Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 12 Jan 2004, 21:51 (Ref:835930)   #1
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
FIA GT: Maserati testing - Fiorano

Just found out today that Maserati have been testing their new Maserati GT car that will contest selected rounds of the FIA GT championship this year (Probably Spa 24hrs being one) Andrea Bertolini was at the wheel today and put in a few laps, although no times were recorded. Testing will continue tommorow. http://www.maserati.com/jsp/introSot...ceegdgimdfmg.0

Sounds like the Maserati is coming along nicely! I wonder will Bertolini be one of the Factory Maserati drivers? Hes a great driver and is probably on the Maserati short list, the question is who will partner him and who will piolt the 2nd car? If there is a 2nd car.

Last edited by SALEEN S7R; 12 Jan 2004 at 21:53.
Old 12 Jan 2004, 21:56 (Ref:835935)   #2
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good surprise ! Very beautiful car. It looks a bit like the Nissan.
Old 12 Jan 2004, 21:59 (Ref:835937)   #3
Duffacus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
Duffacus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think from the cockpit onwards it looks a bit like a DP

Brundle: Didn’t see too many in practice
Old 12 Jan 2004, 21:59 (Ref:835938)   #4
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I saw the picture over on DSC earlier this evening, and I have to say it looks stunning.
Old 12 Jan 2004, 22:00 (Ref:835940)   #5
RM40
Racer

RM40 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love it. Does it use the exact same engine as the Enzo, or is it tuned one way or another? I think it is what the Enzo should've been, those graceful curves. The road car is debuting at Geneva in March, they said. I reall, really, like it. I just hope it doesn't flop at the first race like the Lambo R-GT.

Also, in a JMB article I read they were getting the first customer car and would be racing it as soon as possible. That is good news.

:up:
Old 12 Jan 2004, 22:01 (Ref:835942)   #6
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think it's nicer than the Enzo.
Old 12 Jan 2004, 22:10 (Ref:835949)   #7
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Amazing looking car. Reminds me of the GT1 days.
Old 12 Jan 2004, 22:11 (Ref:835951)   #8
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thats what we are getting back towards now though Jhansen, the GT1 days when the cars really were GT1 days, not F1 cars with lids on. Now hopefully Ratel and the FIA and ACO can make the GTS class work, unlike with the GT1 class.
Old 12 Jan 2004, 22:11 (Ref:835952)   #9
Duffacus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
Duffacus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry but i'm going with the Enzo.

Brundle: Didn’t see too many in practice
Old 12 Jan 2004, 23:11 (Ref:836012)   #10
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Saleen: I'm a big fan of the old GT1 cars. The Mercedes CLK and the Porsche GT1 were quick with looks to match! But are you saying the current GTS class is similar to the old GT1 class? Because I certainly do not see it that way at all. The old GT1 cars were fast, and the current GTS cars, well are not as fast.
Old 12 Jan 2004, 23:20 (Ref:836017)   #11
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
The GTS cars are already faster than some of the old GT1 class cars Jhansen, and with the new breed of cars coming in within the next 2 years such as the Carrera GT, Maserati GT and Lambourgini Murcielago, I think that for 2005 if Maserati have a well sorted car we could see them doing times of 3:43-3:46 - this year I think the current cars such as the Ferrari 575s and Saleen S7Rs could dip into the low 3:49s.
Old 12 Jan 2004, 23:36 (Ref:836031)   #12
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
I found the following times from Le Mans:

1998-Toyota GTOne-3:36.552
1998-Mercedes CLK-3:35.544
1998-Porsche GT1-3:38.084
1999-Toyota GTOne-3:29.930
1999-Mercedes CLR-3:31.541

2001-Saleen S7R-3:52.849
2002-Ferrari 550-3:54.091
2002-Ferrari 550-3:53.278

Pretty big gap there.
Old 12 Jan 2004, 23:53 (Ref:836039)   #13
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Hmmmm... line crossed
Old 12 Jan 2004, 23:54 (Ref:836040)   #14
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Im not debating that there is a pretty big gap in lap times, especially from the top GT1 cars to the top GTS cars, but cars like the Panoz GT1 arent very much faster than the Care Racing Ferrari 550s, as was shown in the LM 1000KM, when the new Maserati makes its debut I woudnt be suprised if its signifcantly faster than the Panoz, and Id expect to see a few more cars faster than the Panoz too, such as the Ferrari 575. If the new section of the track wasnt there now the GTS cars would be faster than some of the GT1 cars, like the Mclaren F1 and near the pace of cars like the Nissan R390 which set a 3:45.298 in LM 1998.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 00:00 (Ref:836043)   #15
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Also Jhansen a few more other times from GT1 in 1998.

1998 #44 Panoz GT1 3:44.602
1998 #41 Mclaren F1 GTR 3:50.566
1998 #40 Mclaren F1 GTR 3:50.863

Now if the new section at LM wasnt there the GTS cars would be going much faster now than they are, perhaps even 3:48s. The GTS class is on the way up, and the ACO's stance on the regulations is showing this.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 01:25 (Ref:836087)   #16
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
If we look back in sports car racing hasn't there always been an overlap, or close to it between classes. Take for instance GT and GTS.

