Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 15 Nov 2011, 22:52 (Ref:2986979)   #126
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
This car is basically the Pratt & Miller design for the LMP-EVO category, designed in 2008, for introduction in 2010, before the ACO changed their minds.

From most angles, it is a decent looking car. It does appear to have a sizeable aero advantage over current cars, and will be very hard to equalize, particularly at races like Daytona. But I am just a casual observer, and you`d be best to wait on an educated opinion from Fuller on this.
Old 15 Nov 2011, 23:11 (Ref:2986990)   #127
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Old 15 Nov 2011, 23:25 (Ref:2987000)   #128
Danske
Veteran

Danske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
It does appear to have a sizeable aero advantage over current cars, and will be very hard to equalize, particularly at races like Daytona.
Grand-Am did mention possibly requiring the DPG3s to run a dual-element rear wing to put more in the air-stream opened-up by the smaller greenhouse, so they're at least thinking about that as well. They could, theoretically, specify a second element that's near useless but for creating drag.
Quote:
But I am just a casual observer, and you`d be best to wait on an educated opinion from Fuller on this.
Pfft. This is the internets; we're all experts here! I'm just figuring that anything that's different from the DP2 Riley, but which had been legal before, is required but detrimental now. By that measure, the vertical front to the nose and the higher sidepods are bad somehow, and I wouldn't be surprised if they do offset the lower frontal area from the new greenhouse. Not to say there's nothing to consider, but if the fat brick of the Camaro can win in GT then things can probably be worked-out.
Old 15 Nov 2011, 23:28 (Ref:2987004)   #129
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Just a correction on my post above... that isn't a clay model, it is a fully functioning wind tunnel model I'm told, that saw time in the wind tunnels.

Last edited by Fogelhund; 15 Nov 2011 at 23:35.
Old 15 Nov 2011, 23:40 (Ref:2987008)   #130
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
That is absolutely GORGEOUS.
Old 15 Nov 2011, 23:50 (Ref:2987009)   #131
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
^Comparitively speaking? I think the carbon fiber model is gorgeous but not so much the Vette dp3. Looks better than the current DP's though.
Old 15 Nov 2011, 23:56 (Ref:2987011)   #132
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
^Comparitively speaking? I think the carbon fiber model is gorgeous but not so much the Vette dp3. Looks better than the current DP's though.

It's the same basic design. What's the difference? One was going to race at LM, and was therefore gorgeous, and the other in Grand Am so ugly?
Old 16 Nov 2011, 00:49 (Ref:2987027)   #133
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
It's the same basic design. What's the difference? One was going to race at LM, and was therefore gorgeous, and the other in Grand Am so ugly?
There are some angles in the bodywork that don't work as well aesthetically as compared to the wind-tunnel model for the LMP-Evo car. The new Corvette looks far more like a Chase DP.

Chris
Old 16 Nov 2011, 01:44 (Ref:2987043)   #134
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
The good thing is, GM don't have Ganassi... so even if the Corvette should be at a slight advantage over the other cars, I don't see a run away victory for them.

And then, the cars are still Rileys, Coyotes or Dallaras underneath, this is in the end just a bodykit - a fact that DeLorenzo fails to mention at all....
Agreed, underneath these are basically the same old DP's. yes there are a few upgraded parts for 2012, but I don't see those making as big of a difference as the new aero associated with the bodykits. The fact that underneath the cars are still Rileys, Coyotes or Dallaras won't make as much difference as before since all the Vette versions have same aero and engine, and all the other spec parts.
Old 16 Nov 2011, 03:33 (Ref:2987078)   #135
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Look at the greenhouse for starters, it's taller and the side windows are much more vertical (this feature always made DP cars look like tanks to me). The rear fenders are completely different too. The DP car is not as curvy. It's basically GTP vs. DP
Old 16 Nov 2011, 03:50 (Ref:2987084)   #136
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
In my opinion, some people made their mind up knowing that it was for Grand Am, and a tube framer. Had the same design been a carbon fibre chassis, for LM, people would be saying how great it looks. It's just that kind of world.
Old 16 Nov 2011, 05:00 (Ref:2987090)   #137
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
In my opinion, some people made their mind up knowing that it was for Grand Am, and a tube framer. Had the same design been a carbon fibre chassis, for LM, people would be saying how great it looks. It's just that kind of world.
Exactly. If this were a venture by anyone else, and had Team Corvette working on a car for it, it would be hailed as a serious challenger to the ALMS.
Old 16 Nov 2011, 05:56 (Ref:2987094)   #138
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I actually like Grand Am, so before you think the reason for my opinions is that you're wrong. It does look SOMEWHAT like the carbon model, but only in shape. The model is lower, looks wider, more complex and something that should be running at the front of the field at LaSarthe. The new Vette DP looks good, but not nearly like the model would look like if it were the real deal.
Old 16 Nov 2011, 12:27 (Ref:2987198)   #139
trahsub
Racer

United States
Long Island, NY
trahsub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Like it or not, this car is a step in the right direction, even if it's just asthetics for the most part. GA is actively trying to attact prospects, whereas our beloved ALMS just relys on the well oiled machine (ha!). ALMS needs to react to the slap in the face it just got (PLM exclusion) and show the series is a real player in today's sport car world. Complacency is a death wish.
Old 16 Nov 2011, 14:27 (Ref:2987236)   #140
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by trahsub View Post
Like it or not, this car is a step in the right direction, even if it's just asthetics for the most part. GA is actively trying to attact prospects, whereas our beloved ALMS just relys on the well oiled machine (ha!).
Exactly, GA took a big step forward with the DPG3 regs. One of the big complaints about DP's was that they were ugly, GM has certainly turned that perception around for many of us. For me, aesthetics were only one issue with the DP's, now that they look better we can focus on the other deficiencies!
Old 16 Nov 2011, 17:35 (Ref:2987317)   #141
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Makes me wish GM Goodwrench was still around...just to get the old Corvette GTP livery back on.
Old 16 Nov 2011, 17:39 (Ref:2987320)   #142
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Makes me wish GM Goodwrench was still around...just to get the old Corvette GTP livery back on.
Amen. At the unveiling they talked about Hendrick's GTP car, and they had it on display. Quite cool. It was based on a Lola that also was the roots of one of the Nissans, right?

