Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 23 Apr 2014, 23:12 (Ref:3397498)   #126
Obizzz
Racer

Sweden
Sweden
Obizzz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheFanNo1 View Post
Done quite a lot of laps, but way off pace, in the morning session. Hope she can start to go faster in the afternoon. Also Roger Samuelsson is out in what Im guessing is Team Tidö's 2nd car. No sign on Linus Olsson yet?!?
i think something was funky with the lap counter but that's just something I overheard so don't trust me on that (i.e not as many laps as it said)

She was running used tires for most of the day. I wouldn't worry too much about her pace yet.

Roger was driving the second Tidö car.

No Linus here.

Rookies can drive 3 days and the experienced drivers only 2 so a few of them weren't driving today.
Old 24 Apr 2014, 09:10 (Ref:3397620)   #127
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obizzz View Post
No Linus here.

I wonder what he's up to then.

So this is what we have for the test days:
  • Polestar - Thed Björk - Volvo S60
  • Polestar - Fredrik Ekblom - Volvo S60
  • Polestar - Prince Carl Philip Bernadotte - Volvo S60
  • Team Tidö - Rickard Göransson - SAAB
  • Team Tidö - Roger Samuelsson - SAAB
  • WCR - Erik Jonsson - BMW
  • WCR - Philip Forsman - BMW
  • WCR - Fredrik Larsson - BMW (Part season confirmed)
  • Dacia Dealer Team (MA:GP) - Mattias Andersson - Dacia
  • PWR - Emma Kimiläinen - SAAB
  • PWR - TBA - SAAB (Possible entry later in the season)
  • Brovallen - Andreas Wernersson - Kia Optima
  • Brovallen - Mathias Lindberg - Kia Optima

Last edited by PorscheFanNo1; 24 Apr 2014 at 09:16.
Old 24 Apr 2014, 10:04 (Ref:3397641)   #128
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
13 cars. congratulations TTA for wrecking the STCC.
Old 24 Apr 2014, 10:12 (Ref:3397647)   #129
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Remember 2011? The year STCC has Richard Goransson, James Thompson, Gabriele Tarquini, Robert Dahlgren, Tommy Rustad, Colin Turkington, Jan Nilsson, Jason Watt, Rickard Rydell, Fredrik Ekblom, and Fabrizio Giovanardi all drive in the series at varying points of the year and in comparison to the BTCC which just had Matt Neal, Gordon Shedden & Jason Plato of any real note. How times have changed!
Old 24 Apr 2014, 16:50 (Ref:3397798)   #130
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
Season 3 on the verge of beginning...future not looking good for STCC.
Old 24 Apr 2014, 20:17 (Ref:3397869)   #131
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Both sides share a lot of the blame, just like during the Champ Car/Indy split which should serve as an excellent example of why splits are nothing but stupidity. Unfortunately big egos tend to ignore the lessons of history.

The only way I see the STCC getting back to some form of health is to reboot completely and adapt the NGTC format. Sure, it's going to be a female dog at first, but in the end it'll be for the best. Teams can strike deals with teams in the BTCC when it comes to cars and such (which in turn will help BTCC teams bring in a bit more cash).

Not quite sure how to solve the problem concerning the lack of proper tracks in Sweden, however...
Old 24 Apr 2014, 22:23 (Ref:3397917)   #132
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
only one side split away. some teams led by that egomaniac flash nilsen didnt like NGTC so he led a breakaway. and then a year later he walked away from TTA because he could see it was failing! he is mainly to blame for the destruction of stcc.
Old 25 Apr 2014, 09:19 (Ref:3398052)   #133
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
only one side split away. some teams led by that egomaniac flash nilsen didnt like NGTC so he led a breakaway. and then a year later he walked away from TTA because he could see it was failing! he is mainly to blame for the destruction of stcc.
We've tried to explain it for you over and over, but you just dont want to understand, do you.

If that's how you want to look at it, fine, but dont ***** about it every other week...
Old 25 Apr 2014, 09:25 (Ref:3398056)   #134
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was described almost universally as being a bad idea at the time by everyone outside of Sweden.
Old 25 Apr 2014, 13:41 (Ref:3398120)   #135
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Season 3 on the verge of beginning...future not looking good for STCC.
I wonder if adding a secondary class would be a viable fix for the interim... maybe adopt Procar's new 1.6 turbo formula, or something like the Danish Group N Supercup and take it from there - but with an eye towards an eventual return to a fully production based formula.
Old 25 Apr 2014, 16:16 (Ref:3398166)   #136
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
I wonder if adding a secondary class would be a viable fix for the interim... maybe adopt Procar's new 1.6 turbo formula, or something like the Danish Group N Supercup and take it from there - but with an eye towards an eventual return to a fully production based formula.
Speed difference too big?
Old 25 Apr 2014, 17:06 (Ref:3398191)   #137
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
That would be like applying a band-aid to a severed arm.
Old 25 Apr 2014, 19:01 (Ref:3398236)   #138
Obizzz
Racer

Sweden
Sweden
Most of STCC's problems have nothing to do with what cars they are racing. Let's just say everyone is not doing their jobs properly (not talking about the teams here)

There were some positive vibes and ideas in the pits during testing though.
Old 25 Apr 2014, 20:19 (Ref:3398252)   #139
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Let's just say everyone is not doing their jobs properly (not talking about the teams here).
Oh that was quite evident during the event at Tierp Arena last year.

As for the cars, the reason I keep nagging about NGTC is because STCC needs a stable format that works, that provides interesting racing. The current format is neither stable nor provides interesting racing. IMHO, of course.

