Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 10 Aug 2002, 12:53 (Ref:354584)   #1
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
When AYRTON signed my prints.

I thought you might like to see this.
Silverstone, June 1991 in the McLaren motorhome area at the tyre tests.
Ayrton takes delivery of the painting I did for him of his Brazilian GP win in '91 and signs the prints of it.The limited edition prints were also signed by Ron Dennis.They sold out very quickly!
Ayrton's mother Ms.Neide da Silva now owns the painting and has it in her office at the Senna Foundation in Sao Paulo.
I'll post a bigger pic of the painting next week if anyone is interested.
Fortunately I don't have that horrible moustache anymore!!
Attached Thumbnails
akas.jpg  
Old 10 Aug 2002, 19:13 (Ref:354772)   #2
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fantastic Andrew, what an experience that must have been for you. I'd appreciate a larger pic of the painting posted. Out of interest, how much did the signed prints sell for? (if you don't mind me asking )
Old 10 Aug 2002, 20:27 (Ref:354846)   #3
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, id like to see a bigger version of it also . That was a great race wasnt it , Senna cried his heart out after that win. Didnt he finish it with only a few gears left ?

Andrew , it must make you very proud being asked to produce a painting of a moment in time like that .
Old 10 Aug 2002, 20:29 (Ref:354853)   #4
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ooh , Nice moustache by the way .
Old 10 Aug 2002, 21:47 (Ref:354905)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Andrew, with a moniker like mine (it shouldn't take you long to work it out....), you'll understand how envious I am of you.

And yes please, I would very much like to see/have a larger pic of the painting. (Large enough for my study wall...... ).
Old 10 Aug 2002, 22:07 (Ref:354917)   #6
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Yeah Sato san, it was a great race. Senna actually did the last 10 laps in 6th gear with terrible cramps in his arms and shoulders. He may have been destroyed afterwards but it was his ability to find that extra plane above his god given ability that made him truly the greatest.
Old 11 Aug 2002, 09:43 (Ref:355107)   #7
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
I remember he was shouting " stop the race, stop the race " over the radio when the rain came , and afterward on the podium the strength he found to lift the trophy above his head showed what winning that race meant to him .

thats why i said that Andrew must have been very proud to be asked to produce a painting of such a important part of the great mans career .
Old 11 Aug 2002, 21:32 (Ref:355550)   #8
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
A guy who supplies stuff at work, his father also has one of his paintings/prints hanging in the Senna foundations head office.
Old 12 Aug 2002, 09:05 (Ref:355828)   #9
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks for the comments everyone, here is the painting which was entitled 'Home Town Hero'. It is 20 x 14ins in gouache water based paint.
The prints ( all sold out) were sold at £195 each - the price was suggested strongly by Ayrton himself. He was very meticulous - went over every detail of the painting and text on the print before signing them!
I am VERY proud to have been asked by him to do it and the fact that he and Ron then signed the prints. Ayrton signed them first, then I asked Ron. He didn't believe me at the time that AS had signed them as Senna didn't do this sort of thing! At that moment, Ayrton walked by and Ron asked him if his signatures were genuine so we struck a deal for a charity that McLaren support and Ron added his signatures too. Randy Owens in the states was the only other artist I knew that had previously had Senna sign some prints - and unbelievably countersigned with Prost's signature too at the height of their war! Randy's prints must be worth a bomb now. However, I saw an ad in an Autosport about 5 years ago offering one of my Senna signed prints for £3000! Don't know if the guy sold it for that.
What was more pleasing than all of the above was that whenever I saw Ayrton afterwards at the occasional GP or at the Autosport awards in Dec 91 for example, he would always make time for a chat, ask what I was working on, how things were going and what would I be painting next? He showed a genuine interest be it F1 paintings or Formula Ford. I had first met him when he raced FF here in '81 so he had always known what I did.
The photos I posted at the start of this thread were seen by Silvia Baptista of the Senna Foundation when I sent her some requested info about myself. I was then informed of the wherabouts of the painting and had a request from Ayrton's mother to provide a CD with photos of all Senna paintings I have done over the years and the pics of me with him. It would appear that she collects anything at all of her sadly missed son. Sadly missed by us all.
Attached Thumbnails
hther.jpg  
Old 12 Aug 2002, 10:17 (Ref:355861)   #10
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Great story Andrew . I would imagine that someone would gladly pay £3000 for a signed Senna print . Ive seen for myself the prices that Signed Senna pieces can reach .
Old 12 Aug 2002, 11:53 (Ref:355960)   #11
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Yeah, £195 was an absolute bargain!!
Old 12 Aug 2002, 12:17 (Ref:355988)   #12
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
That was the going rate at the time, back in '91. Now you have Schumi signed prints advertised at what...£499? This is determined by the amount of money the publishers have to pay the driver per signature and Schumi is not cheap!
Old 12 Aug 2002, 12:35 (Ref:356024)   #13
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
I heard he charges something like £150 a sig!!!
Old 12 Aug 2002, 12:44 (Ref:356039)   #14
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
More than that but can't disclose what I was told I'm afraid.
Old 12 Aug 2002, 15:24 (Ref:356154)   #15
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Well, we know where his millions come from
Old 15 Aug 2002, 19:02 (Ref:358555)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Sato san
Great story Andrew . I would imagine that someone would gladly pay £3000 for a signed Senna print . Ive seen for myself the prices that Signed Senna pieces can reach .

If I had a spare £3,000, I'd gladly hand it over.
Old 16 Aug 2002, 22:57 (Ref:359501)   #17
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I want one. If only money were no object. One day i will have one, I wish I'd been taller than a foot when I met him though.

Fantastoc work Andrew, your a brilliant painter and its always nice to know when you've done a good job isn't it!
Old 16 Aug 2002, 23:09 (Ref:359509)   #18
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paul

when did you meet The great man ?
Old 18 Aug 2002, 09:01 (Ref:360119)   #19
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well my mothers a brasilian and my Dad used to race him, he was at Brands in 1984 within a couple of months of me being born and came up to our suite.

Safe to say that I can't actually remember much of it!
Old 18 Aug 2002, 16:52 (Ref:360398)   #20
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by paulzinho
Well my mothers a brasilian and my Dad used to race him, he was at Brands in 1984 within a couple of months of me being born and came up to our suite.

Safe to say that I can't actually remember much of it!

But you met him Paul. You actually met him. Whether you were a few months old or not, no-one can take that away from you. Yes, I'm envious. (Again!).
Old 18 Aug 2002, 16:59 (Ref:360407)   #21
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
Ok i'll make you more envious, he held me as a baby!
Old 18 Aug 2002, 21:55 (Ref:360642)   #22
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
did you get photo's?
Old 18 Aug 2002, 21:59 (Ref:360648)   #23
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
nope....stupid parents and lack of camera. They will never forget about it while i'm around!
Old 18 Aug 2002, 22:01 (Ref:360651)   #24
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
i should think so too...thats criminal !

good story though .
Old 21 Aug 2002, 02:01 (Ref:362614)   #25
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Both good stories, I never stop in here, but did out of curiousity and found these neat stories.

cheers from Canada