the german magazine Sport Auto.

The new Ford GT is called GT because the name GT40 was already registered by some kind of spare parts company (or something like that). Ford never registered the name. This is according to the swedish car mag Teknikens Värld, but that doesn't mean it's true...

/K
Old 7 Jan 2003, 22:22 (Ref:466764)   #145
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
MotorTrend confirmed that the Ford will be the Ford GT for the very reason stated above when they sell the new street version later in 2003 or in 2004...to get the rights to use GT40 from the company that owns the rights was going to cost Ford mega-millions of $$$$ that Ford wisely was not willing to pay...too bad they weren't as wise back in the '60s...otherwise they would have registered the name and wouldn't have to worry about it...

Old 8 Jan 2003, 08:18 (Ref:467065)   #146
SFonseca
Veteran

Portugal
Canelas, Portugal
SFonseca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Karl Kling
I've heard a rumour that Oreca is entering the Nissan 350Z. Not sure where i heard it though.
I won't be so sure about Oreca and Nissan 350Z. DAMS and Doran were rumoured to run the 350Z, too. But DAMS is definetely "out of the business".
Old 8 Jan 2003, 15:15 (Ref:467401)   #147
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by SFonseca
I won't be so sure about Oreca and Nissan 350Z. DAMS and Doran were rumoured to run the 350Z, too. But DAMS is definetely "out of the business".
Jean-Paul Driot says that he could come back if there's a go(o)d opportunity... BTW, he saw the rushes of Besson movie, and said that there will be a lot of... action - well not too much romance ! Ahem...
Old 8 Jan 2003, 15:44 (Ref:467428)   #148
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
As I read through the previous 6 pages of correspondence...

Do you REALLY think that the turbo 4-bangers in the MG-Lolas will last the 24 hours????

They have been VERY fast, and I am quite impressed with how far they have come so quickly to run head-to-head with (and in many cases, head and shoulders ABOVE)the best of the LMP 900s....

Last year, they were plagued by various mechanical,(especially engine) problems, not only at Le mans, but many of the ALMS teams running them had problems as well....the season champ in ALMS (the MG in the 675 Class) racked up most of its points in the timed races (2hrs. 45 min.)...

Besides, the Pilbeams were zero competition anyway (in ALMS).

To win at 24 hours, your engine has to hold up for 24 hours....the MG turbo four cylinder hasn't done it yet....

Maybe the Judd 3.4 that will be badged as an MG-XPower engine for the 675s will be the answer...

I'm not running down the MG program....I like how they run and was rooting for them last year...they just couldn't handle the pace for that long period with the four cylinder powerplant..

Old 8 Jan 2003, 16:28 (Ref:467458)   #149
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
Do you REALLY think that the turbo 4-bangers in the MG-Lolas will last the 24 hours???? // To win at 24 hours, your engine has to hold up for 24 hours....the MG turbo four cylinder hasn't done it yet.... // Maybe the Judd 3.4 that will be badged as an MG-XPower engine for the 675s will be the answer...
I've always been sceptic about the Judd engine... 'till last year. I thought that this engine was definitely not done for 24 hours races... and I was wrong. Question of time, preparation, work, I don't know, but I woulnd't bury so fast the MG engine. If they have enough time, performances (speed) and reliability can marry for 24 hours... remember the Dallaras last year, after sooooooo many years of nice cars with Judd engines, running the 2, 4, 8 or 12 hours of LM, but never the whole race...
Old 8 Jan 2003, 17:33 (Ref:467520)   #150
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Point well made....and well-taken....maybe the MGs get too worked up before the race with the "X-Power Girls" standing around the cars....I'd love to see them go the distance and get a good spot on the podium