Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 5 Sep 2007, 17:04 (Ref:2004467)   #201
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmunky
I'm currently looking at a few Ford Fiesta 1.25 zetecs, they seem like pretty good cars.
Although i'm currently trying to wade my way through the midst of chavved up Corsa's and Fiesta's etc... There's alot.

17 soon!
Tell you what, the 1.25 Zetec's a cracking little car!

I drove a lot of them as company demo's in 1996/97 time when they were first out and loved them. Revvy engine, light steering, speedy enough and (I would imagine) cheap insurance. Should be able to find a few unmolested ones for a good price?
Old 5 Sep 2007, 18:23 (Ref:2004537)   #202
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
17?

Are you allowed out this late?

Back to your old peoples home!

And Chunterer, i've found plenty of pretty nice ones for just under £900. So there's hope for me yet!
97 models too.

Highly reccomended then?
Old 5 Sep 2007, 18:24 (Ref:2004538)   #203
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm currently looking at a few Ford Fiesta 1.25 zetecs, they seem like pretty good cars.
Although i'm currently trying to wade my way through the midst of chavved up Corsa's and Fiesta's etc... There's alot.

17 soon!
good one, 1.25 zetec fiesta is a good little car although its a cursed car in my family as both my brother and sister have had crashes in fiesta's, so a fiesta is a no go for me unfortuantely but find a good one and you will have a corker of a car monkey.

my advice is dont go for a corsa, not very nice to drive especially the older shaped corsa's, i found that they had very wooly handling, if you can maybe consider a little fiat cinquencento or however you spell it, its a ugly little car but it is fab to drive and will cost nout to run as well.
Old 5 Sep 2007, 18:34 (Ref:2004543)   #204
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hehe, my dad won't pay for my insurance if it's French or Italian
So I'm pretty much stuck with a fiesta.

Shame. But still, can't wait.
Just sent off for my provisional today too!
Old 5 Sep 2007, 19:49 (Ref:2004584)   #205
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtime
My day to day transport is a Chrysler 300C with 5.7 Hemi engine. I can't fault it and dont regret buying it at all. It was an indulgent choice but what the heck.

I have also got a 1990 Mini Cooper, Kawasaki 800 motorbike and a 2002 Ford WRC liveried Ranger althought that hasn't turned a wheel for about 6 months.

The 300C and Cooper parked next to one another look like Laurel and Hardy.

Tim

Those are very nice cars, they look absolutely solid on the road. You must use some juice though with that Hemi!

Rockmunky, being a Ford owner there are a couple of things to look out for, not just on Fiestas, but all Fords, and that is rust and knackered wishbone bushes. The wishbones aren't a big deal, £100 would be plenty to budget for if they need replaced.
Old 5 Sep 2007, 19:56 (Ref:2004586)   #206
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Yeah, I've heard things about the Suspension/wishbone area.

And yes, rust on older fords is a problem. It's nowhere near as bad on the new models is it? Or am i wrong?

Last edited by Rockmunky; 5 Sep 2007 at 20:02.
Old 5 Sep 2007, 21:09 (Ref:2004641)   #207
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You could well be. There's been people bought (brand new) Fiestas and had rust on them within a few months, specifically around the door seals. My 2 year old Fiesta is rusting around the seat mounts..
Old 5 Sep 2007, 21:58 (Ref:2004695)   #208
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Ouch!

I wasn't aware it was still a problem. They must use some pretty crappy materials then?
Old 5 Sep 2007, 23:24 (Ref:2004744)   #209
timtime
Rookie

timtime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
Those are very nice cars, they look absolutely solid on the road. You must use some juice though with that Hemi!
I considered the 3.5 but the consumption is no better. I drive quite economically and mid to high 20s are achievable. I have averaged just over 20MPG overall so poor but given the engine its not so bad.

Gordon Brown loves me, its unrequited though!!

Off to Santa Pod for the weekend so GPM rather than MPG is going to be the order of the day.

Tim

Last edited by timtime; 5 Sep 2007 at 23:26.
Old 6 Sep 2007, 15:40 (Ref:2005317)   #210
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Hehe, my dad won't pay for my insurance if it's French or Italian
So I'm pretty much stuck with a fiesta.

Shame. But still, can't wait.
Just sent off for my provisional today too!
well depending on your budget, stretch to a focus, drove a friend's today and it is a very nice car to drive, slightly sticky gearbox and clutch but the handling is great, the brake's good and the engine a 1.6 zetec lump was rather more punchy than i thought!.

insurance is not too bad on them either but if you can afford a focus grab a 1.4 3 door zetec, the cheapest focus model on insurance.

also consider a ford KA as well, yes its a bit of a girl's car but they are rather nice to drive and very roomy for their size but street-cred wise im not sure.
Old 6 Sep 2007, 16:03 (Ref:2005347)   #211
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I like the 1.6 zetec engined focus - though the diesel isn't bad either, and definitely a lot more fuel efficient!

Never driven a ka but have driven a Ford Fusion - wouldn't go near another one again, doesn't handle nicely and don't like the seating position [too high].
Old 6 Sep 2007, 18:21 (Ref:2005494)   #212
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
My Fiesta has the 1.6 TDCi engine, and very good it is too.

