Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 15 Feb 2009, 11:35 (Ref:2397781)   #51
Mak
Veteran

Mak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3
Right, Team Italy also immediately springs to mind as one that should have done a lot better.

Perhaps this is why we have not seen GER and PAK yet, hopefully A1GP are saying don't come back until you can stand on your own two feet.

Just from my own speculative guesswork:

Self sufficient: CHN, IND, INA, IRL, KOR, LEB, MAL, MEX, MON, NED, NZL, POR, RSA, SUI

Supported by A1GP: AUS, BRA, FRA, GBR, ITA, USA
I am pretty sure that another 3 teams(IND,INA&MEX) (SUI?) are not in the first list and several others not fully self sufficient, hence a major floor in the A1 model. PAK did have funding from associates with Khan and as he does not fit in the car this has gone.
A1 has been very exposed to the Credit crunch due to the fact they have not been able to secure funds to underwrite the new car/engine/Ferrari deal over a 3 year term.
It must also be embarrassing for A1 to have to put extra finacial burden on those who are "paying there way". ie Colin Giltrap having to bail out the cars to get to Taupo.
Old 16 Feb 2009, 16:33 (Ref:2398563)   #52
rychard
Rookie

rychard has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Pakistan were due to test at Phakisa (ex MotoGP venue) today ..... will post more when I know more.
Old 16 Feb 2009, 18:14 (Ref:2398605)   #53
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Flyin Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardRenes
As it takes about $3 million to run a car for a year, i'd say you can get a full body sponsorspot for the same money you can get a wing end plate spot for in F1.

And to my knowledge team NED is not self sufficient yet. They come close though. They got about 85%-90% of their costs covered.

No big sponsor, but a lot of smaller ones.
Car, engine, spares and "crash money", crew, driver salary, and travel all around the world is $3 million? I'd heard on another auto racing site that the annual cost to run a team was $7 million.

What's the purse money like?

Last edited by Flyin Ryan; 16 Feb 2009 at 18:16.
Old 16 Feb 2009, 18:50 (Ref:2398622)   #54
Mak
Veteran

Mak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Ryan
Car, engine, spares and "crash money", crew, driver salary, and travel all around the world is $3 million? I'd heard on another auto racing site that the annual cost to run a team was $7 million.

What's the purse money like?
Thats a joke.... Everones still waiting for last seasons prize money???
Old 16 Feb 2009, 19:13 (Ref:2398632)   #55
rychard
Rookie

I hear 1st plane full of cars has left NZ, but 2nd only due to arrive Wed.

BTW - all A1GP staff have been warned not to speak to media/anyone at all, that's why its so difficult to get info.

Pakistan car str8 from Europe

Last edited by rychard; 16 Feb 2009 at 19:19.
Old 16 Feb 2009, 19:18 (Ref:2398635)   #56
Tyrrell
Rookie

Tyrrell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote: BTW - all A1GP staff have been warned not to speak to media/anyone at all, that's why its so difficult to get info.

What rubbish!
Old 17 Feb 2009, 02:37 (Ref:2398826)   #57
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrrell
Quote: BTW - all A1GP staff have been warned not to speak to media/anyone at all, that's why its so difficult to get info.

What rubbish!
Very normal. In all large companies there is a standing policy that all communications be directed to the communications department only.
Old 17 Feb 2009, 11:53 (Ref:2398978)   #58
rychard
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrrell

What rubbish!
WELL, YOU TRY GET INFO FROM A1GP!!!!

The cars are not at Kyalami!
Old 17 Feb 2009, 12:09 (Ref:2398982)   #59
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rychard
WELL, YOU TRY GET INFO FROM A1GP!!!!

The cars are not at Kyalami!
Well, do you have media accreditation? Is it any harder to get info from A1GP than it is from FOM, FIFA or the IOC?
Old 17 Feb 2009, 12:13 (Ref:2398984)   #60
rychard
Rookie

All I want to know is where the cars are, but its a secret!
Old 17 Feb 2009, 13:04 (Ref:2399015)   #61
ford prefect
Racer

United Kingdom
Wellingborough
ford prefect should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is none of our business where the cars are. I feel that you are trying to stir up a story where none exists.

