Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 15 Jun 2011, 05:33 (Ref:2899206)   #1776
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So... with 3 team cars in each squad, why dont they run different chassis with different aero settings... even if they get it wrong on one of them, there are two others taking up the slack?

Need to go back to the tortoise and hare strategies of the 90's
Old 15 Jun 2011, 06:52 (Ref:2899228)   #1777
manthey
Racer

manthey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
Yes, he helped with the development. He was for instance present in the Sebring test and the Monza test.

Kristensen mentioned on the Radio Le Mans that he was the chauffeur on the #3 car. He compared him a lot with Capello: Italian, distracted while driving them to the track, he puts the radio as loud as Dindo, ...
ok thanks. do you think the capello's seat (2012 or 2013)will be occupied by bonanomi?
Old 15 Jun 2011, 10:03 (Ref:2899326)   #1778
92scotland
Racer

United Kingdom
92scotland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid92scotland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Where did you read that the #2 Audi had a fuel pick up issue? The Audi press article states "the full 65-liter capacity could not be used." That just means that they could do 11.x laps on a full tank, but not 12. Consequently they could not run the tank completely empty.

Also note that the other 2 Audis could not do 12 lap stints either.
Eurosport interviewed Dr Ullrich during the race and he said that they could only manage 10 lap stints as there was a problem with the fuel system. The Audis could only manage 11.2-11.9 laps on a full tank during practice.
Old 15 Jun 2011, 10:06 (Ref:2899328)   #1779
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92scotland View Post
Eurosport interviewed Dr Ullrich during the race and he said that they could only manage 10 lap stints as there was a problem with the fuel system. The Audis could only manage 11.2-11.9 laps on a full tank during practice.
the problem being that the R18 consumed too much, perhaps?
Old 15 Jun 2011, 10:42 (Ref:2899345)   #1780
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
For the last time, Audi had their LM stuff at Spa, while Peugeot had to run more downforce at Spa to fix their handing problems.
That's a new version, did you get that directly from Peugeot? I thought the common opinion was that they wanted to win the race....
Old 16 Jun 2011, 07:01 (Ref:2899974)   #1781
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newsmay11.html explains how Audi uses the cockpit air to cool the engine bay. A clever trick.
Old 16 Jun 2011, 10:34 (Ref:2900112)   #1782
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Some news about the health condition of Rockenfeller. He is recovering well, but he will be replaced by Tom Kristensen for the DTM race this weekend at the Lausitzring. He will also skip the Nurburgring 24 hours.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92361
Old 16 Jun 2011, 11:50 (Ref:2900179)   #1783
Plex
Rookie

Plex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So the R18 does not have an a/c? I thought that was mandatory...
Old 16 Jun 2011, 12:02 (Ref:2900185)   #1784
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plex View Post
The cockpit temperature requirements have been changed yet another time.

In 2010:
Quote:
Maintain the temperature around the driver when the car is in motion :
  1. at 32Ā°C maximum when the external temperature is less than or equal to 32Ā°C,
  2. at a temperature less than or equal to external temperature if it is above 32Ā°C;
In 2011:
Quote:
Maintain the temperature around the driver when the car is in motion :
  1. at 32Ā°C maximum when the external temperature is less than or equal to 25Ā°C,
  2. at a temperature less than or equal to external temperature + 7Ā°C if it is above 25Ā°C;
This year you no longer get a bigger restrictor to compensate for the power loss of the a/c system. Hence Audi and Peugeot were motivated not to use a/c.
Old 16 Jun 2011, 12:03 (Ref:2900186)   #1785
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Audi Racer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Me too. But a quick glance of the regs only requires the cockpit temperature to not exceed a defined temperature. How you deal with that is your choice. A/C or natural cooling. The GT cars choose air conditioning.
Old 16 Jun 2011, 12:09 (Ref:2900191)   #1786
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi Racer View Post
The GT cars choose air conditioning.
The GTE rules still have to old more stringent requirements (i.e., cockpit temperature equal to external temperature above 32Ā°C). See http://www.lemans.org/wpphpFichiers/...egulations.pdf

Moreover, with the engine in front of the cockpit (in case of Aston Martin, BMW, and Corvette) it is more difficult to cool the cockpit with natural ventilation only.
Old 16 Jun 2011, 14:49 (Ref:2900299)   #1787
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Thanks to McNish we have this nice closeup of the R18 engine: http://www.quattroworld.com/wp-conte...udi-R18-20.jpg

There are two features that strike me.

1. The intake manifold is positioned extremely low because of the 120Ā° V angle. The center of gravity of the engine will be very low.

