Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

View Poll Results: Who's going to win it?
Lotus 3 2.27%
Rebellion 3 2.27%
Porsche 23 17.42%
Audi 59 44.70%
Toyota 44 33.33%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21 Apr 2014, 08:56 (Ref:3396105)   #801
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcl123 View Post
Picture of the day...

don't move honey ... the #7 winner is coming

Flashers wear hi viz these days?

How considerate.....

(I'm joking-in all seriousness that's most gentlemanly of him)
Old 21 Apr 2014, 09:03 (Ref:3396109)   #802
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well that was a great weekend, overall weather was good and racing brilliant, meet just about everyone i know who was there at various points during the 3 days and had a great time.
Only bad point was the freezing cold wind while we were in club grandstand at the beginning of the main race.
thanks to james for organising the curry on saturday night and good to meet all those that said hello, sorry if i did miss anyone and see you all at Le mans
Old 21 Apr 2014, 09:34 (Ref:3396120)   #803
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hybrid tyres

In this article (fr), E-I reports that Toyota decided to change the tyres to wet on the #7 and to new hybrid tyres on #8 which then was lapping five seconds faster than its sister car. Audi stayed on slick tyres during the period of light rain.
E-I also explain that the hybrid tyre, which looks like a slick, is confidential and still in development.
Old 21 Apr 2014, 10:34 (Ref:3396141)   #804
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
To be fair, Brabs is a citizen of the world ...
Old 21 Apr 2014, 11:05 (Ref:3396151)   #805
naca
Racer

naca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Well I just saw a brief 30 second coverage of Webbers debut on one of the nightly news programmes, good to see some coverage-poor old Brabs didn't get a mention here in Australia after he won with Peugeot in 2009 .

Ignorance is bliss isn't it.....
I remember Brabham's win getting a mention on the news here in Australia when he won. The major stations generally have reported who won the LM24 to the great unwashed every year. Although I believe this was probably the first time a non LM WEC event has got some general coverage.
Old 21 Apr 2014, 11:17 (Ref:3396160)   #806
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

How considerate.....

Thanks for the advice. I'll tell the children that trench coat is out of fashion.
Old 21 Apr 2014, 12:42 (Ref:3396186)   #807
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I got the impression the Audis were quick but harder to drive, thus leaving them on slicks might not have been the best decision.

The Di Grassi car went so quickly he stood no chance. I was watching it, looked up to see the next car coming and in that instant it turned left and wasn't coming back. Similarly, Treluyer turned right so suddenly he was off before he had time to react.
Old 21 Apr 2014, 13:39 (Ref:3396214)   #808
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

How considerate.....

I, as a marshal, can see the funny side of this too!

But in all seriousness, a couple of the girls were on the verge of hypothermia and all the grid marshals were helping the grid girls as best they could. A couple did have to leave the grid before their duties ended, so it must have been bad.
Old 21 Apr 2014, 14:53 (Ref:3396240)   #809
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well i can tell you we were all wrapped up in Club grandstand and frooze, the wind just cut into you so what it must have been like for those girls i can not imagine.
Old 21 Apr 2014, 15:21 (Ref:3396250)   #810
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemonium View Post
Can anybody find out the number of spectators on track and on the stream?
Have read somewhere that it was 43,000 at the circuit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentley speed 8 View Post
I think so too, but they also had some bad luck, especially in AM (fires, penalties, etc)
#51 also had a fire and penalty.

The pit walk was ridiculous. Having to fight through the group of people blocking the pit lane in front of the Porsche garage, and the queue when I walked towards Audi was nearly at the Start/Finish gantry (from Porsche). There was also quite a few people at the pit entry gate moaning because they got there just as they shut the gate with 10 minutes left.

The group of people blocking the pit lane decided to then block the paddock behind the Porsche P1 trucks.

I also thought it took the marshals a long time to clear the debris at Copse, there were numerous large gaps in traffic to clear the large pieces of bodywork. Also noticed a couple of laps before the safety car came in that one Aston nearly stopped at Copse, backing the pack up, it plus the car behind then drove off again at speed and the Aston behind them nearly stopped and went really slow all the way to Maggotts backing the pack up and then drove off at speed.
Old 21 Apr 2014, 16:13 (Ref:3396262)   #811
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbusA346 View Post
I also thought it took the marshals a long time to clear the debris at Copse, there were numerous large gaps in traffic to clear the large pieces of bodywork.
I'm guessing not much point in rushing and taking risks when it was clear the SC was going to take a long time to sort out the trailing pack. Couldn't see the clear up from where I was but I could see the SC troubles. Why, oh why can't we do this right in Europe?

