Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 4 Jan 2013, 01:37 (Ref:3184438)   #1926
deltawing
Racer

deltawing should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddeltawing should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It is a variation of this:

Just having fun, no one has to like it!

If you want to see few more:

www.aliasguy.com/dw-classic/index.html

Then here is more of the "Eagle" variation:

http://www.aliasguy.com/dw-eagle/index.html

(it looks better if you go full screen browser)

Cheers.

Old 4 Jan 2013, 02:17 (Ref:3184444)   #1927
TME45
Rookie

TME45 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
could we use the 2CV race tire?
Old 4 Jan 2013, 17:26 (Ref:3184686)   #1928
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
With DeltaWing part of P2 in 2014-15, I guess we can assume it is a P2 in 2013, as well.

By the way, I like the concept renders on that site. Neat.
Old 4 Jan 2013, 22:16 (Ref:3184811)   #1929
deltawing
Racer

deltawing should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddeltawing should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TME45 View Post
could we use the 2CV race tire?
I am planning on putting early 90's Miata spare wheels and tires in front for now If they are really building few more DW cars, then eventually one day the real tires will be available to us too..... well, at least there is a hope!

Old 5 Jan 2013, 06:32 (Ref:3184969)   #1930
TME45
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltawing View Post
I am planning on putting early 90's Miata spare wheels and tires in front for now If they are really building few more DW cars, then eventually one day the real tires will be available to us too..... well, at least there is a hope!

does a spare wheel get enough grip?
Old 7 Jan 2013, 12:49 (Ref:3185960)   #1931
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
From MM on twitter:

Quote:
Mike Fuller ‏@mulsannescorner
DW rumor 2013: 4 chassis total, 3 new closed top "purchased by Nissan" and the old open top will run Elan (Duratec) engine.
I have to assume these will be running in the ALMS, and the latest has the DW in P1, not P2. If that ends up being true it will be interesting to see how they are then balanced back to P2 levels for 2014.
Old 7 Jan 2013, 16:13 (Ref:3186033)   #1932
TME45
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
From MM on twitter:

I have to assume these will be running in the ALMS, and the latest has the DW in P1, not P2. If that ends up being true it will be interesting to see how they are then balanced back to P2 levels for 2014.
maybe it can be run different chassis in p1 & p2 @ the same time?
Old 8 Jan 2013, 17:26 (Ref:3186471)   #1933
deltawing
Racer

DeltaWing Coupe LMP1 ...

Here, fresh from the oven, the DeltaWing Couple in LMP1 configuration

and a front perspective shot...

Few more angles in the link below. For best view, go full screen browser, click below and wait for large images to load:

http://www.aliasguy.com/dw-coupe-lmp1/index.html

Cheers.

Old 8 Jan 2013, 18:15 (Ref:3186495)   #1934
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Man that looks so much like a Batmobile from the first of the modern films.
Old 8 Jan 2013, 20:08 (Ref:3186544)   #1935
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Your renders are so, so cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I thought they announced with the Grand-Am stuff that DeltaWing would be a P2 for 2013. Maybe I misunderstood, or maybe there's a new rumor about P1s? I'd love to see a P1 DeltaWing, personally.

Quote:
maybe it can be run different chassis in p1 & p2 @ the same time?
It was my understanding (as if my understanding is worth anything ) that the Panoz DeltaWing with the Duratec engine would be an LMP2, so perhaps the coupes are for an LMP1? I've no idea, but I'd love to see the car in a class with conventional competition. Love to see it at Le Mans again, too, though I doubt it in the foreseeable future.
Old 8 Jan 2013, 23:07 (Ref:3186610)   #1936
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Rabbit View Post
It was my understanding (as if my understanding is worth anything ) that the Panoz DeltaWing with the Duratec engine would be an LMP2, so perhaps the coupes are for an LMP1? I've no idea, but I'd love to see the car in a class with conventional competition. Love to see it at Le Mans again, too, though I doubt it in the foreseeable future.
How do you run it with conventional competition? They would all complain.

