Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 2 Jan 2003, 05:37 (Ref:461834)   #51
Dauntless
Racer

United States
San Francisco Bay Area
Dauntless should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by RacingManiac
...changing the reg to move away from flatbottom car.....
And a move that I wholeheartedly approve of, too!
Old 2 Jan 2003, 05:39 (Ref:461835)   #52
RacingManiac
Racer

RacingManiac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know, it sure sounds interesting, but the idea of a spec undertray certainly is kinda odd....
Old 2 Jan 2003, 06:00 (Ref:461838)   #53
Dauntless
Racer

United States
San Francisco Bay Area
Dauntless should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, I'm not too thrilled about the spec aspect of it, either, but at least they're abandoning the flat bottoms. And if they design it right, it'll cure most of the shortcomings of the flat bottom without getting everyone into a money spending frenzy to produce sucker cars.

Anybody got a handy link that shows ACO's proposed design?

TIA! Stan
Old 2 Jan 2003, 20:49 (Ref:462280)   #54
C_g
Racer

C_g should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anybody know if the new LMP regulations will have any language specifying minimum and maximum wheelbase and overhangs?

In 2000, because of the Mercedes incident the previous year, the ACO and FIA mandated maximum overhangs as a percentage of wheelbase.

This change was because they though the reason the Mercedes had flipped had something to do with overhangs being too large.

Later, Caddy found that their long-wheelbase R&S car with short overhangs was more pitch-sensitive than the shorter-wheelbase 2002 car. The larger the flat area due to the long wheelbase made the car more pitch-sensitive apparently.

Needless to say, those regulations introduced in 2000 didn't stop cars from flipping (BMW, Lola, etc). So will this language in the regulations be removed now?
Old 2 Jan 2003, 21:23 (Ref:462294)   #55
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.lemans.org/sport/pdf/2003...S_PROTO_GB.pdf

Article 3.1.3
Old 2 Jan 2003, 21:25 (Ref:462297)   #56
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
The '04 regs state the max front overhang to be 1000 mm and the max rear overhang to be 750 mm. Wheelbase is now free, max length is still 4650 mm. No longer is there a formula relating overhangs to a percentage of the wheelbase. I imagine the response will be longer wheelbased cars to get the wing out as far from the greenhouse/open cockpit utilizing the maximum rear overhang. But then again, take this with a grain of salt. These are draft reg. dimensions.

I emailed the ACO as to when we might see the '04 regulations. The asnwer, confusingly was, email us again in November '03. It had been rumored that the regulations would be publically released in early December '02 after the World Council Meeting. Of course, those working on '04 challengers all ready have the regulations in their hands.
Old 2 Jan 2003, 21:27 (Ref:462299)   #57
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
the above link is to the '03 chassis regulations which are essentially unchanged from '02.
Old 2 Jan 2003, 21:29 (Ref:462302)   #58
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
hey, we're the lowly public. We're always the last to know.:
Old 4 Jan 2003, 01:22 (Ref:463283)   #59
ZXKawboy
Rookie

ZXKawboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hm..quite a remarkable series of posts here. Starts with a mild flame-war that I didn't bother to read all the way through, and ends with this nice bit of information I didn't have before.

Guess things could have been worse.

And incidentally, having worked for a company that built and developed race cars (albeit SCCA cars) I have a few comments to make.

One; Rules are rules, and everybody is subject to them If a team is caught out for cheating, they'll be dealt with.

Two; What defines a "purpose built race car"? The Audi R8 is one hot piece of machinery (as a mechanical engineer, I think I'm mildly qualified to state that) But by the same token, so is a ProDrive Subaru Rally Car, as is a Formula Ford racer. The point is, each of these different genre' of "car" is most definitely built for one purpose....competition. So the DSP's aren't exactly the prettiest cars out there...(personally, I love the looks of'em!) big deal. Dave Klym (and the rest) are confident in the car's capabilities.

Those capabilities are for competition. Period, Dot, End.

AS far as comparing the R8 with Fabcar's latest creation..why? They're not built for the same series. They're not intended for side by side competition. The DSP series, *first and foremost* is intended to reign in the ever-escalating costs of racing sports cars.

To that end, the construction of these cars *must* be monitored, in order to contain costs. If given free reign, tho who knows *what* we'd see on the grid? R8's with rooflines? Or maybe a Courage, done up coupe' style? That's an expensive option, and one that todays racing teams can't quite afford.

So..next time you decide to go DSP bashing, please...take a second and think about why these cars came about?

And think about one more thing. Hurley Haywood...you know...the American who's won at LeMans, and Daytona practically more than any one else...has endorsed these cars. in fact..along with his company..Brumos Porsche...he's going to field a couple of cars.

Wouldn't it be nice to see #59 busting out in the horeshoe again?

Just my 50th of a buck.

Later, all

Last edited by ZXKawboy; 4 Jan 2003 at 01:24.
Old 4 Jan 2003, 01:50 (Ref:463293)   #60
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ZXKawboy
AS far as comparing the R8 with Fabcar's latest creation..why?
Thanks.