We will know in a day or two where the cars are.

Stop panicking.
Old 18 Feb 2009, 02:00 (Ref:2399386)   #62
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Quote:
Originally Posted by rychard
All I want to know is where the cars are, but its a secret!
Why on earth would you want to know that? And why should A1GP release that information?
Old 18 Feb 2009, 06:35 (Ref:2399449)   #63
rychard
Rookie

Pakistan tested at Phakisa on monday & tues with hordes of Ferrari technical people also there, must've been over 20 of them. Car doing 1:23 sec.

Kiwi, lately each race is 'almost' not happening so it would be nice to know if the cars are comming. As of this morning they are still not at Kyalami. That leaves 48 hours to get them to the track and prepared for the rookie sessions
Old 18 Feb 2009, 08:57 (Ref:2399497)   #64
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
I think the fact that they've flown Pakistan's car there especially from the UK is a fairly strong sign that Kyalami is happening (not to mention the various driver announcements). Good that Pakistan are there, I had expected them to drop out altogether.
Hopefully there will be an excellent crowd this weekend, which will give everyone a boost.
Old 18 Feb 2009, 10:58 (Ref:2399559)   #65
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
stopandgo reports that Germany will also be present at Kyalami, GU-Racing running the team and Michael Ammermuller driving.
Old 18 Feb 2009, 17:10 (Ref:2399758)   #66
rychard
Rookie

I found this .........

A1GP cars to arrive on Thursday
Written by sw
Tuesday, 17 February 2009
Despite being delayed, due to freight problems, the A1GP cars will be at Kyalami and the A1GP, Gauteng will take place as scheduled although the Rookie session has been moved to Friday afternoon to give teams more time to prepare.

According to Stephen Watson, CEO of promoters Gauteng Motorsport Company, the fleet of Ferrari powered cars and the equipment will be arriving on Thursday via Air Malaysia, "one aircraft early morning and the other at midday," he confirmed today.

It has also been confirmed that the Team Pakistan car was lapping at the 1 minute 23 seconds mark during vital testing at Phakisa today, after completing instalation laps yesterday.
Old 22 Feb 2009, 05:35 (Ref:2401665)   #67
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
I've edited the name of this thread a bit as although a month ago there was a report of a new investor or major sponsor, it seems there isn't one.

Very, very interesting interview with Tony Texeira here: http://www.thetimes.co.za/PrintEditi...aspx?id=944369

A bit of a misleading headline, he does not make the quote that F1 wants to be like A1GP.

He is clearly in A1GP to make money as the last quip about Bernie buying him out suggests, although it also very much suggests he is in it for the long term.

He answers a few criticisms:
  • About the new car, i.e. that he would not have bought it if he had forseen the financial crisis (which nobody did)
  • About everyone turning up late (to save accommodation costs - makes perfect sense). If the staff are turning up late it also makes no sense to have the cars there early...
  • He is up front about the fact that this is a bad year, but I get the impression he is going to hang in there.
  • Makes no apologies about cancelling a race if it is not going to make money.

Questions that brings to mind is therefore:
  • Was the Lippo cancellation genuinely down to FIA certification of the track or not being financially viable? I was under the impression that the Indonesian government were paying a sizeable fee, and they obviously had the money after paying Tilke to design the circuit. Also interest in Indonesia seemed to be very high.
  • Presume Mexico is not seen as being viable. Crowds there were very reasonable and they seemed to be taking over that market from Indycars. I guess still not enough to cover the costs of having a single race in that region?
  • Is the Brazil round due to FIA dates or actually the same issue as Mexico?

While raising as many questions as answering them, I think A1GP would have done itself a big favour by issuing a press release at the end of last year along the lines of "A1GP's response to the financial crisis", to explain a lot of the issues that discussed in here.

