Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Closed Thread

Old 7 Mar 2009, 11:51 (Ref:2410935)   #26
PenguinPunch
Rookie

PenguinPunch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or maybe with some of the old Oz Boss competitors (http://www.amrs.net.au/ozbossphoto.htm) - just to get the numbers up a little for the year.

It would seem such a shame for this category to die now.

I'm a bit worried that if it does this year, we won't see it back for a long while - and that won't be good for Australian motorsport...
Old 7 Mar 2009, 11:58 (Ref:2410942)   #27
Mak
Veteran

Mak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BRM----Joey Foster. that a big one..
Old 7 Mar 2009, 12:03 (Ref:2410944)   #28
Mak
Veteran

Theres another chance for up and coming Australian drivers to pit themselves against a top Brit driver without having to spend a fortune that racing in UK F3 costs.
Old 7 Mar 2009, 12:28 (Ref:2410957)   #29
PenguinPunch
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak View Post
Ah that'll be good if it comes off. He's not a bad steerer.

I remember watching him in Formula Ford back in about 2000 or 2001. He was quite good - but must be about 27 or 28 now.
Old 8 Mar 2009, 01:30 (Ref:2411299)   #30
Scott Moyse
Racer

England
Whangarei, New Zealand
Scott Moyse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
how did you find that out Mak?
Old 8 Mar 2009, 01:32 (Ref:2411300)   #31
Scott Moyse
Racer

England
Whangarei, New Zealand
n he is 27 this year. Lost a year due to his massive accident in German F3, he made Nico Hulkenburg look like mr Bean in his mini. And also showed up Ho pin tung periodically only got beaten by him when joey either got taken out or somethign broke on the car.
Old 8 Mar 2009, 03:14 (Ref:2411335)   #32
PenguinPunch
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Moyse View Post
n he is 27 this year.
Ah ok. 27 is a bit old for F3 - but if you have the talent you'll come through.

The past 5 or 6 class champions in aussie f3 must of been in their 40's, 50's or 60's when they won - so I guess age doesn't really matter.
Old 8 Mar 2009, 09:04 (Ref:2411427)   #33
Mak
Veteran

"The past 5 or 6 class champions in aussie f3 must of been in their 40's, 50's or 60's when they won - so I guess age doesn't really matter."

All been under 26??????? Rindler, Carratti, Clucas, Macrow and Winslow......
Old 8 Mar 2009, 10:00 (Ref:2411462)   #34
Scott Moyse
Racer

England
Whangarei, New Zealand
Quote:
so just wondering how you found that out? because i haven't seen anythign on the net.
Old 8 Mar 2009, 10:05 (Ref:2411465)   #35
lauder
Rookie

lauder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He is 26 year now. Miss nearly two years after breaking back and neck at Lausitz.
Old 9 Mar 2009, 03:36 (Ref:2411799)   #36
PenguinPunch
Rookie

I just had a look at his web site. It looks like he's been up to a lot since I last saw him in his formula ford!

http://www.joeyfoster.co.uk/profile

Looking at the current entry list, he will dominate Aussie F3 this year.

Maybe even more dominate than what Ben Clucas did a few years ago!
Old 9 Mar 2009, 03:43 (Ref:2411801)   #37
PenguinPunch
Rookie

Quote:
"The past 5 or 6 class champions in aussie f3 must of been in their 40's, 50's or 60's when they won - so I guess age doesn't really matter."

All been under 26??????? Rindler, Carratti, Clucas, Macrow and Winslow......
I was meaning Andrew Mill, Rod Anderson, Graeme Holmes, Bill Maddocks, etc

They aren't spring chickens (I think they're all in the 40's 50' or 60's - and no disrespect i'm in my 40's myself!), but have shown to be very competitive in Aussie F3. Winning their respective championships.
Old 9 Mar 2009, 10:48 (Ref:2412016)   #38
Mak
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinPunch View Post
I just had a look at his web site. It looks like he's been up to a lot since I last saw him in his formula ford!

http://www.joeyfoster.co.uk/profile

Looking at the current entry list, he will dominate Aussie F3 this year.

Maybe even more dominate than what Ben Clucas did a few years ago!
Not sure how you can dominate more than BEN when he won every race bar one, due to mech problem when leading. I think he will be equally dominant.