Chris
Old 16 Nov 2011, 18:08 (Ref:2987331)   #143
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Corvette DP doesn't look bad. It's definitely in the right direction, and it almost looks like and late 90's GT1 car. Here's hoping for a Ford GT or BMW M6 bodywork.
Old 16 Nov 2011, 19:41 (Ref:2987384)   #144
TF110
Veteran

United States
I'd think they'd go Mustang bodywork, but the 6 series would work for Ganassi, but think about it... BMW has the M3DTM- they're just as fast as DP's. I think the future may lead to those types of cars? I'd go that route and help link up GA with DTM and SuperGT. Just what I think though.
Old 16 Nov 2011, 20:24 (Ref:2987399)   #145
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS" View Post
The Corvette DP doesn't look bad. It's definitely in the right direction, and it almost looks like and late 90's GT1 car. Here's hoping for a Ford GT or BMW M6 bodywork.
Yeah, I think that the DPG3 is a real attempt to fix the problems that arose with their first generation DPs. They wanted a lot of road-resemblance in the cars but it didn't quite turn out that way. This Corvette is the first of what I hope is many cars that look somewhat like what is on the road. A Cayman- or 911-based Porsche would be cool, would be quite reminiscent of the 911 GT1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
I'd think they'd go Mustang bodywork, but the 6 series would work for Ganassi, but think about it... BMW has the M3DTM- they're just as fast as DP's. I think the future may lead to those types of cars? I'd go that route and help link up GA with DTM and SuperGT. Just what I think though.
I'm not sure if there is a future for a Rolex Series tie-in with DTM, as it seems there will simply be an American DTM series, cool idea though.

Chris
Old 17 Nov 2011, 01:17 (Ref:2987483)   #146
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
John Dagys on Twitter:

Quote:
Just spoke with Bill Riley to get an update on Riley Tech's DPG3. Four cars expected for Rolex 24, bringing total DPG3 grid up to 9.

Will have a story updating DPG3 progress tomorrow, which will hopefully give a glimpse of what could be in the pipeline.
Wondering who will all get a new Riley...

1 Shank
2 Ganassi
1 ???

Starworks would be a logical choice with Bill Riley being their engineer, but then why just one car?

OTOH, I've been reading some forum rumors about Ganassi building their own BMW-inspired bodywork, so Ganassi might not be among the four generic Riley-teams, so maybe it's more like

1 Shank
2 Starworks
1 ??? (is the Pickett thing still on?)

with a total of 11 DPG3 cars...

Either way, looking forward to John's article.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 01:52 (Ref:2987492)   #147
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
I interpreted those numbers to be for Daytona only, so maybe some won't run whole season, or maybe some chassis won't be ready in time?
Old 17 Nov 2011, 01:58 (Ref:2987495)   #148
Danske
Veteran

Danske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't recall if this has been voiced quite this explicitly, but I'd expect the "generic" Riley bodywork to have some advantage over the Corvette DP, being unmolested by styling cues, although more money may have been thrown at the Corvette and the rules engineered such that styling cues are not an insurmountable disadvantage.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 02:21 (Ref:2987501)   #149
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I interpreted those numbers to be for Daytona only, so maybe some won't run whole season, or maybe some chassis won't be ready in time?
Right, there could be a few on-offs in there. Here's what I think we'll see for the season:

Worst Case:
1 Ganassi BMW-Riley
2 Starworks Ford Riley
1 Shank Ford Riley
1 Wayne Taylor Corvette
1 GAINSCO Corvette
2 AEX Corvette
1 SoD Corvette

Possible Additions:
1 Doran Dallara
3rd Starworks Ford Riley
2nd Shank Ford Riley
1 ???

One-offs for Daytona/NAEC (various degrees of certainty):
2nd Ganassi
1 Predator BMW Riley
1 Krohn Lola
1 Pickett Riley
1 SoD Coyote (team had an old style car at the test today)

It's not great, but GT should be a barn burner with 20+ cars for the season and the new cars in DP should help with the excitement there...
Old 17 Nov 2011, 13:16 (Ref:2987718)   #150
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Right, there could be a few on-offs in there. Here's what I think we'll see for the season:

Worst Case:
1 Ganassi BMW-Riley
2 Starworks Ford Riley
1 Shank Ford Riley
1 Wayne Taylor Corvette
1 GAINSCO Corvette
2 AEX Corvette
1 SoD Corvette

Possible Additions:
1 Doran Dallara
3rd Starworks Ford Riley
2nd Shank Ford Riley
1 ???

One-offs for Daytona/NAEC (various degrees of certainty):
2nd Ganassi
1 Predator BMW Riley
1 Krohn Lola
1 Pickett Riley
1 SoD Coyote (team had an old style car at the test today)

It's not great, but GT should be a barn burner with 20+ cars for the season and the new cars in DP should help with the excitement there...
That DP list looks pretty good. Pickett just announced he won't do Daytona so they can prep their new car for the Sebring test in early February.

Any word on a team running an R8 for Daytona or later?