Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 6 Jun 2015, 18:01 (Ref:3545590)   #1901
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Shelsley Walsh this weekend and a National A Meeting so Championship points...

Best time last year was 32.4 a run I remember well as it is the same as my best in the Impreza.
The Impreza was about 420 bhp/tonne and the Lola is about 436 bhp/tonne.

The Impreza was about 0.3 sec faster off the line to 64 foot marker and of course 4x4.

We had 2 practice runs today delayed by a lot of red flags and 3 big off's.
First practice was 33.8, not bad for a first swing at the hill (perfect conditions) but the second was 34.01 due to a bungled set of gear changes (operator error, not the car) but quicker all the way up this steep hill except for the approach to Bottom Esse/though the Esse' and out the top Esse....
I was stuck in the start area for about 20 mins due to 3 red flags and the engine was certainly warmed through let alone the OAP driver.

As at Prescott and all this year so far, the car is great, so need to FOCUS tomorrow to keep my 2 point lead against my closest class mate.

Thus nothing dramatic today, just need to get on with it.

By contrast, the class leader hit 27 secs, bit off his class record.
Old 7 Jun 2015, 20:08 (Ref:3545883)   #1902
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And so to race day, the track in perfect condition, the car in perfect condition and the driver a bit so-so!

The first run was great, car ran good and strong and never missed a beat or gear change, I felt I left some time at the bottom Esse, but the rest was ok.
Convinced I had squeeeeezed a 32 sec run I was mighty disappointed to see a low 33 on the top clock. My closest rival was a bit dull too in the high 33's but behind me.

The heat built up on the whole track but was very hot at the start line and after a bit of a delay to allow the wrecking truck through I was off.
Thought I would try 4th going up the steep straight, clean gear changes and off to the finish to...

another 33. Boring and certainly irritating, but being down a sec or less was the state of much of the near 200 runners, so on par with the field.

Good news; all in one piece and ok for the meeting next weekend at Loton, my fav hill.
Good news: some good points for 4th in class.

Bad news? none really, just must try (much) harder.

Many compliments about the car and met a reader of the thread!
Old 13 Jun 2015, 16:50 (Ref:3548795)   #1903
911thillclimber
Veteran

Events coming thick and fast!
At Loton Park this weekend for a Championship meet so any points are vital. I'm only 3 points ahead of my rival...

A sodden day for practice, went up 2 times and glad to be finished for the day. Went up on fast tick over on slicks but everything working.

Looks like a drying day tomorrow so need to get on with it.

Only 4 in the class so I will be 3rd or last, or my mate will be 3rd or last!
The other 2 are a light year or 3 ahead, always are.
I'll get 4 points or Nigel will, 3 points for last.

Next meeting then is at Prescott at the end of the month followed by a hillclimb-holiday for 7 weeks.
Old 14 Jun 2015, 18:24 (Ref:3550410)   #1904
911thillclimber
Veteran

Today started warm and bright, dry with a light breeze, and for me perfect.

First run of the hill at 10.30am and the car went like a rocket with a 'new' gear change strategy applied of 'minimum number of changes' and it worked well!

Bagged a good 57.48, just 7/100's off my best (on the wider tyres) set in 2013.
My class mate had a problem and clocked a low 61.

Second run this afternoon and I tried the same gear strat and slowed to 57.87, slower like many in the field. I knew where I left time behind me, but all together a great day and I felt sure in the car.

Having adopted Hans for the first time this year gives a lot of re-assurance.

Big clean of the car tomorrow and close the garage for a good holiday.

Awkwardly, I've seen a car I really would like to prep for the hills, cheap and right up my street.

Mrs hillclimber is blanking me at the moment.

To top the day off Porsche win at Le Mans! Brilliant result.
Old 26 Jun 2015, 16:06 (Ref:3554086)   #1905
911thillclimber
Veteran

Prescott hillclilmb close to Cheltenham this weekend before the summer break.
Usually go well here, but also the 'home' of 2 serious offs so not too comfortable.

Just back from a lazy sun/rain/snow (in one day) holiday in Austria; not good because my mind drifts..

