Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 19 Apr 2012, 13:53 (Ref:3062042)   #1801
alexkiller8
Veteran

alexkiller8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
without go in offtopic, the corvette evo and the corvette DP having the name "CORVETTE" have to resemble the overall bodyshape of the car. In my opinion, i repeat, if there will be, the GM/corvette lmp1 will have a conventional coupè bodyshape with just some distinctive detail as already happened with the lola-aston (front grill and rear lights that resembled the parts used in aston martin road cars)
Old 19 Apr 2012, 14:32 (Ref:3062058)   #1802
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know whether it was mentioned here... but Andrew Cotton has the latest ACO 2014 regulations talks info in the latest Racecar Engineering. Apart from the interesting bits about Audi and Porsche not running the same championship, Corvette is mentioned in the GT class: they are completely opposing the proposed shift to GT3 regs. They are threatening to leave and it seems to be working.
Old 19 Apr 2012, 14:55 (Ref:3062065)   #1803
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah so the FIA isn't ruining things this year or next but will be in 2014? GT3 spec replacing GTE will be the death of the class.
Old 19 Apr 2012, 15:59 (Ref:3062087)   #1804
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchZ06 View Post
Ah so the FIA isn't ruining things this year or next but will be in 2014? GT3 spec replacing GTE will be the death of the class.
How so? Other than that it wouldn't be GTE anymore, obviously.
Old 19 Apr 2012, 16:08 (Ref:3062095)   #1805
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Félix View Post
I don't know whether it was mentioned here... but Andrew Cotton has the latest ACO 2014 regulations talks info in the latest Racecar Engineering.
Page please and do you mean the May or April issue?

http://www.zinio.com/reader.jsp?issu...&o=int&prev=si
http://www.zinio.com/reader.jsp?issu...&o=int&prev=si

Quote:
Apart from the interesting bits about Audi and Porsche not running the same championship
Do you mean the Durheimer interview on page 83 (May)?
Old 19 Apr 2012, 17:07 (Ref:3062130)   #1806
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If that info-piece has even a little bit of truth in it, I'm 100% behind Corvette on that decision - and for once not talking as their fan only. If ACO/FIA completely replaces GT2 with that farce of a class in 2014, well, I might just have to stop caring about GT racing altogether at Le Mans and start following... LMP1, ugh
Old 19 Apr 2012, 17:13 (Ref:3062135)   #1807
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
If that info-piece has even a little bit of truth in it, I'm 100% behind Corvette on that decision - and for once not talking as their fan only. If ACO/FIA completely replaces GT2 with that farce of a class in 2014, well, I might just have to stop caring about GT racing altogether at Le Mans and start following... LMP1, ugh
I think the ACO is probably looking to dump the current GTE class in favor of GT3. If that happens you would think that the current GTE cars would be BoPed into the class.
Old 19 Apr 2012, 17:17 (Ref:3062140)   #1808
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post
I think the ACO is probably looking to dump the current GTE class in favor of GT3. If that happens you would think that the current GTE cars would be BoPed into the class.
Nightmarish scenario in every aspect... you would have everyone complaining about everything, first of course you'd have performance balancing inside the classes as usual but also between the two categories. Chaotic mix of cars; ones built into regulations but with waivers and some bop to certain extent, and then completely bopped cars with no regulations whatsoever

Last edited by Deleted; 19 Apr 2012 at 17:23.
Old 19 Apr 2012, 17:26 (Ref:3062145)   #1809
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Nightmarish scenario in every aspect... you would have everyone complaining about everything, first of course you'd have performance balancing inside the classes as usual but also between the two categories. Chaotic mix of cars; ones built into regulations but with waivers and some bop to certain extent, and then completely bopped cars with no regulations whatsoever
Well, that's exactly what they are doing in Super GT300 right now...
Old 19 Apr 2012, 17:33 (Ref:3062151)   #1810
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Well, that's exactly what they are doing in Super GT300 right now...
Which is why that class is starting to look more and more like a total disaster, thanks again GT3... I have no idea why Super GT is willing to continue with that mess as everybody is starting to get frustrated (well the teams owning actual GT300s at least) while on the other hand they seem to have rejected the idea of bringing some DTM cars over there, and why? 'Cause they don't wanna go to through with that bop routine between GT500 and DTM

But at least that decision has now assured that the Japanese still have GT500 to be proud of
Old 19 Apr 2012, 19:56 (Ref:3062237)   #1811
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
The GT300's GT3 cars are running on the FIA's BOP. They just need to let the original GT300's get a little more power or replace the GT3's. Which looks out of question since it's easier for them to get those cars it seems.
Old 19 Apr 2012, 22:05 (Ref:3062309)   #1812
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Besides it being a total BoP class (unlike GTE which is a total BoP/Waivers class (where do I buy my road-going M3 with a rear transaxle transmission?)) what is wrong with GT3?

Everyone will complain? Well, that would be new. Now every single team is absolutely satisfied with every regulation; hate to see that change.

When I watch Blancpain or GT1 (GT3) I see good racing, which, as a race fan is what I want to see. Granted, GTE also offers excellent racing, but better than GT3? How so, if you think so? And most important, would the casual fan care?

I think having half-a-dozen more marques in the ACO GT class would be a great thing, and if those factories aren’t going to build bespoke GTE versions, then … Truly, other than ALMS, where is GTE really working?

As for Corvette pulling out, I cannot tell if that is fact, rumor, or bargaining position. Is the factory afraid of competition? Hard to think so, but what do I know? Is the factory afraid ACO will try to screw Corvette in favor of European cars? The ACO already has that opportunity (and judging by BMW’s performance last year, has already used it.)