NGTC would also, as mentioned, allow teams to cooperate with teams in the BTCC.
Old 25 Apr 2014, 22:22 (Ref:3398296)   #140
Obizzz
Racer

Sweden
Sweden
The cars need to change eventually but that's not the worst problem right now. None of the teams could afford a change at the moment anyway.

I don't think NGTC is the way to go though. It works in the UK but I'm not so sure it's the right thing for Sweden.
Old 26 Apr 2014, 01:50 (Ref:3398332)   #141
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I don't think NGTC is the way to go though. It works in the UK but I'm not so sure it's the right thing for Sweden.
what are the alternatives then ?

- new S2000 a definite NO
- STCC doing their own rules is suicidal
- ADAC Procar ? unknown results

so NGTC would be best, besides there should be a used NGTC marked from next year if STCC teams can't build there own cars
Old 26 Apr 2014, 02:06 (Ref:3398335)   #142
Tiny
Rookie

Sweden
Tiny has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I have never liked the TTA/STCC cars.
Ugly , plastic och not touringcars.
And YES they ARE a big bit of the stcc series problem.
It gives no security and no real "thing" for the public.
There is no show just inlineracing with no overtakes.

NGTC or anything , all is better.
I do not agree to that the cars are ok for sweden.
They are so wrong in sommany ways for the Swedish tracks.

But hey , keep on trying to force the opinion that the cars are good for swedens racingseries.......

Just stupid when there is a result already.
Old 26 Apr 2014, 03:18 (Ref:3398337)   #143
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
The cars need to change eventually but that's not the worst problem right now. None of the teams could afford a change at the moment anyway.

The format used - and the action it produces - is a big part in what attracts the mainstream/casual motorsports crowd though. Right now it's silhouette cars that sound like motorcycles and don't provide a lot of close racing vs cars that both look and sound more like proper touring cars. I'm quite sure NGTC would provide closer racing as well, if the BTCC races in the NGTC era is anything to go by.

I know what format I'd choose.
Old 26 Apr 2014, 18:21 (Ref:3398495)   #144
Obizzz
Racer

Sweden
Sweden
The thing is we tried NGTC for 2012 and not a SINGLE TEAM used it. Maybe it was a bit early though but I'm not so sure the teams have changed their view on NGTC.

When it comes to sound NGTC would have to play by the same 95dB rules as the Solution F cars so they wouldn't sound much better. I bet the TTA cars would actually sound awesome if you removed ran them without silencers.

A change of regulations need to come a few years ahead to make sure the teams can plan the change properly. The teams are discussing this issue btw. Noone is ignoring the problem there.
Old 26 Apr 2014, 20:47 (Ref:3398529)   #145
touring fan01
Veteran

Quote:
The thing is we tried NGTC for 2012 and not a SINGLE TEAM used it. Maybe it was a bit early though but I'm not so sure the teams have changed their view on NGTC.
not taking NGTC is one of the reasons why the stcc went downhill. it took the stcc away from regulations that would have supplied stcc with cars and expertise, like the BTCC has done for stcc before.
Old 26 Apr 2014, 21:05 (Ref:3398533)   #146
Obizzz
Racer

Sweden
Sweden
Quote:
not taking NGTC is one of the reasons why the stcc went downhill. it took the stcc away from regulations that would have supplied stcc with cars and expertise, like the BTCC has done for stcc before.
But as I said above. They did take on NGTC but no teams bought any cars. No teams, no series. It's as simple as that.

STCC started going downhill years ago and they started working on the problems way too late which led to the split.

edit: I've been through this discussion so many times before though. Let's just agree to disagree.

Last edited by Obizzz; 26 Apr 2014 at 21:12.
Old 26 Apr 2014, 21:15 (Ref:3398538)   #147
Obizzz
Racer

Sweden
Sweden
To change the subject to something more positive.

Here are some links to photos I took for West Coast Racing and PWR Racing Team at the test.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...20839714639719

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3.375698930760
Old 26 Apr 2014, 22:25 (Ref:3398559)   #148
Tiny
Rookie

Sweden
Tiny has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
But as I said above. They did take on NGTC but no teams bought any cars. No teams, no series. It's as simple as that.

STCC started going downhill years ago and they started working on the problems way too late which led to the split.

edit: I've been through this discussion so many times before though. Let's just agree to disagree.
Well.
That's not so strange.
Team did not buy any cars because the series was in freefall.

If a team are to invest in new cars the STCC as this is have to make it clear berfore that this is the formula that is going to rule that year , otherwise the teams can not make the desicion.

Or how do you Think that it is working?
The teams can not buy car first then HOPE that they can run them.

And beeing out of Bounce , TTA came up with no warning so to say that teams need time to decide is just stupid when TTA totaly destroyed racing in sweden.

As is right now the best thing would be to scrap this years STCC and let teams gather Money and rest to go back to som racing with more then Volvo as competitors. Its a Volvo Cup race as it is now.

What confidence does it give teams that STCC is pushing Rally Cross just as much as Racing. No real focus there , just stupidity!

Last edited by Tiny; 26 Apr 2014 at 22:38.
Old 27 Apr 2014, 10:10 (Ref:3398714)   #149
My two..
Rookie

My two.. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How hard is it to understand that teams was never interested in NGTC cars and communicated this to STCC organisation from the early beginning?
Old 27 Apr 2014, 13:30 (Ref:3398782)   #150
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
how hard is it to understand that it doesn't matter what teams want, it's what the spectators want to see, no spectators = no sponsors = no money

one of the track organizers said last year that they "over estimated" the appeal of STCC referring to low spectator numbers