Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Jun 2006, 10:16 (Ref:1638964)   #1
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Renault power for RBR

RBR to be powered by Renault (and other stuff!).http://www.f1racing.net/en/index.php

Last edited by Marbot; 22 Jun 2006 at 10:21.
Old 22 Jun 2006, 10:27 (Ref:1638972)   #2
Halsey
Racer

Brazil
Tasmania
Halsey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lucky RBR. Possibly unlucky Heikki, if he was a serious contender for the final Renault seat. Using my immense powers of deduction, one would presume that Raikkonen will be driving for Renault next season. This calls for more silly season antics!
Old 22 Jun 2006, 10:32 (Ref:1638974)   #3
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't get it, are they suggesting heikki to Red Bull Racing or Toro Rosso?

and pretty damning stuff from berger about DC!

"Should Christian (Klien) be ahead of David (Coulthard) by the end of the season, then the Scot's days at RBR are definitely numbered," the ten-time Grand Prix winner said, adding: "After all, David is also getting a bit long in the tooth"
Old 22 Jun 2006, 10:45 (Ref:1638979)   #4
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Long in the tooth says the driver who was still racing at 37 years of age in 1997 with Benetton.

Didnt Gerhard even win the German GP in 1997 at age 37 ?
Old 22 Jun 2006, 11:04 (Ref:1638996)   #5
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Halsey This calls for more silly season antics![/QUOTE]

As you say this would appear to confirm lots more seats including Michael/Hamilton/Raikonnen/Kovalianen
Old 22 Jun 2006, 11:19 (Ref:1639003)   #6
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A bit of a hint that RBR aren't entirely satisfied with the package they've received from Ferrari. If only Red Bull had bought Cosworth, or at least their F1 operation...

What affect will this have on Newey's designs for the 07 car?

I personally just feel it's a boot up the bottom for Coulthard, as I see them keeping him for another year...

I'm pretty sure RBR won't let Montoya slip them by though, so this move, coupled with Heikki coming on-board as part of the package (allegedly), it'll be interesting to see who lands where. Plus, where will Liuzzi go? Will they leave him to continue heading the 'B' team...?
Old 22 Jun 2006, 11:46 (Ref:1639030)   #7
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interestingly, GrandPrix.com are reporting that the Renault engines may be Toro Rosso bound: http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns16996.html

To my mind it seems a little unlikely given I would have though that Renault engines would be a better bet than the alternative Cosworth engines. Also it would mean that this years Red Bull car would need significant modifications to accomodate a Renault unit, assuming that Toro Rosso continues to use cars based on Red Bulls. That said this scenario does have some logic to it regarding drivers; Coulthard remains at Red Bull, Liuzzi promoted to being his team mate, leaving a Toro Rosso seat for Kovaleinen alongside Speed.
Old 22 Jun 2006, 12:55 (Ref:1639090)   #8
Ryo28
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport, UK (and Leeds Uni)
Ryo28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper
Also it would mean that this years Red Bull car would need significant modifications to accomodate a Renault unit, assuming that Toro Rosso continues to use cars based on Red Bulls.
Will Toro Rosso be allowed to do this? I thought they could only use last years Red Bull because it was initially built by Jaguar who are no longer competing in F1. This is also the reason that Aguri have to use old Arrows chassis rather than last years BAR/Honda cars, AFAIK.

Would be strange if Toro Rosso got Renault engines and Red Bull didn't, uinless Red Bull secured some kind of works engine deal themselves.
Old 22 Jun 2006, 13:04 (Ref:1639099)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic quoting Berger
"Should Christian (Klien) be ahead of David (Coulthard) by the end of the season, then the Scot's days at RBR are definitely numbered," the ten-time Grand Prix winner said, adding: "After all, David is also getting a bit long in the tooth"
If you are beaten by a less experienced team-mate, it does usually mean your days are numbered, especially as in this situation Christian would have to come from several points down. In any case, Berger has no say in RBR hiring, and probably does not have inside information on this.
Old 22 Jun 2006, 13:13 (Ref:1639108)   #10
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, I think Boots is right on that. It seems strange that Berger would have weight in RBR decisions, pretty much the opposite is more likely.
Old 22 Jun 2006, 15:05 (Ref:1639159)   #11
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo28
Will Toro Rosso be allowed to do this? I thought they could only use last years Red Bull because it was initially built by Jaguar who are no longer competing in F1. This is also the reason that Aguri have to use old Arrows chassis rather than last years BAR/Honda cars, AFAIK.

