Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 16 Sep 2011, 20:57 (Ref:2956576)   #151
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
That's a whole lot of theory... without much behind it.
Herr Ullrich has said publicly and has been quoted publicly on the record as saying that any ALMS or LMS deals for the R18 or any other LMP1 program would have to be paid for mostly by Audi's regional importers.

Audi of America ,as it stand now, would seemingly rather spend their advertising budget and motorsports budget (which it seems that both budgets are one and the same at AoA) on anything other than an ALMS program.

And it's well known that money--or rather who'd pay for what--is what killed the 2011 ALMS plans for Audi in the 11th hour, and caused their pull-out after '08, because Audi AG wanted to focus on LM and what would become the ILMC/WEC, and Audi of America was unable--or unwilling--to fill the gap for the ALMS, and it seems that nothing has changed on that front, or will change any time soon.

Thankfully, Audi is the only ALMS LMP1 program that the WEC has poached, but the loss of Audi killed off a ton of the credibility that the LMP1 class had, which was already suffering for numbers of entries outside of Audi and a few dedicated privateers since '06 and even earlier than that if I'm honest.
Old 16 Sep 2011, 21:24 (Ref:2956583)   #152
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Audi Racer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Félix View Post
The R10 and 908 were trucks (relatively speaking) and only had trick engines. The RS Spyder was arguably much more advanced and it was made available to numerous privateers because it was intented this way from the start.
And i suppose this "truck" of a 908 kept getting covered by blue blankets in 2007/2008/2009 because they wanted to keep it warm?
Old 16 Sep 2011, 21:30 (Ref:2956590)   #153
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So here are the details of the Unlimited Racing Championship: http://www.americanlemans.com/primar...cat=news|16255
Old 16 Sep 2011, 22:24 (Ref:2956627)   #154
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
So here are the details of the Unlimited Racing Championship: http://www.americanlemans.com/primary1.php?cat=news|16255
I've been saying a support series of old bad ass replicas like Cobras would be great too see. This looks really REALLY cool, but not sure about the marketability of it. Honestly, I don't give a damn about the marketability because I will probably thoroughly enjoy seeing these types of cars driven in out right anger.
Old 16 Sep 2011, 23:41 (Ref:2956666)   #155
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, and it is arrive and drive. Easier to get in and run than the Ferrari Challenge.

Chris
Old 17 Sep 2011, 00:49 (Ref:2956686)   #156
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
well, I am understanding fogelhund's mention of M8F's....and this sounds cool, but what in the world does it do for ALMS/IMSA? Is it fan retention (in the face of a status quo for the main event in 2012)?
Old 17 Sep 2011, 01:19 (Ref:2956694)   #157
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You're telling me you wouldn't want to have this series with 700-800hp Can-Am style race cars as part of your race weekend? Damnit I want to drive one of those cars!
Old 17 Sep 2011, 02:14 (Ref:2956704)   #158
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Another spec series, hooray! The petrol vs diesel Forum whiners will love this. Certainly sounds more interesting than Patron *GT3* Cup or IMSA Lites though.
Old 17 Sep 2011, 03:13 (Ref:2956717)   #159
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi Racer View Post
Its hard to try to make the R18 a customer car when your still making wholesale changes to it. Its downright inconveneient to have to make al lthe spare parts for all the teams like Muscle Milk and Penske for any updates you make to the R18(Especially if you later decided to scrap the update).....Its really inconvenient to sell an unfinished product and still be developing it. thinking back to the penske porsches and dyson porsches, Dyson wasnt happy with the support they where getting from Porsche which was nonexistent. They got their DFI engines the latest of everyone. when the rs spyder was stopped being developed then it was a customer purchase frenzy(navi team goh, essex, van merksteijn, cytosport etc.)

Same migth be said of acura. The fernandez team got the short end of the stick in the acura camp. They where the last oget any of the upgrades. Highcroft was often the first and considered the factory acura team....
While I agree on the one hand, since costs are so high these days, too many changes or even worse unsuccessful ones would be the detriment of any program. However, one of the most successful and longest-lived customer prototypes of all time, the 962, had various teams that were first tier, second, etc. Al Holbert did all the development on his own car for IMSA, often beating his own customers, before selling them on to them and moving forward with the next, newest, latest and greatest.

