Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Classic Cars

Old 23 Feb 2012, 15:48 (Ref:3029936)   #1
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
What sort of car is this?

Friend just sent me this picture of a car wanting to know what it is. Looking at the badge my first thought was a Bently I but can't find anything like that in their range. On looking at the badge again, the letter isn't definitely a B as the resolution isn't good enough to be sure. I also think the 'wings' don't look quite the right shape or position. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Mystery car.jpg  
Old 23 Feb 2012, 16:18 (Ref:3029948)   #2
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
It's a Sunbeam-Talbot Alpine (just like the Dinky model}if I.m not mistaken.
Old 23 Feb 2012, 16:18 (Ref:3029949)   #3
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Surely, a Sunbeam Talbot (or if I remember correctly, the convertible model, as rallied by Mr S Moss Esq. was known as an Alpine).
Or am I just jumping to an obvious, but wrong conclusion?
Old 23 Feb 2012, 16:23 (Ref:3029953)   #4
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Yep, a check with the DVLA (under manufacturer: Sunbeam)confirms our suspicions:

Vehicle enquiryThe enquiry is complete.
The vehicle details for 807 UXN are:
Date of Liability 01 06 2012
Date of First Registration 01 07 2005
Year of Manufacture 1953
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 2250cc
CO2 Emissions 0g/Km
Fuel Type PETROL
Export Marker N
Vehicle Status Licence Not Due
Vehicle Colour SILVER
Vehicle Type Approval Not Available
Old 23 Feb 2012, 16:25 (Ref:3029955)   #5
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
It's a Sunbeam 2250

edited; beaten to it.
Old 23 Feb 2012, 17:33 (Ref:3029987)   #6
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wiki entry.
Old 23 Feb 2012, 19:08 (Ref:3030027)   #7
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I used to work on them when I first started in the motor trade at the beginning of the 60s
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 24 Feb 2012, 08:47 (Ref:3030244)   #8
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Yep, a check with the DVLA (under manufacturer: Sunbeam)confirms our suspicions:
I did try that, but it wouldn't do it on the reg alone and I didn't think of trying Sunbeam

Anyway, thanks very much guys. Sorted
Old 24 Feb 2012, 09:07 (Ref:3030260)   #9
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I used to work on them when I first started in the motor trade at the beginning of the 60s
They used the same, big, four cylinder engine as the Humber Hawk as I recall. (A vehicle not known for its sporting prowess!)
Old 24 Feb 2012, 12:27 (Ref:3030345)   #10
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
I think from memory that Sunbeam introduced the model following success in the Alpine Rally with more standard models.It was their idea of a sports car but in reality more of a boulevardier.

The Alpine event was frightening in those days - narrow unsurfaced roads with no safety barriers. Not for the faint-hearted.Works drivers included a certain S.Moss, Peter Collins,Sheila van Damm,Norman Garrad the team manager and (I think) George Hartwell who had a dealership and later ran Hillman Imps in saloon racing.
Old 24 Feb 2012, 14:50 (Ref:3030408)   #11
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
Just realised that in my first reply I called it a Sunbeam-Talbot, when it was in fact the first Rootes car to be named just Sunbeam. The whole Sunbeam-Talbot-Darracq,Rootes Group,and later Talbot, Peugeot etc. thing is very convoluted.

Pedantry rules.
Old 24 Feb 2012, 15:10 (Ref:3030421)   #12
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
Just realised that in my first reply I called it a Sunbeam-Talbot, when it was in fact the first Rootes car to be named just Sunbeam. The whole Sunbeam-Talbot-Darracq,Rootes Group,and later Talbot, Peugeot etc. thing is very convoluted.

Pedantry rules.
Being pedantic, I thought these were still Sunbeam Talbots, with 'Sunbeam' on one side of the badge, and 'Talbot' the other? Or, was that on the saloon version, and the coupe it was 'Sunbeam' and 'Alpine'?
Old 24 Feb 2012, 15:39 (Ref:3030437)   #13
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
I cheated and looked it up in Georgano - your surmise is correct, one marque name for the saloon and drophead, and another for the roadster.
Old 24 Feb 2012, 16:43 (Ref:3030460)   #14
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtype38 View Post
I did try that, but it wouldn't do it on the reg alone and I didn't think of trying Sunbeam
Should have tried askmid.com
Old 24 Feb 2012, 18:01 (Ref:3030500)   #15
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
I've added it to my 'useful site' list.