Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 18 May 2012, 12:53 (Ref:3076097)   #176
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by St00ge View Post
yeah I don't him coming in to the series in 2013...
Me neither. All I heard today was every man and his dog banging on about Stoner retiring from two wheels to go race V8s. You gotta be kidding me. Unfortunately most of the sheep think V8s are the only form of motorsport and that international drivers/riders would quit their international career to race down here. Er no. Not quite.

I can see it happening down the track like Captain Crash did but not next year he aint.
Old 19 May 2012, 01:28 (Ref:3076272)   #177
thunderbolt
Veteran

thunderbolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/motor-racing

what is the chance we could see red bull racing in v8 supercars?
Old 19 May 2012, 01:42 (Ref:3076273)   #178
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbolt View Post
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/motor-racing

what is the chance we could see red bull racing in v8 supercars?
With a Kelly konnection?
Old 19 May 2012, 02:21 (Ref:3076274)   #179
Smokey Retirement
Racer

Australia
Pit Lane
Smokey Retirement should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Failing that, he has the Fiore REC and the two PMM RECs to play with.
What 2 PMM rec's?? Doesn't Tekno have a lease for this year with the option to buy? Pretty sure that means that if Tekno want it they have it.

There is no option to buy on Charlie's REC either. Charlie wants to go racing with it.

And now James Phelps has come out and said that Casey Stoner is after a REC and will possibly buy it off Tekno.......seriously, does this guy wake up in the morning and think of crap to make up????
Old 19 May 2012, 02:27 (Ref:3076275)   #180
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Retirement View Post
What 2 PMM rec's?? Doesn't Tekno have a lease for this year with the option to buy? Pretty sure that means that if Tekno want it they have it.

There is no option to buy on Charlie's REC either. Charlie wants to go racing with it.

And now James Phelps has come out and said that Casey Stoner is after a REC and will possibly buy it off Tekno.......seriously, does this guy wake up in the morning and think of crap to make up????
I'm under the assumption that Mr Schwerolkt's REC will end up with Tekno, and that the PMM REC leased by Tekno will return to Mr Morris, to be attached to a DJR machine.

Regardless, it's all speculation until the 2013 incarnation of the circus kicks off.
Old 19 May 2012, 03:59 (Ref:3076284)   #181
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mazda on a reconnaissance mission at Phillip Island

Who might be interested? Is the departure of Mr Horsley significant in this new news? Which formerly red and yellow team was Mr Horsley the strategy man for in various endurance races in years gone past? Which current team owner won the Eastern Creek 12 hour aboard an Rx7, fettled by Mr Horsley?

Or not...
“Although people make unpleasant comments when things I write do not come true, I am simply keeping readers up to speed of what is being discussed. If things turn out differently, it does not mean that these things were never discussed. Still, as I often say, you can take what I write or ignore it - and I really do not care. I’m simply trying to let you into the world of such discussions in F1.” - Joe Saward, Green Notebook from Saint-Doulchard
Old 19 May 2012, 04:05 (Ref:3076285)   #182
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Its not hard to draw a similar conclusion when Mr Stoner's father Col has allegedly been kicking tyres, talking prices, wanting to understand the teams' REC economics... especially post-Archer... seemingly examining a possible way forward into the category... this is said to have all happened last year... so perhaps the family plans have been fermenting a'while?

Mr Phelps is rarely outright wrong... there are usually elements of 'something' going on being written in his articles.. its just that sometimes the incorrect conclusions are drawn, either through lack of clarity/knowledge, or misdirection from the parties concerned... perhaps
“Although people make unpleasant comments when things I write do not come true, I am simply keeping readers up to speed of what is being discussed. If things turn out differently, it does not mean that these things were never discussed. Still, as I often say, you can take what I write or ignore it - and I really do not care. I’m simply trying to let you into the world of such discussions in F1.” - Joe Saward, Green Notebook from Saint-Doulchard
Old 19 May 2012, 04:16 (Ref:3076288)   #183
Smokey Retirement
Racer

Australia
Pit Lane
Smokey Retirement should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Its not hard to draw a similar conclusion when Mr Stoner's father Col has allegedly been kicking tyres, talking prices, wanting to understand the teams' REC economics... especially post-Archer... seemingly examining a possible way forward into the category... this is said to have all happened last year... so perhaps the family plans have been fermenting a'while?

