Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 3 Oct 2001, 17:58 (Ref:155423)   #1
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Mini Classic Safety recall

Just been sent this from Rover, might be of interest to some of you.

Quote:
A total of 5809 Mini Classics produced between August 1996 and January 1999 and registered in the UK are being recalled over a concern associated with the rear wheel bearings.

Some isolated reports have been received that identify the possibility of premature wheel bearing wear as a result of water ingress. Although such a condition would normally be detected during routine servicing, the recall is being instigated to minimise customer concern. If left unchecked, the issue could lead to failure of the bearing assembly, although related noise and vibration would make this easily detectable by the driver.

Owners of models in the affected VIN range are being informed by letter today and are requested to contact their local MG Rover dealership who will arrange for the rear wheel bearings to be replaced free of charge.

The recall has been organised in accordance with the 'Code of Practice' concerning vehicle safety issues drawn up by the Vehicle Inspectorate and the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders.
Old 11 Oct 2001, 21:36 (Ref:159353)   #2
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Has anyone here ever had a car recalled? and if so, what for? My parents Maestro (sorry Maisie!) was recalled due to a batch of faulty seat belt mountings back in 1985 (?) Anyone else?
Old 11 Oct 2001, 22:13 (Ref:159385)   #3
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yep. My Vauxhall Corsa was one of the ones which is affected by dodgy seat-runners. Apparently if you persist in sliding the seats back and forth for different drivers, the ratchet which holds the frame in the runners fails.

As the seat on my car hasn't been moved from its position in 40,000 miles, it hasn't been high on my list of priorities. I suppose I'd better get around to getting it done.

At work, I've just had to send several dozen letters out to franchise dealers about their courtesy cars - not the brand which we actually sell, but the lesser machines which are purchased as emergency vehicles for customers who need to remain mobile.

Just a thought - Austin/Morris/BMC/Leyland/Austin-Rover were able to build "classic" Minis for 40 years without making a balls of the wheel bearings. Wonder what the uber-efficient BMW got wrong....
Old 12 Oct 2001, 08:03 (Ref:159533)   #4
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The time period of cars affected by the recall co-incides with the addition of the 13" 'Sportspack' wheels to the Mini...