The engine is working ok, could be crisper, but will check the carbs after the weekend, but with 247 bhp on a good day, I feel ready for a bit more,and I'm a bit bored too.

I will stay with this engine (sigh of relief from you all) and there are a few expensive things I can do.

First is to open the capacity from 3200cc to 3400 or 3500cc.
This is a proven route in Porsche classic circles and can take the engine to around 300 bhp.

New high compression pistons and barrels, heads modified to take twin plugs, obviously matching distributor (or could go electronic ignition, mapable), and high lift cams.

The 3400 version means no crank case machining, the 3500 involves some but the carbs/exhaust will work and all the oil system etc, so quite painless if expensive.

To get there will need ideally new rods to allow a near 7500 rpm red line, a useful increase over the current 6400.

Just planning how to get the permission for this, a 4K ticket.

The alternative, and probably the most cost effective is some real driver training so I simply drive it faster.
Old 27 Jun 2015, 16:05 (Ref:3554272)   #1906
911thillclimber
Veteran

Saturday, and a sunny practice twice only as so many were entered.

The runs were 'ok', my pb is 46.91 so quite a target for tomorrow as times were slow for all today.

Ran a mediocre 49.52 and then a slightly better 48.91 with 2 of my class mates very close but behind and the class leader nearly 10 seconds faster!

However....

The engine is not well. It was not right yesterday but was fine at the last meeting, but definitely not right.
Pulled the plugs after the second run and all the plugs are a nice even (to each other) light brown, so mixtures ok, but the back fire in the exhaust is much worse.

My guess at this time is a leaking exhaust valve(s) which only a leak down test/compression test can detect.
With the 'holiday' of 7 weeks soon to start there is time to examine and if required strip the engine down to repair, esp as I have all the 'retirement' time available.

I'll run the car tomorrow and if something rough happens then that 3.4 litre build might come sooner than later!
Definitely down on power, but all the gears select well and the brakes are strong.

fingers crossed I can keep ahead of the other 2.
Old 28 Jun 2015, 17:38 (Ref:3554511)   #1907
911thillclimber
Veteran

Today, Sunday and what a wet start!
The track was saturated everywhere and quite a lot of people on slicks refused the first timed runs, inc me.
With the engine off-tune and so wet, there was nothing to be gained, and this was a good move.
This afternoon it dried well, so got the car going now sounding not too good, very 5.5/6 cylinders and erratic, things were getting worse.

Took the run quite hard as the other 2 were there in waiting and on Kumho v70's.
I thought the track was dry so off we went, all the gears worked (I'll stop say that now) and with a few slips and screeches we got to the top, the tick-over had gone from 1300 to 2500 and then slowly down to 1300 and definitely worse.
Drove the car straight to the trailer.

The run was 49.64 and that was good enough for 3rd in a 5 driver class, the lead car was a full 10 seconds faster and set a class record!!
How I did a 46 in this car last year is beyond me..

So, some valuable points and one sick engine.
This week I will do all the leak-down tests etc but I think it is coming out and heads off.

If only I had a permission to build the engine back-up to a twin plugged, high compression 3400cc engine with a red line of 7800rpm.

I think that might have to be sponsored by selling the Lambretta which oddly would pay for it all.

Just to bore you all I will detail the engine adventure.
Old 29 Jun 2015, 16:20 (Ref:3554730)   #1908
911thillclimber
Veteran

With a cold engine today, did a leak-down test on all cylinders at 25 psi.

Each quiet as a church mouse. Good news, but not expected.....
Checked all plugs and points, all to spec....

Only have the plug leads to check now other than to scratch my head for a reason!

