Old 3 May 2006, 22:10 (Ref:1600367)   #1
F.O.F.
TeaTotal
Racer

Ireland
dublin
F.O.F. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Le Mans by train(help needed)

i will be travelling to le mans this year by flying to paris and then getting the TGV to le mans.could someone tell me what is the closest train station to the track

thanks in advance to anyone who can help
Old 3 May 2006, 22:19 (Ref:1600371)   #2
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F.O.F.
i will be travelling to le mans this year by flying to paris and then getting the TGV to le mans.could someone tell me what is the closest train station to the track

thanks in advance to anyone who can help
you'd be better off flying Ryan Air to Tours and hiring a car from there if you can.
Old 3 May 2006, 22:41 (Ref:1600377)   #3
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Friend of mine did this in 2004 for the Classic 24 hours and the TGV was so quick he got to the circuit about an hour and a half before anyone expected him to!

There are stations in Le Mans town centre and Arnage, although I've a suspicion the Arnage one is more of a branch line. Certainly the main Le Mans one is well-served by taxicabs and most of them will be filling up with people aiming for the same destination. With that in mind, there should be plenty of opportunity for fare-sharing.
Old 4 May 2006, 01:09 (Ref:1600405)   #4
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
you'd be better off flying Ryan Air to Tours and hiring a car from there if you can.

Sorry not true - best way to Le Mans is to fly to paris the TGV to Le Mans station - takes about an hour and a half from Paris (train is direct from Charles De Gualle - I did it about three months ago for a meeting in LM and its really the best way to do it. Fairly easy to get to the track though likely the taxi man will spank you.

Arnarge station is in walking distance of the track but its tiny and I don't think is served by many trains

Hiring a car in Le Mans is do-able, but parking can be an arse.

I've done the fly to Tours jobbie and its not really as good and it takes longer.
Old 4 May 2006, 08:12 (Ref:1600481)   #5
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm flying to Tours from Stanstead with Ryanair and then a hire car down to LM...not done it, sure it'll be fine, we'll see.... Sam's route may work but he had uber problems with it when he did it iirc...
Old 4 May 2006, 08:19 (Ref:1600487)   #6
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Just get the TGV to Le Mans.

There are just 5 trains a day from Le Mans up to Arnage, checked it out before for one of our team of marshals.
Totally pointless for our requirements.
hope this is the timetable

Get the bus/a taxi/a mate/(10/10ther?) to come down and pick you up
Old 4 May 2006, 13:38 (Ref:1600672)   #7
F.O.F.
TeaTotal
Racer

Ireland
dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher
Get the bus/a taxi/a mate/(10/10ther?) to come down and pick you up
yeah we've got mates marshalling who can help once we get to the town
Old 4 May 2006, 13:43 (Ref:1600676)   #8
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
y'mean like Hollywood?
Old 4 May 2006, 20:19 (Ref:1600870)   #9
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins

Sorry not true - best way to Le Mans is to fly to paris the TGV to Le Mans station - takes about an hour and a half from Paris (train is direct from Charles De Gualle - I did it about three months ago for a meeting in LM and its really the best way to do it.

I've done the fly to Tours jobbie and its not really as good and it takes longer.

I was thinking of cost Sam. We flew to Tours from Stanstead (just about a 1 hour flight) last September and it was really cheap, as was the car hire, and LM is only 1 hour's drive away.
Old 4 May 2006, 20:22 (Ref:1600872)   #10
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
There's plenty of budget airlines who fly to CDG, so the relative cost of the flights shouldn't be a huge difference; and the TGV is never an extorionate cost (no idea what car hire would cost but again I can't imagine it being much different)
Old 4 May 2006, 20:34 (Ref:1600881)   #11
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asp
There's plenty of budget airlines who fly to CDG, so the relative cost of the flights shouldn't be a huge difference; and the TGV is never an extorionate cost (no idea what car hire would cost but again I can't imagine it being much different)

