Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 17 Jan 2004, 05:57 (Ref:841267)   #26
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pete- no, it has been moved to Morgan Park, and the WDSCC will promote it. A big part of the different calendar for this year was a survey circulated, and the responses came up with 3 races at QR, and 2 at Morgan Park. This basically takes into account the various costs involved etc. Last year there were a few poorly attended race meetings, so by dropping three, it is hoped to consolidate the fields and make it a bit easier on promoters and to have a better product for the punters.

If this niggle can't be sorted with CAMS, what would the HRCC do? There are probably people around here who can answer this better than me, but surely they should make a priority to sort out the situation, because if nothing else, the revenue from track and shed hire would not be insignificant.

There's no doubt that the AASA (sorry) has something to offer grassroots, but it think it will take some effort for the clubs and competitor base as a whole to be educated before everyone jumps in hook line and sinker.

BTW- how are entries etc going for the Top Gear Classic? Also, i think it is listed as a 3 day meeting, but i read (might have misread) that it will be a one day affair. Hopefully there will be a good field of cars, cause I can't wait
Old 17 Jan 2004, 09:29 (Ref:841363)   #27
spook
Veteran

spook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Crash - where have you been sleeping !!.

QR will survive without CAMS, the circuit has built up it's product range over the last few years and does not need the "fabulous wealth" that CAMS State Championship Racing brings to the table.

But can Qld State Championship Racing survive without QR?

I find it amazing that people understand that organisations such as PROCAR and AVESCO are commercial entities that need to make tough commercial decisions, but consider the circuits should do it all for the sport and ignore the bottom line.

If you add up what being a member of the CAMS "family" costs a circuit (Track licence fees/event permits) over a year, and compare it to the income generated from their (CAMS) product - well it just does not add up any more.

CAMS has to accept that the majority of circuits around this country are commercial operations that have to make a profit - they are not club run charities.

I hope that QR does clear the air soon and issue their side of the story, but I can also see their side of things, and some people in CAMS need to talk a long walk off a short pier if our sport is to survive much longer.
Old 17 Jan 2004, 21:41 (Ref:841868)   #28
Matthew Ronke
Veteran

Australia
NSW
Matthew Ronke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by spook
Crash - where have you been sleeping !!.

QR will survive without CAMS, the circuit has built up it's product range over the last few years and does not need the "fabulous wealth" that CAMS State Championship Racing brings to the table.

But can Qld State Championship Racing survive without QR?

I find it amazing that people understand that organisations such as PROCAR and AVESCO are commercial entities that need to make tough commercial decisions, but consider the circuits should do it all for the sport and ignore the bottom line.

If you add up what being a member of the CAMS "family" costs a circuit (Track licence fees/event permits) over a year, and compare it to the income generated from their (CAMS) product - well it just does not add up any more.

CAMS has to accept that the majority of circuits around this country are commercial operations that have to make a profit - they are not club run charities.

I hope that QR does clear the air soon and issue their side of the story, but I can also see their side of things, and some people in CAMS need to talk a long walk off a short pier if our sport is to survive much longer.

I once read the fastest way to go out of business is to withdraw your product from sale.

If CAMS, let say asked for $1 mil in 2005 for the track licences and QR say no thanks, is it QR letting down the state motor sport competitors? I believe QR will let CAMS run events on the circuit but they will not pay outlandish fees. So your beef should be with CAMS not with QR.

Also ask the question why a Track Licences for motorcycle racing is about 100 times cheaper than CAMS bearing in mind that motorcycle racing is a high risk and more difficult to insurer.
Old 17 Jan 2004, 23:16 (Ref:841937)   #29
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Matthew - with respect, however, motor racing carries its own insurance (Motor Cycling Australia became an insurance company a few years ago because they started to do exactly what CAMS appear to now want to do - ie on-sell their insurance coverage which, as MA found out the hard way, is simply not legal).

However, apart from that - what you say is absolutely correct.

Last edited by RaceTime; 17 Jan 2004 at 23:17.
Old 17 Jan 2004, 23:20 (Ref:841939)   #30
RaceTime
Veteran

Crash - answer one question for me please.

Has Queensland suddenly become so dangerous that the MGCC can't run its meeting there simply because CAMS haven't issued it a track licence for 2004 or, as seems to be implied by your posts, have CAMS coerced clubs into believing that they (CAMS) are the ONLY body in Australia that can say to a circuit - 'Your track is now safe to use, here is our overpriced piece of paper that tells you this - but don't come running to us if anything goes wrong'?
Old 17 Jan 2004, 23:24 (Ref:841942)   #31
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The larger issue though is if that $1m fee is for all tracks, if one track chooses not to play, the others will have to step up and pay more to get the $1m back in the bank....

