Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 16 Oct 2001, 11:05 (Ref:161368)   #1
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Possible new car

I'm looking into buying a new car (or refinancing, haven't decided) and what I've found is very little on the market here...but a new player is on the market.

The Contenders (and for some reasons I won't get them):

Renault Clio Sport - nice little car, main word being little. Too little for me to use, not to drive but everyday stuff.

Ford Laser SR2 - I've seen worse, but surprisingly cheap and nasty looking and feeling.

Maxda Astina SP20 - Same car mechanically as the Laser but amazingly a lot better due to different suspension, interior, etc. Not top of the shopping list but if I run out of other cars it is a possibility.

Proton Satria GTi - I didn't buy it last time either.

Nissan Pulsar SSS - doesn't exist yet, and if it ever does will be July next year at the earliest.

Holden Astra SRi - Looked the best until 1 day ago. Nice engine, good equipment list, but a viewing at the motor show showed some little niggles that I know will get to me. Things like the rear wiper blade cannot be lifted due to the wing getting in the way.

Subaru Impreza RS - This car is now top of the list. 2.5L engine from the Liberty/Legacy, though somehow lost 3kw. Equipment list similar to Astra and WRX interior.

Now all I need is to be able to afford it...
Old 17 Oct 2001, 09:57 (Ref:161868)   #2
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Re: Possible new car

Quote:
Originally posted by elephino

Renault Clio Sport - nice little car, main word being little. Too little for me to use, not to drive but everyday stuff.

Elephino,

The Renault sounds unbelievable performance wise, and all for $34,000, which is expensive for the size of the car but cheap for the hottest hot hatch. Just learn to shop more often and date shorter women.
Old 17 Oct 2001, 10:15 (Ref:161872)   #3
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But it's soooo small. My mum could wash the whole car (no mean feat considering her height). Price doesn't help either, the Subaru is stretching the budget to the limit I think.

Any other comments on any of the cars?
Old 17 Oct 2001, 14:49 (Ref:161988)   #4
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Well, I've just bought the RenaultSport Clio 1.6 16valve for £10,000 and it drives like a dream. Comes with everything on it, CD/radio, power steering, aircon, tinted glass, sunroof, electric windows, central locking, bucket seats, alloy wheels with low profiles. You name it the car has it, great value in my view.
Old 18 Oct 2001, 00:07 (Ref:162312)   #5
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've read and heard now to many times that the Renault Clio Sport - I assume you mean the mid-engined V6 bomb? - has a very dodgy handling due to the way too short wheelbase, to keep it on top of any list.

The Impreza is probably the best value for performance in most areas in the world, although the new one is quite a bit more expensive than the old one bringing it closer to other sporty cars. I am no fan of Turbo's though so I won't recommend that one to you. I like the high revs and the fluent power curves instead of the peaks, the bursts and the wobbles.

Any Honda R-types you thought of? Blistering, though torque-lacking, 8000+ rpm, really fast cars if you want to, economical if necessary as well. Active diff on the front gives really awesome handling too.

Or for rear wheel drive a s-h BMW M3 perhaps? A good one isn't scared of a lot of miles either so don't be afraid for that. Servicing around here is quite equal with most of the above so until you step up in the major league it's foreseeable.
Old 18 Oct 2001, 11:50 (Ref:162454)   #6
elephino
Veteran

Type-R too expensive (and we don't get the good one.
M3 too expensive, even second hand as we didn't get the early models.
The Impreza isn't the turbo. I can't afford the insurance
Old 19 Oct 2001, 23:00 (Ref:163111)   #7
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
if you're going for a fast car, good handling and a bit flash, i'd definitely look at the old body shape 325i. if you're lucky you'll find a m325. those things are amazing cars, if you find a well looked after one it'll go like a dream for all eternity so long as you service it when it asks for one.

as for the choices, if you're going for a renault clio, omg, have one. they are sooo cool i want one badly.
Old 8 Jan 2002, 12:06 (Ref:195401)   #8
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My brother in law has just bought a Holden Astra SRi and is absolutely in love with it.

