Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 21 May 2002, 07:17 (Ref:291134)   #1
PaulPerkins
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester, UK
PaulPerkins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Website idea

Just been thinking (yes, it hurt a little) about an idea for a website that I know I would find useful.

How about a marshals' guide to all the circuits in the UK (or even world-wide - let's be adventurous!), with details of signing on points, typical sign-on times, along with the best places to park for each marshalling post, good posts to work, good places to get photos and views of the action, and so on and so on...

Could also include details of local hostelries, B&Bs, Travelodges and the like, best routes to avoid traffic, meeting points at the circuit, and like wise.

I know all of this information is probably available on other websites, or by chatting to other people, but I think it would be extremely useful if condensed into one website.

What are people's thoughts on this?

I'm happy to provide the web-space and admin for this little venture, and to start off with the little that I know about Oulton if others are willing to chip in with other circuits.

Sound like a goer??

Paul.
Old 21 May 2002, 07:47 (Ref:291152)   #2
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
I can give you some good stuff on Mondello and I could get stuff for Kirkistown as well if you like.

Last edited by EvilPumpkin; 21 May 2002 at 07:50.
Old 21 May 2002, 07:50 (Ref:291154)   #3
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Sounds like a good idea to me, As you say, a lot of the information is available elsewhere, but a lot of vital stuff, such as where to park, location of sign-on points, etc., isn't, as far as I know, available anywhere.
Old 21 May 2002, 08:54 (Ref:291193)   #4
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Let me know if you go ahead and I'll give you the info for Brands Hatch
Old 21 May 2002, 12:36 (Ref:291391)   #5
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Go for it paul sound a great idea and there will be loads of people willing to help Im sure. Ill chip in with Donington and Malory.
Old 22 May 2002, 08:18 (Ref:292269)   #6
PaulPerkins
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester, UK
Thanks for the encouragement, boys and girls!

I've set to with a prototype of what I think it might look like, and only includes the main page for Oulton with the Old Hall post as a starter.

Please feel free to have a look and suggest any additions or omissions that you might have to hand.

The URL is http://objektiv.intrascape.com/marshalling/

This URL will probably change as this is my test server.

Thanks again,

Paul.
Old 22 May 2002, 08:28 (Ref:292279)   #7
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Looks good Paul, you've got a typo on "Marshal" on the banner but other than that it's good.

Also as a suggestion, you've got England and Ireland, it might be a nice idea to add an "other" so that all the invaluable information that marshals have about places like Spa, Le Mans etc. can be disseminated as well.

Perhaps someone creative could come up with a logo as well?
Old 22 May 2002, 12:14 (Ref:292485)   #8
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
A brilliant idea, good to see the addition of "other" circuits, but that subdividing of the world still has to be refined a bit.
A resource detailing circuits from a marshalling point of view could become a class leader.
Honest, fair opinions would be the clincher for me. Nothing too sycophantic and I would'nt be too interested in a site that said (for example) that xxxx circuit is better than yyyy circuit. No inter track rivalries.

If Brands Hatch's official marshal's car park becomes a mud trap at the slightest sign of rain say so. (it does)
If Lydden's communication system is less than robust tell us. (semaphore helps)
Croix's posts badly sighted, speak up.(oops, sillytoes aready did)
Knockhill's free breakfast and lunch, terrific (well it was back in the 90s)
Maybe have to have opinions referred to an adjudicating panel so that nothing too libellious is said.

Finally, refering back to my first point about geography, some of us from Scotland or Wales might be a bit upset to be in that "other" category, and is Ireland going to be Northern Ireland as well as Ireland?

Why not just UK and Ireland, followed by Europe, North America, Australia?(Since there are a few ozzies on this part of the board), then other.

I sense a "posted/stickied thread"

Last edited by Bodysnatcher; 22 May 2002 at 12:22.
Old 22 May 2002, 14:41 (Ref:292627)   #9
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great start if you want to get a bit of interest try and get people to put a note up at sign on for different circuits so people will look and give you more info on there circuits. This was you will cover more ground quickly. And a few pictures would be nice (of racing the track and even a few crashes).
If you want something on donington or mallory ill try and put something together
Old 22 May 2002, 15:15 (Ref:292671)   #10
Richard Sneader
Veteran

Scotland
Grays, Essex
Richard Sneader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good idea about this web site. It might be useful to put what the main clubs are for each circuit like BRSCC SE is the main club at Brands SEMSEC is for Lydden and so on.
I will put the web address into the BMMC SE newsletter for July/ August edition and a small piece about it would be usefull to all our members from yourself. You can mail me this on: richard_sneader@hotmail.com
If I can supply any info then please let me know. Are you considering sprint, hillclimb and kart tracks as well?.
Yours,
Richard Sneader...
BMMC SE Newsletter Editor.
Old 22 May 2002, 15:42 (Ref:292704)   #11
Kev Smith
Rookie

Kev Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
do you want some info on Croft
Old 22 May 2002, 18:30 (Ref:292840)   #12
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Excellent start! I'll fill in some of the Oulton gaps, & I can do a pretty comprehensive write-up for Anglesey - which, by the way, is in WALES!
Old 22 May 2002, 18:39 (Ref:292846)   #13
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Superb Site - good luck with it!
Old 22 May 2002, 19:33 (Ref:292879)   #14
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Super stuff!

