Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 23 Jan 2003, 16:50 (Ref:483664)   #1
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Old Silverstone photos

The grid for the start of the 1967 British GP.
Clark-Hill-Hulme and Brabham on the front row. Hard to imagine a GP starting with a 4-3-4 grid these days!
Attached Thumbnails
sv67gp-grid.jpg  
Old 23 Jan 2003, 16:53 (Ref:483670)   #2
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
And they're off!
Look at the marshals / photographers at trackside!
The great days when you could spectate from above the pit lane.
Attached Thumbnails
sv67gp-start.jpg  
Old 23 Jan 2003, 16:55 (Ref:483674)   #3
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Jimmy leading the field as usual through the great old Woodcote. If it were here now, how fast would a modern F1 be going at this point? Flat no doubt.
Attached Thumbnails
sv67gp-woodcote.jpg  
Old 23 Jan 2003, 16:59 (Ref:483676)   #4
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Apex? What Apex...
A bit more up to date. FF2000s in 1977 using the pit entry road at Woodcote on the club circuit. Rad Dougall and Jeremy Rossiter.
Attached Thumbnails
sv77-ff2000rad-1.jpg  
Old 23 Jan 2003, 17:26 (Ref:483696)   #5
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Loads of oversteer at Stowe for Graham Hill in 1969 due to the bent front nose fin.
Attached Thumbnails
sv69gp-hillstowe.jpg  
Old 24 Jan 2003, 13:05 (Ref:484440)   #6
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What a brilliant shot the above is.
Old 25 Jan 2003, 09:08 (Ref:485341)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Blimey there's a name from the past. Rad Dougall. I remember him pedalling the March 782. I think he was the only one who could make it work.
Old 25 Jan 2003, 09:33 (Ref:485359)   #8
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Yes Peter, I agree, and why? Because it was engineered by the brilliant Rory Byrne who I worked with at Royale when he designed the RP25 FF2000 car seen above. Alex 'hawkeye' Hawkridge of Toleman who sponsored Rad, poached Rory from Royale to work on the F2 team, Rory then designed the fantastic Toleman F2 car for their domination of the 1980 season and then into F1. That fledgling Toleman F1 team has changed hands over the years through Benetton to the Renault F1 team of today. Rory's replacement at Royale, Pat Symonds, was recruited by Rory to the Toleman team after just 2 years and is still part of the operation - as Executive director of engineering for Renault.
Old 25 Jan 2003, 12:52 (Ref:485488)   #9
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Old Silverstone photos

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Kitson
The grid for the start of the 1967 British GP.
Clark-Hill-Hulme and Brabham on the front row. Hard to imagine a GP starting with a 4-3-4 grid these days!
And Graham in a brand new car, built up from the spare tub overnight. He damn near won too, if it hadn't been for a sixpenny component failing ......

Bob Marley
Old 25 Jan 2003, 14:25 (Ref:485548)   #10
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Chris Townsend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wasn't Rad Dougall a very in and out driver once he got beyond FF2000? I remember he was awesome round Thruxton in the March 782, but once he got onto the European circuits that he wasn't familiar with he had a real problem setting the car up. I saw a lot of Euro F2 in '78. I spent much of the summer hitching round Europe and remember Eddie Cheever, Brian Henton and Alex Ribiero getting rather more out of their cars than Dougall was. [I take it we're talking about non-works cars here, because Giacomelli dominated the championship in a works 782, but having one of those was a different matter.]

Noticeable that in the Silverstone pic Rad's front end aerodynamics appear to have been overcome in the heat of the moment, but that it doesn't seem to be making a whole lot of difference.
Old 25 Jan 2003, 15:57 (Ref:485613)   #11
ROSSITER
Rookie

ROSSITER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Kitson
Apex? What Apex...
A bit more up to date. FF2000s in 1977 using the pit entry road at Woodcote on the club circuit. Rad Dougall and Jeremy Rossiter.
I remember this day well - Rad had already removed most of the plastic marker cones as evidenced by his lack of front wing. Having overtaken him we clashed heavily at Copse on last lap but still managed to drag our cars over line 1-2 but unfortunately in the same order as the photo. He won both FF2000 Ch'ships ,I was 2nd. Heaven knows why I still keep in contact with him in S.A.!!
Jeremy Rossiter.
Old 25 Jan 2003, 19:00 (Ref:485733)   #12
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Hi Jeremy! Welcome to the forum. Good to hear from you.
Old 26 Jan 2003, 11:16 (Ref:486284)   #13
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't Rad Dougall have a bad accident at Mallory in Formula ford (1976?)? I seem to remember a meeting where he(Shaw's Hairpin), David Kennedy( Gerards) and Derek Warwick(Lake Esses) all had big shunts. I think Rad broke his legs, but the others got away uninjured.
Old 26 Jan 2003, 11:40 (Ref:486309)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Isn't it great to have personal input and recollection from those involved in the incidents/races we're seeing photos of? Marvellous!
Old 26 Jan 2003, 21:13 (Ref:486745)   #15
ROSSITER
Rookie