Nothing is simple with this car!
Old 1 Jul 2015, 16:46 (Ref:3555236)   #1909
911thillclimber
Veteran

I so want a garage with A/C!
slowly checked all the torques on the cam housings and heads, all perfect.
Checked all the valve/rockers for 0.004", one wide at about 0.007" so adjusted to 4 thou.
New gaskets etc and all buttoned-up.
Hope to tune the carbs from the ground up tomorrow.
Old 1 Jul 2015, 19:04 (Ref:3555258)   #1910
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I just stumbled across this thread (title seemed interesting) and quickly noticed the discussion around transmission shift linkage (from a few pages back). I used to rebuild Porsche type 901 and 915 transmissions on the side and I have a 914 in which I am looking to put a type 915 transmission in. So I am always interested in seeing what others have done with respect to shift linkage on a tail shift 901 or 915 when in mid-engine configuration. Thanks for the ideas!

Richard
Old 2 Jul 2015, 06:24 (Ref:3555334)   #1911
911thillclimber
Veteran

Pleased to read it is doing someone else some good!

Although it is working better than ever, I have made a new 'gear-lever-to- box' shaft to take the 45 deg angle out of the linkage and to reduce it to more like 30 deg.
This would remove a lot of side load on the mechanism, far more like Graham's design.
I think I will try it for fit and feel.
I can always go back to the current parts if it does not work out.

Race cars are NEVER finished
Old 3 Jul 2015, 12:12 (Ref:3555599)   #1912
911thillclimber
Veteran

This picture about sums things up really.
Big issue on the one side of the engine, other side runs a dream...
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF4893.JPG   DSCF4894.JPG  
Old 3 Jul 2015, 13:50 (Ref:3555611)   #1913
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Flat 3? Its the future!
Old 3 Jul 2015, 18:02 (Ref:3555655)   #1914
911thillclimber
Veteran

Ha! Might be Porsche's new low cost engine...I have the prototype.

Swopped the carbs over so the carb that was running the good side of this engine went onto the bad side and vica versa.

The rough running followed the carb! This was good news as it proves the carb is 'wrong'.

Stripped it to the bones, cleaned and air-lines the lot, every jet, crevis and drilling.
Put it all back together and to the original position.

I'm hazey with petrol and brake cleaner fumes, so enough for today.

Will tune the carbs again on Sunday while the GP is on, too boring to watch.
Off to Pendine Sands tomorrow to see the hot rods on the sand.
Leaving the cheque book at home in case one is for sale.
Old 4 Jul 2015, 14:43 (Ref:3555763)   #1915
Andy Clegg
Racer

Andy Clegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I stopped watching F1 half way through last year.
Old 5 Jul 2015, 12:52 (Ref:3555909)   #1916
911thillclimber
Veteran

Me too but about 5 years ago!

If Williams are doing well I'll check-in a few times. Wife adores it so I get a running commentary.

Put the clean carb back on, same old problem!

Took it off and tried again after another mega clean and the bloody thing works!
No idea why, but no pops and bangs, same exhaust velocity and heat.
going to let it cool down and try again (and again) before any celebration.
Old 6 Jul 2015, 06:00 (Ref:3556100)   #1917
911thillclimber
Veteran

3rd session on the engine and finished the day knowing that #6 cylinder was not working.
All others are, but #6 has:

spark
Compression (comp test = 200 psi!)
No Fuel

#5 and #6 cylinders feed off the same float bowl and 5 is fine.
For some reason no fuel will flow to its jets etc.

This carb is cleaner than when it left their factory but something is stopping it!
I have this engine prob across 3 sites in the Porsche world inc in the USA where the carbs are very popular, but no solutions except someone else who has had the same issue and still has it.

At least it is narrowed down to one pot.
Old 6 Jul 2015, 15:43 (Ref:3556223)   #1918
IVESPEED
Rookie

IVESPEED should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if your carb is good with no blocked orifice then maybe an air leak?...no6 inlet gasket?
Old 7 Jul 2015, 06:31 (Ref:3556384)   #1919
911thillclimber
Veteran

Spent a lot of time yesterday going back to mechanical basics, and decided to investigate the fuel tract from the heads up to the float chambers.

Took the inlet manifold off to find all the gaskets (2 per cylinder) all dissolved/dissolving...
These have been on the engine for 120 miles/3 years!

Just so happened I had a new set on the shelf so everything off on both sides of the engine and 12 fresh gaskets back onto clean surfaces.

