Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Mar 2006, 19:39 (Ref:1549731)   #1
waz29
Rookie

United Kingdom
UK
waz29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is F1 GP any better?

So with the changes is F1 GP any better for it, or is it still just roundy roundy over tech cars, and races won or lost on a pit stop. Is A1 GP going to take the lime light over the next few years as lets face it - they race, and there is more action in 1 A1 race than in half a season of F1.
I used to be an F1 fan but the more i watch A1 the better it gets.
Any one else 'seeing the light?' or why are you sticking with F1?
Old 15 Mar 2006, 19:42 (Ref:1549734)   #2
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personally given a choice of F1 or A1 I'd generally choose neither! There are much better forms of motorsport in my view. However that's another story.

I think it's maybe too early to say if F1 is any better this year. Bahrain was fairly entertaining, but from time to time we do get the odd race that is better than others, and at the same time it was the first race of the year. I'd say wait until round 4 or 5 before making such judgements.

The signs for F1 are good, though...
Old 15 Mar 2006, 19:46 (Ref:1549737)   #3
waz29
Rookie

United Kingdom
UK
what! i'll have to stay awake that long
Old 15 Mar 2006, 19:50 (Ref:1549740)   #4
Bluewolf
Racer

United States
Woodland Hills California
Bluewolf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I love F1 but A1 GP I think has a built in advantage and that is accessing peoples nationalism. Instead of just rooting for a driver you can root for your country -- If next year France doesn't have the series by the throat and it's anyones game, its going to be really exciting -- One thing though -- The A1 cars look a bit too short to me - does anyone have the tech specs on those machines???
Old 15 Mar 2006, 19:52 (Ref:1549741)   #5
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Well, If the Bahrain GP is anything to go by, its a massive improvement on last year! We have overtaking, not just Kimi coming from the back of the grid, like normal! 4 Teams in with a shout of winning races and privateer teams being able to put on over the works boys. (Williams and RBR vs BMW and Toyota)
Old 15 Mar 2006, 21:17 (Ref:1549817)   #6
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewolf
I love F1 but A1 GP I think has a built in advantage and that is accessing peoples nationalism.
That's the one thing I've never been able to buy into where A1 is concerned. It's a novel idea, but the whole thing seems a little forced too me.

Look around any racing grandstand and there are national flags flying all over the place, fans have always gravitated towards their national heroes and teams within motorsport (just look at how fanatical the Dutch are) so I don't think A1's selling point has really added much to the sport as a whole.

I like A1, but I still find F1 more entertaining as the driving standards are higher and there's generally a lot more to absorb over a race distance.
Old 15 Mar 2006, 22:50 (Ref:1549900)   #7
Matski
Racer

Matski has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I don't think A1 and F1 are comparable really. A1 is closer because the cars are virtually identical. That gives for closer racing. But a big part of F1, whether Mosely likes it or not, is TECHNOLOGY - half the competition is about who can build the best car, and thats what I love about F1.

It's always better when you've got someone to cheer on, in any sport, so I think following your own nation is great. I'm a BMW man through and through - If they've got a car in it, I'll support them at it! When I watch NASCAR I always support the number 6 car, whoever it may be... just so I've got someone to cheer on through out the race (why 6? 'cos my cars on old BMW 6 series!)
So, after waiting 20 minutes for him to come out of the back of the garage, Matski asks "Are you going to get Jacques' seat then?" Robert replies "ha ha, I don't know!", signs Matksi's cap, and retreats to his motorhome.
Old 15 Mar 2006, 23:10 (Ref:1549912)   #8
ggreen29
Racer

ggreen29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't we still have the problem of most passes occuring during pit stops? For example, once Kimi passed all the junior varsity runners, didn't he progress primarily as other pitted?
Old 15 Mar 2006, 23:48 (Ref:1549930)   #9
MRJUCY
Veteran

Australia
At the pub
MRJUCY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 will always be bigger then A1, one make series aren't as captivating really & people want to see the best drivers & teams not has beens & kids looking for a stepping stone. Don't get me wrong tho I do like A1 & hope it all the best that's just how I see it.
Old 16 Mar 2006, 00:05 (Ref:1549941)   #10
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I watch both as both have teams that i root for....keeps me occupied all year round
Old 16 Mar 2006, 12:12 (Ref:1550189)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As it stands A1 may have a lot of action, but F1 has far more prestige and talent invovled in it - not only the drivers, but the behind the scenes people.
Old 16 Mar 2006, 13:32 (Ref:1550231)   #12
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You know, in the end motor racing, as a whole, doesn't have that much passing...
All series have great races and sleepers...
Old 16 Mar 2006, 14:15 (Ref:1550246)   #13
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personally I like both F1 and A1 GP, both series offer differnt things. A1 GP is more for the racing fans as you generally get wheel to wheel action and the best driver normally wins, the cars and the teams are not such a big factor as it is with Formula One. Formula One however is the pinnacle of motorsport in terms of racing car technology and speed and whilst the racing isnt quite as close generally speaking as it is in other series when you do get good close racing in F1 nothing tops it. IMO.