Mr Phelps is rarely outright wrong... there are usually elements of 'something' going on being written in his articles.. its just that sometimes the incorrect conclusions are drawn, either through lack of clarity/knowledge, or misdirection from the parties concerned... perhaps
GTR, it is conceivible that Casey might do a season as the 2nd driver at Tekno to cut his teeth, but buying off Tekno I feel is incorrect. With Tekno setting up Tekno Performance to run along side the race team, and with the expansion this year, I can't see them selling anything or stepping backwards. But, that is my opinion from what I see.
Old 19 May 2012, 04:28 (Ref:3076289)   #184
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
GTR, it is conceivible that Casey might do a season as the 2nd driver at Tekno to cut his teeth, but buying off Tekno I feel is incorrect. With Tekno setting up Tekno Performance to run along side the race team, and with the expansion this year, I can't see them selling anything or stepping backwards. But, that is my opinion from what I see.
Of course the investment by Mr Webb Sr in Tekno would have been considerable, in funding infrastructure and operating costs while a variety of hunters go looking for the elusive 'perfect deal'... but this may be an area where the dots arent connected properly.

The 'informed' discussions around and about the place suggested that with regards to Mr Schwerkolt's REC, they had it landing at the house of Tekno next year, replacing the PMM REC being used to field the #91 car for Mr Patrizi.

Now if you play the 'degrees of separation' game... the REC controlled by Mr Schwerkolt that operates the #18 car right now... and shall be available to run wherever Mr Forklifts wants it to run.

Presuming of course that there is a sponsor package, and technical package around to self-fund the racing, and not pressurise further investment from the REC holder.

If there isnt those packages in place, and nothing definitive has been leaked or written or both anywhere.. perhaps this REC could find itself on the market, and available to someone to buy.

Whether that might be Mr Webb or Mr Stoner Sr or me if my numbers come up on lotto some day is the loose end that the likes of Mr Phelps dont seem too good at narrowing down.

So while the REC in question may be in the vicinity of Tekno, it isnt actually at Tekno...

If only MeN was still alive to actually get some decent perspective on some of these events... AA has absolutely slowed down on the intrigue and mystery discovery investigations
Old 19 May 2012, 04:36 (Ref:3076291)   #185
gts300
Racer

Australia
gts300 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Who might be interested? Is the departure of Mr Horsley significant in this new news? Which formerly red and yellow team was Mr Horsley the strategy man for in various endurance races in years gone past? Which current team owner won the Eastern Creek 12 hour aboard an Rx7, fettled by Mr Horsley?

Or not...
Was just about to make a comment about Mr Horsley being Sydney based, and went off to check some facts, only to find very recent announcements of his retirement. That does change the game a bit and may or may not be related to the reconnaisance mission.

From a business perspective I can understand why Mazda may not want to allow Nissan to take the spoils, particularly when they have been heading the monthly sales charts. However, their lineup has been lacking a full size passenger car for years.
Old 19 May 2012, 04:41 (Ref:3076292)   #186
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If only MeN was still alive to actually get some decent perspective on some of these events... AA has absolutely slowed down on the intrigue and mystery discovery investigations
Agree

AA these days is too busy telling us what the V8 field might look like in 2016, or how the VF Commodore shape might be used at the start of next year, but it also might wait till mid-year...

too much crystal balling and not enough reporting
Old 19 May 2012, 08:55 (Ref:3076328)   #187
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Presuming the Stoner speculation is true, it must be pretty easy to drive a V8 Supercar if, with no serious experience, he can just get a drive/license and run in the series? Might just make a V8 Race Experience booking in preparation for Hidden Valley, myself. I wonder if he'd consider a season in fford?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Me neither. All I heard today was every man and his dog banging on about Stoner retiring from two wheels to go race V8s. You gotta be kidding me. Unfortunately most of the sheep think V8s are the only form of motorsport and that international drivers/riders would quit their international career to race down here. Er no. Not quite.

I can see it happening down the track like Captain Crash did but not next year he aint.
The publicity was ridiculous, wasn't it?

Quote:
Will he upset the establishment with his 'motorcycle lines', ala Mr Gardner?
Gardner got hit a lot by the others, from memory. IIRC, Alan Jones bulldozed him at Symmons and PI. There was also that Crompton one at Wanneroo.
Old 19 May 2012, 09:27 (Ref:3076338)   #188
Umai Naa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ View Post
Gardner got hit a lot by the others, from memory. IIRC, Alan Jones bulldozed him at Symmons and PI. There was also that Crompton one at Wanneroo.
Yeah, I've seen the '93 highlights reel on Youtube. Alan Jones getting into everyone, and everyone getting into Gardner I think they showed a glimpse of Seton taking the title, too.

I do recall at the time one Mr Johnson thinking Gardner's presence was a bit of a joke.

Will others feel the same about Casey?
Old 19 May 2012, 11:37 (Ref:3076403)   #189
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
I do recall at the time one Mr Johnson thinking Gardner's presence was a bit of a joke.

