Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 25 Sep 2003, 21:32 (Ref:730191)   #1
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
today you're at...., oh again!

Which corners/posts do you seem to get put at a lot of the time?

Its supposed to be as fair and random as possible but of my 15 event's i've been at the Esses at Snetterton at least 5 times! and every other post at least once.

As i dont know all the names of corners can you say the Circut as well.
Old 26 Sep 2003, 07:06 (Ref:730481)   #2
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I guess in many cases the Chief Marshal tends to put marshals with particular experience at certain posts. This enables the smooth running of the post as the marshals know pretty much what to expect. It's not always the fairest or most popular move, but I can see the logic of the reasoning behind the decision.
Old 26 Sep 2003, 07:35 (Ref:730492)   #3
Garry Holmes
Racer

Garry Holmes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How do you then get the experience if you only end up at the same post all the time though.
Old 26 Sep 2003, 08:05 (Ref:730509)   #4
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
I guess in many cases the Chief Marshal tends to put marshals with particular experience at certain posts. This enables the smooth running of the post as the marshals know pretty much what to expect. It's not always the fairest or most popular move, but I can see the logic of the reasoning behind the decision.
As far as I can see this doesn't apply at Oulton Park/Anglesey, however, Flying Muppet with all his bits and MarshalGirl are the two to ask because they allocate respectively Observer and Incident there.

I do know that they try to ensure thst eveybody does every post during the season so that everybody knows what to expect at a particular post.

Old 26 Sep 2003, 08:17 (Ref:730513)   #5
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The flipside of this is that at some circuits some marshals want to do the same post with the same people and are not happy if they are moved elsewhere.

I think it's one of those no win can't please all of the people all of the time questions. It's something to flag (excuse the pun!) with the Chief Marshal, prefably in advance if you want to go or not to go somewhere in particular.
Old 26 Sep 2003, 08:22 (Ref:730517)   #6
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
I was once told by a marshal who visited the German GP one year, and was at the first corner. He got speaking to the observer-equivelent; and found out that over there they are posted to a post ad infinitum. This said marshal had been at the first corner for 15 years.
Moving over here, as a trainee, MarshalGirl is yet to put me on the same post twice (That's jinxed tomorrow then ); I'm gradually working my way round every post to get full experience of Oulton.
Old 26 Sep 2003, 08:43 (Ref:730540)   #7
Stevespurr
Veteran

Stevespurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can see reasons for staying and moving round the circuit if you do the same post all the time you get a feel for what happens there and where things are.
Old 26 Sep 2003, 08:46 (Ref:730543)   #8
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Over the years it's seemed to work in cycles for me.

Way back in the beginning, as a wee trainee, I saw a lot of the clearways bit at Brands (post 22, but predominantly 22a). Thanks to Dave Gilbert for a good grounding
Never saw post 3 or 4a. (paddock hill bend)
Moving on a couple of years saw me up at (Druids) post 6 a fair amount with dear old Norman Little, learned a bit more.
Somewhere over the years a season of bottom straight on post 8 predominated.
Finally as I reached the dizzying heights IOness, post 3/4a/5/6 seems to be common, but I'll go wherever and do whatever the chiefy wants.

I reckon it took me 10 years to do all of Brands Hatch's posts, and that includes the GP circuit. Some (thankfully) only once (eg 13 or 21) - bet thats me down for 21 tomorrow then
Old 26 Sep 2003, 08:47 (Ref:730544)   #9
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
The problem, as I see it, with being allocated one post depends entirely where it is. Taking Oulton, very few marshals would complain if they were put on Lodge week in-week out: you'll almost certainly have something to do. However, if people were put on Water Tower: well, I doubt they'd last the week in-week out!
Old 26 Sep 2003, 09:36 (Ref:730574)   #10
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm happy with the way we work at Oulton, Anglesey, and usually Donny.

I tend to get the same post at Mallory (Post 6)

I personally would pack marshalling in if I thought I was going to be with the same people on the same post, week in-week out!