That said, neither series are my favourite single seater series for varying reasons. GP2 is my personal favourite, the cars are faster than those of A1 GP by around 6 seconds a lap now that the cars have been upgraded and they are racing on slicks and the racing I think will be just as close as last year, the A1 cars are a little on the slow side for my taste but GP2 cars are a fair bit faster and the racing is still as close as what you get in A1 GP. GP2 also has the advantage of racing on what IMO is generally better circuits. F1 isnt my personal favourite purley down to the lack of overtaking, if the closeness of the racing ever gets back to how it was in say the mid to late 90s however my opinion may well change.
Old 16 Mar 2006, 14:45 (Ref:1550259)   #14
waz29
Rookie

United Kingdom
UK
Thanks Guys, there have been some interesting posts there, I'm Glad everyone took it how it was meant and not as an 'attack' on F1 GP.
I think this weekends will have more of an attraction as it the biggest race factor may get to play a part the 'weather'.
Old 16 Mar 2006, 15:16 (Ref:1550276)   #15
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by waz29
they race, and there is more action in 1 A1 race than in half a season of F1.

Although i enjoy A1, the reason for so much excitement is because it's, at times, very amaturish (sp??).

The signs from Bahrain is that it's still exciting.
Old 16 Mar 2006, 15:35 (Ref:1550293)   #16
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
F1 & A1 are completely different things, I don't agree in comparing them, however....

F1 has history. A1 doesn't, yet. The technology in F1 is completely different to A1 - F1 is constantly pushing and striving forward with new and novel ideas whereas A1 is using an older chassis - I'm not saying they're not trying to improve, but it is slightly different.

The concept of racing is different - there's been many discussions recently but F1 is more or less about who's quickest over one race distance - A1 obviously has the two races, the sprint and the feature race - which is a different concept to F1. They also have the boost button which brings in a slightly different tactical element.

In terms of lasting, F1 obviously has this little bit of who-ha over the Concorde agreement. Personally now, I don't see A1 lasting. From a marketing and PR point of view A1GP is a great idea - pitting country against country is going to get fans of each country backing their team (in most cases). F1 isn't like that. Merchandise and things makes a lot of money for both series, A1 may have an advantage to appealing to nationalities, but F1 has the history and pedigree behind it and the constructors.

Personally, if I had to choose? F1, though the costs of seeing A1GP is cheaper.
Old 16 Mar 2006, 15:53 (Ref:1550307)   #17
curveball
Racer

United States
Michigan
curveball should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Overall, I thought the first race this year was more exciting (in terms of the whole weekend) than anything last year. I still have issues with certain things, but for me, its better.
Old 16 Mar 2006, 21:18 (Ref:1550571)   #18
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
By the way... Kimi just overtook about four cars (not counting pit stops and retirements), according to lap chart. If in this extreme case of one of the fastest drivers/cars starting last and arriving in 3rd he just pass 4 cars in 57 laps (a rate of about 1 car every 22 mins!) then there is a problem somewhere in terms of show.

The problem, IMO, is not the lack of passing in itself, but the lack of likely possibility of passing between comparable cars. Last year's Imola was (for me) a pitiful demo of this principle. Alonso did well but in fact Ferrari's pace was vastly faster. Another supposedly "classic" was Senna-Mansell "fight" in Monaco'92 (I think). Ayrton just blocked Nigel, he was completely slower than that "magic" Williams, in my eyes NM was just "robbed" of that win just by F1 lack of realistic opportunity of overtaking in Monaco.

We have watched some GPs where two drivers "fight" for the lead. Most of time both of drivers go just in train formation (Bahrain) without any realistic attemtp to overtake yet people get excited about it and claim it was a great race I suppose if they watch a MotoGP or Touring Car race the will get an infart

Year ago, in its golden time, CART was like a dream for me. Sometimes not much overtaking happened, but one was excited because you knew passing other car was likely. The same for MotoGP ot WTC and others.

In the last year, though, I felt F1 was better as a show. F1 has been almost always close in terms of pace, actually closer than most of other racing forms, but it is not enough. Lately the lack of a dominant car has done well (as always in F1). They have to ban the best car every season!
Old 16 Mar 2006, 23:23 (Ref:1550649)   #19
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schummy
Another supposedly "classic" was Senna-Mansell "fight" in Monaco'92 (I think). Ayrton just blocked Nigel, he was completely slower than that "magic" Williams, in my eyes NM was just "robbed" of that win just by F1 lack of realistic opportunity of overtaking in Monaco.
I remember watching that live, I could barely take my eyes off the screen!