At some point it has to be 'good enough' to sell to customers, if that is ever a plan.
Old 17 Sep 2011, 03:58 (Ref:2956728)   #160
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
And it's been said that IMSA/FIA/ACO homologation has been a source of restricted development, along with the factories being reluctant to allow teams to do a lot of R&D work on those cars--Audi offered Rob and Chris Dyson a couple of R8s circa 2004 or '05, but Rob and Chris got put off because Audi Sport wouldn't give them the free reign to develop the cars like they could the old R&S Mk III and their Lolas. I'll bet you that they also had similar issues with the RS Spyder in '07 and '08.
Old 17 Sep 2011, 04:32 (Ref:2956732)   #161
Nick6
Racer

United States
Nick6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Another spec series, hooray! The petrol vs diesel Forum whiners will love this. Certainly sounds more interesting than Patron *GT3* Cup or IMSA Lites though.
Ironic considering the name isn't it. I thought it would at least be unlimited in body designs or such, but I guess I was wrong.
Old 17 Sep 2011, 06:02 (Ref:2956745)   #162
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I guess the significant thing about that article if the numerous reference to the 2012 American 'Le Mans' series.

They would be saying that if they were about to split
Old 17 Sep 2011, 08:20 (Ref:2956765)   #163
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Carsandmotorracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
So here are the details of the Unlimited Racing Championship: http://www.americanlemans.com/primar...cat=news|16255
Yes yes yes
Old 17 Sep 2011, 12:23 (Ref:2956836)   #164
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchZ06 View Post
You're telling me you wouldn't want to have this series with 700-800hp Can-Am style race cars as part of your race weekend? Damnit I want to drive one of those cars!
Don't get me wrong, the M8F was always my childhood wet dream of a race car. Honking thunder and speed and flash. Scary to think that was forty years ago.... Anyway...in the uber competitive chase for media mention, let alone coverage it seems like it competes for that media coverage.

It also doesn't 'fix' the ALMS does it? How does it turn around the grid for the ALMS?
Old 17 Sep 2011, 13:29 (Ref:2956867)   #165
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
I agree it does nothing for the ALMS grids and races, more for the weekend as a whole. I do think that in time these will draw a crowd on their own if the execution isn't sissified. This could be a good thing, I wonder how long before it's screwed up.
Old 17 Sep 2011, 13:40 (Ref:2956870)   #166
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
I wonder how long before it's screwed up.
The compass does seem to have issues. Well, I hope for the best, these things are going to be cool to see and I am going to go check the piggy bank to see if I can play ---

It is weird to think a big announcement in US road racing is about a spec series for a modern reproduction of a four decade old car --- but they did pick the right car.....
Old 17 Sep 2011, 13:57 (Ref:2956876)   #167
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
M6GT would've been cooler
Old 17 Sep 2011, 14:23 (Ref:2956882)   #168
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Unlimited & Spec are pretty much opposite ends of the scale.
Aside from the innapropriate name, as cool as the cars might look, WHY?
LMPC, IMSA lites, URC (& in europe SPEED/VdeV) - again, why are they all in their own little world when their basic formula could be mixed in & give us some diversity
Old 17 Sep 2011, 17:04 (Ref:2956925)   #169
Nick6
Racer

United States
Nick6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think it will go far. They might be lucky to hold a season next year but I don't see anything else after that. Who the hell is this "Southwestern Performance" anyways? I've been following this sport for sometime now and have never heard of this company until now.
Old 17 Sep 2011, 17:24 (Ref:2956933)   #170
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Twice as much as an actual Historic Can Am car with history....

I wonder who will buy into this. It would be great to watch 20 of these cars from trackside, but it might just be one of those circumstances that is an answer to a question nobody asked.
Old 17 Sep 2011, 17:29 (Ref:2956936)   #171
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Herr Ullrich has said publicly and has been quoted publicly on the record as saying that any ALMS or LMS deals for the R18 or any other LMP1 program would have to be paid for mostly by Audi's regional importers.
What he is saying, is Audi AG won't pay. If a qualified independent, with enough money came along..... You don't know whether Pickett has the budget or not, or wishes to spend what it costs.

Regarding two vs. one car... there isn't any evidence to choose either way. Goh, Champion, Johannson all ran with one car.....
Old 17 Sep 2011, 17:54 (Ref:2956947)   #172
Danske
Veteran

Danske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Twice as much as an actual Historic Can Am car with history....
Yes, but would an actual Can-Am car be as safe, easy, fun and comfortable as these are advertised to be?
Old 17 Sep 2011, 18:12 (Ref:2956956)   #173
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
What does Unlimited help ALMS? It can give IMSA some fresh cash to reinvest in ALMS. It can help individual ALMS drivers run a sprint race and get some credit on their own. It can attract more fans to the racetrack.
Old 17 Sep 2011, 20:11 (Ref:2957008)   #174
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
cash to reinvest in ALMS.
I really hope they invest it in the ALMS.

Chris
Old 17 Sep 2011, 20:14 (Ref:2957011)   #175
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
I've been wondering, why can't GT3 cars be adjusted to perform at the same level as the GTE cars? Surely on pace they can be equalised? That'd open the way for the SLS, R8 LMS, MP4, etc to be entered in the US series helping to boost the grid numbers (maybe?).