Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Apr 2005, 11:38 (Ref:1284997)   #1
im8457
Rookie

im8457 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RBR/Ferrari (merged)

Well Ferrari will supply BRB next year. My first concern is for Cosworth, I hope they stay in F1.
Old 23 Apr 2005, 11:44 (Ref:1285007)   #2
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where was this announced?

Was there any mention of the number of teams that Ferrari believe they will be supplying next year (other than Ferrari themselves)?
Old 23 Apr 2005, 11:46 (Ref:1285009)   #3
im8457
Rookie

im8457 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=83806

It didn't say anything about any other teams.
Old 23 Apr 2005, 11:47 (Ref:1285010)   #4
Fantasy GP610
Racer

Fantasy GP610 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's just been announced during the commentary during quali on ITV (the UK TV station).

Red Bulls with Ferrari engines
Old 23 Apr 2005, 11:57 (Ref:1285022)   #5
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
so sauber probably will get beemers . if Midland stays with Toyota i don't see cosworth next year in Formula 1

Ciao Marco
Old 23 Apr 2005, 12:04 (Ref:1285027)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Cosworth will be in with someone, definitely.
Old 23 Apr 2005, 12:05 (Ref:1285028)   #7
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So does this imply Red Bull will almost certainly be in the FIA/F1 camp with Ferrari, rather than the GPWC camp?

Sad if there is no room for Cosworth in F1, esp. with the return to the V8 engine format that made Cosworth famous, but RBR have to do what's best for RBR.
Old 23 Apr 2005, 12:15 (Ref:1285036)   #8
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Cosworth will be in with someone, definitely.
Well I doubt Ferrari will supply RBR and Midland, so I guess Midland will be looking at Cosworth now instead if they can't work something out with Toyota.
Old 23 Apr 2005, 12:41 (Ref:1285049)   #9
903cc
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg - Via Singapore & Australia
903cc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Red Bull Ferrari from 2006

Apparently announced at Imola today according to the Formula1 Website.

This is a shock to me. It is only a matter of time before Sauber announce a BMW deal. Will Cosworth continue if they are only to supply Minardi?
Old 23 Apr 2005, 12:57 (Ref:1285052)   #10
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
It is looking a bit bleak for Cosworth. Can they afford to develop a V8 just for Minardi? (Might as well give them a handful of old DFVs.)
Old 23 Apr 2005, 12:58 (Ref:1285053)   #11
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Someone might want to edit the title of this thread to read 'RBR' instead of 'BRB'. It puzzled me at first.
Old 23 Apr 2005, 13:37 (Ref:1285073)   #12
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Could someone please explain why RBR are doing this..I thought the V10 Cosworth had lots of power 900+ horspower, and that the V8 has dyno tested well? Does this mean goodbye Cosworth from F1?
Old 23 Apr 2005, 14:08 (Ref:1285092)   #13
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Minardi will surely use Cosworth power,and it could be that either Midland or Sauber will use Cosworth power too.The new V8 is reputed to be running at 20,000 rpm and giving in excess of 800 BHP!
Old 23 Apr 2005, 14:13 (Ref:1285098)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm surprised at this decision. Cosworth have great experience of V8's and I think they'll be one of the engines to beat next year. Is this a political decision as well as a racing decision? Ferrari will make a good engine but I can't see it being far and away better than the Cossie?

It'd be a shame if Cosworth's great work were confined to Minardi.
Old 23 Apr 2005, 14:25 (Ref:1285113)   #15
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They'd probably want to be sharing data as well.... something like what Sauber have with Ferrari right now... but with Sauber growing ever distant from Ferrari with the switch to Michies and the rumours of a switch to BMW growing...
it could be a good decision for a new team like RBR and Ferrari....
Old 23 Apr 2005, 14:26 (Ref:1285114)   #16
mixxer
Veteran

Australia
Somewhere over the rainbow
mixxer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I thought the Saubers would get the BMW if they (BMW) dont supply Williams.
Old 23 Apr 2005, 14:31 (Ref:1285124)   #17
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Cosworth may be happy just to use Minardi as a test-bed for next season.So long as they get paid for their engines they'll be happy to develop them for a year and then perhaps more takers will appear.Both Sauber and Midland (Jordan) have a history with Cosworth (Ford) neither have any F1 ties with BMW.
Old 23 Apr 2005, 14:31 (Ref:1285126)   #18
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The data sharing is an interesting one, however I don't think that will really be the motive here.