Is Corvette simply done with racing? Are they angling for favorable conditions if GT3 is adopted? I cannot believe they would get sufficient return on their investment by building a P1—what, half a billion dollars to be beat by Audi for the first two seasons? Or beat by Honda and Lola in ALMS? Using an engine in no way related to any road-going Corvette? I am not seeing that as a logical course.

I have no inside info. I am just trying to process what others reveal. But I cannot see a real problem with GT3, I cannot see Corvette dropping its racing program, and I cannot see a Corvette P1.
Old 20 Apr 2012, 02:03 (Ref:3062402)   #1813
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The engine regs are meant to allow a 5l engine in P1, the Gen V engine going into the new Corvettes is meant to be ~5.5l in capacity so the road relevance is there if they can BS about the engine being production based or what not.
Old 20 Apr 2012, 09:02 (Ref:3062501)   #1814
Mt. Lynx
Racer

Sweden
Stockholm
Mt. Lynx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I need an answer. What is so bad about GT3? Certainly teams and manufacturers seem to like it. Why else is it such a success comparatively? Because it is cheap(ish)? Teams see a bargain racecar and mfg´s see money in the bank if they build a GT3 spec car? Is it that simple?
Corvette is obviously the exception, since they have never engaged in GT3 in any form except that Callaway use Vette chassis.
Old 20 Apr 2012, 09:10 (Ref:3062507)   #1815
Deleted
Veteran

It is a popular class as it's an easy choice for manufacturers to gain success without actually doing anything or improving the car, as bop dictates everything between heaven and earth. Also easier to build cars as you don't need to worry about parts that don't comply with the regs (that again do not exist). Gentleman drivers enjoy them as they've got all driver aids and gadgets available and you don't need to be fast to win...

I've said my opinion hundred of times already so someone else please fill-in on why the GT3 shouldn't replace GT2!

Last edited by Deleted; 20 Apr 2012 at 09:16.
Old 20 Apr 2012, 16:28 (Ref:3062710)   #1816
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
It is a popular class as it's an easy choice for manufacturers to gain success without actually doing anything or improving the car, as bop dictates everything between heaven and earth. Also easier to build cars as you don't need to worry about parts that don't comply with the regs (that again do not exist). Gentleman drivers enjoy them as they've got all driver aids and gadgets available and you don't need to be fast to win...
I wonder if someone at Lada is now reading this... "скоро... скоро"
Old 23 Apr 2012, 09:43 (Ref:3064119)   #1817
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
I wonder if someone at Lada is now reading this... "скоро... скоро"
I hope they are... average joes would be scratching their heads when the poorly designed, undeveloped Lada Priora "GT" shows up from nowhere and steals the GT3 pole from hundred times more expensive Ferraris and Aston Martins
Old 23 Apr 2012, 11:38 (Ref:3064206)   #1818
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Or even better, Lada Grantarismo
Old 6 Jul 2012, 16:52 (Ref:3102935)   #1819
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So has there been a post-mortem yet from Doug Fehan explaining how someone could totally forget to put a nut on the left rear wheel? It certainly cost Corvette any chance at victory as the 73 just didn't seem to have the pace of the 74 in the long run. Seemed a very basic blunder indeed. Very disappointing! Probably would have been a very tight struggle to the end against the 51 and would have made the last hours much more interesting instead of trying to figure out which Audi was going to win.

DK
Old 6 Jul 2012, 17:20 (Ref:3102942)   #1820
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1 View Post
So has there been a post-mortem yet from Doug Fehan explaining how someone could totally forget to put a nut on the left rear wheel? It certainly cost Corvette any chance at victory as the 73 just didn't seem to have the pace of the 74 in the long run. Seemed a very basic blunder indeed. Very disappointing! Probably would have been a very tight struggle to the end against the 51 and would have made the last hours much more interesting instead of trying to figure out which Audi was going to win.

DK
Internally... yes.
Old 6 Jul 2012, 22:16 (Ref:3103043)   #1821
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Helmet-Cam Night Lap of le Mans with Jordan Taylor
Not really the future but it's an interesting clip with a young driver. Apparently he wasn't trained in a Ferrari and uses his mirrors, watch the head movement before and after corners.
Old 7 Jul 2012, 00:33 (Ref:3103090)   #1822
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
FYI: people who mention Ferrari/mirrors issue at every opportunity are very annoying and basically look stupid. The reason most of those the incidents happened: daft driving by the LMPs. The reason Ferraris were involved: there are LOTS of them. It's a profitable customer programme, unlike Corvette Racing or BMW.
Old 7 Jul 2012, 02:03 (Ref:3103113)   #1823
amidst tundra
Racer

United Kingdom
Andover
amidst tundra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
FYI: people who mention Ferrari/mirrors issue at every opportunity are very annoying and basically look stupid. The reason most of those the incidents happened: daft driving by the LMPs. The reason Ferraris were involved: there are LOTS of them. It's a profitable customer programme, unlike Corvette Racing or BMW.
Nothing like fanboyism spoken as fact.
Old 7 Jul 2012, 14:27 (Ref:3103299)   #1824
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Now that Chevrolet will retire from the WTCC, could RML start a works COrvette programme at the WEC?
Old 7 Jul 2012, 16:10 (Ref:3103345)   #1825
alexkiller8
Veteran

alexkiller8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Now that Chevrolet will retire from the WTCC, could RML start a works COrvette programme at the WEC?
i think not. GM hires P&M to build and run a racing corvette because they need a strong racing car to promote the corvette road cars line-up (nissan did the same with gt-r gt1 during 2009/2011 years). If there is already a racing corvette that ran against other prestigious GT brands, there is no need for them to develope a lmp1 prototype.
This however doesn't automaticly mean that GM wouldn't be intersted in a 2014 lmp1 project to promove the brand against european and japanese manufacters.