Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 30 Jan 2005, 10:37 (Ref:1213070)   #176
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 84 Bathurst Car, you would think, would have provided a good basis for a rebuild, but there is no way that the car that he crashed in practice in 86 at Bathurst would have been rebuilt.

Willo was at Adelaide in 87 for the ATCC race and scored a point there. May have been at other events as well post Bathurst 86????
Old 30 Jan 2005, 11:12 (Ref:1213084)   #177
ART Racing
Rookie

Australia
Toowoomba, QLD
ART Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Willos Supra

Guess we are getting off the thread a bit here, but: All the publications are wrong at some point. Some say the 84 car was written off, some say the car in the 86 crash was the 84 car repaired. Mind you, all say the car was written off in 86, which is obviously not correct. One says that the car went back to Japan after the 84 crash and was repaired/reshelled by Toyota then flown back before Adelaide in 85, if that is true they have done it with a new bodyshell with the same numbers as the old one. Peter did say that it had been reshelled once, so I guess that ties in. I suspect that the 87 car is the 86 car with a whole new rear floor, rear panels etc. When you look at things like the move of bonnet pin location from 84 to 85, the holes are still in the radiator support panel where the original bonnet pins were, although obviously the bonnet was replaced after 84. I have some photos of the engine bay and front of the chassis in 85, and the car now is exactly the same. The TAFE guys who repaired the car at one stage have looked at the car now, and said that the one kink in a cant rail that they couldn't quite get out is still there now, so I would say it hasn't been reshelled since at least 85, although obviously it had a lot of panel beating and panels replaced after the Oran Park inversion in 85 and Bathurst 86. Mind you, Peter replaced the harness but not the seat after 86, the seat is still the original! Car is currently exactly as it practiced at Bathurst in 87, the photos we have of it there show everything is the way it was apart from the steering wheel, and even then it has the same boss and wheel centre, just a different wheel. Still even has the original GEMS modified computer with a late 85 race map in it. Mechanically the car is completely original, the only question mark is that Peter recalled it was dry sumped, whereas there is no evidence on that car that it ever was, ie no holes in the firewall for hoses, no holes in the rear for a tank mount etc, and the car is currently fitted with a very professional, highly modified wet sump. More research required.

JA
Old 30 Jan 2005, 11:47 (Ref:1213102)   #178
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Thanks John, did you say the 86 Bathurst car was the same one you have in the shed? That was a HUGE crash, and would have been a massive ammount of work for it to be repaired.
Old 30 Jan 2005, 11:54 (Ref:1213108)   #179
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I thought the '84 crash was pretty horrific for the chassis too, plus all the work that car was said to have completed in Europe...

According to the "Bathurst 1984/5" yearbook....

"Williamson's Supra, which won the Group A class at the Castrol 500 at Sandown in its Australian racing debut, was built and developed by English Toyota dealer, Hughes of Beaconsfield, who operate the Toyota GB Dealer Team.

The car Williamson bought was the team's development vehicle. It is identical to the Supra Win Percy drove to pole position in a round of the British Touring Car Championship on July 29 and went on to record fastest lap until it tangled with a slower car. The car later finished fifth at Spa before being shipped to Melbourne..."

Interestingly, the book lists Mick Kouros as chief spanner for Willo... I seem to recall he is now the technical boffin at Menu Motorsport's F3 squad... maybe worth a question there...
Old 30 Jan 2005, 12:27 (Ref:1213121)   #180
ART Racing
Rookie

Australia
Toowoomba, QLD
Willos Supra

Willo raced it in the ATCC in 2 or 3 races in the latter part of 87, then at Bathurst where he qualified the car but neither John Sax or Chris Clearahan could so it didn't race, then John took it to NZ and raced it there for a while. The car in the garage is definately the 87 Bathurst car, and it is certainly the mechanicals from the 86 and earlier car, some of which are definately from the 84 TRD Hughes of Beaconsfield built car. It still has the AP brakes, the straight cut close ratio dog box, fabricated plenum chamber etc that were put on the car in 1985, the 85 fuel tank, the instruments etc from the 84 car. The previous owner confirmed the chassis number with TRD who stated that it was the same chassis no as the 84 car. There is evidence that a new roof has been grafted on, and I would say most of the car behind the firewall was replaced after 86, again there is evidence of that on the body. However, I need to research it better because there are conflicting stories about what happened to the car post 86, not to mention before that!
Old 31 Jan 2005, 00:01 (Ref:1213452)   #181
Dingo
Racer

United Nations
Dingo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is the Williamson Supra the same one that Nico Sieling provisionally entered at Bathurst for 1988? I remembered seeing it on the initial entry list but never hearing another word about it...
Old 31 Jan 2005, 03:41 (Ref:1213503)   #182
Timu
Veteran

New Zealand
Waiuku, New Zealand
Timu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey what about the roses amongst the thorns?

Larrys girls, the Castrol Cougars of Melinda Price and Kerryn Brewer.....

I know Melinda Price had a seat in the Bathurst 24hr but I don't know about the other ladies (or woman as they would like to be called)

Here is confirmation of the Cougars 1998 enduro assault.
http://www.autoweb.com.au/cms/A_50552/newsarticle.html

And an Interesting one here on a Kmart Holden of a different type!
http://www.autoweb.com.au/cms/A_50552/newsarticle.html
http://us1.webpublications.com.au/st...51330_00mg.jpg

I also remember a third female driver for the cougars but I was quite young and alcohol seems to have effected my memory.
Old 31 Jan 2005, 05:18 (Ref:1213526)   #183
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Melinda is, or was very close to, getting married and was travelling Europe with her partner about a year or two back. I think the guys at UltraTune would have a fair handle on information there.