Would you be interested in adding a branded version of this forum to the new site ? If you're interested I can set one up - email me
Old 22 May 2002, 19:56 (Ref:292888)   #15
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
I've been thinking about doing exactly that over the last week or so (mainly after getting hopelessly confused about how to get to post at Donnington for the DTM's).

I would think things like Photo's showing where the sign on huts are, circuit entrances, handy cut throughs to get to awkward posts, dodgy line of sight problems like that.

I'm off to Gurston Down this weekend, I might take my camera down and have a pop at it.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Alistair
Old 22 May 2002, 21:10 (Ref:292953)   #16
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Looks like you've started something here Paul!! I hope you've got lots of server capacity lined up - I think this is going to be popular!

Sorry to be precise but you've still got the typo on the banner heading!
Old 22 May 2002, 21:49 (Ref:292988)   #17
wickedwitch
Racer

wickedwitch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this site is excellent and I can see it being used a lot - well done Paul. Good luck, with the site!

Last edited by wickedwitch; 22 May 2002 at 21:49.
Old 23 May 2002, 00:13 (Ref:293089)   #18
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good move, go for it, anything which will encourage marshals to visit other circuits will reap dividends in the long term.
Interestingly this thread seems very UK based, most US & Canadian circuits already give this sort of info either on a circuit site or SCCA or Canadian Corner Worker site. They find it essential in view of the distances they have to cover.
Old 23 May 2002, 07:18 (Ref:293228)   #19
PaulPerkins
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester, UK
Wow! Thanks everyone - looks like I'm going to be busy! (The girlfriend will be very pleased, I'm sure ;( )

Righty - I'm going to start some coding this weekend to allow people to sign up and contribute content directly to the site. In the meantime, if you're kind enought to donate some time, please do send on some content by email. If you could use the address in the 'contact' page of the website that would be good.

In other words, if you've said 'would you like some info on xxxx' in this thread, then my reply is 'yes, please!'.

As you've probably come to realise, this project will only succeed if everyone gets involved; as I said in the opening page, this should be a site by marshals for marshals, so please do send content on to me - no matter how little (or better still, large).

I'll try to read over every message here again and make sure that I've covered each idea - the more we can get in at the beginning, the more likely we are to get visitors.

Richard S, I will get round to writing to you at some time soon.

Piglet, can you excuse my density - what is the typo? I thought that the spelling would be " Marshals' " as it's a site belonging to many marshals. Am I missing your point?!

Oh, and yes - if you've got photos, please do send them to me - I think it would help enormously to explain the words (picture is worth a thousand... etc), and a gallery would be nice, too.

And Craig, yes, a branded version of this forum would be excellent - after all, without this forum, the website wouldn't have even begun. I'll be in touch.

Phew, that was a long message. Thanks again, everyone, and please do get the info coming in. Let's make a go of it!

Paul.
Old 23 May 2002, 08:01 (Ref:293248)   #20
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
I think Piglet is trying to tell you there's an "s" missing Paul

You have "Marhals'" rather than "Marshals'"

Old 23 May 2002, 08:08 (Ref:293253)   #21
Piglet
Veteran

Spot on EP, sorry Paul I should have been clearer! I proof read in my day job & these things jump out at me & I tend to assume that they do to everyone else as well! Keep up the good work.
Old 23 May 2002, 08:16 (Ref:293256)   #22
PaulPerkins
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester, UK
Ooops!
Old 23 May 2002, 08:19 (Ref:293259)   #23
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
you're right about the apostrophe though if that helps?
Old 23 May 2002, 08:46 (Ref:293283)   #24
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
if you want directions etc, I am sure Craig won't mind you using the details from the Circuit Guides at www.bandqsi.com
Old 23 May 2002, 11:12 (Ref:293396)   #25
N M Ramsden
Rookie

Wales
Portskewett, Monmouthshire
N M Ramsden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can help with Pembrey. The thing I find most difficult is knowing where on the circuit a particulat post is. At sign on you normally just get... ' Ahhh Post 12 ' I'm like ' Ahhh where the flip's that and how the flip do I get there ? '

Perhaps circuit maps with marshals posts would help.