Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 7 Feb 2004, 16:32 (Ref:866431)   #1
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pick me a car

OK, after the debate over the Ford Probe below, I'd like to open things up a bit more...

Put simply, my Audi A4 (on a 51 plate) is coming to the end of it's contract soon, and I'm going to need another car. I have a few options, as follows:

1. Buy the car from Audi UK. It's going to have about 55K on the clock, but has been fantastic, and as I have a full service contract, has been looked after regardless of cost by Audi dealers, because Audi were paying (although I suspect my monthly contract hire payments more than covered any outlay...)

2. Pick another car, and start a fresh contract hire agreement. Another A4, perhaps the cabriolet, or something like a Mercedes SLK, or perhaps something slighlty cheaper like a VW Golf. It would be nice to have some money at the end of each month!

3. Buy something used, outright. This looks like the favourable option, as I could do with some money to put into a new business venture, and not lumping out 500 quid a month on finance would be nice. And this is where you all come in. Originally I thought Probe, or Mazda MX6 (probe with a different badge on it!!)
On reflection, this may not be that bright, I need something biq, quick but reasonably economical (no suggestions for 15MPG vehicles please), and something that I'm going to feel as safe as one can in (no suggestions for a Saxo VTR either then)

Basically what we're looking for is something that was expensive new, that someone else has taken the hit on. I don't really want to spend more than about 5K in one hit, so my shortlist currently containts things like the Vauxhall Omega, Alfa 156, and other such. Milage is largely unimportant but I'd like something with a bit of life left in it. I don't plan on keeping it more than 18 months, but it must last that long at least, and preferably have some potential for offloading at the end of it. Or at least have some potential for me to do something else with it at the end - I imagine a 3.0 Omega Elite might make a fun track day car by the time I've gutted it, and put the bear essentialsonly back in (ie a seat, and very little else)

As ever, your thoughts and comments (good or bad) are invited and welcomed.

Last edited by MichaelC; 7 Feb 2004 at 16:33.
Old 7 Feb 2004, 17:38 (Ref:866462)   #2
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, for my pennyworth, I've worked on the other side of car leasing and I can certainly reassure you that Audi will not have been out of pocket when it comes to the maintenance part of your lease contract! As far as I could tell, unless a dealership has a very real incentive reason for putting people into lease cars and can lower the initial purchase price or massively inflate a guaranteed buy-back figure, then leasing isn't really the option for a private sale. Where leasing really works is when you're self-employed or a small business and there are tax reasons for the car not appearing on the balance sheet.

I'd personally go for the used option. And as I'm actively looking for a 2-year old Alfa 156 myself, I am a little biased! Certainly you can get an awful lot of 156 for your money at the moment.

Omegas are losing value catastrophically. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with them, but you might even be lucky and find a 2001 model for a third of its original purchase price. Don't rule out the Ford Probe or the Cougar either. They too have the curse of "a Capri without the charisma" which Ford just doesn't seem to be able to shift. Noone wants them it seems. Can I also add to the shortlist the Nissan 200SX?
Old 7 Feb 2004, 22:27 (Ref:866657)   #3
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
have an audi s3 if you can get your hands on one. i'm a major advocate of the vw/audi 3.2 v6 engine, and the a3 has always been a good looking little car.
Old 7 Feb 2004, 23:54 (Ref:866721)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sitting here in Oz means we have a slighly tainted view of the motoring world as we dont tend to get all the good versions of different models, nor the importer support to finance them cheaply.

I myself would be happy with a BMW 3 series, export quality ones that land here feel as if they are built like brick outhouses, and would last forever. Although not that quick. Resale is very strong also.

Alfas and Audis enjoy a poor reputation here, for retained value, for longevity.... and a horrible insurance cost... seems Alfas are stealable
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 8 Feb 2004, 00:55 (Ref:866740)   #5
peteconnors
Racer

