Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 5 Dec 2004, 08:21 (Ref:1171076)   #1
Antrodemus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington, NZ
Antrodemus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wellington Street Circuit - First Draft

A 'draft' proposal of a possible new 3.5km Wellington street circuit for the V8s was displayed prominently in the Dom-Post on Saturday.

A link to the story (minus map) is here.

The run down the waterfront looks extremely fast, but there are issues around the fact that the Central Police Station will be isolated inside the circuit.

So what do you guys reckon? Any good?
Old 5 Dec 2004, 08:32 (Ref:1171084)   #2
jjd
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
jjd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjjd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The good part is the retailers association dont mind.Why dont the police park there cars in a designated spot,enclosed and a walk bridge to the station.
Old 5 Dec 2004, 13:06 (Ref:1171292)   #3
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How does this track compare (location wise) to the original Wellington street circuit used between 1985-1996?
Old 6 Dec 2004, 00:52 (Ref:1171859)   #4
nicko
Racer

nicko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember the old truck made wellington look like a dump. Antrodemus, u must know this area quite well, so do u think this planned layout will show off wellington in a good way.

That track layout would be great as long as they dont put many chicanes in. I have a funny feeling they would have to put one on that long main straight (which i could probally live with) but any more (like the 96 layout) will make it boring.
Old 6 Dec 2004, 01:11 (Ref:1171865)   #5
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Evomike should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always felt the old track in Wellington was too tight, hopefully any new track would be better than that.
Old 6 Dec 2004, 01:17 (Ref:1171870)   #6
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The old track used Cable Street and Jervis Quay as the back part of the circuit.

The front part of the circuit (start/finish) area seems to be completely changed from the old 1985-1996 circuit.

attached is the old circuit layout sourced from e-tracks.com

and a modern map sourced from MultiMap.com

Old 6 Dec 2004, 04:44 (Ref:1171963)   #7
Antrodemus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington, NZ
I'll try to answer everyone's questions in one fell swoop!

Here's a better map, with the new circuit in red and the old in blue:

I think most 90° corners are planned to have grandstands on them, with significant viewing areas also around Frank Kitts Park and Queens Wharf. The Stadium Concourse would be good too, being elevated, but I think it was set aside for corporates. It also has easy access from the greater Wellington area from the Railway Station too!
The whole waterfront area where the old track used to run is nicely done up now, and the Queens Wharf Event Centre (and associated bars ) was certainly the logical centre of activity for the event. As far as aesthetics go, the area up by the container terminal could be a bit of a problem, but if they ring it with grandstands whose going to mind?
The only chicaney-type structures I can see on the track would be coming off Victoria St back onto Jervios Quay, but that's mainly a function of the layout of the roads anyway, or possibly on Jervois Quay to get around the pit entry. If it goes ahead it's definately going to be fast!

Last edited by Antrodemus; 6 Dec 2004 at 04:45.
Old 6 Dec 2004, 22:29 (Ref:1172905)   #8
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evomike
I always felt the old track in Wellington was too tight, hopefully any new track would be better than that.
There's a classic quote....an accountant finds something too tight
Old 6 Dec 2004, 22:36 (Ref:1172911)   #9
flyingduck
Veteran

flyingduck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks real good has anyone heard of the planned manukau track and where it would go. Hope a street race comes of one of the plans because I think Manfield would have as many problems as Puke
Old 7 Dec 2004, 02:10 (Ref:1173008)   #10
nicko
Racer

The manukau street race will be a flop, they would race up wiri station rd (where rainbows end is) this new wellington street race looks good, thou ive been told that the streets in the CBD where the race is planned are really narrow, and it looks like the only passing opportunities are going to be at either end of the long straight.
Old 7 Dec 2004, 02:21 (Ref:1173016)   #11
Antrodemus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington, NZ
Only if you call 2 lanes + parking on either side narrow nicko. Once they clear everything out it should be ok (hopefully!).
Old 7 Dec 2004, 02:53 (Ref:1173027)   #12
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well considering the canberra layout was only 9 Metres wide in some parts, im pretty sure that Wellington would be wider then it !
Old 7 Dec 2004, 04:09 (Ref:1173045)   #13
woodbine
Veteran

Australia
Peterborough
woodbine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking at the map my first instinct would be to run it the other way round. Going clockwise the kink before the railway station hairpin would ruin that as an overtaking spot, leaving just the end of the main straight as the only place to pass.