Yes I was really disappointed afterwards that Mansell was seemingly robbed, but I was too young to appreciate how well Senna played that situation. Nowadays I can look back a see what a good bit of defensive driving it was by Senna to keep the lead for those last few laps.

I guess its easy to look back and think that there was more overtaking years ago than there is today, but I'm not really that sure. What I can remember is that the real fun used to start when they we're overtaking packs of 2 or 3 Back-markers, which is somewhat spoiled today by Draconian blue flag rules.
Old 16 Mar 2006, 23:35 (Ref:1550660)   #20
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There's an Alesi / Senna one too from Phoenix, USA GP, don't remember the year - personally I thought that was great.

It's completely different to A1. There's not that pedigree, that history, and there never will be - in comparison.
Old 17 Mar 2006, 11:14 (Ref:1550978)   #21
Smurfer
Racer

Australia
Smurfer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought the qualifying and race were much better. Has upped my interest again.
Old 17 Mar 2006, 19:24 (Ref:1551379)   #22
Matski
Racer

Matski has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I believe that if you are in a faster car and you want to overtake - you can.

You can force the car in front (or behind) into errors, or just have a good ole' dive up the inside.

The driver wants to finish the race, and is prepated to settle for lower position
vs.
The spectator wanting to see a good race!

the problem isn't the format.. it's the drivers. I know thats an arrogant thing to say - but look at A1, the drivers are prepared to have bit of a stab, maybe they get it wrong, but it's better to watch.
So, after waiting 20 minutes for him to come out of the back of the garage, Matski asks "Are you going to get Jacques' seat then?" Robert replies "ha ha, I don't know!", signs Matksi's cap, and retreats to his motorhome.
Old 17 Mar 2006, 20:34 (Ref:1551437)   #23
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
Personally I like both F1 and A1 GP, both series offer differnt things. A1 GP is more for the racing fans as you generally get wheel to wheel action and the best driver normally wins, the cars and the teams are not such a big factor as it is with Formula One. Formula One however is the pinnacle of motorsport in terms of racing car technology and speed and whilst the racing isnt quite as close generally speaking as it is in other series when you do get good close racing in F1 nothing tops it. IMO.

That said, neither series are my favourite single seater series for varying reasons. GP2 is my personal favourite, the cars are faster than those of A1 GP by around 6 seconds a lap now that the cars have been upgraded and they are racing on slicks and the racing I think will be just as close as last year, the A1 cars are a little on the slow side for my taste but GP2 cars are a fair bit faster and the racing is still as close as what you get in A1 GP. GP2 also has the advantage of racing on what IMO is generally better circuits. F1 isnt my personal favourite purley down to the lack of overtaking, if the closeness of the racing ever gets back to how it was in say the mid to late 90s however my opinion may well change.
Over here in NA, the A1 series gets no coverage whatsoever and GP2, well ... Sunday morning usually well before dawn. Of what I've seen of GP2, it is quite entertaining. And by the sounds of it, A1 can be exciting as well. I'd like to catch some of it.

As for F1, probably the best thing for it would be for A1 to gain popularity to the point where the powers to be in F1 feel a change is a necessity to keep fans attention and for the health of the sport. In particular new fans. F1 has been slow to respond to concerns, highlighted by gargantuan team budgets and lack of overtaking on the grid. Baby steps have been taken, where large strides are necessary, imho.
Old 18 Mar 2006, 04:43 (Ref:1551651)   #24
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
I think I agree with Kirk's view about F1 (spectators) profitting from A1's eventual success.

One thing I regret (with current FIA) is the lack the any global alternative to F1 (in circuit racing). Sport-prototype racing was in 70s and 80s a serious branch of top motorsport, today emphatically it is not. The only residue that remains is a gem: 24h of Le Mans with tons of spectators and big budget from some heavy makers.

Touring Car is coming back again but I suspect it will not be allowed a lot of wind to compete in the market of F1 (conspiranoia?)

Even F2 (GP2) could be a valid competition for F1 but not now where is just a pet formula controlled by F1 powers (lol, it is the opposite to "competition", isn't it?). By the moment GP2 is entertaining, but it will never be allowed to threat F1.

Without alternative, F1 live in a sort of niche (factual monopoly of top level global car racing), but if things go bad and they don't react fast enough, then the crash can be really big. Luckily GPs looks more entertaining lately, but I don't know if this is a pattern of a fluke.
Old 18 Mar 2006, 08:40 (Ref:1551701)   #25
CamF1
Rookie

CamF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski
the problem isn't the format.. it's the drivers. I know thats an arrogant thing to say - but look at A1, the drivers are prepared to have bit of a stab, maybe they get it wrong, but it's better to watch.
We can blame the FIA, Bernie, the drivers or 'F1' but at the end of the day we are partly responsible for F1 being what it is.