Would be strange if Toro Rosso got Renault engines and Red Bull didn't, unless Red Bull secured some kind of works engine deal themselves.
I think they could provided that this years Red Bull is only the base for next years Toro Rosso, who then make some alterations to the design. As such the car could be said to be a Toro Rosso design, similar to examples by Sauber and Ligier in the past.

I'd agree it would be odd if Toro Rosso were to be get Renault engines, however, a case could be made that as a customer Red Bull would probably find it difficult to beat the works Renault team, so investing in Cosworth engines could result in a strong engine that can be designed to suit a Red Bull chasis. Whilst the purpose of Toro Rosso is to give their younger drivers experience, so results aren't the only objective and a customer Ferrari/Renault deal may be sufficient
Old 22 Jun 2006, 15:13 (Ref:1639165)   #12
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
RBR have consistently said since the beginning of the year that they expect Klien to be beating DC over the course of this season, which, at the moment, look unlikely, so it may be Klien who is headed for the discard pile.

I'd expect RBR to have the Renault engines and Toro Rosso the Ferrari ones, if there is indeed a 2-year contract in place with Maranello.
Old 22 Jun 2006, 15:23 (Ref:1639173)   #13
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi
Yeah, I think Boots is right on that. It seems strange that Berger would have weight in RBR decisions, pretty much the opposite is more likely.
Really? I see Berger with his driving background and BMW expereince as pretty influential in both Mateschitz's operations.
Old 22 Jun 2006, 15:47 (Ref:1639189)   #14
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Christian Horner said "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" when commenting on DC's future.

Since DC has been driving well since '05 and was vital in gaining Adrian Newey, I think he still has a lot to offer the team. I don't see him being replaced anytime soon.

Unless there is any truth to this Ferrari deal.
Old 22 Jun 2006, 16:58 (Ref:1639232)   #15
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Why would anyone want to buy a Ferrari engine that revs 500rpm less than it's capable of anyway.If i was Mr Mateschitz i'd want my money back!
Old 22 Jun 2006, 17:12 (Ref:1639241)   #16
Blaf
Rookie

Blaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone have new numbers on the different motors performances?
Old 23 Jun 2006, 11:04 (Ref:1639703)   #17
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi
He might not have any weight, but he is a good friend of one Herr Mateschitz.

It wouldn't be unheard of for someone like the good Doctor Red Bull to use a good friend to say things he couldn't be heard saying...
Old 24 Jun 2006, 20:15 (Ref:1640476)   #18
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Adrian Newey desinged car, Renault engines (??) and JPM driving it (???)
Old 24 Jun 2006, 20:16 (Ref:1640478)   #19
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I am clinging on to the dream!
Old 24 Jun 2006, 20:17 (Ref:1640479)   #20
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Me too, me too
Old 25 Jun 2006, 10:41 (Ref:1640752)   #21
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is the Renault motor that good?
I thought not, they have never been the best motor (since re-entering F1), best electronics, maybe, best chassis, no question.
I would have thought RBR and STR would be best served with the same motor, ie Cosworth, but then this could be a risk mitagation strategy
Old 25 Jun 2006, 10:58 (Ref:1640761)   #22
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notso Swift
Is the Renault motor that good?
At the moment it seems to be speaking for itself,or it could be the car,or the aero,or the drivers,or the tyres...who knows?

At least it seems reliable.
Old 25 Jun 2006, 12:22 (Ref:1640808)   #23
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Renault engine is a bloody stonking motor! One of the most powerful and the most reliable. Combine that with a pretty damn great chassis and the best driver in the world and you have an unbeatable combination...
Old 25 Jun 2006, 13:08 (Ref:1640831)   #24
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Renault have had zero engine failures in a race weekend this year. That's pretty impressive!