"Andrew Mill, Rod Anderson, Graeme Holmes, Bill Maddocks, " were trophy class winners which in no way could be seen as a competetive class, with normally only a couple of entries and no where near the main class pace or the pace of there cars in there day. IMO and nothing against these people who have support F3 greatly, I would prefer these driver competeing in club races. Contraversial I know especially considering the apparent low entries, but it only lowers the profile of this very good F3 series.
Old 9 Mar 2009, 12:11 (Ref:2412085)   #39
PenguinPunch
Rookie

Yes Ben was very very dominate.

I didn't realise he won every race, except when the car broke down...

It's a shame he didn't get noticed by the v8 teams. It would have been interesting to see how he would have gone.
Old 9 Mar 2009, 12:41 (Ref:2412107)   #40
PenguinPunch
Rookie

Quote:
"Andrew Mill, Rod Anderson, Graeme Holmes, Bill Maddocks, " were trophy class winners which in no way could be seen as a competetive class, with normally only a couple of entries and no where near the main class pace or the pace of there cars in there day. IMO and nothing against these people who have support F3 greatly, I would prefer these driver competeing in club races. Contraversial I know especially considering the apparent low entries, but it only lowers the profile of this very good F3 series.
With only 5 days until race week - and only 6 cars confirmed. I think the category needs more drivers like this.

I've come up with an example of how the entry list could look like if the category was opened up to other classes (just for this year to ensure the category doesn't die off).

Unofficial 2009 Australian Formula Three Championship Entry List

Championship Class
Mathew Sofi Dallara F307 Astuti Motorsport
Sho Hanawa Dallara F307 Team BRM
Joey Foster Dallara F307 Team BRM
Ben Crighton Dallara F307 TanderSport

National Class
Jesse Wakeman Dallara F304 R-Tek
Tom Tweedie Dallara F304 Ralt Australia

Robertson Class
Robert Choon Dallara F395
Alexander Kenny Mallock MK31
Barry Elbourn Dallara 399
Greg Muddle Ralt RT30
Neville Christian Reynard 90F
Anton Aalders Alders GCR01
Robert Sviderskas Sirch 932
George Davis Prosport Pentium
Francois Jouy Prosport Mulsanne LM
Terry Robertson Dallara 395

OzBoss Class
Ty Hanger Reynard 95D
Chris Farrell Swift 014 2001
Matthew Fox Reynard 92D
Warwick Robertson Cheetah 1980 MK7
Bob Reischl Ralt RT23 1992
Jon Mills Cheetah MK8
Glenn Lynch Sirch 297
Andrew Elboum Cheetah 1980 MK7

I know that some of these car are getting a bit old and don't really fit in with what Formula 3 should be. But what is the point of beating only 5 other cars? Not satifying for the drivers, teams or spectators....

Once the crisis is over - go back to 'business as usual'.
Old 9 Mar 2009, 13:47 (Ref:2412183)   #41
Richard Craill
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Richard Craill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi everyone,

Thought I'd jump in here in order to clarify a couple of things:

There are more than six cars confirmed for Clipsal. At this stage the list looks something like this:

BRM 07 - Joey Foster
BRM 07 - Mathew Radisich
Goddard 07 - Sho Hanawa
TanderSport 07 - Ben Crighton
Astuti 07 - Mat Sofi
Scud 07 - TBA (Awaiting confirmation of driver)
R-Tek 04 - Jesse Wakeman
Ralt 04 - Tom Tweedie
Astuti 04 - Ray Chamberlain
GKH 04 - Graeme Holmes
All Properties Group 04 - Chris Gilmour
TBA - Andrew Mill
Piccola Scuderia 07 – TBA
TanderSport 04 – TBA
Astuti 04 - TBA

Add to that the possibility of a third BRM F307 and all of a sudden you have a field - and a pretty racy one at that. Most of the F304s are of a very high quality and the F307s should be very evenly matched.

Let me also say that there has been no discussion whatsoever about combining grids with other categories or open wheel classes for Clipsal or other events. The F3A Board has purposely budgeted very conservatively this season in anticipation of a 'challenging' season and following a reduction in sponsorship from Kumho Tyres - but certainly we are not the only ones feeling the pinch.

It should also be noted that Kumho have continued to have strong faith in the series by agreeing to return as tyre supplier and as a financial sponsor this season - their 5th consecutive year.

Optimism has also been forthcoming thanks to the addition of Meguiar's as a series sponsor. Another sponsor / provider is set to be announced this week.
The competition will remain strong thanks to the efforts of our teams that have committed this year in securing excellent drivers and competitive programs.

Fields will be further boosted later in the season at the NSW and Victorian Rounds as efforts have been made to entice local car owner / drivers out to the circuit.