There appears to be no view on scale in this area
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 17 Jan 2004, 23:47 (Ref:841952)   #32
team drinkalot
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
team drinkalot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why would anyone want to race at QR anyway. Why not support the tracks that support you like Morgan Park.
Let QR keep their track closed for only their own personal use.
Lets face it, it's the mast boring track to race on, and spectate at.
Old 18 Jan 2004, 00:25 (Ref:841977)   #33
spook
Veteran

Has Tony Cochrane ever been to Morgan Park?. I would love to hear his thoughts on hosting the QLD V8 round there in July 2004, when CAMS tell him he has no other option.

But AVESCO don't read these Forums, so we will have to wait to read about it in AA/MN.
Old 18 Jan 2004, 00:27 (Ref:841980)   #34
spook
Veteran

After all that was the only option offered to MGCC from CAMS. Run it at Morgan Park or we will find someone else who will!.
Old 18 Jan 2004, 00:59 (Ref:841997)   #35
RaceTime
Veteran

spook - can you prove CAMS said that to the club? (ie in writing?)
Old 18 Jan 2004, 03:17 (Ref:842050)   #36
spook
Veteran

C'mon Racetime, you know how the old boys club works.

The whole episode happened in a couple of days and all verbal. If you leave these issues to the last minute (as always), there is just no time to put it in writing, and to ask for it in writing is to challenge the respect "the old boys" deserve.

I really feel sorry for the MGCCQ. They are the first to be caught in the looming crisis that CAMS is heading for.

If common sense prevails, the State Championship meeting allocated to WDSCC for later in the year, should be offered to MGCCQ now to run where they choose.
Old 18 Jan 2004, 03:21 (Ref:842052)   #37
sevi
Veteran

sevi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by spook
Has Tony Cochrane ever been to Morgan Park?. I would love to hear his thoughts on hosting the QLD V8 round there in July 2004, when CAMS tell him he has no other option.

But AVESCO don't read these Forums, so we will have to wait to read about it in AA/MN.
Is that tounge in cheek, cause they do read them.
Old 18 Jan 2004, 03:29 (Ref:842053)   #38
RaceTime
Veteran

spook - yes I know how the old boy network works - and I also know that it is about time that the clubs tha out these events on started taknig things seriously - if a verbal 'threat' such as this is made they should be dismissing it for what it is - an attempt by the people making it to flaunt the law.

The problem is that the clubs aren't standing up for their legal rights - the first thing they should actually have done is contact Bob Jane - anyone need his direct number, because it certainly appears a few people could use it...
Old 18 Jan 2004, 03:35 (Ref:842055)   #39
spook
Veteran

Well if that is true (or just a guess sevi) and TC is man enough to speak his mind, we should see him/her posting here soon.

But TC prefers the "media splash" communication style.

If TC did post here, what do you suppose his "handle" would be?.

Last edited by spook; 18 Jan 2004 at 03:36.
Old 18 Jan 2004, 03:44 (Ref:842057)   #40
spook
Veteran

The problem as I see it Racetime, is the club people (and I'm talking all clubs here) are "amateurs", and they are being used as pawns by political "PROS" in CAMS.

Do you know that CAMS does not even require club "delegates" to State Councils to be members of the clubs they are there to represent. This means you can stack the State Councils full of people who simply toe the political line and do not fight for their "own" clubs interest.
Old 18 Jan 2004, 03:58 (Ref:842063)   #41
cynical_one
Rookie

cynical_one should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder if TC sprays as much when he types as when he speaks?

Maybe that's why he doesn't post here - he tried once and got a shock...
Old 18 Jan 2004, 07:03 (Ref:842092)   #42
sevi
Veteran

I said Avesco reads the forums, I did not say TC, and no it is not a guess, it is fact.
Old 18 Jan 2004, 07:05 (Ref:842093)   #43
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
TC see's the fans as the well the rear end of a human.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 18 Jan 2004, 07:09 (Ref:842097)   #44
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why would TC read the forums? If he read what the fans said he would than realise how unpopular he is.
Old 18 Jan 2004, 07:30 (Ref:842112)   #45
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I wouldnt mind being an unpopular millionaire

The 5th Wiggle is doing very nicely for himself
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 18 Jan 2004, 08:07 (Ref:842125)   #46
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GTR. is that Dorothy?

TC would not post here. After one day posting on here he would have to hire a secretary to handle it all. And i doubt anyone from AVESCO or TEGA would either, especially in an official capacity.
Old 18 Jan 2004, 08:59 (Ref:842141)   #47
spook
Veteran

Maybe he should post once in a while. If we could get to know him better, we might begin to like him.

TIC sevi!
Old 18 Jan 2004, 09:05 (Ref:842145)   #48
sevi
Veteran

TIC?????????? :confused:
Old 18 Jan 2004, 09:08 (Ref:842148)   #49
spook
Veteran

Tongue In Cheek !!!

GOTCHA !!!