Ah that makes a difference then. I was assuming that the TGV would cost an astronomical amount - being used to travelling on English trains one does get the idea that all train travel is expensive!
Old 4 May 2006, 21:01 (Ref:1600890)   #12
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
I'm flying to Tours from Stanstead with Ryanair and then a hire car down to LM...not done it, sure it'll be fine, we'll see.... Sam's route may work but he had uber problems with it when he did it iirc...
When are you going out Suze?
Old 4 May 2006, 21:14 (Ref:1600895)   #13
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila M
Ah that makes a difference then. I was assuming that the TGV would cost an astronomical amount - being used to travelling on English trains one does get the idea that all train travel is expensive!
Of course, if cost is more important than time, there are the "Slow" regional trains (ter). They take more than 2hours though.
The price difference between the two is somewhat variable, and often isn't worth the saving, but when you get round to knowing what you want check out voyages-sncf.com to compare and book.
Old 5 May 2006, 08:43 (Ref:1601101)   #14
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet
When are you going out Suze?
Flying out Wednesday, and back Monday. Paid £50 for flights so was cheap, and about €220 for hotel for five nights.

When are you going?
Old 5 May 2006, 14:40 (Ref:1601286)   #15
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Flying out Wednesday, and back Monday. Paid £50 for flights so was cheap, and about €220 for hotel for five nights.

When are you going?
Hotel??!!! You big softy!!

We're going out on the Sunday before (well the rest of us are Happy Snapper is going out for pre-qual and staying out there) and we're staying until the Monday morning after the race. I'll pm you my mobile number and perhaps we can meet up at some point? You can come and make use of our shade when you get fed up of wandering round the track in the heat (or the rain!). We'll be on Maison Blanche campsite and on Friday will be in Le Mans for the drivers parade.
Old 5 May 2006, 15:04 (Ref:1601301)   #16
Suze
Veteran

England
Yep that'd be good, PMed you mine too. Staying in Arnage iirc....not too sure! Are you flying there and back? I have a grandstand seat so may get some shade...
Old 5 May 2006, 15:48 (Ref:1601323)   #17
Piglet
Veteran

Quote:
Yep that'd be good, PMed you mine too. Staying in Arnage iirc....not too sure! Are you flying there and back? I have a grandstand seat so may get some shade...
Flying? no jeez with the amount of camping kit and camera kit we're taking we're up to three cars!!

A grandstand seat is good and Arnage is nice, you'll have lots of entertainment withe the brits and their cars!!
Old 5 May 2006, 16:16 (Ref:1601338)   #18
Suze
Veteran

England
Yep, looking forward to it all! I won't break the flying weight limit...
Old 10 May 2006, 17:57 (Ref:1605263)   #19
F.O.F.
TeaTotal
Racer

Ireland
dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher
y'mean like Hollywood?
Old 10 May 2006, 18:41 (Ref:1605297)   #20
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet
Hotel??!!! You big softy!!

No, just sensible

Having done the camping thing at Le Mans for years, we have hotelled it (Firday/Saturday night) for the last 11 years. We'd never go back to canvas, for sure. But anyone who actually sleeps during the night at Le Mans isn't a softy anyway, just plain daft..... The night is the best part of the whole event by miles......
Old 11 May 2006, 17:56 (Ref:1606133)   #21
Suze
Veteran

England
I think a hotel is a good option...!
Old 12 May 2006, 14:18 (Ref:1607066)   #22
F.O.F.
TeaTotal
Racer

Ireland
dublin
recieved TGV tickets yesterday,got my confirmation e-mail from aer lingus and hollywood finally recieved confirmation of acceptance by the ACO...all is good
Old 12 May 2006, 14:36 (Ref:1607088)   #23
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
my problems were the airline not the trains.

TGV is 33 euro each way if memory serves but its cheaper if you are under 25.
Old 12 May 2006, 15:08 (Ref:1607112)   #24
Suze
Veteran

England
I must've got confused with Magny Cours....the way I'm doing it will still be good, I think. Time will tell...
Old 12 May 2006, 15:24 (Ref:1607129)   #25
F.O.F.
TeaTotal
Racer

Ireland
dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
TGV is 33 euro each way if memory serves but its cheaper if you are under 25.
Yeah,you're right.I thought 33euro was very reasonable.And it does it in 55 minutes so you cant really argue with that