Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Apr 2014, 12:05 (Ref:3397172)   #151
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some drivers can adapt to any car, even a dog, and get the best out of it, others can perform at peak level only in a car that suits them (this includes the tire factor). This has been evident forever at all levels of the sport. In the current F1 situation it appears that Vettel and Raikonen, for two are among the less adaptable, Alonso (very clearly) and maybe Ricciardo are among the "flexible". If you consider that previously Ricciardo was trying to hustle a second tier car, having even a poor Red Bull must feel pretty good
Old 23 Apr 2014, 12:14 (Ref:3397180)   #152
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
Are you going to tell Niki Lauda he doesn't understand driving, or shall I?

I think this is just another example of the over-exaggerated expressions that are a normal part of F1 vocabulary. ("There was absolutely no grip." "No power whatsoever." Etc.) What Lauda was trying to say was that Vettel hit a wonderful sweet spot with the blown-diffuser cars that he was able to exploit better than anyone else. Now that advantage has gone, he is struggling to adapt his style or his car to the new reality.
which is kind of what i was hinting at. i agree completely that paraphrasing lauda's comment down to a simple soundbite of "he's forgotten how to drive" is ridiculous, and what's even dafter is people taking that soundbite and saying "but vettel has forgotten how to drive - niki lauda said so".

you're exactly right about one thing though. he hasn't found his sweet spot yet. he will. he's an astute, smart, adaptable driver who lest we forget, got some fairly impressive results out of a fairly unimpressive car prior to his world domination phase. i don't think the car and engine/power unit combo is at a position where he can even *find* a sweet spot to exploit. renault are moving the goalposts almost daily.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 12:42 (Ref:3397192)   #153
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
Are you going to tell Niki Lauda he doesn't understand driving, or shall I?

I think this is just another example of the over-exaggerated expressions that are a normal part of F1 vocabulary. ("There was absolutely no grip." "No power whatsoever." Etc.) What Lauda was trying to say was that Vettel hit a wonderful sweet spot with the blown-diffuser cars that he was able to exploit better than anyone else. Now that advantage has gone, he is struggling to adapt his style or his car to the new reality.
I read it as "forgotten how to drive a BAD car" without even thinking!
Old 23 Apr 2014, 13:26 (Ref:3397215)   #154
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
From foxsports.com.

Forgotten how to drive?? Surely a four time champion and the "best driver" in the field couldn't possibly forget how to drive.. could he?
Didn't Niki Lauda himself run into a spot of trouble when he took a Jaguar out to prove that 'any idiot could drive a modern F1 car fast' ?
Old 23 Apr 2014, 14:33 (Ref:3397264)   #155
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
What we are seeing seems to affirm that Vettel is a very good driver but the Neweymobile he had was awesome. Simple. He isn't this maestro the Vettelbots strangely like to think he is.

It's no wonder he's aggrieved. Vettel is accustomed to collecting trophies, being feted within the team and suddenly along comes Mr. Rookiejust Outtanappies and swiftly grabs the carpet from underneath his feet. Upstaging the Red Bull King is no mean feat, it's not as if Seb is elderly or anything, he's just not liking being made to look foolish.

As for Lauda, he's just trolling you guys.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 14:36 (Ref:3397268)   #156
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
actually agree with the sentiment that prolonged success can spoil an athlete.

its very Rocky 3 really. a combination of success and management sheltering Balboa from difficult opponents and then when matched against Clubber Lang, Rocky was beaten soundly. fortunately one epic montage scene was all that was needed to bring our hero back to glory!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s28vNyjOlbc
Old 24 Apr 2014, 08:03 (Ref:3397597)   #157
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dual WDC Mika Hakkinen blasts Vettel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Hakkinen

"For Vettel it's an unpleasant surprise that Ricciardo is beating him, but instructions from the team have to be followed.

"Even last year I was surprised by Vettel's behaviour towards his team, and now it goes on.

"Behaving like that will, sooner or later, hurt him. Maybe he is planning to change teams, but right now he's not behaving in the right way."
From motorsport.com.

Lots of love for the 'champion' then...
Old 24 Apr 2014, 08:09 (Ref:3397600)   #158
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Dual WDC Mika Hakkinen blasts Vettel.

From motorsport.com.

Lots of love for the 'champion' then...
It would be more surprising if 'champion' Hakkinen said 'champion' Vettel should ignore team orders It's just not befitting of a 'champion'. By the way, where's 'champion' the horse gone
Old 24 Apr 2014, 11:50 (Ref:3397675)   #159
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!

Thanks Davyboy, I'd forgotten that one!

This came up about our Nige on the same Youtube page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og7v6mouFBE
Old 24 Apr 2014, 13:15 (Ref:3397704)   #160
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Thanks Davyboy, I'd forgotten that one!

This came up about our Nige on the same Youtube page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og7v6mouFBE
Thanks for that... I'd forgotten that also.