United Kingdom
Shropshire
peteconnors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
£5k? Big, expensive new, reasonable MPG? If you liked your Audi, you can pick up an A8 for under £5k. The 2.8 shouldn't be too thirsty. BMW 728i, '96ish would fetch that money, or you could get a '94 last of line model, with 60k on the clock for around £4k. Maybe a Merc S280/320 from around '94. If you want the ultimate bargain I'd go for an S600; the MPG could bring a tear to your eye, but I recently saw one with 72k on the clock, sold for £106k new, was up for £5995. Nice. If a Jag is your thing I know of a minter for sale at
http://www.sdsc.co.uk/car4/car4.htm
Old 8 Feb 2004, 15:49 (Ref:867170)   #6
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by bella
have an audi s3 if you can get your hands on one. i'm a major advocate of the vw/audi 3.2 v6 engine, and the a3 has always been a good looking little car.
Funny you should say that. I only went in to buy an A3, and got smiled and encouraged into an A4. Dirty saleswoman tactics!!
Old 7 Mar 2004, 09:23 (Ref:896774)   #7
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
I myself would be happy with a BMW 3 series, export quality ones that land here feel as if they are built like brick outhouses, and would last forever. Although not that quick. Resale is very strong also.
Just make sure you take out a second Mortgage on the house before you go to get them serviced GTR
Old 8 Mar 2004, 11:32 (Ref:897932)   #8
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'd be very wary of any Audi A8 at that kind of price - could be some very big scary bills around the corner even on a 2.8 (which is not quick by the way!). Same (potentially) goes for 5/7 series BMW and E/S class Merc.

£5k buys a half decent Lexus GS300 (pre-facelift). Not the most dynamic big car out there, but looks ok and bulletproof reliability. LS400s also appear in that bracket, but might be a bit thirsty.

Also worth considering a Nissan Maxima/QX. You should find a cared for lowish mileage QX 3.0 SEL for £5k. Depends if you can live with front wheel drive handling in something so big!

The Omega is certainly a decent option, if you stick to the 3.0/3.2. A bit thirsty perhaps, but you get a hell of alot of car for your money. Elite probably the one to go for, but an MV6 with leather would be nice too. Probably looking at 3.0 pre-facelift cars for around £5k - and I really wouldn't consider spending any more than that on one.

Last edited by garcon; 8 Mar 2004 at 11:36.
Old 11 Mar 2004, 08:10 (Ref:901666)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by colinbond
Just make sure you take out a second Mortgage on the house before you go to get them serviced GTR
Sadly they are similarly priced to a Honda Civic a friend of mine once owned for a short time.

Service prices are insane.. and when they are on lease, you are obligated to take the dealer servicing....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 13 Mar 2004, 03:38 (Ref:904052)   #10
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
Sadly they are similarly priced to a Honda Civic a friend of mine once owned for a short time.

Service prices are insane.. and when they are on lease, you are obligated to take the dealer servicing....
But at least with us Fleet Lease coompanies we can and do get the servicing at a much reduced rate. There are advantages of getting your car serviced at a dealer too dont forget
Old 14 Mar 2004, 11:10 (Ref:904965)   #11
Russ
Rookie

Russ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honda me up son,Honda me up!
Old 16 Mar 2004, 01:43 (Ref:906584)   #12
Phoenix1
Veteran

Phoenix1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if you have small friends or just need two seats plus two tiny ones in the back try the Honda Prelude. Four wheel steer, good to drive an for some unknown reason a large 'glove box' in the middle. Cheap to run, reliable and although not a car everyone might think of at first worth a drive round the block. Having driven cars ranging from a Ford Ka to a new type BMW Seven to a M3 CSI to a VX220 for the money the Prelude is good 'bang for your buck'. How much you thinking of spending? A word of warning with the Honda, get the firehawk tires no some cheap ta. These are directional and rather nifty.
Old 16 Mar 2004, 23:37 (Ref:907712)   #13
NickReeve
Rookie

NickReeve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had exactly the same problem about three years ago except in my case the company car option was withdrawn....

In cahoots with my local garagiste who's a friend of mine (Only fair since I probably pay half of his mortgage) we came to the following conclusion...

Dont touch an Omega with a bargepole! They're very nice cars but the non-V6's are slow and the V6 jobs can be very very expensive to service (the cam drive gear is tortuous and needs special service tools). The depreciation on them is also appalling.

When I was looking the Audis were outside my £6000 price range. Probably a better option now.

Lexus may very fine motor cars but they're luxury motors. Servicing is again very expensive.

My solution was a BMW 5 Series. Dont go for the current model, go for the last of the previous one. BMW discount spares cost on their non-current cars which makes the spares cost reasonable. Plenty of third party stuff available too. Dont go BMW main dealer for service but to a reputable independant. I pay less than £150 for an oil service and a major service is about £250. I've had one four figure bill due to failing hydraulic tappets but thats just life. In less than three years I've taken the car from 60,000 miles to 130,000 and I reckon its just about run in. Its got to last me at least another three years and I see no reason why it shouldnt.....

One car no-one's mentioned is a Subaru Legacy. Trim's a bit basic and servicing isnt cheap but bullet proof and the 4WD gives nice handling