Kerryn seems to have slipped into obscurity, and like Timu, my tongue eludes of the third name.......

Last edited by Just Do It!; 31 Jan 2005 at 05:19.
Old 31 Jan 2005, 05:45 (Ref:1213532)   #184
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
The third one was a TV presenter who did quite well for someone without a big racing background, and the fourth one was going to drive rossco McGlashins Aussie Invader (?) to be the fastest girl in the world IIRC???
Old 31 Jan 2005, 06:10 (Ref:1213535)   #185
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo
Is the Williamson Supra the same one that Nico Sieling provisionally entered at Bathurst for 1988? I remembered seeing it on the initial entry list but never hearing another word about it...
It was supposed to be the same car... but it likely wouldnt have qualified anyway... Willo was about the only driver who got any speed out of it... and even then it wasnt that fast

Nicely shaped car tho
Old 31 Jan 2005, 08:10 (Ref:1213570)   #186
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmdog
The third one was a TV presenter who did quite well for someone without a big racing background, and the fourth one was going to drive rossco McGlashins Aussie Invader (?) to be the fastest girl in the world IIRC???
Kym Watkins (presenter on Channel 9's 'Money') and Paula Elstrek?
Old 31 Jan 2005, 08:16 (Ref:1213575)   #187
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Yep, that sounds pretty good, definately Elstrek, and if Watkins is a tall Stunner then she would be the other. Plenty of people were surprised that she didnt get a go at least at an ATCC round. Did quite well was the word after practice.
Old 31 Jan 2005, 08:20 (Ref:1213577)   #188
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did Kym Watkins drive in the AGP celebrity race?
Old 31 Jan 2005, 08:25 (Ref:1213580)   #189
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Probably in the Ch9 GP days I would imagine.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/other.aspx?id=13802

I guess she wasnt a blonde!!

Last edited by rdmdog; 31 Jan 2005 at 08:27.
Old 31 Jan 2005, 08:38 (Ref:1213586)   #190
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Seems Kim did have a go at the GP Celebrity Race in 1998, http://www.fastlane.com.au/News/AstrasAGP.htm
Old 31 Jan 2005, 10:09 (Ref:1213631)   #191
Dingo
Racer

United Nations
Dingo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://216.239.57.104/search?q=cache...+watkins&hl=en has Michelle Fielke as a test driver for the Cougars (original page is now gone, but the Google cache still has the info)...
Old 31 Jan 2005, 10:46 (Ref:1213661)   #192
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think Paula Elstrek was part of the Cougars

The four as i remember were Melinda Price, Kerryn Brewer, Michelle Fielke and Kym Watkins.

All tested, and i think it was Fielke who got a steer at a state meeting somewhere. Not sure if Watkins got a race.

I recall Fielke beating aerial skier Kirstie Marshall in a last lap duel in the Celebrity race in 1993?, in Holden Calibra's.

Last edited by racer69; 31 Jan 2005 at 10:47.
Old 1 Feb 2005, 05:42 (Ref:1214297)   #193
Sultan
Veteran

Australia
Brisvegas, Australia
Sultan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Going back to the Supra, don't forget it was also involved in a roll over at Oran Park in (I think) '85, only for the stranded car to be hit by his own brother in law (Mike Quinn from memory) driving a Corolla!!!! As Bill Tuckey described it - "A granpa's axe"... - stil loved that car though....
Old 1 Feb 2005, 09:05 (Ref:1214373)   #194
ART Racing
Rookie

Australia
Toowoomba, QLD
Supra

OK, story on the Supra from Peter Williamson is that it was pretty much reshelled twice, once after Bathurst 84 and once after Bathurst 86. All the stories in the books about it being flown to Japan and back after 84 are incorrect. Only one log book though, so the car is listed as the same car reshelled twice on the logbook, keeping the same mechanicals (apart from homologation updates) right through.

Still need to find John Sax if possible!

Regards,

John
Old 1 Feb 2005, 09:22 (Ref:1214391)   #195
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
So what about the chassis number, if that was that the identifier in the CAMS log book, does it record that the shells had indeed changed?

This brings up the argument about what a "car" actually is...
Old 1 Feb 2005, 09:40 (Ref:1214408)   #196
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gr A Supra

Ray Gulson in Canberra had a Gr A Supra for sale at one stage ......
Old 2 Feb 2005, 02:03 (Ref:1215128)   #197
Growling Ferret
Racer

Growling Ferret should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Duane Wilson of Queanbeyan, now occasional saloon car driver, had a Group A Supra in his garage for a couple of years - not sure where he sold it to though.

It was a legit item - if only I knew its history!
Old 2 Feb 2005, 03:48 (Ref:1215165)   #198
Sultan
Veteran

Australia
Brisvegas, Australia
Sultan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe the later model ex-Willmington beast???
Old 4 Feb 2005, 06:20 (Ref:1217155)   #199
Timu
Veteran

New Zealand
Waiuku, New Zealand
Timu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmdog
Probably in the Ch9 GP days I would imagine.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/other.aspx?id=13802

I guess she wasnt a blonde!!
I saw Kim Watkins today on the NRL Footy Show DVD as a guest, also Jack Elsegood many times....
Old 4 Feb 2005, 07:25 (Ref:1217174)   #200
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't beat them QLD girls??????????

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!