Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 20 Jul 2005, 10:22 (Ref:1359162)   #1
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Hypothetical question

I'm not a technical expert, so can someone answer this for me: would it be theoretically possible to take an old F1 engine (what, 900 bhp?), slap a couple of turbochargers on it and put it in the back of an LMP1 car? I know it wouldn't last an endurance race, but, by God, you'd be on pole at Le Mans with 1,000 bhp+, surely!
Old 20 Jul 2005, 10:34 (Ref:1359171)   #2
jna
Racer

jna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would it last one lap?
Old 20 Jul 2005, 10:46 (Ref:1359176)   #3
panoz.lmp1
Veteran

Germany
Germany
panoz.lmp1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will the engine produce 900hp with all the restricotors and the boost specified in the LMP regulations?

The engine size is ok, but i´m not sure whether all the materials that are allowed in F1 are allowed in real racecars. The F1 cars are runningf without restrictors?
Old 20 Jul 2005, 10:46 (Ref:1359177)   #4
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
one lap .. maybe but not more ..
AFAIK , no restrictors

Ciao Marco
Old 20 Jul 2005, 10:48 (Ref:1359179)   #5
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The recent article on DSC about the new AER V8 engine suggests it could run as a 1000bhp engine is unrestricted form.
Old 20 Jul 2005, 10:59 (Ref:1359190)   #6
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by panoz.lmp1
The engine size is ok, but i´m not sure whether all the materials that are allowed in F1 are allowed in real racecars. The F1 cars are runningf without restrictors?
I like the way you said "real" racecars and then kept F1 cars seperate

Since an F1 engine is only meant to last about 500 miles or so now (or in a Jordan or Minardi that'll be 500 metres), the costs would be extremely high, particularly since the F1 teams often can't keep them running for a sprint race distance. How many engines per weekend would a sportscar team get through? Which adds up to how many per season... etc...

I may, of course, have it wrong and the restrictors and the like which get slapped on it could easily prolong it's life, but for how long?
Old 20 Jul 2005, 11:31 (Ref:1359218)   #7
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
By the time it was restricted, it would not longer have any particular advantage. Wasn't the Judd originally an F1 engine? The Nasamax Cossie a Champ Car engine.

The rumoured Honda entry is using a reworked IRL engine.
Old 20 Jul 2005, 11:43 (Ref:1359233)   #8
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I refer you to my article on the topic of LMP2 / F1 engines - 2.4 litre V8's. There was a thread on this a while ago - basically an F1 engine is built to run for at least 1100km - however you would need to rework the valve operation for running with restrictors - It can be done.
Old 20 Jul 2005, 11:53 (Ref:1359246)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by panoz.lmp1

The engine size is ok, but i´m not sure whether all the materials that are allowed in F1 are allowed in real racecars.

Lovely.
Old 20 Jul 2005, 12:09 (Ref:1359274)   #10
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A number of things would need to be changed, but it could run....

Compression ratio via piston rings, etc. if turbocharged, valves, etc...

I agree with Fogelhund, I don't know if it would give any particular advantage....and I seriously doubt it would be operated at 18,000 rpm, like most F-1 engines do, either....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 20 Jul 2005, 16:53 (Ref:1359491)   #11
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If F1 manufactuers had free reign, they would all use larger capacity turbo engines.

If you can run these in LMP1, why base an engine on an F1 model?

The new AER V8 Turbo is apparently built using the latest F1 tech and so is very, very light.
Old 20 Jul 2005, 17:14 (Ref:1359506)   #12
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
I refer you to my article on the topic of LMP2 / F1 engines - 2.4 litre V8's. There was a thread on this a while ago - basically an F1 engine is built to run for at least 1100km - however you would need to rework the valve operation for running with restrictors - It can be done.
Your article in "Sportscars Ingeneering" (sp ? I forgot the issue you brought at Munchen last week ! ) was very interresting and convincing on this topic...