It seems like everyone's forgetting things at the moment... is it any wonder Vettel can't remember how to drive
Old 25 Apr 2014, 02:23 (Ref:3397962)   #161
321Go
Veteran

Aww.. isn't that lovely. So nice to see so much love between the fanbois.
Old 25 Apr 2014, 04:15 (Ref:3397976)   #162
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Vettel to get a new car, "Suzie" apparently!

http://www.f1reader.com/news/vettel-...uzie-039-96662

The requirement for a stable rear would probably show why he was so good with the diffuser cars!
Old 25 Apr 2014, 06:56 (Ref:3398018)   #163
321Go
Veteran

Has to be Suzie's dirty little sister, because the car he's been driving since before the season started was already named Suzie.

Was named after a Williams driver, apparently.

What next? Nicole? Jessica? Dasha?
Or maybe he should really stir up the Horner's nest and call his next car Jemma.
We all know anyone of them has a 'very stable rear end'.
Old 25 Apr 2014, 08:16 (Ref:3398030)   #164
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
What next? Nicole? Jessica? Dasha?
'Perry' apparently.

In other news, Daniel Ricciardo has allegedly named his car Roger because he can take others from behind even when they don't want him to
Old 25 Apr 2014, 08:31 (Ref:3398036)   #165
davyboy
Veteran

On a more serious note, Sebastian Vettel's mom has now waded in. Expect some real fireworks if she has to deal with this matter herself in Spain.
Old 25 Apr 2014, 11:00 (Ref:3398080)   #166
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
you guys are so classy.
Old 25 Apr 2014, 11:56 (Ref:3398094)   #167
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdave0 View Post
Some drivers can adapt to any car, even a dog, and get the best out of it, others can perform at peak level only in a car that suits them (this includes the tire factor). This has been evident forever at all levels of the sport. In the current F1 situation it appears that Vettel and Raikonen, for two are among the less adaptable
However, it did surprise me how Raikkonen performed so well in a new to him car in 2012 that it was almost hard to believe that this guy was out of F1 for two years.
Old 25 Apr 2014, 13:23 (Ref:3398114)   #168
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just think how hilarious he might have been by now had he stayed in F1......
Old 25 Apr 2014, 15:03 (Ref:3398146)   #169
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Easy now Ayesdasi!
Old 25 Apr 2014, 16:00 (Ref:3398165)   #170
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobP View Post
However, it did surprise me how Raikkonen performed so well in a new to him car in 2012 that it was almost hard to believe that this guy was out of F1 for two years.
Me too. Maybe it handled like a rally car?
Old 26 Apr 2014, 16:30 (Ref:3398471)   #171
jedrinck
Racer

jedrinck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
actually agree with the sentiment that prolonged success can spoil an athlete.

its very Rocky 3 really. a combination of success and management sheltering Balboa from difficult opponents and then when matched against Clubber Lang, Rocky was beaten soundly. fortunately one epic montage scene was all that was needed to bring our hero back to glory!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s28vNyjOlbc
Very good point. I think this would help Vettel to find back to his winning ways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFrMLRQIT_k

I don't think all that slow motion beach running and hugging in very short shorts would be necessary. And with whom anyway? Webber?
Old 26 Apr 2014, 16:48 (Ref:3398472)   #172
jedrinck
Racer

About the ability to adapt to a certain car, I don't see a connection with how good that car is compared to the rest of the grid. Be it the fastest car or middle of the pack or a backmarker, it may suit a driver better than his teammate in either case. I guess I am trying to say that Vettel's current crisis compared with Ricciardo would have occurred even if Mercedes hadn't built a better car and nobody would call the RB a dog.
Old 27 Apr 2014, 12:16 (Ref:3398768)   #173
Zico
Racer

Zico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedrinck View Post
I guess I am trying to say that Vettel's current crisis compared with Ricciardo would have occurred even if Mercedes hadn't built a better car and nobody would call the RB a dog.
Yes but Vettels 'crisis' probably wouldn't have been quite as apparant. If Red Bull had the superior car again this year perhaps they may have concentrated more on managing their race pace out in front and leaned on the team orders/unofficial No1 driver side of things a bit more... instead of instructing Seb to let Dan past in order to allow him to have a bash at those up front?
Old 27 Apr 2014, 17:44 (Ref:3398859)   #174
jedrinck
Racer

Well, they're not protecting Vettel now because that would be stupid from the team's perspective so why would they have done it in the hypothetical situation of having the best car? They didn't do it last year in Malaysia either, after all they told Vettel not to pass then. He disobeyed alright but that's not the team's fault.
Old 28 Apr 2014, 06:19 (Ref:3399060)   #175
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG View Post
Yes, it's not easy when you can't just rock up and get in the best car. Must be quite tough.
Well here's some comments attributed to Alonso by Andrew Benson (BBC- Formula 1) in an article published after Shanghai on April 20th......

I don't know when the comment was made but its interesting that Alonso thinks what many poster's have said here...

"Time will tell us," Alonso said. "There are many years [to go in his career].

"He is 26 years old, so when he will have a car like the others, if he wins, he will have a great recognition and be one of the legends in F1.

"When one day he has a car like the others and he is fourth, fifth, seventh, these four titles will be bad news for him because people will take these four titles even in a worse manner than they are doing now.

"So there are interesting times for Sebastian coming"