Closed Thread

Old 29 May 2010, 13:17 (Ref:2700367)   #176
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
Quintin03 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Laguna Seca certainly is but Riverside was quite a different track. It had that long straight and was flat. Laguna Seca is quite hilly, the drop from the cork-screw is over 100 feet.
Now we're talking.
Old 29 May 2010, 14:56 (Ref:2700404)   #177
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
If I had the money, I'd rebuild the track here in Connecticut. I'd bulldoze all the land I'd buy, and rebuild it up to imitate EXACTLY how the topography was in California, and lay the tarmac down in EXACTLY the same layout. Banked Turn 9 and all.

Modernized facilities, and a place where grass actually gets green would make the track one of the best in the country...again.
while you are at, rebuild this one too, please, complete with the many high bank turns and all:
Augusta International Speedway
Aerial of Entire Facility

This is a facility that would make a race fan of any series happy. unfortunately, it was too ambitious; the road course was stupid fast due to the high banks and dangerous because of the speeds and the fact that the runoff areas were swamps, sand embankments and concrete walls. I believe Dave McDonald's last victory was at Augusta where he bested Jim Hall's Chaparral 2A in a King Cobra, nearly two months before his fatal accident at Indy.

i'm not sure this is financially feasible, but something like Augusta International could be considered for the Austin GP track design; not the high banks, which i think would be AWESOME for saloon car racing, but a multi-purpose facility with visions of a long LONG term plan would make sense to me. but any sacrifice to the GP circuit to accommodate something else would be a mistake.
Old 29 May 2010, 17:36 (Ref:2700471)   #178
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Speed interviewed Tavo Hellmund last night by phone and he is convinced that he has the funds.

If I am recall what he said correctly the circuit design is done as they have been working on this project for quite some time now....
Old 29 May 2010, 17:43 (Ref:2700476)   #179
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
while you are at, rebuild this one too, please, complete with the many high bank turns and all:

This is a facility that would make a race fan of any series happy. unfortunately, it was too ambitious; the road course was stupid fast due to the high banks and dangerous because of the speeds and the fact that the runoff areas were swamps, sand embankments and concrete walls. I believe Dave McDonald's last victory was at Augusta where he bested Jim Hall's Chaparral 2A in a King Cobra, nearly two months before his fatal accident at Indy.

i'm not sure this is financially feasible, but something like Augusta International could be considered for the Austin GP track design; not the high banks, which i think would be AWESOME for saloon car racing, but a multi-purpose facility with visions of a long LONG term plan would make sense to me. but any sacrifice to the GP circuit to accommodate something else would be a mistake.
That track is incredible.
Old 29 May 2010, 17:46 (Ref:2700479)   #180
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Speed interviewed Tavo Hellmund last night by phone and he is convinced that he has the funds.
So was Simon Gillett...
Old 29 May 2010, 18:03 (Ref:2700489)   #181
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
So was Simon Gillett...

Okay well we will see soon enough...
Old 29 May 2010, 18:07 (Ref:2700493)   #182
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Okay well we will see soon enough...
Any idea where the track is going to be located?
Old 29 May 2010, 18:24 (Ref:2700506)   #183
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Yes they are talking about where Highway 290 meets the new toll road which is 130.. to be built on seven hundred acres..

Or just north of Kyle which is south on IH35 about 10 miles from downtown and within easy reach of AFB ( Austin Bergstrom) our airport...

The facility is also to be used to develop new fuel technology...
Old 29 May 2010, 18:35 (Ref:2700511)   #184
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
For those of you who are interested the general feel of Austin is quite reminiscent of Adelaide Australia which I have visited a few times..I will be happy to arrange tours when you arrive for OUR race...

Wonderful city and great people, both places!
Old 29 May 2010, 18:49 (Ref:2700517)   #185
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Augusta Int'l
While we are at it I`d plead for Meadowdale Raceway too. But only if the Monza banking is included again
Old 30 May 2010, 03:14 (Ref:2700666)   #186
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
That track is incredible.
Augusta was quite incredible and at least they have made an effort to remember it. It will never be back though.
Old 30 May 2010, 03:16 (Ref:2700667)   #187
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
For those of you who are interested the general feel of Austin is quite reminiscent of Adelaide Australia which I have visited a few times..I will be happy to arrange tours when you arrive for OUR race...

