Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 16 Apr 2015, 02:54 (Ref:3527824)   #2376
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fortunately for Toyota, the WEC calendar does not give two hoots about the braking zones that Toyota likes.
Old 16 Apr 2015, 04:06 (Ref:3527830)   #2377
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Fortunately for Toyota, the WEC calendar does not give two hoots about the braking zones that Toyota likes.
Whats that mean?
Old 16 Apr 2015, 05:34 (Ref:3527837)   #2378
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
I read the post on the facebook page, he didnt say a full second faster. He only mentioned Toyota did a 1:36 in testing. Unless he elaborated further in another post. .
He actually said it on air.
Old 16 Apr 2015, 21:58 (Ref:3528076)   #2379
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
He actually said it on air.
During the Silverstone race or a MWM episode?
Old 16 Apr 2015, 23:04 (Ref:3528086)   #2380
Toyotats03OUS
Veteran

United States
U.S.A
Toyotats03OUS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What are the chances that toyota might be BSing a lil bit ?what if they dont want to show what they got until le mans?what if they are just letting the competition feel confident of what they have and they (toyota) are just hiding and playing the acting game....i mean think about it , if you show what you got now ,,it is going to give a chance to the competition to adjust and get better. but if you play your card right and and make the right move at the right time,it is on...there is that rumor of the 1:36 at paul,,,"i know there is no solid prove,," but the rumor is there....toyota won the championship last year,but what they really want is le mans and giving up a few races for the big price is nothing to them,,i like to believe the that is what is really going on,,maybe not, maybe they really messed up ,,time will tell...
Old 16 Apr 2015, 23:48 (Ref:3528095)   #2381
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's hard to believe that team that only brings 2 cars against 3 of others would "give up few races" for Le Mans.

In any case, they are all of course sandbagging a little bit, but now that pre-bopping of 2012-2013 is no longer possible there is no reason at all to hide out performance. Even if manufacturer X was 5 seconds faster than anyone else at Silverstone and Spa, they still wouldn't stand still and prepare lazily for Le Mans, it's the number one priority of the season and nothing else matters in comparison. You don't take it easy. So no, I don't believe they're hiding anything beyond the usual small amount everyone always is.
Old 17 Apr 2015, 00:46 (Ref:3528109)   #2382
TF110
Veteran

United States
They admit Silverstone doesn't work so well for their type of hybrid harvesting. I think Spa is better, but its not like Le Mans with hard braking consistently. Hope no bop is applied to the cars this year. Let them fight it out as they are.
Old 17 Apr 2015, 01:01 (Ref:3528110)   #2383
tyronnezx
Racer

Sri Lanka
New Zealand
tyronnezx has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyotats03OUS View Post
What are the chances that toyota might be BSing a lil bit ?what if they dont want to show what they got until le mans?what if they are just letting the competition feel confident of what they have and they (toyota) are just hiding and playing the acting game....i mean think about it , if you show what you got now ,,it is going to give a chance to the competition to adjust and get better. but if you play your card right and and make the right move at the right time,it is on...there is that rumor of the 1:36 at paul,,,"i know there is no solid prove,," but the rumor is there....toyota won the championship last year,but what they really want is le mans and giving up a few races for the big price is nothing to them,,i like to believe the that is what is really going on,,maybe not, maybe they really messed up ,,time will tell...

I would love to believe this, but im not too sure at this stage. At least one of their advantages should have leaked by now, if that were the case. Sandbagging isn't really that easy as going off throttle and braking early than usual to add a few seconds to your lap-time to fool the competition. its actually a big ask from the drivers unless they are managing that via engine and throttle mapping...By the way, im not too sure about this, but are the rules supposed to be shaken up for the 2016 season? and most importantly will Toyota have a ts050 lined up for next season or roll the ts040.
Old 17 Apr 2015, 01:04 (Ref:3528111)   #2384
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
^ Updated regs are for 2017 so everything is just evolution for next year
Old 17 Apr 2015, 01:26 (Ref:3528114)   #2385
tyronnezx
Racer

Sri Lanka
New Zealand
tyronnezx has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
^ Updated regs are for 2017 so everything is just evolution for next year
Well then, No questions asked, Toyota are going to NEED a different powertrain and unquestionably the 8MJ option. I dont even know if they have FRIC suspension but that's whats giving Audi the advantage this year

Last edited by tyronnezx; 17 Apr 2015 at 01:31.
Old 17 Apr 2015, 01:53 (Ref:3528116)   #2386
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyotats03OUS View Post
yes, everyone may be holding something back till Le Mans, but as others have said, Silverstone is a different track than Le Mans. All the teams will deploy a different aerodynamic setup for Le Mans (and possibly Spa) so we will have to see what everyone brings to Spa before we really get into the details of who is lagging in what area.
Old 17 Apr 2015, 02:08 (Ref:3528117)   #2387
Deleted
Veteran

Now this is what you call sandbagging, 2010

Spa 1000KM Q
1) Peugeot 1:57.884
2) Audi 1:58.519
3) Peugeot 1:59.421
4) Oreca Peugeot 1:59.623
5) Audi 1:59.707
6) Audi 1:59.795
7) Peugeot 1:59.989

Le Mans 2010 Q
1) Peugeot 3:19.711
2) Peugeot 3:20.317
3) Peugeot 3:20.325
4) Oreca Peugeot 3:21.129
5) Audi 3:21.981
6) Audi 3:22.176
7) Audi 3:23.605

After first quali day it was even worse, like 4-5 second gaps
Old 17 Apr 2015, 03:38 (Ref:3528125)   #2388
TF110
Veteran

United States
Last year, Toyota only used the 'high downforce' package at Silverstone. I think that says something about that track's unique nature. Next year will be a different hybrid system. I wonder if the TS040 designation will stay on until 2017. I'd imagine so since the rules should require a new generation of car and then we'll see a TS050(?) most likely.
Old 18 Apr 2015, 19:52 (Ref:3528584)   #2389
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Not sure I noticed big understeer, but I did think the Toyota looked more on edge at Silverstone than the others. Moving around more in the turns. The Audi was very impressive, nothing dramatic from Porsche and noticeably slower through the turns.
It was me or the Toyota sounded with a higher pitch than last year?
Old 18 Apr 2015, 20:54 (Ref:3528592)   #2390
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't know. I went to both, but can't really remember.
Old 19 Apr 2015, 00:21 (Ref:3528690)   #2391
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not really up on the latest specs of cars etc, so I don't really come into these threads, but just thought I'd let you know what a couple of Toyota engineers told me and my brother at Silverstone (after the post-race scrutineering).

We originally asked them about what downforce package was being used, but they glossed over that and started talking about just how cheap the Toyota higher-ups were doing everything, wishing that like Porsche and Audi they had some money to use and that they are running last year's car.
They were quite envious of Porsche and "that other lot" spending masses on brand new cars.
But they seemed not to be too worried about Porsche just yet (apparently Porsche will continue to be less of a threat as races go on due to their energy recovery system), but they said the were seriously worried about Audi.
Also, they are still hurt and angry that they didn't win Le Mans last year, but they don't seem confident of being able to put if right.
Old 19 Apr 2015, 00:45 (Ref:3528733)   #2392
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting! Worry about "the other lot" would be accurate. Can anything stop the E-Trons this year other than themselves?
Old 19 Apr 2015, 03:03 (Ref:3528780)   #2393
TF110
Veteran

United States
Wow, never heard of them complaining about running an old car. Besides, we already know theyre using last year's "car", they said it was the same chassis. Audi are using the same chassis as well. Both had to have new crash tests done because of the revisions made. I bet theyre worried about all their competition. Every team should be. If not, thats being cocky and no team should rest on their laurels.

Maybe next year the budget will go up with Toyota's focus on racing as the forefront to their car sales. Plus the fact they'll be renamed as Toyota Gazoo Racing and running a new type of hybrid system.
Old 19 Apr 2015, 10:45 (Ref:3528841)   #2394
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
We originally asked them about what downforce package was being used, but they glossed over that and started talking about just how cheap the Toyota higher-ups were doing everything, wishing that like Porsche and Audi they had some money to use and that they are running last year's car. They were quite envious of Porsche and "that other lot" spending masses on brand new cars.
But they seemed not to be too worried about Porsche just yet (apparently Porsche will continue to be less of a threat as races go on due to their energy recovery system), but they said the were seriously worried about Audi. Also, they are still hurt and angry that they didn't win Le Mans last year, but they don't seem confident of being able to put if right.
Honestly I think we saw the beginnings of this frustration and disappointment after last year's race, with the bru-ha-ha over the rotati-wing and Rob Leupen's comments. Last year was Toyota's race to lose and unfortunately they did.

