Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 23 Feb 2010, 17:52 (Ref:2639210)   #776
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox89 View Post
The same article appeared in Racecar Engineering

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/n...a-1-teams.html

I liked the bit about the Serbian vultures picking the bones of Toyota on its death bed.
Old 23 Feb 2010, 18:01 (Ref:2639216)   #777
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
The same article appeared in Racecar Engineering

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/n...a-1-teams.html

I liked the bit about the Serbian vultures picking the bones of Toyota on its death bed.
but the money brought in by selling the f1 carcass to the vultures will have brought a lot of accelerator pedals...!
Old 23 Feb 2010, 20:53 (Ref:2639318)   #778
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
On the contrary, I would rather see teams who are in the sport for racing, not promoting their brands. Sure, losing BMW, Toyota and Honda does perhaps make F1 lose some of its grandure but as I said, I would rather F1 be full of teams who want to be there and aren't being dictated to by some greedy board who are just waiting to pull the plug then times get tough.
Well said, I totally agree.

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 23 Feb 2010, 21:10 (Ref:2639326)   #779
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sodemo, I just read a Mosely speech to constructors from "04, and I believe yours are the same sentiments.
Old 23 Feb 2010, 21:54 (Ref:2639345)   #780
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide View Post
It'll be a shame if USF1 don't ultimately make it, but the attitude of some fans and news websites has been against them from the start, with the maximum negaitve spin put on every announcement. No wonder investors have got edgy after that kind of spin.
I have to disagree. For those F1 fans in the US, there was positive support. The problem was that in the past couple of months there was nothing to show the public and that made fans nervous. Meanwhile, teams are launching their cars, and USF1 kept things very secret.

It's only in the past 2 months or so that support has waned, but only because there was nothing to actually support.

Americans know when they are seeing smoke-and-mirrors.
Old 23 Feb 2010, 22:01 (Ref:2639351)   #781
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Some more USF1 news...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81664
Old 23 Feb 2010, 22:07 (Ref:2639355)   #782
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar7605 View Post
I have to disagree. For those F1 fans in the US, there was positive support. The problem was that in the past couple of months there was nothing to show the public and that made fans nervous. Meanwhile, teams are launching their cars, and USF1 kept things very secret.

It's only in the past 2 months or so that support has waned, but only because there was nothing to actually support.

Exactly. The maximum negative spin started when USF1 started breaking promises and not fulfilling expectations. Before that, there was maybe healthy skepticism, but not much more than with any of the new teams.
Old 23 Feb 2010, 22:14 (Ref:2639360)   #783
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nah, there's always been more on US F1. Maybe from some people because of nationality, but I know I was sceptical 1) because of Windsor's past record, 2) because they were starting from scratch, and 3) because when it was announced, there was no budget cap so it seemed unrealistic that a team could be competitive on such a small budget

But it does seem that Hurley isn't going to Campos
Old 24 Feb 2010, 00:23 (Ref:2639419)   #784
vin13
Rookie

United States
Austin, Texas
vin13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar7605 View Post

My sentiment exactly.
Old 24 Feb 2010, 00:59 (Ref:2639439)   #785
deletraz
Rookie

United States
Phoenix, AZ
deletraz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
Nah, there's always been more on US F1. Maybe from some people because of nationality, but I know I was sceptical 1) because of Windsor's past record, 2) because they were starting from scratch, and 3) because when it was announced, there was no budget cap so it seemed unrealistic that a team could be competitive on such a small budget

But it does seem that Hurley isn't going to Campos
I'm curious -- what's Windsor's "past record" that makes you skeptical? He's a former General Manager at Ferrari, Team Manager at Williams when they were winning championships, and has since been a journalist covering the races with extremely good access. Seems to me he's in a very good position to know how to run a successful team. Am I missing something?

I certainly think he could be accused of overselling the USF1 project early on. I think he may well have believed that they would be on solid financial backing at the time, but the early insistence that they would have two young American drivers seemed somewhere between dubious and impossible at the time.

