Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 20 Feb 2007, 20:02 (Ref:1846713)   #151
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid
Or why don't the MSA email us all suggesting how we can be involved? etc
Send them money.
Old 21 Feb 2007, 09:02 (Ref:1847072)   #152
Jim Spencer
Rookie

Jim Spencer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The dates for National Motor sport week are in the newsletter that was sent to all the clubs last week.
Old 21 Feb 2007, 09:23 (Ref:1847090)   #153
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good start sending it to clubs, wouldn't hurt to have decent press releases to the rags and competitors. Hope NMW is better than last year, the major activity was a golf match fer petessake. How ivory tower is that?

Someone take me away before I start ranting again..............

PS <Off topic> AU N EGL - Golden Eagle? </Off topic>
Old 21 Feb 2007, 09:56 (Ref:1847125)   #154
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
National Motorsport Week was thought up by Chris Aylett of the MIA - he is very keen for the industry to help the grass roots of the sport. The MSA jumped on the bandwagon sometime after it was announced. Hence the golf match (for industry types) but if more clubs got behind it (cars in supermarkets?) then it would certainly work
Old 21 Feb 2007, 10:18 (Ref:1847142)   #155
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Oaksnaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Formula Vee are doing their bit in Aus for increased participation with an open day at Calder Park this Saturday. Anyone can have a drive of a vehicle and there will be plenty of people there to answer any queries too.
Old 21 Feb 2007, 10:58 (Ref:1847186)   #156
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
National Motorsport Week was thought up by Chris Aylett of the MIA - he is very keen for the industry to help the grass roots of the sport. The MSA jumped on the bandwagon sometime after it was announced. Hence the golf match (for industry types) but if more clubs got behind it (cars in supermarkets?) then it would certainly work
Sam, for your guide I have been quoted upwards of £700 to have a marketing stand for the BMMC with a car on it at a major shopping centre with a very good throughput of customers. That does not include the cost of getting myself and the car/driver there, nor does it include the cost of various insurance policies they want in place before they give the go ahead. So you see even that is not as easy as you might think sadly.
Old 21 Feb 2007, 12:48 (Ref:1847249)   #157
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman

PS <Off topic> AU N EGL - Golden Eagle? </Off topic>
AKA Tom
Old 21 Feb 2007, 15:14 (Ref:1847338)   #158
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Stephen - Bluewater? Try talking to the marketing department, get yourself in there as an attraction that may increase interest for their shoppers. Offer to run an extraction demo or summat (OK, if that's a bad idea, you get my drift). Go in there as a club looking to increase members and you'll get charged commercial rates, offer them something in return and maybe they will help out. Especially tied in with MSW. Got to be worth a try?
Old 21 Feb 2007, 19:12 (Ref:1847464)   #159
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I'm not for one minute suggesting it's not worth a try, just pointing out that there are significant costs involved. As far as the BMMC are concerned those costs come out of our membership fees and so we are carefull to spend those in ways that we think will achieve the maximum results. At the moment that is at major meetings and shows where we get the stand/trade stand donated by the organiser/circuit owner.
Old 22 Feb 2007, 08:26 (Ref:1847829)   #160
midgetman
Veteran

You missed my point Stephen. I mean got to be worth a try getting financial help i.e. FREE by approaching the mktg dept. I've never paid to display motor club stuff in a shopping centre, it's a draw for the billy bunters. Agree it's not worth paying.

Sorry not to be clear. Serves me right for posting in a hurry.
Old 22 Feb 2007, 10:12 (Ref:1847907)   #161
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Point taken and thanks for clearing it up.
Old 22 Feb 2007, 12:57 (Ref:1848037)   #162
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman
Stephen - Bluewater? Try talking to the marketing department, get yourself in there as an attraction that may increase interest for their shoppers.
Burn out contests in the mall ? Cool.

Just Kidding
Old 22 Feb 2007, 14:13 (Ref:1848087)   #163
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Midget beat me to it - its good PR for a team / driver too - For a free stand at a shopping centre - the car could carry buewater/glades/lakeside branding for the season - plus it could be made a attraction for shoppers.

Can it be done - yes - Stefan Davis did it a few months ago in Kent (not sure where) and the Babygrands did a similar thing with one of their cars made up like Lightning McQueen.
So it can be done - but I think MSV should be working with the shopping centres like the three I mentioned - promos for shoppers (win free tickets by spending X at the Glades this saturday) promos to encourage shoppers to brands - car on stands, promos to encourage fans to the shops - glades branding at the track, and plugs by the commentators.

As you see if you put thought into it things can be done but - how can we convince people that this needs to be done
Old 22 Feb 2007, 16:26 (Ref:1848191)   #164
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
So it can be done - but I think MSV should be working with the shopping centres like the three I mentioned - promos for shoppers (win free tickets by spending X at the Glades this saturday) promos to encourage shoppers to brands - car on stands, promos to encourage fans to the shops - glades branding at the track, and plugs by the commentators.

As you see if you put thought into it things can be done but - how can we convince people that this needs to be done
Could one also put flyers or stickers on the car with

" THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Call for Marketing Opportunties"

Then have a flyer with Marketign package levels of sponsorship.

Just a thought.
Old 22 Feb 2007, 17:37 (Ref:1848244)   #165
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Local Promotion

Liverpool Motor Club take part in the Southport Motorshow each year (previously called the Historic Car Show). So far we are averaging 4 new members per annum from the exercise.