It is interesting to hear about their relative dismissal of Porsche; I would have thought that the Tilkedromes would suit both them and Toyota moreso than Audi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Maybe next year the budget will go up with Toyota's focus on racing as the forefront to their car sales. Plus the fact they'll be renamed as Toyota Gazoo Racing and running a new type of hybrid system.
As much as I don't want to see TMG in the doldrums there may be a silver lining if it helped to persuade TMC to hand over some more cash. They're doing a great job with a significantly lower budget, but ultimately there comes a time when you have to rob Peter to pay Paul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Interesting! Worry about "the other lot" would be accurate. Can anything stop the E-Trons this year other than themselves?

Mind, it could also stop the TS040 as well...
Old 19 Apr 2015, 18:19 (Ref:3528969)   #2395
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
Honestly I think we saw the beginnings of this frustration and disappointment after last year's race, with the bru-ha-ha over the rotati-wing and Rob Leupen's comments. Last year was Toyota's race to lose and unfortunately they did.

It is interesting to hear about their relative dismissal of Porsche; I would have thought that the Tilkedromes would suit both them and Toyota moreso than Audi.

As much as I don't want to see TMG in the doldrums there may be a silver lining if it helped to persuade TMC to hand over some more cash. They're doing a great job with a significantly lower budget, but ultimately there comes a time when you have to rob Peter to pay Paul.

Mind, it could also stop the TS040 as well...
I think people are jumping to conclusions based on one race and some comments weve heard before concerning the car. Theres no reason to think a small budget will last forever. We know it wont thanks to outlets like dsc, and Toyota have said the new focus is putting racing first.

Im looking forward to Spa to see what their low-drag package is capable of. It seemed fast in top end at Ricard, so I have a good feeling.
Old 19 Apr 2015, 19:02 (Ref:3528985)   #2396
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One race not wining and Toyota is dead? My biggest criticism of Toyota is just bringing 2 cars to Le Mans (one crashes, one breaks, one wins...) but they´ll be there, I´m sure. Even in 2013 with a car behind Audi they were pushing in the morning.
Old 19 Apr 2015, 19:58 (Ref:3529002)   #2397
Articus
Veteran

I cannot wait to find out who has the goods for Le Mans.
Old 19 Apr 2015, 21:37 (Ref:3529038)   #2398
cokata
Veteran

cokata should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish Primer View Post
One race not wining and Toyota is dead? My biggest criticism of Toyota is just bringing 2 cars to Le Mans (one crashes, one breaks, one wins...) but they´ll be there, I´m sure. Even in 2013 with a car behind Audi they were pushing in the morning.
They were 3-4 seconds per lap slower than the audis in the dry. The only that kept them close (if you count a lap back as being close) is that it was raining frequently and they were quicker in the wet for some reason, and they had a flawless running with 0 incidents and technical issues. If the weather was like in '14 they would have been 3 or more laps behind.
Old 20 Apr 2015, 03:17 (Ref:3529175)   #2399
TF110
Veteran

United States
There were cautions in '13 that worked against Toyota's hopeful strategy of being able to go further per stint. But thats the past, this is 2015. Even though they werent so fast in Silverstone, they still had potential of doing a 1:39.7 (but for traffic) in qualifying at an unfavorable track. So when they hit tracks with lots of hard braking, theyre full potential should be really fast.
Old 20 Apr 2015, 05:29 (Ref:3529197)   #2400
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
But they seemed not to be too worried about Porsche just yet (apparently Porsche will continue to be less of a threat as races go on due to their energy recovery system), but they said the were seriously worried about Audi.
I'm struggling to understand what they meant by this: If they were referring to Porsche's battery system, then is it not true that Toyota will be going to a battery system similar to Porsche's next year? Is it not strange to opt to go to a similar system if they consider it to be "non- threatening"?
If they are talking about Porsche being in the 8MJ class, then Toyota is also working on joining the 8 MJ class next year, so it makes no sense.
To not be too worried about a team (albeit two different cars) that won the last race of the season, had 50% of the poles in last years championship and got pole in the first race of this year's championship and came second only to Audi in the first race, seems to me to be disingenuous ( and to be honest a little disrespectful) at the very least.
Why would Porsche become less of a threat as races go on? There was certainly no indication of this at Silverstone (The worst track for Porsche in the championship), and I still have to read/hear from any of the Porsche drivers or engineers complaining about their system not working properly as the race go on.
Porsche weak point seems to be with there tire-wear, not their hybrid system.
If by all of this what they were really trying to say is that they are benchmarking against Audi rather than Porsche, then I can fully understand that. Porsche are doing the same. The difference is that Porsche are doing that without disrespecting Toyota.

Last edited by Spyderman; 20 Apr 2015 at 05:45.