A lot of the satisfaction I get from a race day, comes from working with a bunch of lads & lasses, some of whom I have never met before, and also knowing that I won't be on the same post as last week.
Old 26 Sep 2003, 11:47 (Ref:730666)   #11
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Don't know if this still happens, but all Donny ES marshals used to be given a little card in a wallet with the post numbers on.
At sign-on, Di would allocate and tick off the post number on your card......then you didn't do it again! When your card was full, you got a FREE PICK at whichever post you wanted.

(Don't tell anyone, but I used to cross off Post 21 myself (Dunlop Br) followed by posts 7, 12, 15, 26 and 33)

I'm sure Di became suspicious in the end!!

Mark
(Now ex ES member!)

Last edited by Mark Mitchell; 26 Sep 2003 at 11:47.
Old 26 Sep 2003, 11:50 (Ref:730673)   #12
scorch
Racer

England
scorch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see the main downside of keeping the same post is that . your post may not have gravel, a bridge, poor track visibility, spectators etc...
When you change posts then you become a more well rounded marshall.. (I know some more that others)

Also the same applies to the same people on post, you can learn quite a lot from hearing stories from other marshalls and then when you are faced with a similar situation you are more prepaired to deal with it..
Old 26 Sep 2003, 12:02 (Ref:730694)   #13
Bald Spot
Rookie

Bald Spot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Allocation I think depends very much on the club running the meeting. If the chief marshal knows you, then you have a fair chance of getting a (good / bad post - delete as appropriate!). Of course the main factor nowadays is the number of marshals. But personally I prefer to move around, so far this year; I have done half the posts at Brands, the Esses at Snetterton, 4 posts at Lydden and all over the place at Mallory! some good and some bad.

Of course knowing my luck, I will end up on Post 21 with Bodysnatcher this week-end
Old 26 Sep 2003, 12:05 (Ref:730697)   #14
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the 9 years I was marshalling I never did Deer Leap at Oulton Park.

Never done anything between Esses and Devils Elbow at Mallory in the same 9 years. Only ever seen those posts driving in and out of the circuit!

Same at Donington for the posts on the loop!
Old 26 Sep 2003, 12:06 (Ref:730701)   #15
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
It's nice when you go to a track for the first time and you get the best post. It's a nice gesture from the person(s) doing the allocations and it makes your efforts worthwhile - particually if you have travelled a long way.

Unfortunately at Oulton, this hasn't always been the case. I've known incident marshals come up from Kent for the day to be allocated to Water Tower

It's always worth mentioning to the person signing you on that, you've not been to the track before, and be a little cheeky and ask for a good post.....and you might come back again!!
Old 26 Sep 2003, 12:22 (Ref:730716)   #16
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Oberserver. Just seen the bottom of your reply.

Just found out about the sad loss of Robert Palmer
Old 26 Sep 2003, 16:11 (Ref:730952)   #17
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
It's one of those things. Adrian at Combe accidentally put me on Avon rise for a seris of meetings. It wasn't until I spoke up that the problem came to light. I think it's true you can't please all of the people all of the time. But the chief's don't stand a chance unless we speak up about what our preferences are.
Old 28 Sep 2003, 16:53 (Ref:732946)   #18
Nadine J Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford, Northwich
Nadine J Lewis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do try to be as fair as possible at Oulton Park!! I hope a few people will back me up when I say I have asked (nay, pleaded/begged) someone to do a straight bit I give them a decent spot next time. I do need reminding sometimes though. I think it works pretty well at Oulton to allocate on the day. Especially as I know that if I did it beforehand I'd only have to rip it up and start again on the day due to no-shows. I also always allocate the I.O.'s first. This then gives me a feel for how much experience is out there and where to put the novices (always try to give them an experienced I.O. and a decent spot too). Nice to hear people appreciate my efforts (especially as I don't always hear it at 8am on a Saturday!!).
Old 28 Sep 2003, 19:43 (Ref:733047)   #19
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I hate allocating people, for two reasons.

First, you can't please everyone. All venues have somewhere no-one really wants to go.

