Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 27 Aug 2008, 19:44 (Ref:2276492)   #26
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hmm...
just a thought.
That aero is beyond GT3...
the new regs are looking to be 500HP ish and GT1 aero...
maybe?
Old 27 Aug 2008, 19:47 (Ref:2276495)   #27
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Stéphane Ratel gets often criticized but with GT3 he hit the bullseye.
Old 27 Aug 2008, 19:54 (Ref:2276503)   #28
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMUCarGuy
I'm definitely starting to warm up to the idea of GT3 cars becoming the new GT2 cars or sorts.
I truly like the diversity of Marques in the GT-3 field! But I truly hate the idea of a class that is 18 to 20 seconds a lap slower (Monza) than the current GT-2's, FIA-ACO respectively, coming to the ACO led series grids. If the GT-3's can be brought up to a speed, that would be equal to the current GT-2's, taking the range of adjustment by the ACO into account (say about 15 seconds faster) then it would be great! But the current pace of the GT-3 class creates to large a differentiation with P-1 IMO to be a safe addition to the ACO's grids!

L.P.
Old 27 Aug 2008, 20:01 (Ref:2276508)   #29
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
I truly like the diversity of Marques in the GT-3 field! But I truly hate the idea of a class that is 18 to 20 seconds a lap slower (Monza) than the current GT-2's, FIA-ACO respectively, coming to the ACO led series grids. If the GT-3's can be brought up to a speed, that would be equal to the current GT-2's, taking the range of adjustment by the ACO into account (say about 15 seconds faster) then it would be great! But the current pace of the GT-3 class creates to large a differentiation with P-1 IMO to be a safe addition to the ACO's grids!

L.P.
18 to 20 seconds slower? At Monza their are around 4 seconds slower.
Old 27 Aug 2008, 20:08 (Ref:2276511)   #30
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

L.P.
No way dude, they're not 18 seconds a lap slower than GT2s...

Maybe 18 seconds a lap faster than LMP1s...
Old 27 Aug 2008, 20:27 (Ref:2276526)   #31
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You are right. My bad! The info I used was tainted because the "later the No.28 Marc Sourd Corvette went almost two seconds quicker with a lap of 2:08.818" that I used as a referrence was in the wet, unobserved by me. I have found that they were only 7 and 8 seconds back from the FIA and LMS GT-2's respectively later in the practice sessions. But their pace still needs a little adjustment, but at that differentiation it is much more realistic to gap it and maitain the spirit of the class.

L.P.
Old 27 Aug 2008, 20:44 (Ref:2276536)   #32
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
GT3 is an awesome class right now.
Old 27 Aug 2008, 20:52 (Ref:2276542)   #33
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimangler
GT3 is an awesome class right now.
Mostly. I hate what the SRO has done to the Belcar-series. They had huge and diverse grids just four years ago, but now it's mostly GT3 and GT4 and most of the Bi-Turbo-Porsches and the Killer-M3s are gone. They also did away with the 125minute race format and replaced it with the regular GT3 2x1h races.
Next year they'll even lose the 24hrs of Zolder, but maybe that's a good thing. 27cars aon the grid of a 24hr event are just embarassing.
Old 27 Aug 2008, 20:54 (Ref:2276544)   #34
vorsprung
Veteran

vorsprung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You are right. My bad! The info I used was tainted because the "later the No.28 Marc Sourd Corvette went almost two seconds quicker with a lap of 2:08.818" that I used as a referrence was in the wet, unobserved by me. I have found that they were only 7 and 8 seconds back from the FIA and LMS GT-2's respectively later in the practice sessions. But their pace still needs a little adjustment, but at that differentiation it is much more realistic to gap it and maitain the spirit of the class.

L.P.
In Osherscleben qualifying Thomas Mutsch was 2.2 seconds behind Bruni's GT2 pole time. This year both Monza and Silverstone qualifying sessions were affected by weather. Last year in Monza Klaus Ludwig was only 1.2s slower than GT2 pole.
Old 27 Aug 2008, 21:03 (Ref:2276550)   #35
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vorsprung
In Osherscleben qualifying Thomas Mutsch was 2.2 seconds behind Bruni's GT2 pole time. This year both Monza and Silverstone qualifying sessions were affected by weather. Last year in Monza Klaus Ludwig was only 1.2s slower than GT2 pole.
But that extra 1.2 seconds is a lotta money's worth...
Old 27 Aug 2008, 21:06 (Ref:2276553)   #36
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Aslak Vind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I knew for some time, that this R8 was coming. But it is the first time I have seen it. And I think it looks very, very naughty!

