Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 18 Jan 2014, 21:56 (Ref:3355708)   #151
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wonderfull indeed Iain, super day. Nice Wigan Pie, not one of Andrew's I'm afraid, a decent result, PW tickets bought, DW wound up, Monaco in prospect, what more can a man need.....
Old 22 Jan 2014, 19:10 (Ref:3357166)   #152
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A secret filming of the recent RAC MSA meeting, where the latest rules were discussed, has been passed to me.

I thought that you may be interested to see it before the public gets to view democracy truly at work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfPzWbDja2Q
Old 23 Jan 2014, 21:37 (Ref:3357636)   #153
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
A secret filming of the recent RAC MSA meeting, where the latest rules were discussed, has been passed to me.

I thought that you may be interested to see it before the public gets to view democracy truly at work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfPzWbDja2Q
There are people out there afraid to say this...but I will

FANTASTIC (and never a truer word said in Jest ? (notice this question mark))
Old 25 Jan 2014, 13:46 (Ref:3358435)   #154
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Day started of well, Pedaling away to work this morning and you reeker a £20.00 note in the middle of the road. "That will pay for breakfast".
Couple of miles futher on there are three cyclist on racers all dressed up in licra and they are off their bikes walking around looking for something.
Hmmmmmmmmmm. that £20.00 note I guess.
YOU LOOKING FOR A £20.00 NOTE I SHOUT. yes came the reply. Hey Ho.Good deed done might win lotto tonight.
Do you know what they then came steaming past me, "Bast---s.
Old 25 Jan 2014, 14:02 (Ref:3358443)   #155
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Delta and the Art of Asking the Bleedin' Obvious.

"Are you looking for a £20 note?"

There's only one answer I'd give, whether I was or not...........
Old 25 Jan 2014, 15:12 (Ref:3358470)   #156
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
YOU LOOKING FOR A £20.00 NOTE I SHOUT. yes came the reply. Hey Ho.Good deed done might win lotto tonight.
Good job they weren't looking for your credit card and pin number then.
Old 25 Jan 2014, 16:57 (Ref:3358527)   #157
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I thought I was going to get some stick
Old 25 Jan 2014, 17:27 (Ref:3358544)   #158
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I do remember many moons ago in the early morning crush to get into Silverstone on GP morning from the campsite as the gates opened (intending to pay on the gate, as you did, then)......and there in front of me was a ticket, complete with paddock pass.......as I picked it up, I briefly thought of asking "Anyone dropped a ticket"........before deciding that by the time I'd finished interviewing all the applicants the race would have been over........

Guilty of stealing by finding I guess.......but I've lived with the shame, over the years.......
Old 25 Jan 2014, 18:39 (Ref:3358579)   #159
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks for the laugh, Iain and responders. Wish my bike ride home had been as interesting. Thunderstorm, hooley, soaked......

If anyone hasn't ventured on to the F1 '2014 launch' thread, more laughs to be had there with the discussion on new noses......

Old 27 Jan 2014, 08:51 (Ref:3360397)   #160
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Talking of noses.... saw this sticking out in a line of Citroen DS's at a car show yesterday. Think it was a 1973 model and had been 'home converted' to a convertible after 2003. I suspect it might flex a bit here and there but it looked very good 'in the flesh'.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0607.jpg  
Old 27 Jan 2014, 09:30 (Ref:3360409)   #161
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
DS- Still an amazing looking car. What a pity they didn't have an equally advanced engine to go with the rest of the package. Having said that, probably enough complication in period with the suspension and brakes for most people to cope with!

Rover 2000s and equivalent Triumph were discussed recently, and again the Rover was very advanced in some areas, but boasted a rather coarse 4 cyl lump, as opposed to the TRs silky smooth 6. (OK, Rover was at least OHC.) But then I am biased, having been lucky enough to pass my test in time to drive the family Tr2000 estate and Mum's TR5. Before the latter, she had a 1600 Vitesse 6, which was gutless but very sweet...... The estate was eventually px'd for an Oz V8 Valiant Estate, and I learned a lot about handling driving that, especially in the rain or snow!

Old 27 Jan 2014, 10:01 (Ref:3360419)   #162
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Iain's got an amusing story about a DS convertible...
Old 27 Jan 2014, 14:26 (Ref:3360516)   #163
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Click image for larger version

Name:	Angelem p[arade 3.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	294.6 KB
ID:	41955
Here's the picture, I will have to tell the story a bit later.Got to work sorry.
Old 28 Jan 2014, 07:48 (Ref:3360920)   #164
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
DS- Still an amazing looking car. What a pity they didn't have an equally advanced engine to go with the rest of the package. Having said that, probably enough complication in period with the suspension and brakes for most people to cope with!

I used to work on those in the 60s and the engine was just an updated version of the old Light 15 (Maigret) mobile, and yes they were a sod to work on at the time !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 28 Jan 2014, 08:43 (Ref:3360942)   #165
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Rover 2000s and equivalent Triumph were discussed recently, and again the Rover was very advanced in some areas, but boasted a rather coarse 4 cyl lump, as opposed to the TRs silky smooth 6. (OK, Rover was at least OHC.) But then I am biased, having been lucky enough to pass my test in time to drive the family Tr2000 estate and Mum's TR5. Before the latter, she had a 1600 Vitesse 6, which was gutless but very sweet...... The estate was eventually px'd for an Oz V8 Valiant Estate, and I learned a lot about handling driving that, especially in the rain or snow!

Wow , that's weird, Mike. I learnt to drive and passed my test in my Dad's Triumph 2000 and one of the first cars I drove on a regular basis was my Mum's 1600 Vitesse 6. Later I had a TR4 which was quite lively but cosmetically challenged as I couldn't afford a good one!.
Old 28 Jan 2014, 09:21 (Ref:3360960)   #166
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmm, you both have beards and never seen in the same place at the same time..............
Old 28 Jan 2014, 09:28 (Ref:3360964)   #167
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Old 28 Jan 2014, 12:38 (Ref:3361046)   #168
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Hmm, you both have beards and never seen in the same place at the same time..............

The Ten Tenths Twilight zone!!!!
Old 28 Jan 2014, 12:47 (Ref:3361048)   #169
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post

Just a slight difference in height, however...........
Old 28 Jan 2014, 12:54 (Ref:3361052)   #170
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Just a slight difference in height, however...........
Gravity field variances ... probably.
Old 28 Jan 2014, 18:06 (Ref:3361175)   #171
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
What was the reg on your TR4 John. Mine was XKV 460.
Old 28 Jan 2014, 18:34 (Ref:3361194)   #172
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
What was the reg on your TR4 John. Mine was XKV 460.
My dad had a Mk1 and a Mk2 Triumph 2000, the latter was reg FYK337J, I've just checked the DVLA site and It's officially still registered although not taxed since 1988. I wonder if It's still around.
Old 28 Jan 2014, 21:45 (Ref:3361281)   #173
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I still have fond memories of my 1600 Vitesse - sweet little engine, and I still remember the novelty of watching the rev counter and speedo swinging around in synchronicity in top gear.....

Mind you my car history to then had been Austin A35 Van, Hillman Imp, Mk 1 Cortina 1200.......

Had to replace the Vitesse with an MG1100 for insurance reasons

And in true sad anorak fashion, I can of course remember all the registration numbers from 40-odd years ago!
Old 28 Jan 2014, 22:04 (Ref:3361295)   #174
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
I can still remember now the first time we fired up my GT6 Modsports car. What a sweet noise, think I cried.
Old 28 Jan 2014, 22:05 (Ref:3361297)   #175
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Ah BTW its XVG 460. Sorry.
Closed Thread