Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Oct 2017, 16:19 (Ref:3771537)   #151
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
I disagree that the close racing is due to the aero configuration. It is the fact that there is only one chassis, one body, and two well controlled engines. 'Damn well better be close but I'm not interested when I know that it closer be because they are the same. Amateurish to please the masses.
In their own way, NASCAR and BoPing is the same bs to "even" the playing field. I don't want to see the "playing field" (I've raced many things and never considered it "playing" anything...) "evened". I want to see the best design and race the best, otherwise I'd just follow those series.

Prior to wings and ground effects, the racing was no closer (so much for your aero reason) and that's fine with me. We're watching the best ply their trades.....whoever comes out on top deserves it.
It just so happens to be a fact, whether that's one chassis or multiple chassis, that downforce produced by the aero on the upper surface of the car produces more drag and therefore a bigger wake, making it very hard to get close to the car in front. That's why F1 brought in DRS and if that's not manufactured I don't know what is?

Prior to wings and ground effect, I'll need to watch some old races. .
Old 3 Oct 2017, 16:49 (Ref:3771546)   #152
Number4
Racer

England
The Dead South
Number4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
It just so happens to be a fact, whether that's one chassis or multiple chassis, that downforce produced by the aero on the upper surface of the car produces more drag and therefore a bigger wake, making it very hard to get close to the car in front. That's why F1 brought in DRS and if that's not manufactured I don't know what is?

Prior to wings and ground effect, I'll need to watch some old races. .
DRS is manufactured amateurish BS which balances performance to even the playing field in order to please the masses.

Last edited by Number4; 3 Oct 2017 at 17:07.
Old 3 Oct 2017, 17:41 (Ref:3771557)   #153
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'll go with amateurish and probably please the masses. But it doesn't balance performance. Quite the opposite.
Old 3 Oct 2017, 19:09 (Ref:3771569)   #154
Number4
Racer

England
The Dead South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I'll go with amateurish and probably please the masses. But it doesn't balance performance. Quite the opposite.
Damn it! I went a quote too far.
How about this...........

DRS is manufactured amateurish BS which UNbalances performance to even the playing field in order to please the masses.
Old 3 Oct 2017, 19:21 (Ref:3771571)   #155
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Old 3 Oct 2017, 21:24 (Ref:3771601)   #156
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just one further thought on the Vettel/Stroll thing: the Williams is a lot stronger than the Ferrari.

And on a different subject, I reckon that little ding-dong between Stroll and Massa would have brought a smile to Sir Frank's lips. Super hard racing and not a touch. (Or maybe just a little touch.)
Old 3 Oct 2017, 21:28 (Ref:3771604)   #157
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I just spotted this: https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...n-crash-damage

American litigation culture comes to F1!
Old 3 Oct 2017, 21:58 (Ref:3771615)   #158
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
Just one further thought on the Vettel/Stroll thing: the Williams is a lot stronger than the Ferrari.

And on a different subject, I reckon that little ding-dong between Stroll and Massa would have brought a smile to Sir Frank's lips. Super hard racing and not a touch. (Or maybe just a little touch.)
When was this?

Or do you mean when Massa was instructed to let him by after Stroll complained on the radio that it wasn't fair?
Old 3 Oct 2017, 22:08 (Ref:3771617)   #159
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
What was the conversation?
(I missed it as I was getting ready to go out and only heard a comment from Brundle about Stroll saying somethingabout the pitstop)
Old 3 Oct 2017, 22:14 (Ref:3771620)   #160
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Massa jumped Stroll during the stops. Stroll complained on the radio that it wasn't fair. Short delay presumably while contract was checked. Team radios Massa to move over. All so clumsy Vandoorne got by (presumably not in his contract, LOL).