Still we have the issue about the powerplant, but I cant wait to see it being raced with Frank behind the wheel
Old 27 Aug 2008, 21:08 (Ref:2276555)   #37
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Quote:
Exactly, it is still that ageold issue!
Old 27 Aug 2008, 21:27 (Ref:2276562)   #38
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslak Vind
Still we have the issue about the powerplant
The slide blades are very similar to those of the V10 test car.
Old 27 Aug 2008, 21:27 (Ref:2276563)   #39
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Some extra info on from: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/70098
Quote:
Audi say it will not be a works project, but that partner teams will help to develop and then race the car. It is rumoured that Abt, who took Audi into the DTM, will lead the programme.

Ullrich admitted that a GT1 version of the car was unlikely, but did not rule out developing a GT2 model in the future.
Old 27 Aug 2008, 21:39 (Ref:2276565)   #40
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Basically saying, that this monster is going into the new GT1 class after 2010..?
Old 27 Aug 2008, 21:47 (Ref:2276569)   #41
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
Quote:
Basically saying, that this monster is going into the new GT1 class after 2010..?
*COUGH*

I haven't already said it.
Old 27 Aug 2008, 23:34 (Ref:2276605)   #42
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
More like the same type of events that happened back in late 90's, with the elimination of BPR-based GT-1 cars and the assention of GT-2 as the replacement category.

Another 'correction' comming?...

GT-2 = GT-1

GT-3 = GT-2

trust me on this one.

Last edited by veeten; 27 Aug 2008 at 23:41.
Old 27 Aug 2008, 23:49 (Ref:2276608)   #43
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Wow. That looks awesome. Yes I'll take one in matte black too please.
GT3 keeps going from strength to strength, they may not have the speed of the GT1+GT2 classes but the variety of marques makes up for it.
Old 28 Aug 2008, 07:53 (Ref:2276728)   #44
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I disagree, the whole point of GT3 is they are balanced, hence why the R8 can run such a huge wing compared to other cars in the class.

If a car is heavy, they compensate with increased power, i.e. the Viper, and so on.

If the FIA wished to make the cars 2 seconds a lap quicker, it would be relatively simple, but the manufacturer's would have to accept these continual adjustments if GT3 graduated to Le Mans etc. Performance balancing is fine in current GT3 series, but if a Le Mans class win was at stake, how much *****ing and politics would we see.

Last edited by JAG; 28 Aug 2008 at 07:58.
Old 28 Aug 2008, 11:31 (Ref:2276806)   #45
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Performance balancing is fine in current GT3 series, but if a Le Mans class win was at stake, how much *****ing and politics would we see.
WTCC-like, and thats not good for anyone...
Old 28 Aug 2008, 12:03 (Ref:2276822)   #46
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheFanNo1
WTCC-like, and thats not good for anyone...
I am no GT3 expert, but I am really enjoying the British GT! Isnt there some learning to be done there? Or?
Old 28 Aug 2008, 12:29 (Ref:2276841)   #47
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
Quote:
I am no GT3 expert, but I am really enjoying the British GT! Isnt there some learning to be done there? Or?
About how to **** off an entire field, and lose half the entries?
Old 28 Aug 2008, 12:58 (Ref:2276859)   #48
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
In GT3 performance balancing works but I agree that this should not be implemented in GT1/GT2.

Quote:
British GT = GT3. British GT is organised by Ratel so I assume it uses the same regulations as FIA GT3.

I have seen the first few races of this season and I like it. Did the series lose a lot entries?

Last edited by FIRE; 28 Aug 2008 at 13:01.
Old 28 Aug 2008, 18:07 (Ref:2276979)   #49
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If GT3 graduated to one of the major series, you'd need a more scientiic way to balance the cars, some firmer regs, and a commitment from manufactuers to stay well clear once they've released a car to market, at least until the following years model is due.
Old 28 Aug 2008, 18:47 (Ref:2277006)   #50
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have they still not confirmed whether it is V8 or V10?