Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 10 Aug 2002, 11:28 (Ref:354542)   #1
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
CYD WILLIAMS Painting

Here is a 30 x 20in. montage painting in acrylics that I have recently finished for Cyd Williams.
It shows (from top left) his 1966 Lotus Cortina, 1968 F3 Brabham BT21, 1969 F3 Chevron B15, 1970 Royale RP9 supervee, 1970 F3 Brabham BT28, 1971 F2 Brabham BT30, 1971 F.atlantic Chevron B18, 1973 F.atlantic Brabham BT40, 1972 F.atlantic March 722 and 1974 F.atlantic Sana.

I hope you like it. Any comments again gratefully received.
Attached Thumbnails
cydmont.jpg  
Old 10 Aug 2002, 11:43 (Ref:354552)   #2
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks ok, even if I don't like paintings with different cars from different series.
Old 10 Aug 2002, 17:30 (Ref:354697)   #3
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Andrew, that's beautifully put together. There's movement everywhere you look on the composition. And heaven only knows how you managed to put together all the reference material needed for the liveries.

Superb.
Old 10 Aug 2002, 17:56 (Ref:354713)   #4
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Normally agree you Hakk , but in this case i cant.

That is a amazing painting !....beautiful detail as always Andrew .

What chassis is the No66 car on the right ???..that would make a great painting all on its own
Old 12 Aug 2002, 09:22 (Ref:355834)   #5
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks again guys. Yes, the search for reference took quite some time as most of the photos loaned to me by Cyd were old black & white pics. It's the small details, stickers etc that cause problems.
The car no.66 is a 1970 Royale RP9 Supervee. The race shown is at Hockenheim. I also painted another view of this car for another montage of the history of Royale. This was used for the cover of the book 'Nowhere to Hide' about the marque which was published last Autumn by Paul Lawrence.
The Hockenheim race caused quite a stir! Supervee was very much dominated by the German's in those days and Cyd went over with a British car and beat them at home. For the book, Paul interviewed Former Royale bosses Bob King and Alan Cornock. I quote:
" There was a good crowd and they were very nationalistic. The Kaimann's were the local contenders and when Cyd won the race it all went very quiet. All the trophies and so on were centred around the Kaimann winning. But we won and that really upset the applecart. Cyd got up on the podium and they played the national anthem and there were jeers from the stands. So Cyd, who is only about five foot tall, did a Nazi salut! They went mad. They were going to murder him and us. We had to sneak Cyd out of the circuit. Looking back, it's funny but at the time it wasn't."
This Royale painting is on my website under 'prints'.
Old 12 Aug 2002, 09:43 (Ref:355846)   #6
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by hakkiman
Looks ok,
Hakk, your lack of enthusiasm about different things cracks me up sometimes!

Very nice print Andrew.
Old 13 Aug 2002, 20:39 (Ref:357201)   #7
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mr v: if you read my comment after that. It explains why I'm not that enthuiastic. I have never been a fan of this sort of picture.
Old 13 Aug 2002, 20:49 (Ref:357212)   #8
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Hakkiman your comments are always much appreciated. I have regular good customers of my work who will not buy these 'montage' style prints or paintings as they do not like them. Some say they are too busy on the content. Often they say 'If only that section of it was a print on it's own. I also have clients who buy only these and of course those who buy both.
It is ART afterall - you can't please everyone - impossible.
I always compare doing this to music, there are millions of fans out there who like Oasis or The Rolling Stones for example, yet millions who don't even if the music is well written / played. That is what art is - personal taste.
Old 13 Aug 2002, 22:01 (Ref:357279)   #9
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ive seen some montage paintings in the past that can seem that every thing is crammed into it....but i think that one is superb , and also the Festival montage youve painted is fantastic , All those different scenes over the years all rolled into one. I really love the festival painting , i was only looking at that on your web site last week again ...

Brian Jones is a lucky chap !

Last edited by Sato san; 13 Aug 2002 at 22:04.
Old 13 Aug 2002, 22:12 (Ref:357290)   #10
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Thanks Sato san...it may interest you to know that the Festival prints from that painting were printed by Dennis Davidson, Anthony's father.
In light of today's great news, I must give him a bell to congratulate 'his boy!'
Old 14 Aug 2002, 08:56 (Ref:357498)   #11
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
yes , pass on our regards as well, it must be a very proud time for him . We are dead chuffed that Ant has got his chance .
There is a Printers near me that used to run alot of the prints for Bob Herbert , i think they printed the limited edition runs of John Pleasters paintings of Johnny . I'm a printer myself , so we like to take a interest !

Last edited by Sato san; 14 Aug 2002 at 09:00.