It's going to be "fun" for whoever is chosen to be their second driver next year!
Old 3 Oct 2017, 23:00 (Ref:3771628)   #161
Number4
Racer

England
The Dead South
Quote:

Seems perfectly fair. I posted earlier about Walter Brun suing Montreal when a loose drain cover destroyed his Group C Porsche. That was 1990. I can't find out if he was successful or not.

F1 signed off the track, and it was sub standard welding that destroyed an expensive race car. It could easily have been fatal.

I'm sure I could weld a drain cover shut so that you would need a back hoe to ever open it again. The city council will want the minimum weld so they only need a grinder to open it again.
Old 4 Oct 2017, 03:57 (Ref:3771666)   #162
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number4 View Post
It could easily have been fatal.
If he had been 300mm to the right and it tore through the tub you may well have been right.
Old 4 Oct 2017, 04:20 (Ref:3771668)   #163
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Insurance not covering it?
Old 4 Oct 2017, 09:36 (Ref:3771710)   #164
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Insurance not covering it?
I think insurance companies draw the line just before formula 1.
Old 4 Oct 2017, 10:38 (Ref:3771720)   #165
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ospi View Post
I think insurance companies draw the line just before formula 1.
Really?

I can't imagine anyone moving multi million dollar pieces of equipment around the world without insurance.
Old 4 Oct 2017, 11:21 (Ref:3771732)   #166
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I'm sure the track itself will have some kind of liability insurance.
Old 4 Oct 2017, 11:21 (Ref:3771733)   #167
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It's not acceptable when things like this happen, they need to double check these things in future
Old 4 Oct 2017, 12:45 (Ref:3771763)   #168
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Really?

I can't imagine anyone moving multi million dollar pieces of equipment around the world without insurance.
I don't know for sure how it works with f1 but I believe they have insurance for transportation etc etc but not once the cars are actually in track. Happy to be proven wrong though.
Old 4 Oct 2017, 16:11 (Ref:3771798)   #169
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'd be very surprised if the track isn't covered against such an obvious negligence claim.
Old 4 Oct 2017, 17:35 (Ref:3771833)   #170
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I'd be very surprised if the track isn't covered against such an obvious negligence claim.
Not entirely sure but I don't think it would be negligence. The track was inspected before the event and there's no evidence that they were aware of the problem but chose not to act.
Old 4 Oct 2017, 18:50 (Ref:3771846)   #171
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I suppose it depends on the level of scrutiny that an event of this nature demands, doesn't it, bearing in mind the inherent danger that can be caused by any track failure. A poorly welded drain cover that wasn't spotted sounds like it has potential to me. What are the chances that they actually inspected them?
Old 4 Oct 2017, 19:58 (Ref:3771859)   #172
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well the problem arises where one sees a problem but does nothing about it knowing there may be severe consequences. And there is always the caveat that motorsport is dangerous. Unless someone has a specification for the welding and it wasn't followed then this probably falls into the unfortunate accident pile.
Old 4 Oct 2017, 20:33 (Ref:3771866)   #173
Number4
Racer

England
The Dead South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Well the problem arises where one sees a problem but does nothing about it knowing there may be severe consequences. And there is always the caveat that motorsport is dangerous. Unless someone has a specification for the welding and it wasn't followed then this probably falls into the unfortunate accident pile.
Manholes and drains have been welded, bolted and tethered for so long that no doubt a rule has been broken by the track owners.
Old 4 Oct 2017, 23:13 (Ref:3771886)   #174
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number4 View Post
Manholes and drains have been welded, bolted and tethered for so long that no doubt a rule has been broken by the track owners.
The owners prepared the track and presented it to the FIA for inspection.
The FIA inspection team accepted the track.

I suspect part of the problem is that it is pretty well impossible to weld a cast grating to a cold rolled frame!

The actual problem is probably with the FIA preparation spec that the gratings be "welded down".
Old 5 Oct 2017, 15:52 (Ref:3772107)   #175
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Does this clip change anyone's mind about the Stroll / Vettel incident? :

https://wtf1.com/post/theres-finally...rolls-onboard/