A separate efficiency class, set around P2, or maybe between P2 & P1, would create a playground for gearheads, but keep costs under control because it couldn't challenge for the overall win. The folks in the conventional classes wouldn't need to complain, because they wouldn't be racing against it. Eventually it would be necessary to cut the fuel allocation back to keep it from overall wins.
Old 9 Jan 2013, 00:48 (Ref:3186639)   #1937
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Decent render but how're you suppose to see out that thing?
Old 10 Jan 2013, 07:27 (Ref:3187192)   #1938
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Nice article on the RCE website: Developing the Deltawing
Old 10 Jan 2013, 12:47 (Ref:3187269)   #1939
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'd like a mini-class for Delta-Wings, with a little bit of freedom for further thinking outside the box.

The DW has untapped potential, as we know...the last thing it needs is to become a spec-racer. In fact, the whole concept was designed as an antithesis to spec racing!
Old 10 Jan 2013, 16:31 (Ref:3187332)   #1940
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
By giving it its' own class then it IS spec racing. How about we try filling the classes we have instead of all these experimental classes? I'm all for innovation, in fact I expect it, by why not do it within the framework of the existing rules? There is nothing revolutionary on this car as it claims. Fuel efficiency can be promoted in P1/P2 with alternative fuels, direct injection, etc. So can aerodynamic efficiency.
Old 10 Jan 2013, 16:45 (Ref:3187335)   #1941
TME45
Rookie

looks like Nissan would like to join P1 with Deltawing?
Old 10 Jan 2013, 17:28 (Ref:3187345)   #1942
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
By giving it its' own class then it IS spec racing. How about we try filling the classes we have instead of all these experimental classes? I'm all for innovation, in fact I expect it, by why not do it within the framework of the existing rules? There is nothing revolutionary on this car as it claims. Fuel efficiency can be promoted in P1/P2 with alternative fuels, direct injection, etc. So can aerodynamic efficiency.
If it's so un-innovative, why did so many people assure us it could never turn?

Hopefully as its own sort of laboratory for experimentation, it can remind the gearheads of how racing used to be and encourage the regular classes to open up a bit, using fuel limits as the primary mechanism for limiting speeds.

It's just been so long since technical rules were open enough to allow true innovation that everybody is now scared of it. This baby step is needed to get things pointed back in the right direction.
Old 10 Jan 2013, 17:43 (Ref:3187349)   #1943
lms
Veteran

lms should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
looks like Nissan would like to join P1 with Deltawing?
Old 10 Jan 2013, 18:12 (Ref:3187363)   #1944
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
Depends what you define as "spec", I mean all kinds of racing these days is "spec" in some ways, like ECUs, tires, the cameras on top of the car..

Maybe you could have a class for DWs, but leave the engine and tub completely up to you. Everyone gets the same Michelins the original Nissan incarnation got, work the rules so that the philosophy of this class matches the DW as a blueprint, and you have a pretty interesing class IMO.
Old 10 Jan 2013, 18:29 (Ref:3187367)   #1945
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Quote:
Originally Posted by miatanut View Post
If it's so un-innovative, why did so many people assure us it could never turn?

Hopefully as its own sort of laboratory for experimentation, it can remind the gearheads of how racing used to be and encourage the regular classes to open up a bit, using fuel limits as the primary mechanism for limiting speeds.

It's just been so long since technical rules were open enough to allow true innovation that everybody is now scared of it. This baby step is needed to get things pointed back in the right direction.
I'm not trying to put words in our Canadian friend's mouth, but as I understood it, he (or she) was implying that what DeltaWing sets out to accomplish could be accomplished by the conventional cars if the rules allowed some more freedom, and if the money to do that were there (or perhaps not even if; maybe it is all allowed, just not done). I think the point is that pushing the limits of efficiency should be a goal and an outcome of LMP rules, rather than a goal and an outcome of a car designed with no rules and then granted a place on the grid.

I do hope the interest in DeltaWing has been strong enough to remind the ACO et al that the class rules should allow for these kinds of creations, rather than for these creations to be made and then shuffled into a class in which they aren't really legal to run. That would be a nice legacy for this project. It's also not one I anticipate happening given the constraints of reality.