The Impreza would probably be my pick though, ahead of the Astra and 323.
Old 9 Jan 2002, 09:36 (Ref:195905)   #9
elephino
Veteran

I can't remember if I actually mentioned it, but I did buy the Impreza RS and I'm very happy with it.

I've now put over 2,500km on it and only come across two problems. One is strange, it seems I have about 15L left in the fuel tank when the fuel light comes on. The other is a glazed clutch which will be replaced on Tuesday. Can someone explain what that actually means to me?

P.S. RS beat the Astra SRi in the latest Wheels magazine comparison
Old 9 Jan 2002, 11:20 (Ref:195934)   #10
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
I can't remember if I actually mentioned it, but I did buy the Impreza RS and I'm very happy with it.

I've now put over 2,500km on it and only come across two problems. One is strange, it seems I have about 15L left in the fuel tank when the fuel light comes on. The other is a glazed clutch which will be replaced on Tuesday. Can someone explain what that actually means to me?

P.S. RS beat the Astra SRi in the latest Wheels magazine comparison
Very good choice :- this was the car I recommendded to my daughter in Seattle. She, of course, goes snowboarding everyweekend, so that made the difference. Also, I think that the Subaru Impreza is one of the safer cars , and if you do drive up to Perisher or Thredbo, then you have certainly made the right choice.
As for hte light coming on when you have 15L left in the tank, you will know that you can drive for another 2 hours (steadily) to the next fuel pump.
I have always liked Subarus - in 1979, an Arab came right across an intersection in this huge truck in Rafah, and ran smack into the front left hand side of our stationary Subaru. For a moment, I thought we were goners. The car was too badly damaged to drive, but we both got out of the car without a scratch. So they already had progressive crumple figured out that long ago. And the AWD does make it much safer in greasy road conditions, not to mention snow and ice. The of course, you also have ABS. Great choice buddy, and a nice car.
Old 10 Jan 2002, 10:34 (Ref:196444)   #11
elephino
Veteran

I should point out the strange part is that the book says it should come on with 10L to go (and does on a friend's WRX). Oh well, as long as it is consistent it will be ok.

VB, I wouldn't buy a car these days without ABS. Cruise control to stop the police getting me, climate control for keeping cool, AWD to keep me gripping and it's just a great car to drive. I haven't really really pushed it yet (and can't with this clutch problem now anyway) but I'm still quicker around the back streets than my old car.
Old 10 Jan 2002, 10:45 (Ref:196447)   #12
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Just as a matter of interest, does the RS have a security system that imobilises the engine when the ignition key is not used?
Old 11 Jan 2002, 05:34 (Ref:196889)   #13
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
...The other is a glazed clutch which will be replaced on Tuesday. Can someone explain what that actually means to me?
A glazed clutch is when the clutch has been too hot... usually because of long-term slipping... and the flywheel face and/or the clutchplate and/or the pressure plate face have become glazed or very shiny.

They don't grip that well thereafter, and further glazing is the result...
Old 11 Jan 2002, 10:25 (Ref:196943)   #14
elephino
Veteran

VB, yes. It has one of the chip in the key things. Just means you should never lose the key, or you'll go broke replacing it.

Thanks Ray. I have since spoken to my normal mechanic and he said the same thing. I have noticed things are quite as good as it used to be when it should all be improving. Changing to second gear is not always the best thing in a Subaru and now if it is a little too rushed it won't go in so I'd say that is a result of it glazing further.

The reason the mechanic gave, as I have not done anything like long-term slipping or similar and the car has only gone 2,600km (and it was first noticed before 2,000km had been run) was that it was out of alignment initially. He also said to make sure they machine the flywheel and pressure plate as they said they were replacing the clutchplate.