Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 20 Apr 2014, 06:29 (Ref:3395346)   #26
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's just stepped out of karting. Yes he's had testing, but the rest of the grid has more experience and also got some mileage (unless you're a Signature driver). Verstappen is clearly very, very talented...
Old 20 Apr 2014, 07:09 (Ref:3395359)   #27
Beryl
Veteran

Beryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBeryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree, there's quite a difference between coming straight out of karts like Verstappen and having two years of decent level single seaters (and F3 experience from Macau) under your belt like Ocon.

That said, Fuoco himself was also super impressive in his first season in cars last year and Ocon is clearly looking best at the moment, so I'm not going to take sides just yet. I'm looking forward to see how all three perform this year.
Old 20 Apr 2014, 08:25 (Ref:3395402)   #28
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fuoco is now leading
Old 20 Apr 2014, 08:50 (Ref:3395420)   #29
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Verstappen still in second place, two laps to go.
Old 20 Apr 2014, 08:52 (Ref:3395422)   #30
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Great scrap in the midfield going on round tenth place
Old 20 Apr 2014, 08:53 (Ref:3395424)   #31
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
Three dubutants on the podium, impressive!
Old 20 Apr 2014, 17:18 (Ref:3395868)   #32
Rf1 Fan
Veteran

Rf1 Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
I agree, there's quite a difference between coming straight out of karts like Verstappen and having two years of decent level single seaters (and F3 experience from Macau) under your belt like Ocon.

That said, Fuoco himself was also super impressive in his first season in cars last year and Ocon is clearly looking best at the moment, so I'm not going to take sides just yet. I'm looking forward to see how all three perform this year.

I think that both 3 are tremendously good anyway.

For example Ocon was way faster than Kirchofer in tests with Prema last year. I would'nt be surprised if Ocon was on top in GP3 straight away like Max or Antonio.

I would say that the main difference now with talented drivers and very good rookies in new categories is quality of preparation (professionalism).

Ocon is helped by Lotus, Stephane Guérin ( the guy who ran SG Formula and nursed Ricciardo/Vergne/Bianchi/Pic/Grosjean) and Winway. Plus Prema environnement. Fuoco is with Luca Baldisierri. Verstappen is also in very good place , plus his factory karting expereience.

We also see this trend with new car race drivers such as Charles Leclerc,Russell,Hubert in 2.0.

That's why also i believe that a guy like Gasly i think has a good future because his preparation is quite limited compared to Lynn or Sainz Jr in terms of racing experience. I hope that Red Bull will send in GP3 or F3 for few outings to do some mileage.
Old 20 Apr 2014, 22:44 (Ref:3395999)   #33
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessio View Post
Renault postponed the project for a few rounds. Tunjo has left, Calderon will drive for Jo Zeller for the rounds Signature will not compete.
As an aside, the second Signature car - both of which were in the Silverstone paddock - carried Richie Stanaway's name.
Old 21 Apr 2014, 05:37 (Ref:3396050)   #34
wsrgo94
Rookie

India
Calcutta
wsrgo94 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
As an aside, the second Signature car - both of which were in the Silverstone paddock - carried Richie Stanaway's name.
Really? Now that's surprising...does it mean his Status deal is off?
Old 21 Apr 2014, 13:25 (Ref:3396208)   #35
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
ivanalesi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Totally agree Rf1 Fan, but this kind of preparation doesn't come cheap!
Old 21 Apr 2014, 15:09 (Ref:3396243)   #36
Rf1 Fan
Veteran

Rf1 Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanalesi View Post
yes i know.

the budget for lotus f1 junior team is reaching 8 million euros budget every year right now.

The question is to wonder how to make everything more cost efficient from karting to Formula Renault 2.0.

It is not quite normal to see the prices of Karting while you can do French F4 for 50K€ per season.

Because now from Eurocup 2.0 or F3 you reach very very high level of preparation from teams but also drivers through their schemes.

It is interesting to see the gap in terms of progression between Gasly and Vaxivière. vaxivière did beat gasly in F4 and in early 2013 but then he completely stalled in his progression while Gasly had a steep margin.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 15:34 (Ref:3397296)   #37
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
What is wrong with Renault-Oreca F3 engine?
Old 24 Apr 2014, 21:12 (Ref:3397896)   #38
Peter Cammish
Rookie