I am a big fan of the DeltaWing, but I see the arguments against including a car that's not legal. Innovation isn't always obvious (look at the TS030H) and bold, and I think DeltaWing overshadows some of the interesting things that are happening in cars based on the actual rules. So I see that side, too.
Old 10 Jan 2013, 22:32 (Ref:3187458)   #1946
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Spot on Jacques. For the record I am a fan as well. Seeing it actually run at Petit was pretty cool. That's what sportscar racing is about - cool cars and innovation. That's why knowing who owns the "merged" series concerns me.
Old 10 Jan 2013, 22:43 (Ref:3187463)   #1947
deltawing
Racer

This looks like a fresh video from Jan 9th, quick interview with Ben Bowlby. It is interesting watch (the interview with him starts at 4.40 and I made the link to start right there for your convenience):

http://youtu.be/Nn4wSaAcgFA?t=4m40s

At one point he says (not precise quote): "A lot of colleagues say if they can have 500 kg and 300 hp on a conventional car, they can do as well as the DW. I say: Bring it on! Let's do it! Let's have a race and see who is the most fuel efficient"....

It will be interesting to see if someone "brings it on" and have real life comparison...

Cheers.

Old 11 Jan 2013, 00:00 (Ref:3187496)   #1948
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Rabbit View Post
I'm not trying to put words in our Canadian friend's mouth, but as I understood it, he (or she) was implying that what DeltaWing sets out to accomplish could be accomplished by the conventional cars if the rules allowed some more freedom, and if the money to do that were there (or perhaps not even if; maybe it is all allowed, just not done). I think the point is that pushing the limits of efficiency should be a goal and an outcome of LMP rules, rather than a goal and an outcome of a car designed with no rules and then granted a place on the grid.

I do hope the interest in DeltaWing has been strong enough to remind the ACO et al that the class rules should allow for these kinds of creations, rather than for these creations to be made and then shuffled into a class in which they aren't really legal to run. That would be a nice legacy for this project. It's also not one I anticipate happening given the constraints of reality.

I am a big fan of the DeltaWing, but I see the arguments against including a car that's not legal. Innovation isn't always obvious (look at the TS030H) and bold, and I think DeltaWing overshadows some of the interesting things that are happening in cars based on the actual rules. So I see that side, too.
Right.

That's the end game on all of this, but that requires completely blowing up the status quo. Throwing the P1/P2 rules out and starting over. The ACO, FIA, and anyone else aren't ready to do that yet, but if all goes well, a class with more open rules and requiring efficiency to be competitive will show that the world didn't end, and in fact things got a lot more interesting by taking this approach. Then they can have the nerve to do something similar with the "normal" classes and the dark days of spec racing may end.
Old 11 Jan 2013, 01:04 (Ref:3187509)   #1949
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There's the likes and the dislikes. Without rehashing all the arguments for and against again, the whole saga, IMO, is just an enormous publicity exercise and it's worked. Nissan rolled up, paid their money and got the rights to hang their hat on it. Anyone can now front up by the looks of it, create some freak-show outside of the existing rules, and under the guise of innovation, bring the latest publicity gimmick to the racetracks of the world and bleed it for what it's worth. Good on Nissan and the Delta Wing! If the budgets that Audi supposedly have for their P1 team are to be believed, they could probably "out innovate" the Delta Wing any time they choose.
Who's up next?

Last edited by porsche91722; 11 Jan 2013 at 01:09. Reason: '
Old 11 Jan 2013, 01:55 (Ref:3187515)   #1950
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche91722 View Post
There's the likes and the dislikes. Without rehashing all the arguments for and against again, the whole saga, IMO, is just an enormous publicity exercise and it's worked. Nissan rolled up, paid their money and got the rights to hang their hat on it. Anyone can now front up by the looks of it, create some freak-show outside of the existing rules, and under the guise of innovation, bring the latest publicity gimmick to the racetracks of the world and bleed it for what it's worth. Good on Nissan and the Delta Wing! If the budgets that Audi supposedly have for their P1 team are to be believed, they could probably "out innovate" the Delta Wing any time they choose.
Who's up next?
While I'm not an Audi fan, I respect what they've done, and if the P1 rules were opened-up, I would expect them to dominate and I would be fine with that. This business of rules which force the cars to be inefficient is ridiculous.