It is ceratinly worthwhile doing as it not only gets the club some much needed publicity but it is also a great day out talking about cars!

Last year there were 4 exhibitors from the North West American Car Club on our stand for over half an hour just talking about big V8s!

Old 22 Feb 2007, 20:09 (Ref:1849373)   #166
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
Quote:
" THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Call for Marketing Opportunties"
It was a good idea the first few times it was done but now is a little tired - but thats the right way of going.

Steve thats exactly whats needed as an absolute minimum
Old 23 Feb 2007, 14:57 (Ref:1849928)   #167
Tony Crossley
Rookie

Tony Crossley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like the MGCC have decided to try and tackle this. I just got this in an e-mail from them (sent to all MGCC past competitors I presume).

Press & Publicity:

The MG Car Club motor racing has, in the past, been one of the better kept secrets of club motorsport. We think that should change and the Board of the Club have agreed so we are delighted to announce that JOHN HORTON has agreed to be responsible for press and publicity both before and after our meetings. John, of course, as many are aware, is the Press Officer for Rally GB and for a couple of the F1 events as well as being the Chairman of the MSA Press committee. He is very much hoping that when competitors fill in their commentator’s sheet comprehensive details of your local papers, radio and television will be provided. It is John’s task to publicise your activities where you live! Andrew Wilkins, our live wire commentator, will assist John with radio interviews before the event so stay tuned to your local radio, and read your local paper, who knows you many even feature! John Horton will also be hosting our race prize givings one for each race and we hope that this will provide a focal point for both pre-race and post race communication. Who knows we may even run to a cup of coffee. Practice and Race results will be available there and at Silverstone it will be at garages 5A, B & C. All Club members are welcome and we hope that at least one Club Director will be present.
Old 4 Mar 2007, 14:12 (Ref:1857955)   #168
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
Great stuff that the only addition I would make is put up a cash award for the best pre event PR by a competitor (only for club events) - maybe the circuits could fund it?

By the way Rallying in South East England has died in the last two weeks - there were around 10 events in 2006 but in 2007 there will be none. Longcross - closed, Rally of Kent - cancelled, Kent Rally - cancelled, Powerrush rally - cancelled.

Sprinting is likely to go the same way with North Weald increasingly under threat, Lydden questionable and increasingly expensive, Brands stupidly expensive, the only real bright sport is the return of Crystal Palace.
Old 5 Apr 2007, 10:06 (Ref:1883988)   #169
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
those of us that responded favourably to the MSA survey have been invited to a Focus Group meeting at S'stone on 3rd May, run by Performance Matters. Could be interesting !
Old 5 Apr 2007, 10:08 (Ref:1883991)   #170
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Please report back...! I responded (favourably) but never had anything back from the survey nor from the guy I emailed (who was the same one as you).
Old 6 Apr 2007, 12:07 (Ref:1884860)   #171
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
Please report back......>>>.
Will do;
you have PM BTW...
Old 30 Apr 2007, 09:58 (Ref:1903257)   #172
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
Focus Group - input requested

The Focus group meeting is this Thursday; this morning I received a copy of the 13-page 'draft plan' which is to form the agenda. Written by 'Motorsport Development UK' (whoever they are), it looks like a mandate to spend a lot of time and money crunching numbers and talking about it. It doesn't appear to me to propose DOING anything at all. The only stated objective is to increase participation by 1% a year for five years - big deal! I'm more than happy to take input from others on here before Thursday so that the views I express are more representative and not dismissed as the ramblings of an old cynic.
Please email or PM if you are in a position to help. TIA.
Old 30 Apr 2007, 20:38 (Ref:1903729)   #173
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Forget all the talk just lower the entry fees, job done!
Old 1 May 2007, 17:43 (Ref:1904403)   #174
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid
The Focus group meeting is this Thursday; this morning I received a copy of the 13-page 'draft plan' which is to form the agenda. Written by 'Motorsport Development UK' (whoever they are), it looks like a mandate to spend a lot of time and money crunching numbers and talking about it. It doesn't appear to me to propose DOING anything at all. The only stated objective is to increase participation by 1% a year for five years - big deal!
SO if there are 100 cars at an average event that is one more car per year.

Oh joy.

Typical PPL what to STUDY and not DO anything about it. Just go talk to kids and car clubs, Invite them out to track days / lapping days. That will hook them.
Old 3 May 2007, 09:47 (Ref:1905665)   #175
midgetman
Veteran

>>>>>Forget all the talk just lower the entry fees, job done!

Al instead of just banging the same old drum think creatively how you can lower the fees. Increased participation = more entries = fixed costs spread more thinly = lower entry fees - it's basic business sense.

Bet it's not just entry fees that put people off.

Let's assume all entry fees are reduced by 50%, say £100 per meeting lopped off.

How does that compare with the total cost of attending a meeting? Race car purchase & preparation, purchase of road car suitable for race support vehicle, purchase of trailer, race tyres & fuel, travel, overnight stay if required, food, fuel, opportunity cost of not doing something else etc etc ad nauseum. Bet that costs a grand a meeting if you've got a big car with a thirst for tyres and fuel.

Add that up and £100 entry reduction is pretty small beer and IMHO not the main reason for people not competing. I'm not saying a considerable reduction wouldn't be welcome, but I bet it wouldn't have the effect we crave once the novelty worn off.

Last edited by midgetman; 3 May 2007 at 09:49.