Peter Cammish should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I visit France 5 or 6 times a year, I am assuming Charles Leclerc is connected to the giant French supermarket chain that has his surname, I suspect he doesn't spend his evenings sending out sponsorship letters and his pathway to F1 is probably fully funded so expect to see him in F1 before the end of the decade., My son tells me our up and coming boy with the full financial firepower is Lando Norris, his progress will be interesting as if he has no budget issues he can build and prepare to a time table, expect him in F1 around 2021 or so let's see.
Old 25 Apr 2014, 01:25 (Ref:3397948)   #39
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
Leclerc is managed by Todt, but comes from Monaco and if he's really connected with the supermarkets as you suggest... yeah, F1 is matter of time.
I think it's a bit more unfair now with all this uber high tech preparation than a decade ago, because it costs 100s thousands on top of all the extra testing and racing such rich kids can afford.
Old 25 Apr 2014, 16:44 (Ref:3398181)   #40
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
Money can bring you far, but to be really up there you will always need talent.
Old 25 Apr 2014, 18:45 (Ref:3398225)   #41
Peter Cammish
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobster View Post
Believe me you do not.
Old 25 Apr 2014, 18:46 (Ref:3398226)   #42
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
Keep believing!
Old 25 Apr 2014, 18:58 (Ref:3398233)   #43
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Max Chilton.
Old 25 Apr 2014, 19:11 (Ref:3398240)   #44
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
He is not up there, he is competing that's all, I mean you need talent to be frontrunnrer.
Old 25 Apr 2014, 19:11 (Ref:3398241)   #45
Peter Cammish
Rookie

Quote:
Leclerc is managed by Todt, but comes from Monaco and if he's really connected with the supermarkets as you suggest... yeah, F1 is matter of time.
I think it's a bit more unfair now with all this uber high tech preparation than a decade ago, because it costs 100s thousands on top of all the extra testing and racing such rich kids can afford.
Ivan, I think perhaps unfair is a description from a bygone age were motor racing is concerned, I think sponsors are very suspicious of motor racing and F1 in particular so for me the next generation of F1 drivers will all share similar social backgrounds, I personally can understand why the family of Charles Pic would spend 30 to 40 million on his career, they figured they could probably over a period of time buy him further up the grid (the theory on this was once explained to me by a top F3 team owner), when that for 014 was not possible I am sure they took the view to step back and view the land scape for 015 when a team higher up the grid might need an injection of cash and he would be attractive with his budget and experience. The Pic Family clearly will not be disadvantaged by the outlay and there a lots of similar families in Europe and Asia with motorsport loving sons and daughters, there are virtually no other global hi visibility sports were you can buy up to the top table except F1 so it's attractive and even though it has a reducing appeal to the masses, it will I am sure sustain through its attractiveness to the global elite.
Old 25 Apr 2014, 19:43 (Ref:3398244)   #46
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As far as I know Leclerc is not related to the super markets chain
Old 25 Apr 2014, 21:37 (Ref:3398278)   #47
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Cammish View Post
Ivan, I think perhaps unfair is a description from a bygone age were motor racing is concerned, I think sponsors are very suspicious of motor racing and F1 in particular so for me the next generation of F1 drivers will all share similar social backgrounds, I personally can understand why the family of Charles Pic would spend 30 to 40 million on his career, they figured they could probably over a period of time buy him further up the grid (the theory on this was once explained to me by a top F3 team owner), when that for 014 was not possible I am sure they took the view to step back and view the land scape for 015 when a team higher up the grid might need an injection of cash and he would be attractive with his budget and experience. The Pic Family clearly will not be disadvantaged by the outlay and there a lots of similar families in Europe and Asia with motorsport loving sons and daughters, there are virtually no other global hi visibility sports were you can buy up to the top table except F1 so it's attractive and even though it has a reducing appeal to the masses, it will I am sure sustain through its attractiveness to the global elite.
Yeah, totally agree. At least we still have Red Bull, Ferrari and McLaren bringing proper talents.
Still I would have picked Pic over Maldonado at Lotus, I guess PDVSA's check was too juicy fat for their family trust Midfield is their maximum, it will be pure luck to end at the front.
Old 3 May 2014, 19:45 (Ref:3401540)   #48
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lucas Auer wins race one at Hockenheim, Ed Jones finished 2nd, Jordan King finished third.

Tom Blomqvist set the fastes and second fastes time in 2nd qualifying, but he get's a penalty for an engine change(engine change gets you a 10 place penalty for the next 3 races) so Max Verstappen will start from pole twice in sunday's races.
Old 4 May 2014, 09:44 (Ref:3401773)   #49
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
So far a terrible weekend for Verstappen, dnf in race 1and 2
Old 4 May 2014, 14:31 (Ref:3401854)   #50
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So far a terrible weekend for Verstappen, dnf in race 1and 2

Second race was won by Ocon ahead of Latifi and Ocon(Verstappen DNS because of electronic problems)

Repairs seem to have worked, Max Verstappen won race 3 from pole, Ocon 2nd, Fuocco third, again a full rookie podium