2. The exhaust gasses enter the turbo from two sides. The exhaust headers of the two cilinder banks are both connected to the turbine housing seperately; instead of the turbo being mounted on one 6-1 exhaust header. Remember that Audi did not opt to run two smaller turbos in parallel.
Old 16 Jun 2011, 21:39 (Ref:2900581)   #1788
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Thanks to McNish we have this nice closeup of the R18 engine: http://www.quattroworld.com/wp-conte...udi-R18-20.jpg
Another closeup picture: http://www.racecar-engineering.com/w...6/upr18eng.jpg
Old 16 Jun 2011, 23:02 (Ref:2900635)   #1789
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I assume that black cannister is supposed to be the airbox?
Old 17 Jun 2011, 01:23 (Ref:2900672)   #1790
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I assume that black cannister is supposed to be the airbox?
Intake plenum.
Old 17 Jun 2011, 10:41 (Ref:2900830)   #1791
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I'm certain we were told on our visit that a/c was available......
Old 17 Jun 2011, 11:04 (Ref:2900841)   #1792
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
of course and for Audi options you pay additional tons of money, as ususal
Old 17 Jun 2011, 17:40 (Ref:2901041)   #1793
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike View Post
Intake plenum.
That's what I meant, not to get technical.

Terminology aside, it doesn't seem to be that radical aside from the turbocharger arragement--the Lotus-Ford DOHC Indy car engine that won in '65 used a similar intake system with tunnel rams mounted on the cylinder heads, but that was a 4.2 liter NA V8.

I'll be interesting if anyone, though, would be able to get a photo of the engine with the turbo/heat shielding removed to see how the intake box/plenum is fed, as they're outboard of the heads, though I'd bet that there's some kind of split branch system that goes from the turbo to the front of the intakes or intercoolers, as I don't see anything feeding into the rear of the intake in the photos.

EDIT: I do see a pipe that seems to lead from the front of the intake manifold to what seems to be the intercooler (or it could be the radiator--anyone know if Audi mounts the radiator/oil cooler in front of the intercooler on the R18?), but everything aside from that is covered by the turbo and it's heat sheilds.

Audi have also said that the two cars wrecked at Le Mans have either been written off or are awaiting repairs and a new tub will be built and an LM back up car will run the remaining ILMC events, at least at Imola.

Last edited by chernaudi; 17 Jun 2011 at 17:47.
Old 17 Jun 2011, 19:06 (Ref:2901089)   #1794
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Audi Racer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
That's what I meant, not to get technical.

Terminology aside, it doesn't seem to be that radical aside from the turbocharger arragement--the Lotus-Ford DOHC Indy car engine that won in '65 used a similar intake system with tunnel rams mounted on the cylinder heads, but that was a 4.2 liter NA V8.

I'll be interesting if anyone, though, would be able to get a photo of the engine with the turbo/heat shielding removed to see how the intake box/plenum is fed, as they're outboard of the heads, though I'd bet that there's some kind of split branch system that goes from the turbo to the front of the intakes or intercoolers, as I don't see anything feeding into the rear of the intake in the photos.

EDIT: I do see a pipe that seems to lead from the front of the intake manifold to what seems to be the intercooler (or it could be the radiator--anyone know if Audi mounts the radiator/oil cooler in front of the intercooler on the R18?), but everything aside from that is covered by the turbo and it's heat sheilds.

Audi have also said that the two cars wrecked at Le Mans have either been written off or are awaiting repairs and a new tub will be built and an LM back up car will run the remaining ILMC events, at least at Imola.

The engine moist likely gets fed through the sidepods. They said the over head intake is strictyl for turbo
Old 17 Jun 2011, 19:22 (Ref:2901092)   #1795
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
I don't understand the link you are trying to make with the historic car. All Audi diesel race engines have carbon intake plenums. Now for the first time the box is cylindric.
Quote:
Yes, that is the intercooler. The distance from the intercooler to the engine has to be as short possible to keep the air cool.

On this picture you can see how the radiators are positioned.
Old 17 Jun 2011, 20:24 (Ref:2901117)   #1796
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Running the air intakes outboard of the engine/exhaust inboard the banks isn't new--the Ford Indy Car engine I'm referring to did it in '65, and Ferrari's first turbocharged F1 engines did the same thing as what Audi have done with the R18. The Audi apporach only takes it to extremes with modern technology, and that such an approach was abandoned in the '80s and only recently has seen a revival on the R18 and with BMW and Audi turbocharged V8 road engines.
Old 17 Jun 2011, 21:24 (Ref:2901141)   #1797
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
We were, but we were also told that they prefer not to use it. I also recall seeing a switch on the dashboard saying ' AC '
Old 18 Jun 2011, 00:31 (Ref:2901198)   #1798
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
We were, but we were also told that they prefer not to use it. I also recall seeing a switch on the dashboard saying ' AC '
German Eurosport explained that the switch isn't connected to anything and Frank Biela confirmed. The car does not have A/C.
Old 18 Jun 2011, 01:46 (Ref:2901213)   #1799
chewymonster
Veteran

chewymonster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Facts about Audi's 2011 Le Mans victory, their best fuel economy to date at Le Mans (37 liters per 100km/6.3 mpg) thanks in part to lots of safety car running. Previously the R10/R15 did 5.3-5.7 mpg from what I remember. The #2 used only 9 sets of tires with the longest one being 54 laps. More factoids at the link

https://www.audi-mediaservices.com/p...tlichkeit.html
Old 18 Jun 2011, 07:16 (Ref:2901258)   #1800
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
German Eurosport explained that the switch isn't connected to anything and Frank Biela confirmed. The car does not have A/C.

How well does Frank know the car these days?