I can't see Red Bull building Ferrari clones or running Bridgestones like Sauber have done before. I think it will purely be an engine deal (possibly transmission as well) and no more.
Old 23 Apr 2005, 14:43 (Ref:1285137)   #19
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
probably RBR decision is also one of marketing . one thing to have Ferrari engine and another to have Cosworth .. a little more exposure . exactly what RBR are doing in F1

Ciao Marco
Old 23 Apr 2005, 15:18 (Ref:1285159)   #20
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wondered why the team were wearing red this weekend

It's an interesting move, from what they said on ITV a Ferrari powerplant is something Mateschitz(sp) has been after for next season
Old 23 Apr 2005, 15:43 (Ref:1285170)   #21
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm quiet disappointed that Cosworth will not be supplying anyone for next year, with the possible exception of Minardi. RBR has made it sound like it was a cost issue. It sounds like RBR had to pay Cosworth quiet a bit of money this year for their engines. I think it's a big mistake, I'm convinced if the smaller teams ganged up together they could get better engines from Cosworth than they could by getting "B" engines from manufacturers.

I can't help but remember back a couple years in the IRL. Cosworth designed a 3.5L V8 for Champ Car, which was the same displacement used by the IRL, but I believe the revs were different (thus one would expect it to be best under the initial design conditions). Champ Car ended up doing a U-turn on their specs, so Cosworth (Ford at the time) had this engine sitting around collecting dust. They made a deal with GM to brand it as a Chevy (GenIV)and introduced it 1/2-2/3 of the way through the IRL season. Cosworth's neglected garbage really embarrassed Toyota and Honda. My point? These guys can build great engines. I think they could really be benificial to the lesser teams.

Last edited by Snrub; 23 Apr 2005 at 15:51.
Old 23 Apr 2005, 16:19 (Ref:1285197)   #22
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
With RBR getting Ferrari engines and BMW likely supplying Sauber there is the possibility BMW and Williams part company Frank agrees to use Cosworth.

Or maybe that was just a dream I had.
Old 23 Apr 2005, 16:59 (Ref:1285216)   #23
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
ChampCars and IRL are one thing, F1 is quite another. The sheer cost of building and developing a winning engine for F1 is beyond what a now-independent companby can manage, whereas Sauber have done a lot of giant-killing with Ferrari cast-offs. RBR might even get up-to-date engines, or at least only one evolution behind - if the 6-race-engine rule comes in it's possible that they might get a new engine just as soon as the second Ferrari, if they have failures (and thus the entitlement to a new engine) at the right times. Add to that a massive cost saving and I'd say this is a good move from RBR.
Old 23 Apr 2005, 17:04 (Ref:1285221)   #24
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ok, so when do we see Liuzzi "testing" a Ferrari?
Old 23 Apr 2005, 21:50 (Ref:1285352)   #25
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
BRB = Be Right Back in internet parlance doesnt it?? It had me curious reading this subject title too....

Red Bull + Ferrari?

Sounds like a marketing coup, to provide a transient link to the sport's biggest brand.... I doubt the Faz powerplants are $1 cheaper than the Cosworth units...

... its all about the MARKETING.... isnt it...

And I dont think an exclusive Williams Cosworth would be the slug you may think... as long as it doesnt need a radiator out of a Kenworth truck to keep it running (ala the old Judds that required the engine cover to come off the car so it didnt overheat...)
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods