Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Oct 2007, 21:20 (Ref:2044944)   #76
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
I'm not flippin' complaining!
I am. If he wins it, he should earn it and so treasure it - not have it fed to him.

I know it's an odd take to have.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 21:21 (Ref:2044945)   #77
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I'm not flippin' complaining!
That's a first!
Old 19 Oct 2007, 21:23 (Ref:2044949)   #78
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
well I just think its silly complaining that a fellow countrymen didn't get a penalty oh well! and to think there's some english and brits who don't want to see Lewis win the title!
Old 19 Oct 2007, 21:24 (Ref:2044952)   #79
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
well I just think its stupid complaining that a fellow countrymen didn't get a penalty oh well!
I'm not very patriotic. I pick my favourites on an individual level, not because of where they're born.

...and like I said, I want him to earn it - for the sport if anything.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 21:26 (Ref:2044953)   #80
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
I'm not very patriotic. I pick my favourites on an individual level, not because of where they're born.
I like Lewis because who he is nothing to do with him being english, but it's great seeing a British driver actually win in F1! I am therefore a passionate fan as I am also English and want to see a good British F1 driver do well!
Old 19 Oct 2007, 21:26 (Ref:2044954)   #81
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm with Hazard. I know qualifying was different then and all that but rules is rules... Like I said before it would have been fairer to give him an actual grid penalty. What's $22,000 to a guy like Lewis Hamilton now? He could probably give Sato a hand with the fine while he's on... He could probably **** all over that much money and not really care about it!
Old 19 Oct 2007, 21:28 (Ref:2044956)   #82
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:

...and like I said, I want him to earn it - for the sport if anything.
what he has done this year he has shown more than enough he deserves the title more than anyone! I think most will agree he deserves the title more, that is the general opinion of course others will think differently. oh well each to their own.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 21:29 (Ref:2044957)   #83
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Quote:
I like Lewis because who he is nothing to do with him being english, but it's great seeing a British driver actually win in F1!
That's one of the most contradictory statements I've seen in a while
Old 19 Oct 2007, 21:29 (Ref:2044960)   #84
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
So, Ralf gets a penalty back in '05, these days Lewis et al just get a fine? Lack of consistency in the application of penalites is playing it's part for the second race running I'm afraid.
Different "crime" so different penalty.

When the FIA dream up these sporting regulations, this one is new for 2007, they should also lay down the related penalty so it doesn't look like the FIA are making it up as they go along.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 21:30 (Ref:2044962)   #85
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Quote:
what he has done this year he has shown more than enough he deserves the title more than anyone! I think most will agree he deserves the title more, that is the general opinion of course others will think differently. oh well each to their own.
Nah he hasn't, cos McLaren cheated

Old 19 Oct 2007, 21:30 (Ref:2044963)   #86
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
and to think there's some english and brits who don't want to see Lewis win the title!
I know! Who'd have thought it!

Honestly, when it comes down to a one race three way battle like this, may the best man on the day win. I just wish we could bypass all the nonsense and get straight to the grid...
Old 19 Oct 2007, 21:33 (Ref:2044966)   #87
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
I'll admit I am biased when I said there shouldn't have been a penalty, that is because I want Lewis to win the title..In all fairness he probaly should have got it however Mclaren made a silly mistake I wouldn't expect from a team like this especially on the final weekend that they could win their first title for 8 years.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 21:35 (Ref:2044967)   #88
Chaos81
Racer

United States
Chaos81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I am. If he wins it, he should earn it and so treasure it - not have it fed to him.

So if he had gotten a grid penalty, and ended up not winning the championship because of it, would you say the same about Alonso or Kimi? They wouldn't "earn" the championship. They won it because Lewis started farther back.

Sorry, as you said, that's a rather odd take to have, just kinda interested in the logic behind it.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 21:35 (Ref:2044968)   #89
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands
Different "crime" so different penalty.

When the FIA dream up these sporting regulations, this one is new for 2007, they should also lay down the related penalty so it doesn't look like the FIA are making it up as they go along.
Actually, a brilliant point. Though there's the same problem as with McLaren's $100m fine, as that was specificly picked to reflect McLaren's circumstances and to make sure it was a penalty.

In this instance, Takuma's lost a fair amount of Christmas present money, whereas Button & Hamilton can rummage behind the sofa for this one.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 21:37 (Ref:2044971)   #90
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos81
So if he had gotten a grid penalty, and ended up not winning the championship because of it, would you say the same about Alonso or Kimi? They wouldn't "earn" the championship. They won it because Lewis started farther back.

Sorry, as you said, that's a rather odd take to have, just kinda interested in the logic behind it.
If he's gained an advantage by running two sets of tyres, he should be penalised. If that's what that rule was for. Kimi & Alonso have suffered penalties in accordance with breaching the regulations all year, they shouldn't all be suspended and penalty free just cos this is the last race - as that's not actually equal.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 21:39 (Ref:2044973)   #91
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman
If McLaren's got an FIA Steward in their garage then why did he let this happen? Does he know the rules or is he only looking after Alonso's interest's?
Why would the steward prevent it from happening?

Does a football referee prevent a player from making a poor tackle that would result in a free kick?

The steward is there to report infractions of the rules, not prevent them from happening.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 22:43 (Ref:2045012)   #92
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I wouldn't be surprised if every driver on the grid was unaware of the rule.They would have expected someone in their team to have read the rule book beforehand.They'll have been some red faces in a few garages I bet.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 22:56 (Ref:2045021)   #93
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

It is certainly an odd take to have given that a season is more than this one race.

To earn a title one must scrub a set of tyres (wrongly) and be given a grid penalty. It is quite unconventional and rather devalues most titles won over time.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 23:12 (Ref:2045027)   #94
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I'm still not sure why Hamilton was fined for what was a team mistake.With regards to the Ralf Schumacher thing,surely he was penalized because he gained benefit from oversize brake ducts.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 23:23 (Ref:2045032)   #95
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Hamilton wasn't fined. The team was.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 23:27 (Ref:2045035)   #96
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon
Hamilton wasn't fined. The team was.
That's what I thought,but these two articles are conflicting.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/63446

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=33238
Old 19 Oct 2007, 23:33 (Ref:2045040)   #97
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
They are, true. Probably just lazy journalism on Pitpass's part. Mind you, does it actually make any difference? The team'll pay it anyway. Unless Ron decides to dock it from Lewis's wages...
Old 19 Oct 2007, 23:37 (Ref:2045043)   #98
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Well it was obviously a team issue and fortunately Hamilton gained no benefit from it.

Well I'm glad that's over with.What's next?
Old 19 Oct 2007, 23:42 (Ref:2045049)   #99
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As much as the Tifosi in me would like to to see Hamilton get sent to the back and Alonso crash out, I have to agree with this.

The Toyota penalty punished the team as well by docking Ralf time. In this case, docking Hamilton time would only have hurt Hamilton, not the team. Also, the difference is that Ralf used an unregistered tire (wasn't assigned to him who knows where it came from could have been illegal we don't know) While Hamilton used a legal tire just the wrong one.

Lets have a good race this weekend, and can we at some point stop with the Ferrari Bias of the FIA? it started again in here until Hamilton didn't get punished and everyone got quiet.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 23:49 (Ref:2045055)   #100
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsfan733

The Toyota penalty punished the team as well by docking Ralf time. In this case, docking Hamilton time would only have hurt Hamilton, not the team. Also, the difference is that Ralf used an unregistered tire (wasn't assigned to him who knows where it came from could have been illegal we don't know) While Hamilton used a legal tire just the wrong one.
And there's me thinking we were on about Ralf's brake duct episode when he was back at Williams.

It's still relevant though.Ralf gets punished for something that was so obviously his teams mistake.Only in his case he did get benefit from it.