Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 24 Jun 2014, 08:50 (Ref:3425785)   #5026
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
I don't understand why people are trying to push gentleman drivers out of P2 - the only people that actually have any money.

If manufacturers don't step in a pro class just won't fly. The resurgence of the ELMS shows that P2 is a great formula. I wouldn't change much in the class. The clever use of a young silver can effectively give you an all-pro line-up if you want one, but still gives pro-am squads a shot.

They just need to make the WEC and its travel more attractive some how. I'm sure ironically if they do run a short season in 2015 it will be well subscribed. Graham Goodwin made a good point about the calendar. Creating stability in each round is great for attracting manufacturers, but if you are a gentleman driver why would you keep on doing the same thing again and again?

It's yet another argument to have the WEC run on great tracks, not Tilkedromes.
I completely agree with you that we don't need to change P2. Especially after Le Mans this year. P2 has always been incredibly competitive but has often flattered to deceive in terms of actual on-track action, but this year was pretty special on that front at LM.

I do wonder if the category has a future in the WEC. I'm not convinced at all that the series needs P2 or GTE-AM. I'd still prefer an ILMC-type arrangement with the local series boosting the grid numbers in a points-scoring round for their respective championship.
Old 24 Jun 2014, 09:00 (Ref:3425796)   #5027
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lms View Post
i mean some gentlemen drivers are prohibited to drive open top lmp2s, so they cant race them
This has nothing to do with licensing though, as you've stated. I'm not sure how long this list is anyway, I mean I can only think of Patrick Dempsey, currently not racing a LMP2 anyway, and it is strictly due to personal insurance.
Old 24 Jun 2014, 09:04 (Ref:3425798)   #5028
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
This has nothing to do with licensing though, as you've stated. I'm not sure how long this list is anyway, I mean I can only think of Patrick Dempsey, currently not racing a LMP2 anyway, and it is strictly due to personal insurance.
Tracy Krohn is another I believe, and last I read he was looking at P2 next season.

I'm not sure how long this list is either, but P2 manufacturers are certainly feeling the need to build coupes at the request of clients. Maybe not because there's thousands of incredibly rich gentleman drivers out there who can only be insured to race a closed top car, but more because they want to keep their potential customer base as wide as possible.

Open-top cars don't seem completely dead though, both the Tiga and the Pilbeam are spyders, should they ever race.
Old 24 Jun 2014, 11:34 (Ref:3425866)   #5029
Koenigsegg
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
Koenigsegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see BMW returning to Le Mans in GTE next year. Now that there is a Le Mans only BoP and Ferrari being allowed a Le Mans only aero package. That will help the Z4 GTE a lot to get some top speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Open-top cars don't seem completely dead though, both the Tiga and the Pilbeam are spyders, should they ever race.
Both the Tiga and Pillbeam are based on very old chassis'. Zytek, Oreca 03, Morgan and HPD are also all based on (very) old chassis'. All new LMP2 chassis are coupés, with Lola being the first to offer an LMP2 coupé. All the major P2 manufacturers will offer a coupé in the coming years.

PS: Don't know if Wolf are making a open-top or coupé.
Old 24 Jun 2014, 12:06 (Ref:3425872)   #5030
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
at daytona Z4 GTE was not so slow on top speed, an average of 175-176mph against 178mph of the fastest viper. Beyond the low drag kit allowed from this year at le mans, last year at le mans the vantage had a terrible top speed and basicly was the most competitive car.
Old 24 Jun 2014, 12:09 (Ref:3425875)   #5031
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Has anybody any info about an "urgent" meeting being called by the FIA ?
Old 24 Jun 2014, 12:20 (Ref:3425879)   #5032
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
When did BMW announce they were returning to Le Mans?
Old 24 Jun 2014, 13:27 (Ref:3425922)   #5033
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNigel View Post
Has anybody any info about an "urgent" meeting being called by the FIA ?
I recall reading something about that. IIRC the idea was to set GTE rules going forward, with the possibility of including some of the concepts from the convergence talks. I can’t immediately find a news story about it though.
Old 24 Jun 2014, 15:23 (Ref:3425955)   #5034
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
I recall reading something about that. IIRC the idea was to set GTE rules going forward, with the possibility of including some of the concepts from the convergence talks. I can’t immediately find a news story about it though.
http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/d...ture-gte-regs/