Wonderful city and great people, both places!
Never thought about that comparison, but having been to both cities yes there is a similar feel I guess. Hard to put it into words.
Old 31 May 2010, 18:15 (Ref:2701919)   #188
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Mr Tilke can we please have a track like Turkey without the bumps though..
Old 31 May 2010, 19:17 (Ref:2701956)   #189
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
Quintin03 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We don't mind if it's better either. Please??? Give us Turkey with fewer slow turns. And make that of Turkey too.
Old 31 May 2010, 19:27 (Ref:2701971)   #190
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We don't want a turkey of a track.
Old 31 May 2010, 19:31 (Ref:2701974)   #191
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
We would like the best parts of the circuits you have designed, but keep the other bits Mr Tilke..No really slow corners thank you sir...Did I mention lot's of elevation change?

Last edited by JeremySmith; 31 May 2010 at 19:36.
Old 31 May 2010, 19:52 (Ref:2701995)   #192
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
We would like the best parts of the circuits you have designed, but keep the other bits Mr Tilke..No really slow corners thank you sir...Did I mention lot's of elevation change?
...and lots and lots and lots of elevation changes.

make it "stadium like"; Brands Hatch comes to mind. natural terrain, but still a stadium feel.
are there hills like that around Austin?
Old 31 May 2010, 19:58 (Ref:2702000)   #193
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Brands is great track. I saw some excellent races there, shame it will never host another GP.
Old 31 May 2010, 20:15 (Ref:2702014)   #194
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
...and lots and lots and lots of elevation changes.

make it "stadium like"; Brands Hatch comes to mind. natural terrain, but still a stadium feel.
are there hills like that around Austin?

Yes sir Austin is very hilly, it's a wonderful place, I very proud to live here..
Old 2 Jun 2010, 15:51 (Ref:2703290)   #195
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yes sir Austin is very hilly, it's a wonderful place, I very proud to live here..
Hehe, just realised this is big news for you Jeremy, considering your present location

...God I'm slow...
Old 2 Jun 2010, 23:05 (Ref:2703515)   #196
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyewat808 View Post
...God I'm slow...
join the club...

so, JS, what is terrain like around HWY 290 and 130?

and nothing confirmed on this location I guess?
Old 3 Jun 2010, 01:25 (Ref:2703559)   #197
fast95pony
Veteran

Canada
Calgary,Alberta,Canada
fast95pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Austin would be a nice road trip from Calgary....
Probably cheaper than going to Montreal too..

Howdy Texas !!

Old 3 Jun 2010, 01:35 (Ref:2703560)   #198
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
join the club...

so, JS, what is terrain like around HWY 290 and 130?

and nothing confirmed on this location I guess?

All the terrain around Austin ungulates or seems to..I will try and find out what I can even if I have to go to city hall.. I will keep you all updated with any *real* news as soon as I hear it...

When I first came to Austin Rick Perry our governor walked up to me in a Mexican restaurant, I should have kept that number, darn it...
Old 3 Jun 2010, 02:24 (Ref:2703575)   #199
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
So, you never know, we just might get track with elevation changes, and possibly turns dictated by the landscape? Oh, my....

I better not get too excited: they might decide it would be innovative to totally remodel the track area to be flat as pancake, so it can stand in stark contrast to the surrounding area. Yeah, that sounds funky and chic.

OK, Mr Tilke, if you can wangle it from Bernie, can you see if you can avoid chicanes. Not even one chicane (or, if there MUST be one, then make it a good one! You know, like how the Corkscew is a good one). Also, yeah, no pointlessly fiddly bits at the end which do a great disservice to the rest of a (hopefully) really quite decent track (I am thinking the nasty final part of Turkey).

I totally understand you are pretty limited by some crappy design parameters, but a decent attempt can be made I am sure. Oh, and, please, if it can be done, please don't have the track surrounded by a mile-and-a-half of tarmac!

If you could work out a stonking turn like T8 of Turkey, well, that would be sweet. I am not saying make a copy of that turn, as such, but just that it really was a fine job. Something of the same coolness factor of that corner would be tremendous.
Old 3 Jun 2010, 17:11 (Ref:2703960)   #200
Whosyermon
Rookie

United States
The Oil Coast of Florida
Whosyermon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will the title U.S.G.P. be up for grabs again once Texas secedes?
Closed Thread