Secondly, you have to work on the fly. The list you start out with (enough marshals, the right I/Os, etc) is usually fiction by the time you get the no-shows who didn't tell you.

For last season, I've kept a record of everyone and where they were and tried to move them all around except where I've got specific requests. I'm soely tempted to put the no-shows on the worse posts at their next meeting though! I don't mind if there's apologies and I know you can't come, so a plea on behalf of everyone who has to do this job IF YOU CAN'T GO, TELL THE CHIEF MARSHAL AS SOON AS YOU CAN!

Last edited by Woolley; 28 Sep 2003 at 19:44.
Old 28 Sep 2003, 20:25 (Ref:733160)   #20
Ian Smith
Racer

England
Tamworth Staff's
Ian Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Only posts i didnt like were 7. & 17 at Donington, and those only because you had to climb ladders to get to them and I don't do ladders.One question I would like answered though, how come I only ever got 21 on sunny days and never when the wet was hising down?
Old 30 Sep 2003, 18:08 (Ref:735643)   #21
bacon sandwich
Racer

United Kingdom
basildon essex
bacon sandwich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
As you say Steve, I can see the logic but don't think it is very fair and we seem to be going back to the state where certain posts are out of bounds even before sign on waiting for the "regulars" to turn up. I understand you need to feel that your busy posts are in capable hands but it still needs to be alternated - there is too much of people getting a certain post week in week out and not giving anyone else a chance.

I seem to have done lots and lots of the Bombhole at Snetterton - I know it is coincidence as the teams move round but everytime I seem to go, my team are back at the Bombhole again.
Also Post 10 at Lydden seems to have become a regular this year- not that I am complaining as I enjoy doing it and each time I have had towrite less reports - culminating in none on Sunday - so something is going right!
I appear lately to be getting psychic - I think of a post before I get to the circuit and it has been happening that the first post I think of is the one I end up on. It has only failed me once in about the last 3 months - quite spooky really.
Old 1 Oct 2003, 06:57 (Ref:736272)   #22
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Drop me a PM with your predictions for tonights lottery numbers

Seriously though, you are right, people should be moved around and others given the chance to 'do' more posts.
Old 1 Oct 2003, 07:08 (Ref:736277)   #23
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems you organise things exactly the same way as I used to Woolley old chum...........

It seems to work pretty well tho eh ??

The best piece of allocation you did this year IMHO was the guy(sorry cant remember his name allthough I ought to )you put on top ess @ the last meeting.......
He seemed to do a perfectly good job and I didnt hear anyone make any remarks as to his performance but he was quite funny at times with regards to his radio comms as the poor bloke is afflicted with a stutter.........LOL
Old 1 Oct 2003, 09:52 (Ref:736415)   #24
aprescott
Racer

United Kingdom
At a computer in Hampsire!!
aprescott has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Post allocation

I can see the point of putting 'regular marshals' on more active posts, but going back to the days when I started being put on posts such as 11 and 12 on the long circuit at Brands was enough to turn my brain to mush!! I know these posts need to be covered but with dwidling numbers of new marshals i think everone should get a crack a the more active posts - such as 2 LOL
Old 1 Oct 2003, 16:57 (Ref:736893)   #25
Gizmo
Racer

Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi
Gizmo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not an easy one this...when I became Chief Marshal at Prescott it was in the dark days just after the untimely passing of our Chief Robin Davey. Robin always tried to rotate people around the posts even though on occasion, from an experience point of view, it would have been better to put others there who had only recently done that post. Rotating posts allowed more marshals to gain a wider experience and so IMHO would benefit the running of the hill in general.
I tried to follow this principle during my time as chief and I can tell you it is not an easy task, you couldn`t always get it right and sometimes peaple would be a little put out but at least they knew that they would get a fair chance at doing all the posts, this i think important when trying to encourage marshals and recruit new marshals. What they don`t want to see is a clique in place with no chance of joining in, if they do see this then they will go somewhere else.

That`s my ten pence worth for the time being