Quote:
Also noticed a couple of laps before the safety car came in that one Aston nearly stopped at Copse, backing the pack up, it plus the car behind then drove off again at speed and the Aston behind them nearly stopped and went really slow all the way to Maggotts backing the pack up and then drove off at speed.
He backed them up all the way down the old pit straight too, no idea why. He was getting hand signals from the Ferrari following him. Our theory was he was slowing them down to allow his team mate to catch up.
Old 21 Apr 2014, 16:29 (Ref:3396270)   #812
hcl123
Veteran

hcl123 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
I got the impression the Audis were quick but harder to drive, thus leaving them on slicks might not have been the best decision.

The Di Grassi car went so quickly he stood no chance. I was watching it, looked up to see the next car coming and in that instant it turned left and wasn't coming back. Similarly, Treluyer turned right so suddenly he was off before he had time to react.
looking carefully at videos...

#2 had a previous spin on straight, #1 also went off not in corner but in acceleration on the finish straight (i think), #2 went off clearly yet on straight... tires ? probably helped... but i think there is more to it, that rear differential seems too sensitive for rain conditions, when grip conditions between track and non-track (track guides, different sections of track) are more acute.

funny #7 also had a spin but clearly on a corner... not counting with a "touch" between #2 Audi and #8 Toyota ( i think), clearly #8 fault, could had resulted in an ugly crash, both went off (luckily undamaged) ... but none penalty accrued (its open season for Audis, yet guessed how much of it played to increase the #2 instability)

So penalties will be only for fuel flow infractions ( uber stupid game)... so say it the greased oil lords... the rest you can do pretty much how you like it, specially if you are a petrol...
Old 21 Apr 2014, 17:03 (Ref:3396284)   #813
hcl123
Veteran

hcl123 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM View Post
In this article (fr), E-I reports that Toyota decided to change the tyres to wet on the #7 and to new hybrid tyres on #8 which then was lapping five seconds faster than its sister car. Audi stayed on slick tyres during the period of light rain.
E-I also explain that the hybrid tyre, which looks like a slick, is confidential and still in development.
Sounds like its an "exclusive"... yet all are on Michelin... how can it be "confidential" ?... preferential treatment ? ( i don't think so)
Old 21 Apr 2014, 17:07 (Ref:3396285)   #814
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Sounds like its an "exclusive"... yet all are on Michelin... how can it be "confidential" ?... preferential treatment ? ( i don't think so)
It's not an "exclusive", the tires have been in development for a couple of years now, but are STILL in development, that's why they're "confidential". The Audi that won at Spa a couple of years ago won because it used these hybrid intermediate tires, and at Le Mans last year both Audi and Toyota used these tires extensively with the rain that kept coming and going. Audi didn't use these tires yesterday because they f*cked up the strategy, both Toyota and Porsche used the slick intermediates on at least one car in the hour 1 rain shower.

EDIT: And the degree of confidentiality extends to the fact that the tires are "leased", Michelin take back for analysis every single tire of this specification after being used.

Last edited by Victor_RO; 21 Apr 2014 at 17:12.
Old 21 Apr 2014, 18:07 (Ref:3396309)   #815
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
In the ACO small video about tires, the guy of Michelin explains that they can develop specific tires for each manufacturer, but in order to avoid any advantage to one of them, they let each try all kind of these tires. So Audi can try the specific tires made for Toyota, etc.
As Victor_RO said, the "hybrid" tires are leased then taken away by Michelin after having being used because of confidential developments.
Old 21 Apr 2014, 18:30 (Ref:3396320)   #816
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM View Post
Wanted to highlight this. This split decision to have different tires is what had the #7 car fade back from the #8. It also led to the spin by Wurz. But now they know better for next time.
Quote:
looking carefully at videos...

