Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Classic Cars

Old 2 Mar 2010, 22:08 (Ref:2643647)   #1
Invicta
Rookie

Invicta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rare Mitsu Jeep help please

I have a 1975 Mitsubishi Model j26 SWB Jeep which I use daily.
Its mainly original with 2.4 ltr narrowblock ASTRON 4G53 engine, KM141 column change 4 speed gearbox and Hi/low Transmission and a Warn allgear OverDrive.

Recently it's becomming increasingly difficult to engage 1st & 2nd Gear.
The same problem exists when the engine is turning so I think the problem is caused by the box rather than the clutch.

The KM141 is based on the T90 3 speed box in the Willy CJ3B Jeeps (these early Mitsu jeeps were made under license to Willys).

My question
Can anyone suggest soemone who might be able to do the diagnosis and, if necessary, rebuild work on my gearbox please?
As I live and work here in The Cotswolds preferably someone in this part of the UK but I'm looking for experience so travelling isn't a show stopper but the less motorways the better due to a top speed of 60 Mph.

Any help or suggestions will be very much appreciated as there are only 2 of these in the UK and mine is the only one on the road.

Kind regards,
Bernard
Tewkesbury
Old 4 Mar 2010, 06:34 (Ref:2644602)   #2
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Bernard, sounds like it has similar running gear to the Mitsubishi Sigma (aka Londsdale over there). That or an early Pajero (Shogun?) might be a source of parts or a spare gearbox.

Regarding working on the gearbox itself, I don't think it is anything out of the ordinary but unfortunately being on the other side of the world I can't suggest anyone for you!
Old 4 Mar 2010, 17:31 (Ref:2644958)   #3
Invicta
Rookie

Hi John,

Thanks for your thoughts.

A chap who owns another J26 in Japan has told me the only box which might fit is the KM145 in the 2.6 Shogun but that would require a fair amount of adaptation.

It seems a rebuild will be the best bet, it's 'just' a case of finding the right people to take on the work.
Todate I've contacted a fair few who have all been intially positive but then decided that it's too rare even before looking at it. Funny I thought we were in a recession over here with engineering companies going to the wall through lack of work??

Cheers mate,
Bernard
Old 4 Mar 2010, 20:12 (Ref:2645074)   #4
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
you could try Ken at Klassik Transmissions, he's in Penn SW of Wolverhampton
http://www.klassiktrans.co.uk/
...mention my name, it won't do any harm...
Old 5 Mar 2010, 19:31 (Ref:2645726)   #5
Invicta
Rookie

David,

Many thanks for the contact,

Bernard
Old 6 Mar 2010, 12:18 (Ref:2646057)   #6
Invicta
Rookie

Aparently Ken rebuilt a T90 box relatively recently using parts the customer bought from the States. So we are going to plan work on my KM141 with, as a Plan B, the option of looking at what is required to make a KM145 from a 2.6 Shogun fit.

Once again many thanks for the contact details,
Bernard