Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 16 Jul 2003, 12:42 (Ref:662753)   #1
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Alex Zanardi to ETCC?

SOURCE:WWW.FIATOURINGCARS.COM

Yesterday, in Misano Adriatico, Alessandro Zanardi drove a Ravaglia Motorsport BMW 320i. The Italian driver, who lost both his legs in an awful crash during a Champ Car race in Oschersleben on 15th September 2001, completed 27 laps of the racetrack near Riccione, including a 14-lap sequence, which is equivalent to the FIA ETCC normal race distance. At the wheel of the team’s third car, modified with a system built by Faidel for disabled drivers, Zanardi clocked his fastest lap in 1:42.90, which was 3.5 seconds slower than Fabrizio Giovanardi’s 1:39.43. Although it has to point out that the latter completed 60 laps in the 2003 car, while Zanardi was driving a 2001 former Super Production machine, upgraded to Super 2000 specs. “Times were not my priority;” Zanardi said. “We were rather focusing on setting the Faidel system up, in order to give me total control on the car. We have planned more tests and only when I will feel confident I will be looking for the lap times. My goal is to reduce the gap from Giovanardi to two tenths.” Before going to Misano, Zanardi had already drove the car in Adria for a few laps; he will be back in the BMW at Adria on August 28th. If this test will be positive, Zanardi might take the wheel of a third Ravaglia Motorsport car on the final meeting of the 2003 FIA European Touring Car Championship, to be held in Monza on October 19th. Which would be his comeback to car racing two years after his accident. In the picture: Zanardi at the wheel talks to team manager Roberto Ravaglia.

ETCC Media:

ENDS:/

This really would be a great boost to the championship if Zanardi does join the series, I have no doubt that he will soon be on the front running pace.
Old 16 Jul 2003, 13:12 (Ref:662794)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd love to see Zanardi back behind the wheel, especially inf ornt of his home crowd, even if it would jsut be a one-off. It sound slike he was on a good pace very quickly and has potential to improve further.
Old 16 Jul 2003, 15:38 (Ref:662940)   #3
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
that is so great to hear, you can't keep him down!
Old 16 Jul 2003, 20:35 (Ref:663274)   #4
Jimeth
Racer

Jimeth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
fantastic i think sums it up nicely
Old 16 Jul 2003, 20:43 (Ref:663283)   #5
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hm, etcc media schould know that it wasn't oschersleben
Old 16 Jul 2003, 20:45 (Ref:663285)   #6
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
To be honest though Im very suprised to hear that he is considering joining the ETCC and not the DTM. As the DTM is more for ex F1 drivers than the ETCC. Still Im not complaining, just noting that its going against the current trend...
Old 16 Jul 2003, 21:34 (Ref:663339)   #7
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
can dtm cars be adapted for hand controls though?
Old 16 Jul 2003, 22:16 (Ref:663376)   #8
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very cool.

Has anyone else considered that roughly the same car runs stateside in the Speed World Challenge series? Alex is still much loved here.
Old 16 Jul 2003, 22:29 (Ref:663388)   #9
Jimeth
Racer

Jimeth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He may consider it, he's the type of guy who wants to please everyone i think
Old 16 Jul 2003, 23:58 (Ref:663439)   #10
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Quote:
Originally posted by bella
can dtm cars be adapted for hand controls though?
I dont see any reason why not, if a Champ Car and ETCC car can be adapated to hand controls I dont see any reason as to why they woudnt be able to adapt hand controls in a DTM machine. Its not as though the cars are more complex than a Champ car after all.

If u mean in terms of rules however, well that would be up to the DTM organisers to decide. But I dont see any reason why he would be denied the chance, providing he can pass the fitness tests which he appears able to be able to do.
Old 17 Jul 2003, 00:24 (Ref:663457)   #11
Speeddemon555
Veteran

Speeddemon555 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is a big step for Zanardi to get back behind the wheel of a race car. Zanardi in my opinion is an extrodinary racer in my view.
Old 17 Jul 2003, 09:56 (Ref:663688)   #12
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd go further than that - he's an extraordinary human being, courageous, likable and committed in ways most of us can only dream of. Most of my 'heroes' are people whose achievements amount to more than driving a car around a track, but Zanardi is a hero, no doubt about it.
Old 17 Jul 2003, 17:10 (Ref:664123)   #13
SPARK Msport
Veteran

England
Carshalton, Surrey
SPARK Msport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good on you Zanardi, hope BMW give you a full season next year! (Even better, come to the BTCC)
Old 18 Jul 2003, 04:32 (Ref:664555)   #14
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is so cool to hear Zanardi may start a career in the ETCC!! It would be great PR for the ETCC to have Zanardi race in the series! Though if he has a good season in '04 ETCC, I wonder whether or not if some DTM would snap Zanardi up in '05???
Old 18 Jul 2003, 05:50 (Ref:664578)   #15
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now if he can just convince the wife.

"But Daniella, it's the same car I drive to the store! It has doors and everything!"
Old 18 Jul 2003, 06:50 (Ref:664597)   #16
Thommy
Racer

Germany
Kulmbach, Bavaria
Thommy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta
Now if he can just convince the wife.

"But Daniella, it's the same car I drive to the store! It has doors and everything!"

Okay, the engine got more power... But else?
Old 23 Jul 2003, 17:55 (Ref:669646)   #17
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
The guy is a legend... shall we start organising a trip down to Monza now?
Old 25 Jul 2003, 18:33 (Ref:671324)   #18
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fantastic, the guy really is an inspiration!
Old 29 Jul 2003, 20:37 (Ref:674660)   #19
bacon sandwich
Racer

United Kingdom
basildon essex
bacon sandwich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes this would be superb - I bet it wouldn't take too long or him to start giving the rest a run fir their money - always happy and cheerful - he is truly an inspiration.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 22:29 (Ref:697753)   #20
kmchow
Veteran

Anyone else here anything more about Zanardi and a BMW seat next year? It would be so cool to see him continue his motorsport career!
Old 30 Aug 2003, 14:36 (Ref:703379)   #21
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Zanardi has had his third test in BMW's Italy team, they say with last years spec car he is 0.5 seconds off the pace and so even with 50 lbs of weight added due to special equipment he is on alright!
go alex
Old 30 Aug 2003, 16:32 (Ref:703422)   #22
kmchow
Veteran

Supposedly, his next test will be in a '03 spec BMW. They are hoping to get everything together in time for the final ETCC race! With him racing in the ETCC, do you think it could bring additional fans into the ETCC fold???
Old 30 Aug 2003, 18:16 (Ref:703476)   #23
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I hope he gets a fulltime drive next season. It's good to have drivers like Zanardi in a championship.
Old 30 Aug 2003, 22:04 (Ref:703648)   #24
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I really hope he does it and does well in it! Would be remarkable given that it hasn't quite been 2 years yet.