#2 had a previous spin on straight, #1 also went off not in corner but in acceleration on the finish straight (i think), #2 went off clearly yet on straight... tires ? probably helped... but i think there is more to it, that rear differential seems too sensitive for rain conditions, when grip conditions between track and non-track (track guides, different sections of track) are more acute.

funny #7 also had a spin but clearly on a corner... not counting with a "touch" between #2 Audi and #8 Toyota ( i think), clearly #8 fault, could had resulted in an ugly crash, both went off (luckily undamaged) ... but none penalty accrued (its open season for Audis, yet guessed how much of it played to increase the #2 instability)

So penalties will be only for fuel flow infractions ( uber stupid game)... so say it the greased oil lords... the rest you can do pretty much how you like it, specially if you are a petrol...
What? Nakajima didn't touch the Audi. You must have missed the replays. He spun before coming near the Audi and the gt car. How are you going to penalize someone for spinning on a wet track?
Old 21 Apr 2014, 18:36 (Ref:3396324)   #817
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
What? Nakajima didn't touch the Audi. You must have missed the replays. He spun before coming near the Audi and the gt car. How are you going to penalize someone for spinning on a wet track?
For once I agree with TF110, the Toyota spun behind a GT car and the Audi went off in sympathy/avoidance, the cars were a few meters apart throughout the incident.
Old 21 Apr 2014, 18:51 (Ref:3396336)   #818
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I first thought they made contact, but there was no damage and Nakajima went in an awkward direction. Then saw the replay and they both ended up losing it there. Must have been the track.
Old 21 Apr 2014, 19:04 (Ref:3396347)   #819
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tarrant View Post
I, as a marshal, can see the funny side of this too!

But in all seriousness, a couple of the girls were on the verge of hypothermia and all the grid marshals were helping the grid girls as best they could. A couple did have to leave the grid before their duties ended, so it must have been bad.
It was very cold as this shot of the Porsche demonstrates:

Old 21 Apr 2014, 19:20 (Ref:3396357)   #820
sweetktg
Rookie

United Kingdom
Portsmouth
sweetktg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I also thought it took the marshals a long time to clear the debris at Copse, there were numerous large gaps in traffic to clear the large pieces of bodywork. Also noticed a couple of laps before the safety car came in that one Aston nearly stopped at Copse, backing the pack up, it plus the car behind then drove off again at speed and the Aston behind them nearly stopped and went really slow all the way to Maggotts backing the pack up and then drove off at speed.
The marshals were acting under the instructions from race control, who in turn were waiting for clearance to allow the marshals on track - once all the clearances were received the track was very quickly cleared. The driver was not helping matters who was determined to get his car back to the pits (even though it was clear from the start that it was in no state) & refused to follow the marshals instructions, then he proceeded to ignore them completely.

I won't repeat what we thought of that Aston driver, as he very nearly caused a serious accident with an LMP having to brake very hard when he came across the very slow queue of cars. We also assumed that he did that to allow his team mate to catch up.
Old 21 Apr 2014, 19:32 (Ref:3396367)   #821
sweetktg
Rookie

United Kingdom
Portsmouth
sweetktg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandicoot17 View Post
Got back to the car park and it was ankle deep by my car, I imagine there would have been a few areas on the track like that.
The track was indeed very wet on the national pit straight (which was from all accounts the drier part of the circuit) & that was before it rained even heavier as we were clearing up.
Old 21 Apr 2014, 20:08 (Ref:3396382)   #822
OldSinger
Rookie

OldSinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Reference the commets about the rain. This was Arena before the red flag. And the rain just got worse. Shame I had a long walk back to my car after the race stopped!
Old 21 Apr 2014, 20:22 (Ref:3396387)   #823
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Well I missed the entire race due to illness... made the 6:00 AM wakeup entirely impossible. Oh well, it looks like I didn't miss an exciting finish due to the rain. Congratulations to Toyota, and I hope we can see better action and less rain at Spa in two weeks time!

Hoping that someone will hurry up and upload the full race on YouTube. :/
Old 21 Apr 2014, 20:27 (Ref:3396392)   #824
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSinger View Post

Reference the commets about the rain. This was Arena before the red flag. And the rain just got worse. Shame I had a long walk back to my car after the race stopped!
Great shot !
Old 21 Apr 2014, 21:10 (Ref:3396417)   #825
Bandicoot17
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
Bandicoot17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It did get pretty dark too.