Old 25 Jun 2003, 03:23 (Ref:642189)   #1
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who would you pick to drive?

Posted on Champweb

A rumor buzzing around has Mika Salo in the second PK Racing seat come Cleveland. PK Racing has a test scheduled with Max Papis at Road America coming up, but we may see Salo testing their instead.

Salo was seen at Portland with PK Racing for the majority of the weekend, and Laguna Seca driver Bryan Herta appears to be going to the AGR seat in the IRL. However, Herta is reportedly asking for 1.5 million, and AGR may not be able to foot the bill. Therefore, a decision has not been made by PK Racing on Herta or Salo...yet.

So if you were running the team and had to choose, which driver would you pick?
Old 25 Jun 2003, 03:24 (Ref:642190)   #2
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Herta and Papis, no question.
Old 25 Jun 2003, 03:31 (Ref:642192)   #3
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ummm....honestly, I think both Papis and Herta are so-so drivers that will deliver on rare weekends throughout the year, but won't in most races. Salo....I don't know...he never really impressed me that much in F1, but he did have a few good drives for Toyota.

I guess I'll have to say none of the above. But, I'd at least like to see what Salo can do in a Champ car. I think Max and Bryan have had their chances.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 25 Jun 2003, 05:20 (Ref:642230)   #4
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, I'm a bit of a Papis fan, but even I have to admit he's either spectacular or not a factor, or doesn't finish. I'd still go with him and Herta though. Maybe Salo would have a better chance with Dale Coyne. I hear their always looking for drivers!
Old 25 Jun 2003, 05:22 (Ref:642231)   #5
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to go with Eric Jensen and Philip Fayer of Starwood Team Jensen from Toyota Atlantics. Those two are dead slow but I hear they are super nice guys, and you know the best part is neither happens to be American, which should make some "journalist" really happy.

Salo would be a good bench mark on just how useless Lemarie's feedback was. Though all the driver swapping ain't helping that team one bit.
Old 25 Jun 2003, 05:24 (Ref:642232)   #6
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've always been a big Herta fan, so obviously I'd like to see him with a chance to win... something I don't think he'd have at PKR. Max is a good choice, he's got a likeable personality. As for a guy who can deliver every weekend, why isn't Memo Gidley in a Champ Car?

Mika Salo would probably do alright, but he has a rather boring personality...
Old 25 Jun 2003, 05:24 (Ref:642233)   #7
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Well, neither is spectacular. I just think Salo's the very definition of an F1 has-been, and LeMarie is, well, hopeless.

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 25 Jun 2003 at 05:26.
Old 25 Jun 2003, 05:38 (Ref:642237)   #8
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got to be Herta and Papis, no doubts about it.
Old 25 Jun 2003, 06:24 (Ref:642255)   #9
RRR
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, VIC
RRR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd take Herta and Papis personally. Although throwing in a has-been F1 driver creates good publicity. I could image that being the only way Salo gets a stint ... But he'd be outside the top 10 for sure ...
Old 25 Jun 2003, 06:58 (Ref:642269)   #10
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Herta and Papis. Herta will keep happy those people that whinge constantly about wanting more Americans in the series.

Salo doesn't really deserve the seat anyway.
Old 25 Jun 2003, 07:51 (Ref:642333)   #11
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Eh... Herta doesn't make me all that happy. When I talk about American talent... Well, I'm talking about better drivers than Brian.
Old 25 Jun 2003, 09:10 (Ref:642397)   #12
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Herta can forget it if he is asking for $1.5 million. He will be lucky to get a full time seat if he brings that much.
Old 25 Jun 2003, 09:37 (Ref:642418)   #13
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What has Herta done to merit what works out at $150,000 per race out of the final 10 of the season, considering that he has no hope of being a championship contender, and has only put in occasioanl good drives on ovals. Bryan is just greedy and has an inflated sense of his own ability. The same goes for Papis, who deserved not to have a fullseason drive after his pre-season ranting.

Salo could do well in CART, given a chance. He was promised a job for life by Toyota, which was to stretch beyond his driving days, and was foolish enoug to belive one of the world's most evil companies. He can still do a good job, and will be a challenge to Max if they sign him. He's a much bette roption than Bryan.
Old 25 Jun 2003, 10:48 (Ref:642485)   #14
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't Papis ex F1?

Salo not only raced at Toyota but tested for Ferrari I think two years ago, and finished that year by filling in for Michaek Schumacher performing surprisingly well.

What's the big deal though.

I'd consider who could bring the most money obviously, but on performance, would go for Salo and Herta.
Old 25 Jun 2003, 10:48 (Ref:642486)   #15
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Salo I think would be great for CART. He is quick and a bit of a personality. Let's up the talent level in CART and make some of these guys really work.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 25 Jun 2003, 10:56 (Ref:642496)   #16
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd pick Max Papis and Memo Gidley.
Old 25 Jun 2003, 11:29 (Ref:642524)   #17
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Omega99
Maybe Salo would have a better chance with Dale Coyne. I hear their always looking for drivers!
No, Dale's looking for pots of money. Which he seems to have minimal success in finding.

Papis is indeed ex-F1 but he only did about half a season years ago for Arrows. It's not the same as Salo who's built his CV on a decade of F1. Max is thought of for his CART and Sportscars achievements.
Old 25 Jun 2003, 13:00 (Ref:642630)   #18
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We should remember that Salo, at his first race with Ferrari in 1999 had to let Irvine pass 'cos of team orders; if in Toyota he wasn't that impressive, it due to the fact of running a dog.
Thus i would be more faithful about him; would also be interesting to see how a former F1 driver go in CARt, after the unhappy experience of Alex Yoong
Old 25 Jun 2003, 14:12 (Ref:642697)   #19
ringo
Racer

ringo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
cart needs drivers like salo at the mo... Too many no-names and salo is a fast proven driver with a big name a could really shake up the field. (you don't last in F1 as long as he did unless your very good)

Last edited by ringo; 25 Jun 2003 at 14:12.
Old 25 Jun 2003, 14:36 (Ref:642718)   #20
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think 'Mika Salo' is that big of name in the US... still, I'd like to see what he can do in a Champcar.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 25 Jun 2003, 23:49 (Ref:643243)   #21
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mika Salo was never really given the opportunity to shine in F1. But as Splatz said, he could've won his 2nd race driving for Ferrari in 99 but for team orders. He put in some great drives with Tyrrell, and IMO was very impressive last year. Look how many times he qualified in the top 10. And he outqualified McNish 16-1 if I remember right.
Old 26 Jun 2003, 01:27 (Ref:643284)   #22
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd like to see Salo in CART.

I'm normally sort of opposed to Herta because he's had lots of chances to shine already. However, given the current mix of circuits Herta has the potential to do quiet well. Potential being the optimal phrase. Nationality makes a difference right now too.

Papis has had some good races and he's an obvious crowd pleaser. He's a good driver, but he's not a guy who's going to challange for the championship.
Old 26 Jun 2003, 13:24 (Ref:643721)   #23
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Salo.
Old 26 Jun 2003, 13:39 (Ref:643732)   #24
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Looks like Herta has gone to the IRL, so we could well see Salo in a PK car at Cleveland or later. it's a cricula time ot sort out a deal, with so many races in this part of the season. PK can't get a particualrly good position in the championship having chopped and changed theri drivers, so they'll want to learn stuff for 2004, whcih tehre's every chance of with two drivers bringing a range of experience, determination adn talent.
Old 27 Jun 2003, 01:52 (Ref:644267)   #25
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
I think I'd pick Thomas Enge.