ROSSITER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ROSSITER
I remember this day well - Rad had already removed most of the plastic marker cones as evidenced by his lack of front wing. Having overtaken him we clashed heavily at Copse on last lap but still managed to drag our cars over line 1-2 but unfortunately in the same order as the photo. He won both FF2000 Ch'ships ,I was 2nd. Heaven knows why I still keep in contact with him in S.A.!!
Jeremy Rossiter.
Yes Rad did smash his ankles badly at the Mallory hairpin.
Incidently the FF2000 he is pictured in with the comment concerning effectiveness of front wings was the first of a well known aerodynamicist: Rory Byrne!
Old 27 Jan 2003, 08:40 (Ref:487156)   #16
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Here is Rad again, in the Rory Byrne designed Royale RP21 - cutting the pit entry road again ahead of David Heale - 1976.
Attached Thumbnails
sv76-rp21-rad.jpg  
Old 27 Jan 2003, 08:44 (Ref:487159)   #17
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Jeremy, what is Rad up to these days? It was a bit of a South African invasion in FF in those days wasn't it! Rory Byrne came over with Roy Klomfass, then we had the likes of Rad, Kenny Gray, Trevor Van Rooyen, Geoff Smailes - they all tended to race Royale's yet the South Americans mostly raced for Van Diemen.
Old 27 Jan 2003, 08:46 (Ref:487160)   #18
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Not Silverstone I know but here is the Pat Symonds designed Royale RP27 of Thierry Tassin on the Donington grid in '79.
Pat is standing at the rear of the car.
Attached Thumbnails
dp78-rp27-pat.jpg  
Old 27 Jan 2003, 08:49 (Ref:487162)   #19
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Again away from Silverstone briefly for a shot of you Jeremy leading Mike Taylor in Sports 2000 at Brands in '82.
Attached Thumbnails
bh82-s2000-1.jpg  
Old 27 Jan 2003, 08:51 (Ref:487167)   #20
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Back to Silverstone. The late Hon. Pat Lindsay doing a 'Fangio' in his Maserati 250F in 1969.
Attached Thumbnails
sv69-250f-lindsay.jpg  
Old 27 Jan 2003, 10:59 (Ref:487230)   #21
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Looking at Andrew's picture of Tassin in the prototype RP27 I'm struck by memories of how good a formula FF2000 was, and how many really attractive cars it produced [leaving aside the Reynard SF80!]. The Deltas were beautiful little cars [designer one P.Head, I believe]. It's a shame that what could have been a good clubman's formula, that also allowed under-funded professionals to progress was so ill-managed. [Remember that Ralph Firman gave Senna a FF2000 drive when he couldn't go F3 in '82.] Back in the days when Jeremy Rossiter and Rad Dougall were all conquering, the fields were huge.
Old 27 Jan 2003, 11:09 (Ref:487235)   #22
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Chris, I agree - it was a great Formula with many different chassis constructors, unlike the bland equivalent, F.Renault today.
There were some very quick drivers apart from Senna, Rad and Jeremy, Ian Taylor, Syd Fox,Tim Davies, Richard Trott, Martin Brundle, Martin Donnelly, even Damon started in the formula. Could go on forever! Do you remember the BBC Grandstand Trophy when the entire FF2000 winter series was shown from Brands?
Old 27 Jan 2003, 12:02 (Ref:487260)   #23
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Andrew, Tim Davies was my first instructor at BHR, a thoroughly nice guy and a hard racer. You're right about that list of quick guys: I think Russell Spence was the only one to beat Senna in a straight fight in '82, and of course there was J.J.Lehto, but by that time the formula was dying on its feet. Too many vested interests in promoting fractionally different series and not enough consideration for either drivers or spectators: the story of British club racing since the late '70s.
That winter series at Brands was good because it allowed young drivers who'd done well in FF1600 to put themselves in the shop-window for a move up the following year, without having to lay out vast amounts of money.
Old 27 Jan 2003, 21:33 (Ref:487720)   #24
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Andrew, thinking about your division of S.Africans in Royales and S.Americans in Van Diemens led me to this list: Chico Serra; Roberto Guerrero; Carlos Abdala; Bolivar di Sordi; Enrique Mansilla; Roberto Moreno [started in a Royale though!]; Mauricio Gugelmin; Raoul Boesel; Ayrton Senna; Luis Schafer; Fernando Ribiero [now there was a man who knew how to use the Silverstone pit exit, and his left foot in the corners]. All Van Diemen drivers. Anyone care to add to the list? [Though this is probably the wrong thread] A frightening number of those guys made it into F1. The only non Van Diemen chap I remember, who was any good, was Poncho Toledano who drove for PRS.
Old 28 Jan 2003, 19:34 (Ref:488625)   #25
Barry Pomfret
Racer

Barry Pomfret should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can vividly remember the younger Ribiero (there were two brothers) having a very nasty off track incident one hot summers day at Silverstone. At the time I was working with Geoff Creber (Nomad Formula Ford), we were in a small unit which has now been demolished, next door Eddie Jordan ran his F3 car and Ribiero was running his Jesus Saves car in a larger unit a few yards away. He had been welding and decided to cool the item down but accidently placed it into the paraffin wash instead of water, a huge sheet of flame engulfed Ribiero badly burning his hands ,face and chest Fortunately Geoff Crebers wife was at our unit, she worked as a nurse at the Stoke Mandeville Burns Unit and administered first aid. I believe he raced the following weekend with bandaged hands.