L.P.
Old 26 Jun 2014, 02:46 (Ref:3426555)   #5035
tjh8402
Rookie

United States
Orlando, Fl
tjh8402 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
I hope they can!! porsche vs ferrari vs aston is getting boring, especially with the same porsche model since.... 2007????? where the f is the mclaren gte? or lexus. or bmw! or anything.
I'd question your use of the world "boring" to describe a battle between the 3 most iconic sports car racing brands racing works teams against each other. This Porsche model is new as of a couple years ago. Like all 911s, it just looks like the previous models. I'm not sure what Lexus you're suggesting they compete with, as they currently do not make any road cars that have any business being turned into a GTE car or racing against 911s, 458s, Vantages, Vettes, Vipers, etc. The Z4 is currently LM GTE homologated, but my understanding is that the TUSCC is being supported by BMW NA, not BMW AG. That being said, I've said in other forums that I don't think the Z4 should've been allowed in GTE to begin with. Chevrolet and Dodge obviously feel that TUSCC provides a better bang for their buck for their works entries, especially since they aren't lacking for competition. Only Aston Martin isn't represented in that class.
Old 26 Jun 2014, 02:51 (Ref:3426558)   #5036
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Porsche vs Ferrari vs Aston is getting boring? Blasphemy! .
Old 26 Jun 2014, 05:07 (Ref:3426584)   #5037
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Comparing GTE and GT3 in terms of the number of marques, the latter has more than the former obviously.

If only FIA and ACO agreed to merge those two GT classes together... One GT class being separated between All-Pro and Pro-Am + Access to many marques = Win-Win situation for both parties.
Old 26 Jun 2014, 05:13 (Ref:3426586)   #5038
lms
Veteran

lms should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjh8402 View Post
The Z4 is currently LM GTE homologated, but my understanding is that the TUSCC is being supported by BMW NA, not BMW AG. That being said, I've said in other forums that I don't think the Z4 should've been allowed in GTE to begin with. .
its as much a gt car as any in the current gte field (and most of the gt3 field)
Old 26 Jun 2014, 07:31 (Ref:3426624)   #5039
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
its as much a gt car as any in the current gte field (and most of the gt3 field)
But what it ISN'T is a compliant GTE car
Old 26 Jun 2014, 11:14 (Ref:3426717)   #5040
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin View Post
But what it ISN'T is a compliant GTE car
Then why exactly did ACO bother to BoP it in 2013...

We all know it's the same sort of gigantic waiverwagon as it's predecessor but in the current 'who gives a ****' world of LMGTE that means nothing.
Old 26 Jun 2014, 11:21 (Ref:3426720)   #5041
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a bigger waiver wagen than the M3. It's the UBERWAIVERWAGEN
Old 26 Jun 2014, 13:16 (Ref:3426766)   #5042
Koenigsegg
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchZ06 View Post
It's a bigger waiver wagen than the M3. It's the UBERWAIVERWAGEN
Is the AM Vantage GTE the SUPERDUPERWAIVERWAGEN then?
Old 26 Jun 2014, 13:26 (Ref:3426774)   #5043
Koenigsegg
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
We might have a Garage 56 entry for 2017.

Students of the TU Eindhoven want to win the 2017 24h of Le Mans. With an electric engine at each wheel combined with a rotary engine.

At least their time schedule is realistic. Don't know if their funding is.

Source (last one is in Dutch):
http://inmotion.tue.nl/im01/
http://www.autoblog.nl/nieuws/tu-ein...181#post-68181
Old 26 Jun 2014, 14:33 (Ref:3426801)   #5044
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenigsegg View Post
We might have a Garage 56 entry for 2017.

Students of the TU Eindhoven want to win the 2017 24h of Le Mans. With an electric engine at each wheel combined with a rotary engine.

At least their time schedule is realistic. Don't know if their funding is.

Source (last one is in Dutch):
http://inmotion.tue.nl/im01/
http://www.autoblog.nl/nieuws/tu-ein...181#post-68181
Looks interesting at least.
Old 26 Jun 2014, 17:51 (Ref:3426862)   #5045
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Want to "win" Le Mans? What, in non-compliant car? ACO would performance balance them down immediately if that goal would actually have some chance of happening.
Old 26 Jun 2014, 18:15 (Ref:3426867)   #5046
deltawing
Racer

deltawing should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddeltawing should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If only these people with fancy websites and renderings knew what it actually takes to win LeMans....
Old 26 Jun 2014, 18:16 (Ref:3426868)   #5047
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Want to "win" Le Mans? What, in non-compliant car? ACO would performance balance them down immediately if that goal would actually have some chance of happening.
Think that's just a way of scoring hits and getting some momentum behind the project.

Unless they genuinely believe that...in which case, their madness will only take the project so far.
Old 26 Jun 2014, 18:19 (Ref:3426869)   #5048
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not a bad concept with 4 wheel electric motor, and I quite like that. With a ultra light weight design, they might indeed pull out a GTE lap time with production ICE/ Fuel Cell and four wheel motor. Just tons of traction in the corners!
Old 26 Jun 2014, 18:41 (Ref:3426879)   #5049
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Their are better chances of seeing Ferrari back in P1...A student run project of this kind is extremely difficult.
Old 26 Jun 2014, 18:47 (Ref:3426881)   #5050
Deleted
Veteran

Well there was that P1 Courage run by Tokai University few years back so similar(-ish) level projects have happened in recent years.