It seems the insider reports on the trouble are laying the blame squarely at Ken Anderson's feet.
Old 24 Feb 2010, 01:55 (Ref:2639462)   #786
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
I know I was sceptical 1) because of Windsor's past record
He didn't release those dodgy records, that was Sting.

I'm badly referencing F1Digtal+ jokes, time for bed me thinks...
Old 24 Feb 2010, 04:07 (Ref:2639499)   #787
pdxracefan
Racer

United States
Oregon
pdxracefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

What a fickin' mess...
Old 24 Feb 2010, 07:38 (Ref:2639533)   #788
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the problem with this scenario is a w****r car salesman from Silicon Valley, who knows F*** all about racing, is advising the CEO of You Tube. WTF? Just because he sold him a few Ferrari's?

I met Parris Mullins at Infineon a few times and he is a complete d-bag, who talks a lot of sh*te and doesn't know anything about racing.
Old 24 Feb 2010, 08:30 (Ref:2639545)   #789
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deletraz View Post
I'm curious -- what's Windsor's "past record" that makes you skeptical?
Involved in the aborted Ikuzawa project; involvement in Brabham where he hitched up with a fraudster and then tried to buy the team himself with Greg Norman...that kind of stuff

The impression I get is he's either clueless about F1 team management or incredibly naive. Or both
Old 24 Feb 2010, 11:16 (Ref:2639621)   #790
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiorentina 1 View Post
I think the problem with this scenario is a w****r car salesman from Silicon Valley, who knows F*** all about racing, is advising the CEO of You Tube. WTF? Just because he sold him a few Ferrari's?

I met Parris Mullins at Infineon a few times and he is a complete d-bag, who talks a lot of sh*te and doesn't know anything about racing.
Not a fan then!

If I was Anderson or Windsor I would consider the Autosport piece total condemnation of my work, if you like it is a vote of "no confidence" and new management is needed to get things back to something like a team effort but you can't do that without money
Old 24 Feb 2010, 12:13 (Ref:2639656)   #791
Javi
Veteran

Javi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
this is getting silly. According to this (put on hold, i don´t trust it that much), there was a meeting in madrid to merge USF1 and Campos into one team...

http://www.as.com/motor/articulo/for...asdaimot_6/Tes
Old 24 Feb 2010, 12:14 (Ref:2639658)   #792
Javi
Veteran

Javi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
crash.net as well into this

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/157120/...f1_merger.html
Old 24 Feb 2010, 12:23 (Ref:2639668)   #793
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
The yankees can't put a F1 team together. Being ridiculed isn't lethal but it's time to stop this joke. There's people in waiting list.
Old 24 Feb 2010, 12:40 (Ref:2639680)   #794
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh dear. Another nail in the coffin...

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/157138/...irms_exit.html
Old 24 Feb 2010, 13:10 (Ref:2639699)   #795
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They had a sponsor?
Old 24 Feb 2010, 13:12 (Ref:2639703)   #796
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregc View Post
Oh dear. Another nail in the coffin...

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/157138/...irms_exit.html
I think that is just the public announcement of what has already happened. We just didn't know who the sponsor was that backed out. I tend to believe the details in the Autosports article post earlier. I think that is the most informative and reliable peek we have had so far into what has gone wrong.
Old 24 Feb 2010, 17:01 (Ref:2639825)   #797
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
autosport are reporting that charlie whiting is heading over to charlotte to kick the back door in and have a look round to ascertain whether they have any hope of making it this year.....

sounds like USF1 are running on borrowed time right now!
Old 24 Feb 2010, 17:06 (Ref:2639832)   #798
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Link

Hopefully it'll go better than the last inspection. Load of good that did
Old 24 Feb 2010, 17:14 (Ref:2639839)   #799
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Rather than just reading the US F1 thread on tenths.
Old 24 Feb 2010, 17:32 (Ref:2639845)   #800
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Indeed

I honestly wouldn't be surprised at this stage if they actually do give them a 4 race grace period. Not because they genuinely think they can make it, but:

1) To save face after the entry selection

2) To stop the unclean Stefanovic getting into the untainted gentlemen's club that is F1 - if they don't tell US F1 they won't make it, US F1 won't sell their entry to Stefan GP, will they?