Apart from that it looks good as street circuits go
Old 7 Dec 2004, 04:19 (Ref:1173047)   #14
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Put the money and effort into a permanent facility,all the money wasted on pie in the sky street races already could have built some nice new facilities at one of the permanent tracks,lets pick a track and get everyone in behind it and focused on one location.Better to have one race somewhere that **** around with half baked street race plans that will fall down the next time the concil gets voted out.
Old 8 Dec 2004, 10:17 (Ref:1174187)   #15
nicko
Racer

If you want a NZ round pleadge your support for the wellington street race at http://wellingtonstreetrace.co.nz/
Old 8 Dec 2004, 14:29 (Ref:1174367)   #16
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender
Put the money and effort into a permanent facility,all the money wasted on pie in the sky street races already could have built some nice new facilities at one of the permanent tracks,lets pick a track and get everyone in behind it and focused on one location.Better to have one race somewhere that **** around with half baked street race plans that will fall down the next time the concil gets voted out.
Why destroy the beautiful NZ environment building a permanent track when there is plenty of tarmac in the city that can be used? I have never been there but I would imagine that it has facilites that can be used.
Old 9 Dec 2004, 07:23 (Ref:1175019)   #17
jjd
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
jjd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjjd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
www.wellingtonstreetrace.co.nz
Register your support here,if you want to
Old 9 Dec 2004, 10:29 (Ref:1175132)   #18
mitzi dude
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
mitzi dude should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After looking at the map of the track I reckon it looks quite good . the last track they had was smaller, go Wellington I hope something comes of it.
Old 9 Dec 2004, 21:19 (Ref:1175628)   #19
nicko
Racer

Ok I think we have found the Wellington version of Dr Hucker.

V8 Opponents Welcome Wait For Decision
09/12/2004 03:44 PM
NewstalkZB

People opposed to a Wellington V8 Supercar race are pleased that a decision will not be made until after Christmas.

Councillor Wade Brown says she is going to start a website encouraging Wellingtonians to oppose the race.

The Wellington Street Race Supporters group, formed by Mark Blumsky, launched a website on Wednesday morning and has had over a thousand registrations.

Councillor Wade Brown says she has had plenty of emails from people against the V8 race.

She says people will have time to think about the negative effects it will have on the city in the next few months.

She understands that some motorsport fans think V8s are cool, but questions whether, in an era when climate change is the biggest environmental threat, a V8 race sends the right message.

She also said the other day that v8s were so 20th century.

This woman is a joke, if any one could find her contact details then we could send her a few friendly emails.
Old 9 Dec 2004, 21:20 (Ref:1175629)   #20
Antrodemus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington, NZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjd
www.wellingtonstreetrace.co.nz
Register your support here,if you want to
Been there, done that
Old 9 Dec 2004, 21:28 (Ref:1175648)   #21
nicko
Racer

Quote:
She understands that some motorsport fans think V8s are cool, but questions whether, in an era when climate change is the biggest environmental threat, a V8 race sends the right message.
This bit gets me the most. I mean if there was a race in the city, and a good portion of it was cut off to traffic, most people taking public transport to get to the race, then the traffic levels would be considerably less.

I would like to see the impact 32 v8 cars have on the environment.
Old 9 Dec 2004, 22:21 (Ref:1175709)   #22
Hapul
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Hapul should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I reckon this is all a joke. There will always be someone compaining, i.e, the auckland council or the wellington police. We should all just suspect that TC is either gng to renew the pukekohe deal or get the v8s going to Manfeild.

"So, do you just go for anything red, Russell?"
-M Skaife