Will others feel the same about Casey?
I'm not sure any of the current field is as good at being as blunt as Dick. I'm not sure with what they'd think of Casey (that's why I asked if he'd consider doing a season or two of fford), unlike with Dick, who just says what he thinks, anything that comes out of the V8s just seems to be scripted for publicity. If you get what I'm saying?
Old 19 May 2012, 11:47 (Ref:3076407)   #190
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Or not...
Wow, are they turning back the clock where the series have are more than just two marques during the 90s?

Man, this is gonna be awesome! Too bad that Chrysler can't join in... Maybe in 2014, they will! (along with other marques like BMW and Volvo)
Old 19 May 2012, 12:26 (Ref:3076419)   #191
Nevpatt
Rookie

Nevpatt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
Wow, are they turning back the clock where the series have are more than just two marques during the 90s?

Man, this is gonna be awesome! Too bad that Chrysler can't join in... Maybe in 2014, they will! (along with other marques like BMW and Volvo)
Personally I think other manufacturers joining is a load of crap unless they market a performance V8 road car in competition with Holden and Ford. The best decision ever was to get rid of the cars pre Supercar era you couldn't buy in Australia, awesomely stupid to re-visit a concept that failed the first time.
Old 19 May 2012, 14:06 (Ref:3076460)   #192
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
With the trend of racing series to go to specs. I wonder if down the track, to get around the problem of relevance and encourage more makes to join without completely compromising themselves, they'll think of a silhouette Group A type class?
Old 19 May 2012, 23:54 (Ref:3076618)   #193
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevpatt View Post
Personally I think other manufacturers joining is a load of crap unless they market a performance V8 road car in competition with Holden and Ford. The best decision ever was to get rid of the cars pre Supercar era you couldn't buy in Australia, awesomely stupid to re-visit a concept that failed the first time.
That was the worst decision IMO........I'd rather watch Mustangs, Sierras, Camaros, Bimmers, GTRs, Audis etc, etc than Falcons and commodores.
Old 20 May 2012, 01:55 (Ref:3076626)   #194
thunderbolt
Veteran

thunderbolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1226361097725

Quote:
Charlie Schwerkolt, who who helped James Courtney to a fairytale win with Dick Johnson Racing before a bitter split, confirmed he will return with his own team next year and wants Stoner as his headline driver.
Old 20 May 2012, 05:53 (Ref:3076666)   #195
snappa
Racer

snappa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Personally I think other manufacturers joining is a load of crap unless they market a performance V8 road car in competition with Holden and Ford.
As Much as it pains me to say it nevpatt but that statement doesn't ring very true any more as Ford in this country do not sell a V8 performance car. they haven't done so for a year or more. All of the V8 " Fords " are in all honesty a Prodrive FPV ( The XR8's are now sold exclusively as FPV GS's through FPV Dealers). They don't even have a ford badge on them any more. So what is the difference in a manufacturer setting up a COTF to help sell their cars. As it stands Holden are the only ones in Australia that actually sell a V8 As an option.
Old 20 May 2012, 06:07 (Ref:3076670)   #196
Umai Naa
Veteran

The whole showroom argument is now flawed (Technically, it always has been, given how many homologated Group A cars you couldn't buy here).

Lets just get on with it, and see what 2013 brings.
Old 20 May 2012, 09:24 (Ref:3076725)   #197
Nevpatt
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
That was the worst decision IMO........I'd rather watch Mustangs, Sierras, Camaros, Bimmers, GTRs, Audis etc, etc than Falcons and commodores.
The V8 Supercar concept has proven it's strength, what happened to the Super Tourers on a multi manufacturer concept.........it fell over due to lack of public interest??.
Old 20 May 2012, 09:44 (Ref:3076734)   #198
Nevpatt
Rookie

Quote:
The whole showroom argument is now flawed (Technically, it always has been, given how many homologated Group A cars you couldn't buy here).

Lets just get on with it, and see what 2013 brings.
Although technically, the Holden and Ford Supercars are virtually the same platform with a different body shell, there is realism in the fact that the present cars follow the theme of an actual production based sports V8. Who seriously looks at Aussie Racer with different body shells and relates them to a manufacturer of production cars, it's fantasy land IMO.
Old 20 May 2012, 11:41 (Ref:3076794)   #199
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
The V8 Supercar concept has proven it's strength, what happened to the Super Tourers on a multi manufacturer concept.........it fell over due to lack of public interest??.
Super Tourers were never going to replace what Group A had.........things could be so much better but we are stuck with this V8 only category.
Old 20 May 2012, 13:20 (Ref:3076829)   #200
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
What are you talking about?