I think that dj choc ice would be referring to the Mk1 Focus, but the Mk2 1.6 engine has variable valve timing I believe, which increases the power on them.
Old 6 Sep 2007, 19:39 (Ref:2005585)   #213
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
I think the Ford KA looks like a scrotum.
I can't really afford a focus. I'm perfectly happy to have a Fiesta as my first car.

Cannot wait!
Old 7 Sep 2007, 17:11 (Ref:2006228)   #214
RCMADD
Racer

England
derby
RCMADD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
current car ford galaxy 1.9tdi

new car soon will be a citroen c4 grand picasso 1.6hdi vtr+
Old 8 Sep 2007, 18:46 (Ref:2006994)   #215
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
My Fiesta has the 1.6 TDCi engine, and very good it is too.

I think that dj choc ice would be referring to the Mk1 Focus, but the Mk2 1.6 engine has variable valve timing I believe, which increases the power on them.
right you are me love, the mk.1 focus is nicer looking imo and a little nicer to drive, the mk.2 does have a better engine though in 1.6 form though.
Old 9 Sep 2007, 01:47 (Ref:2007235)   #216
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have an evaluation car from Toyota at the moment... a Toyota Kluger...

Its very similar in spec to my own car, a Magna AWD, with 3.5L v6 aboard.... but the Kluger sits up higher... being a fulltime AWD... looking for all the world like a pumped up RAV4...

But what a jet of an engine! 201kW... WOW! Not many beating you off the lights ! And... in the 300km or so I have driven it... runs at 15.5L/100km... which is about 2 litres/100km better than the Magna over similar roads!

Its too big to park in regular spaces, it just fits... without cracking open a door, although the reversing camera (standard) helps get you into spaces you may have otherwise given up on

She's a beauty...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 13 Sep 2007, 12:09 (Ref:2011092)   #217
Col_Rugby
Pancake Botherer
Racer

England
Rugby
Col_Rugby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ford Galaxy 2.3.
Need it to haul the tribe around plus if I take the back & middle seats out 2 of us can sleep quite comfortably for a night. trouble is no curtans
Old 13 Sep 2007, 12:45 (Ref:2011130)   #218
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj choc ice
... the mk.1 focus is nicer looking imo and a little nicer to drive, the mk.2 does have a better engine though in 1.6 form though.
The Mk1 Focus is a much better drive than the Mk2, the 1.6 petrol of either version is lacking power - both are very sluggish.
Old 16 Sep 2007, 22:37 (Ref:2015041)   #219
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Cryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2
The Mk1 Focus is a much better drive than the Mk2, the 1.6 petrol of either version is lacking power - both are very sluggish.
Your both wrong Its a poor excuse for a car!

Move along nothing to see here

To keep the national IQ higher, we prevent links in the signatures. Its clearly in the notice, but that doesn't stop some people moaning about it..
Old 17 Sep 2007, 04:55 (Ref:2015207)   #220
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should try a Corolla then - it's like driving while sitting on a bar stool... Hopefully the new ones are better.
Old 17 Sep 2007, 07:46 (Ref:2015320)   #221
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just past my drivers test last thursday( ) and I've ordered a Toyota Aygo, now I just have to wait 10 to 14 weeks

Old 18 Sep 2007, 06:27 (Ref:2016443)   #222
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
I have an evaluation car from Toyota at the moment... a Toyota Kluger...

Its very similar in spec to my own car, a Magna AWD, with 3.5L v6 aboard.... but the Kluger sits up higher... being a fulltime AWD... looking for all the world like a pumped up RAV4...

But what a jet of an engine! 201kW... WOW! Not many beating you off the lights ! And... in the 300km or so I have driven it... runs at 15.5L/100km... which is about 2 litres/100km better than the Magna over similar roads!

Its too big to park in regular spaces, it just fits... without cracking open a door, although the reversing camera (standard) helps get you into spaces you may have otherwise given up on

She's a beauty...
Thats a pretty high Fuel average. My V8 is always under 10L/100k's, and thats still giving it abit off the lights.

Love the idea of AWD, if only Holden offered something AWD with a manual
Old 19 Sep 2007, 20:53 (Ref:2018280)   #223
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Cryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would like to get either a Legacy or a Corsa SRI 1400

To keep the national IQ higher, we prevent links in the signatures. Its clearly in the notice, but that doesn't stop some people moaning about it..
Old 22 Sep 2007, 01:05 (Ref:2020181)   #224
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY
Thats a pretty high Fuel average. My V8 is always under 10L/100k's, and thats still giving it abit off the lights.

Love the idea of AWD, if only Holden offered something AWD with a manual
The understeer in some AWD's is a killer! The consumption is high because the average speed is 0km/h over the distance... a lot of stop/start stuff
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 22 Sep 2007, 11:30 (Ref:2020378)   #225
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
The understeer in some AWD's is a killer! The consumption is high because the average speed is 0km/h over the distance... a lot of stop/start stuff
Yeah i doubt i'b be able to get my head around an AWD.
Hmm, my Average is 45 (i think, havn't driven the car for a few months) but the 10L/100 i was going by is an instant readout i get on my car