Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 27 Feb 2007, 20:49 (Ref:1853204)   #1
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bad Fuel... (merged)

Hi guys the following was posted by a friend on another forum...just thought i'd give you a warning:

Quote:
Keep your fuel recipts people, there is a bad batch of fuel at the moment, not pinned down to a single station brand.

For example 7 cars booked in today for poor running, all turned out to be upstream O2 sensors getting nuked.
Confirmed by Renault back ordered O2 sensors.......none left!
Renault site in London confirmed also that up to 12 cars with O2 sensor faults were booked in too.

Not just Renault either (so no poopy comments about quality)

Main problem will be, once the O2 sensor is changed, tank still contains bad fuel (O2 sensor goes again), will need fuel to flush, so where do you go when the fuel is duff?

Prices will probably hike to offset loss, COOL!

Early warnings, so keep 'em peeled.
Old 28 Feb 2007, 18:38 (Ref:1853967)   #2
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thanks for that, its times like this im happy i have a 106 1.1 which sips fuel instead of drinking it.

any idea what petrol stations this is down to i.e BP, shell, texaco etc etc.

and which area if there is one?
Old 28 Feb 2007, 18:45 (Ref:1853972)   #3
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well initially they were saying it was Tescos and Morrisons in the south east but there are reports all over the country I think.

More can be found:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6405051.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6405701.stm
Old 28 Feb 2007, 19:44 (Ref:1854022)   #4
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
BBC News 24 at sixish were saying it was Tescos and Morrisons all over the country.
Old 28 Feb 2007, 20:08 (Ref:1854043)   #5
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well not much surprise brand wise, i would never put tesco and morrisons fuel in my car, only BP, shell, texaco or maybe total.
Old 28 Feb 2007, 20:11 (Ref:1854045)   #6
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
dj choc, do you think there is any difference between thse Tesco, Morrisons, BP, Shell or any other petrol, it all comes out the ground and ends up in one big tank at a distribution centre.
Old 28 Feb 2007, 20:18 (Ref:1854052)   #7
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Broadly speaking yes - talk to the fuel guys eg at ATL, the fuel cell people - places like Tescos put 10% ethanol in their fuel whereas places like BP etc don't.
Old 1 Mar 2007, 19:20 (Ref:1854839)   #8
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
Well I heard a report on the radio tonight that the think the contaminant might be silicone...
Old 1 Mar 2007, 19:22 (Ref:1854844)   #9
Suze
Veteran

England
The ethanol might not be causing theses problem now but they do do it anyway.

The last BBC report I saw said the affected retailers said they'd done their tests and they were coming up with nothing (including testing the tanks at distribution centres and affected people's cars) - who / where thinks it might be silicone then?
Old 1 Mar 2007, 19:23 (Ref:1854846)   #10
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6409025.stm
Old 1 Mar 2007, 19:24 (Ref:1854849)   #11
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The liability for this could be huge. I'd be denying there was any contamination too if I was the petrol distributor/retailer.
Old 1 Mar 2007, 19:30 (Ref:1854852)   #12
Suze
Veteran

England
There must be some independent governing body or whatever though that steps in at some point and does the tests (if they're not the ones doing the testing already).
Old 1 Mar 2007, 19:32 (Ref:1854856)   #13
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
Yes it'll be trading standards...
Old 1 Mar 2007, 19:34 (Ref:1854859)   #14
Suze
Veteran

England
I would presume there'd be a regulation authority for the petrol companies as well as Trading Standards though.
Old 1 Mar 2007, 19:46 (Ref:1854869)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Trading Standards covers it. It is what it for. They do regular checks on petrol stations to ensure that all the relevant regulations are adhereed to.

Trading Standards have many different experts and can call on even more experts for every aspect of trading!
e.g. http://www.durham.gov.uk/durhamcc/us...ding+Standards
Old 1 Mar 2007, 20:01 (Ref:1854881)   #16
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chezza
contaminant might be silicone...
Silicon!
Old 1 Mar 2007, 20:17 (Ref:1854886)   #17
Suze
Veteran

England
Having had a search think BSI cover some as well.

Searching back on here there's an interesting old thread re Tesco fuel talking about the ethanol etc as well. Also had a look at the Greenergy site and some of their product specifications but not all links seem to be working
Old 1 Mar 2007, 21:52 (Ref:1854942)   #18
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
Thanks for that Dave...I realised but it was too late to edit!
Old 2 Mar 2007, 07:53 (Ref:1855359)   #19
devon kev
Racer

Guernsey
MELBOURNE DERBY
devon kev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dodgy Fuel

Is this for real or just a hate campaign against supermarket service stations by other fuel suppliers
Old 2 Mar 2007, 12:23 (Ref:1855510)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What do you mean? Have all these cars not broken down?
Old 2 Mar 2007, 20:56 (Ref:1855806)   #21
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
What do you mean? Have all these cars not broken down?
Or is it that people are jumping on the bandwagon?
Old 2 Mar 2007, 23:23 (Ref:1855909)   #22
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj choc ice
well not much surprise brand wise, i would never put tesco and morrisons fuel in my car, only BP, shell, texaco or maybe total.

Both our cars run on Morrisons fuel and run very nicely indeed thankyou

Admitedly it is diesel but Morrisons all the same

All the fuel in a certain area will come from the same storage facility..

I worked for a while at Kingsbury and they all pull fuel out of there...
Old 2 Mar 2007, 23:28 (Ref:1855911)   #23
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand
Silicon!
I think it is a silicone compound they are talking about. See http://www.silcheminc.com/products.html for examples.

I agree that it is probably the breakdown of these silicones into silicon dioxide on the oxygen sensor which is being implicated as the actual problem.

Regards

Jim
Old 3 Mar 2007, 14:12 (Ref:1857178)   #24
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW
I think it is a silicone compound they are talking about. See http://www.silcheminc.com/products.html for examples.
Agreed, but in the original report silicon was specifically mentioned - not silicones!

......and I'm not totally unfamiliar with Silchem's products!
Old 3 Mar 2007, 15:56 (Ref:1857219)   #25
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
Broadly speaking yes - talk to the fuel guys eg at ATL, the fuel cell people - places like Tescos put 10% ethanol in their fuel whereas places like BP etc don't.
Buncefield Depot anyone? Shell, BP, Tesco et al. So I wonder, where does the ethylene go in other than at the refinery?

I once repaired an ethylene pipeline for Conoco in Hull.

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 3 Mar 2007 at 16:03.