Will re-set the basic settings and hope to tune the carbs this afternoon.

It has been suggested fuel with too much ethanol can do this(?)
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF4897.JPG   911.JPG  
Old 7 Jul 2015, 17:08 (Ref:3556535)   #1920
911thillclimber
Veteran

After 20 minutes it is in full song!

Everything running, balanced, adjusted and 900 rpm tick-over.
Never sounded this good, ever.

Mixtures set using my 30 year old Colour Tune to light blue.

Job done, just need a race now to actually try it.
Attached Thumbnails
lola 34 087.jpg  
Old 1 Aug 2015, 21:35 (Ref:3563112)   #1921
911thillclimber
Veteran

At last the wait for a race is at an end, and next Sat we take the Lola to Loton Park for a one day clubbie a few weeks before the Championship meet at Shelsley Walsh.
Should be interesting to see if the cleaner running engine is better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911thillclimber View Post
After 20 minutes it is in full song!

Everything running, balanced, adjusted and 900 rpm tick-over.
Never sounded this good, ever.

Mixtures set using my 30 year old Colour Tune to light blue.

Job done, just need a race now to actually try it.
Old 8 Aug 2015, 19:11 (Ref:3564630)   #1922
911thillclimber
Veteran

nice one day clubbie at Loton, lovely cars there!

Engine is just great, what a difference it is, a realy smooth torquey blast.

However, the brakes are suddenly spongy though they stiffened-up a bit ad the day went on, but a bit un-nerving.

Tonight, a small pool of brake fluid on the traler from the front where the masters are.

Investigate tomorrow.

Good shake-down and a good time in the seat.

Gears all ok too!

Shelsley next where I really have to get some good points.

Spanners crossed for next week.
Old 10 Aug 2015, 23:22 (Ref:3565217)   #1923
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How were the times, Graham? Any improvement in PB?
Old 11 Aug 2015, 22:03 (Ref:3565427)   #1924
911thillclimber
Veteran

Sadly, no.
The soft brakes were a worry. Even though I only use them hard twice on the hill at Loton, the consequences of failure is pretty dire..

Installed Mrs hillclimber in the Lola and bled and bled and bled the brakes.
Seem ok now, but mystified why they suddenly went soft.
Getting her out of the car was another thing involving some step ladders, but at least I found it funny.

She makes me look as athletic as an Olympic champion!

I have gone backwards in my times which I put down to the old racer phrase

The older I am, the faster I was.

Not sure what to do about it except buck my ideas up.
Old 15 Aug 2015, 19:01 (Ref:3566218)   #1925
911thillclimber
Veteran

Saturday, and practice runs at Shelsley, Championship meeting, so important for points.
First run on a partly damp course went well, the engine runs great, brakes seem good too. 34 sec run, 2 secs behind my pb.
Second run was more of the same but lazy as I did not take 4th in the 2 places where it counts, so on the 3rd and last run did the 4th gear bit.

The car seemed a bit slow in the finishing straight after some braking in the lower esses, but parked in the batch of the other cars at the top, waiting to come down.

Got back in the car to come down and it would not move.
Some goodly revs in 1st and it moved a bit, brakes were locked on solid!

Been here before with my daughter's MX5 a few years ago where the one port in the master cylinder does not release the pressure.

Left the car at the top and returned to slacken off the two push rods of the 2 master cylinders for the brakes and cracked op a touch a nipple on all 4 callipers to ease off any pressure pent-up.

Re-adjusted the balance bar on the brake pedal and all is well, checked by hitting the brakes a dozen or more times rolling down this steep hill.

My closest rival in the class has 'lost' his V8 so he is a no-show for the rest of the year (3 races remain inc this one) and the dual driven class leader has crashed out for the year.
This leaves me alone which means I can score at most 1 or 2 points at each meeting left, max of 4 or 6 points.

I am currently 9 points behind the crashed-out class leader, thus not way to steal the class win this year!

Me and this car are so uncompetitive now, but so what, it is all for the fun.

(honest)