LeMans 2003
Bottom GTS: Chrysler Vyper GTSR, 4:04.822
Top GT: Porsche 911 GT3, 4:06.984

LeMans 2002
Bottom GTS: Saleen S7R, 4:08.549
Top GT: Porsche 911 GT3, 4:10.803

Only two seconds difference from bottom GTS and top GT. There will always be a gap between the top and bottom of each class. This also allows the next class down to compete with the tail end of the higher up class. That is why we see some GTS cars place higher than the prototypes in the race, and some GT cars place higher than GTS cars in a race. I'm not following your logic here. Perhaps you could better explain it please.

Fogelhund: I'm not trying to cross any lines or get in Saleen's face, just merely trying to understand his point.

Note to Mods: I'd gladly discuss this with Saleen in private, but he does not alow PM's and has not provided an email address for contact.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 01:33 (Ref:836094)   #17
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
jhansen, I apologize for the misunderstanding. I am not a moderator here, nor am I making comments to Saleens and yours valid conversation.

My line crossed was purely in reference to the car.

A beautiful stunning car no doubt, but it is not a GTS(2) car is it. It is a closet prototype. All the power if that is the direction that this is to take, but the line of road car turned into race (by some extreme means) vs. race car turned into road car for homologation has been whacked with a big stick. I wonder what the French will think of this one.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 01:40 (Ref:836097)   #18
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Sorry for the misunderstanding on your post Fogelhund.

Cheers
Old 13 Jan 2004, 04:25 (Ref:836194)   #19
Patrick B
Racer

Canada
Canada
Patrick B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought this car was going to run as a GTP? Since no road versions are built how can it be a GTS? Or is the ACO bending the rules again...

Last edited by Patrick B; 13 Jan 2004 at 04:26.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 06:48 (Ref:836255)   #20
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Re: FIA GT: Maserati testing - Fiorano

Quote:
Originally posted by SALEEN S7R
Just found out today that Maserati have been testing their new Maserati GT car that will contest selected rounds of the FIA GT championship this year
A great great car IMHO... can't wait to see it ! But it looks more like a GT of the late 90' at LM, as suggested Pascal above... Nissan and the others... wonderful car.

Quote:
Originally posted by jhansen
Amazing looking car. Reminds me of the GT1 days.
Definitely !

Any hope to see it enter in LMES or LM one day ? It should, definitely !

As the link SaleenS7R gives seems dead this morning, you could find the pic on Vandijk's site, if you wish, or La Gazetta dello Sporto too...

Last edited by Fab; 13 Jan 2004 at 07:35.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 06:53 (Ref:836260)   #21
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by jhansen
Saleen: I'm a big fan of the old GT1 cars. The Mercedes CLK and the Porsche GT1 were quick with looks to match! But are you saying the current GTS class is similar to the old GT1 class? Because I certainly do not see it that way at all. The old GT1 cars were fast, and the current GTS cars, well are not as fast.
Quote:
Originally posted by Fogelhund
I wonder what the French will think of this one.
It seems that ACO would like to pull up the GT(s) cars to a top category, in the "prototypes" spirit : prototypes with roofs. This kind of cars may be the "link" between the present GTS category and the "supercars" category to come, as mentionned Daniel Poissenot (Le Mans race director) in the last Le Mans racing issue...

Quote:
Originally posted by Patrick B
Since no road versions are built how can it be a GTS? Or is the ACO bending the rules again...
Actually, Daniel Poissenot said that the things are not done yet, and that the actual rules are done to evolve and be improved. yes, the ACO's rules are moving. But as long as it's done to aloow more fantastic cars to enter, I can't see any problem.

Last edited by Fab; 13 Jan 2004 at 06:58.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 07:11 (Ref:836271)   #22
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
http://www.fotango.com/p/eba00404809f00000001.jpg[/URL] This should provide a link to the picture. It is a stunning thing, but it does appear to be moving the goalposts in GTS and could surely bring the GTS class closer to LMP1 in the future.

Last edited by Mal; 13 Jan 2004 at 07:13.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 08:04 (Ref:836289)   #23
Wout
Racer

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Wout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
high resolution picture at the maserati website: here
Old 13 Jan 2004, 09:18 (Ref:836356)   #24
Wout
Racer

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Wout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Patrick B
I thought this car was going to run as a GTP? Since no road versions are built how can it be a GTS? Or is the ACO bending the rules again...
There will be a road going version: the MCS (article)
It was always said that Maserati would return with a GT(S). To be honest I was hoping that the would look like the car that was shown at this forum a few months ago (here)
Attached Thumbnails
maserati gt racer small.jpg  
Old 13 Jan 2004, 09:59 (Ref:836384)   #25
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Thank you Wout, the pic is just great !