Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Classic Cars

Old 26 Feb 2008, 06:45 (Ref:2138134)   #1
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Classic car show photos

As per last year I have been to a couple of classic car shows (and taken pictures!), however I thought I would take the easy way out for the moment and just provide links to the albums. If time permits I will highlight a couple of the cars.

RACV Great Australian Rally - Mornington Racecourse 20/01/08: LINK
Australia Day classic car display - King's Domain, Melbourne 26/01/08: LINK
Geelong All Ford Day (not 100% classic): LINK

Feel free to link to your own photos, the more the merrier!
Old 27 Feb 2008, 22:27 (Ref:2139673)   #2
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
that is quite the wide array of vehicles. the El Camino was a bit random. see many of those down under??

lovely pics. must've been a great show.
Old 5 Mar 2008, 05:43 (Ref:2144667)   #3
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
There have been a few El Caminos imported over the years, they were never sold here new, but they are very rare. I recently saw an ad for a pair of ex-South African El Caminos - one 74 but the other 71 model was a lot more familiar here as the HQ Holden ute!

Another show on the weekend, drove my mate's Imp to it while he took the Hunter GT, photos yet to be uploaded though.
Old 6 Mar 2008, 07:11 (Ref:2145416)   #4
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Ok, another show - this time the RACV Classic Showcase at Flemington Racecourse. The show used to be called the British & European Motoring Show which gives an idea of the focus. Here is the LINK to the album, while a couple of highlights are below.

1938 Lancia Astura. Need I say any more, a real rarity and exceptional car. Powered by a 3L narrow-angle V8.

Peugeot 404 and 504 convertibles, even over there it must be a rare sight to see these lined up side-by-side. If I recall correctly the owner of the 404 drove it before bringing it back and was told off for driving such a vehicle in Paris! (due to damage potential & difficulty of sourcing repair panels)

Triumph Mayflower ute. Surely one of the most strange vehicles ever invented!
Old 17 Apr 2008, 01:16 (Ref:2179411)   #5
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
No response? Has anyone ever seen a Lancia Astura or Triumph Mayflower utility before?

Here is the rear view of the ute... suffice to say there is not much in the way of utility!

How about another line-up, this time of all the Daimler V8's. I imagine this would be a lot more common in the UK, but it is very rare to see a Majestic Major out here. I think there are around 6 of them known in the state.
Old 17 Apr 2008, 09:30 (Ref:2179605)   #6
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
John, the problem is that we don't get enough viewers/posters in this forum!

Thanks for the pics and link. The Mayflower ute is certainly an odd one; as you say, the space available is marginal. After the war, Triumph went for this razor edged styling (by Hoopers?) both with the Mayflower, and with the Renown/1800 saloons. It worked rather better with the latter, I think, but they were both very distinctive designs, and examples of both are rare now. I can't remember seeing one of either for years, not even at classic car shows.
Old 18 Apr 2008, 06:52 (Ref:2180396)   #7
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
No probs John, just trying to stimulate a bit of reaction!

Wasn't there a larger version of the razor-edge styling as well? It really doesn't suit the small Mayflower, to the point where it is a collectible curiosity point.

It was interesting to see a couple of Standard Vanguard utes, on the later version they had extended the length of the tray noticeably.
Old 18 Apr 2008, 10:17 (Ref:2180518)   #8
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875
Wasn't there a larger version of the razor-edge styling as well?
Well, yes, the Renown/1800 saloon I mentioned above. The style suited it better than the Mayflower.

The Austin Sheerline was pretty much a razor edged design, as of course were some Rolls Royces from where, I think the style originally emanated from.
Old 21 Apr 2008, 03:35 (Ref:2182517)   #9
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Sorry John, I didn't express myself well enough, I was meaning larger than the Renown/1800
Old 29 Oct 2008, 00:03 (Ref:2323038)   #10
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Some photos from Mount Tarrengower Hillclimb, which featured cars from a Vauxhall 30/98 and Bentley to a 1970 AMX. There was a really nice Mk2 Zeqhyr and lots of MGs. The carpark had a lot of nice cars too, but what was really interesting were a couple of vintage cars in "as found" condition, one was a Hudson with interstate registration. The black car with the fabric bodied pointed rear end (for want of a better description) was a Minerva, that I passed on the way home cruising at approx 50mph - not bad for its age and only a small racing screen

LINK
Old 1 Nov 2008, 10:35 (Ref:2325298)   #11
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
One photo to highlight in particular - something you don't see everyday, a Lamborghini Miura parked in the bush! I saw (& heard!) the car driving away later, so the trailer was for one of the cars racing at the hillclimb.

link
Old 22 Jan 2009, 06:33 (Ref:2376581)   #12
Lorane
Rookie

Lorane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi nice sharing, good collection of photographs of old cars. Well i love very much my first car but i had just repainted it because its colour had so much fade. New its again ready and fortunately i had got the same shade as there been painted first, that's very important for me. And all this had been happened through a website its car paint .
Old 23 Jan 2009, 11:31 (Ref:2377463)   #13
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Welcome, Lorane, but it would be good if you told us what your 'first car' is/was, otherwise we might think that you posted merely to plug the paint website.
Old 19 Jun 2009, 04:29 (Ref:2486339)   #14
Speedislife
Rookie

United States
Nebraska
Speedislife should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Since you're not getting a lot of posts, I thought you might like to see a classic from this side of the pond you may not be familiar with:

Buick Wildcat. American luxury from the mid-'60s. Power steering, brakes, windows, seats, you name it...powered by a huge 455 ci V-8. My mom had one when I was a boy. Don't know what Elvis has to do with it...he drove Cadillacs, not Buicks.

I have more if you'd like...
Old 20 Jun 2009, 13:54 (Ref:2486959)   #15
datmix
Rookie

England
North West
datmix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here are some pics from last year's Cholmondeley Pageant Of Power, this was the very first show.Alfa Romeo was the featured marque.
This year's show will be bigger and better, Bugatti is this year's car theme. I will be attending on the sunday, so will post pics.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/datmix/
Old 22 Jun 2009, 07:31 (Ref:2488063)   #16
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Thanks for sharing those datmix, it must have been great with some really special cars there!
Old 6 Jul 2009, 10:18 (Ref:2496476)   #17
datmix
Rookie

England
North West
Alfa Romeo National Day, Newby Hall, Yorkshire
Sunday 5th July.

Link to Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/datmix/
Old 20 Jul 2009, 18:21 (Ref:2505014)   #18
datmix
Rookie

England
North West
Cholmondeley Pageant of power 19th July
Pics from sunday, all cars, much bigger this year, typical british weather.

Link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/datmix/