I know of several drivers (note the lack of 2001-spec cars on the Clipsal entry list, for instance) that have elected to not race at Clipsal due to the proximity of the walls yet will race later in the year.

If the championship can average between 13 - 15 cars this year (And remember it has survived on less in the past - anyone remember 2004 after the Procar demise?) it will be a great achievement given the struggles experienced elsewhere within the sport. Certainly this number looks about on the money.

Those, my friends, are the facts. The series is not going anywhere and has a solid foundation to get though this season and continue to build. Certainly our profile overseas continues to grow and the addition of Joey Foster – a potential champion in German F3 before his crash – is a testament to that.

Instead of prophesising about doom and gloom, let’s talk up the fact that for the third season in a row there is every chance that we’re going to have another enthralling championship battle between very good drivers and teams.

Cheers to all and hope to see many of you at the 500 next week.. A sensational event in a great city (Now with full Torrens Lake!!) and a great way to kick things off for '09.

Richard Craill – F3A.
Old 9 Mar 2009, 16:09 (Ref:2412283)   #42
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
The only question now is whether Joey Foster can win the title as convincingly as Ben Clucas did a couple of years ago.
Old 9 Mar 2009, 21:48 (Ref:2412546)   #43
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
6 championship cars, Jap F3 has 7 i think - why has Goddard only 1 car, he had a few in Asian F3....
Old 9 Mar 2009, 22:15 (Ref:2412570)   #44
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinPunch View Post
Yes Ben was very very dominate.

I didn't realise he won every race, except when the car broke down...

It's a shame he didn't get noticed by the v8 teams. It would have been interesting to see how he would have gone.
Mr Clucas got a test in an FPR car and a PMM one.

Story goes that the FPR chassis met the fence while he was at the wheel.

Game Over!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 9 Mar 2009, 22:20 (Ref:2412576)   #45
Mak
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Mr Clucas got a test in an FPR car and a PMM one.

Story goes that the FPR chassis met the fence while he was at the wheel.

Game Over!

I heard a different story from top FPR man that he was given a short stint at the end of the day (after waiting all day), and did not crash, although did have an excursion throught the gravel trap.
Old 9 Mar 2009, 22:26 (Ref:2412583)   #46
Mak
Veteran

At any rate he was never given a proper crack at it, and all you can say is that he has won in everything he has ever raced and has some pretty good race credentials. Ask anyone who has seen him race or has worked with him. I'm sure he still would like a proper run, having raced in GT's for the past 2 years.
Old 9 Mar 2009, 22:37 (Ref:2412590)   #47
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
At any rate he was never given a proper crack at it, and all you can say is that he has won in everything he has ever raced and has some pretty good race credentials. Ask anyone who has seen him race or has worked with him. I'm sure he still would like a proper run, having raced in GT's for the past 2 years.
Agreed. I don't think it's fair to judge a driver based on tossing him in at the end of a test day for a few laps in a car he's never driven the likes of.
Old 10 Mar 2009, 01:22 (Ref:2412680)   #48
PenguinPunch
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
6 championship cars, Jap F3 has 7 i think - why has Goddard only 1 car, he had a few in Asian F3....
Yeah just not enough for a competitive championship (compared to Europe). Maybe they could combine the Aussie F3 championship with Asian F3. Didn't they do that last year at some events?

Although i'm having trouble finding up-to-date info on Asian F3 - have they gone bust too??
Old 10 Mar 2009, 01:27 (Ref:2412685)   #49
Scott Moyse
Racer

England
Whangarei, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Agreed. I don't think it's fair to judge a driver based on tossing him in at the end of a test day for a few laps in a car he's never driven the likes of.
Too much of that goes on in Motorsport! Its sad.
Also on another note, did you guys know joey and ben have raced together in the same series before so no doubt joey will have the bit between his teeth to make sure he wins all of them, with fastest lap & pole in all! I believe they were friendly with each other, but we all know racing drivers! Only stumbling block may be that clipsal will be joeys first street race in an open wheeler. I'm sure it will be fine since it can hardly be anymore intimidating than racing around the lausitzring in an F3 car or thrashing around a desert car pack in a kart in the on the outskirts of dubai!
Old 10 Mar 2009, 01:27 (Ref:2412686)   #50
PenguinPunch
Rookie

Quote:
Yeah I agree. Wasn't he a Toyota development driver too?

I'm surprised he wasn't given a proper crack at it. Would have thought the v8 teams would have been all over him.

Very strange....
Closed Thread

Tags
australian f3