I also get the impression that Tony T is resigned to funding it himself and getting a return in the long run (or finding someone to buy him out), in the short term if he kept a stable calender surely it would be a lot easier to find sponsors to partly fund it. Is this his mining industry mentality getting in the way, or is he being realistic about it being unrealistic to find sponsors at the moment anyway?
Old 22 Feb 2009, 05:43 (Ref:2401669)   #68
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I like A1 and I hope they hang in there and make it work. I think the concept has a lot of potential.
Old 22 Feb 2009, 08:18 (Ref:2401702)   #69
kerrmanningjarv
Veteran

England
London
kerrmanningjarv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mexico is surely down to the FIA, not money or viability - they have had big crowds and it was voted "Best Event" last season.

The FIA want some stupid new chicanes installed, and refused to allow A1GP to run there on the 22nd of March due to the WTCC in Mexico on the same weekend (the FIA don't want A1 taking fans away from their own championship). So it seems they are switching it to 24th May, which the site selling the tickets is now advertising.
Old 23 Feb 2009, 11:11 (Ref:2402330)   #70
Roninho
Racer

Roninho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The financial security of the serie will be totally up to how long the shareholders are willing to pay for it.
It costs an enormous amount of money to run an world-wide autosport serie, while the cars are also extremely expensive to run ($3 million+ a year to run 1car).

This can only be funded by either manufacturers (like dtm) and/or sponsors. Ferrari isn't going to pay, and sponsors won't pay millions with coverage on networks like ABmoteurs, Premiere and sky sports in major markets france, germany and uk.
Old 23 Feb 2009, 11:37 (Ref:2402344)   #71
jackschmidt
Racer

jackschmidt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3
Very, very interesting interview with Tony Texeira here: http://www.thetimes.co.za/PrintEditi...aspx?id=944369
I've been really trying to access this article as I want to read it myself but the bloody site isn't loading the news article!
Old 23 Feb 2009, 11:38 (Ref:2402345)   #72
ASRoma
Rookie

ASRoma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For me the problem is that some of the Seat Holders do not do the work to develop the product, they just wait for the money to come from A1 GP to run the cars

We're at season 4 but A1 GP is not developping enough in countries like Germany, France, Italy, England...

What we can see is that when the work is well done, it works (Netherlands, New Zealand, Ireland, etc...)
Old 23 Feb 2009, 12:35 (Ref:2402388)   #73
Roninho
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASRoma
What we can see is that when the work is well done, it works (Netherlands, New Zealand, Ireland, etc...)
One of the main reasons of A1gp's succes in the netherlands has been the deal with the tv-network RTL. It has been a great promotional tool for the serie and it's zandvoort event.

I've read an interview with the guy of RTL holland that made the decision to pick up the serie and show it on tv. The main reason for going with A1GP was the presence of Jos Verstappen. According to the RTL-guy a new/unknown sport/serie is an investment for a network, because it takes time before people know the sport and are willing to follow it. With Verstappen in the mix they had a driver that was still very popular in holland and therefor it became interesting for RTL. He literally said he had seen the A1GP stand at SPORTEL in Monaco, looked at it for a couple of minutes and didn't see anything in it (of course all before verstappen joined).

It seems to me this can be translated to many other countries and networks.
Old 23 Feb 2009, 14:26 (Ref:2402481)   #74
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Provided of course that they do have a JV-popular driver available which is not always easy. Ok for UK Button could do, if ex-Honda doesn't make it, but can you see a French or Italian or German driver with such profile?
Old 23 Feb 2009, 16:47 (Ref:2402543)   #75
Roninho
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_For_Pole
Provided of course that they do have a JV-popular driver available which is not always easy. Ok for UK Button could do, if ex-Honda doesn't make it, but can you see a French or Italian or German driver with such profile?
Agree that it's not easy to find such drivers. However there might have been some available.

In 2005 (a1's first season) the addition of the likes of HH Frentzen, Mika Hakkinen, Olivier Panis or Jean Alesi could have been possible. They were at that time not long out of F1, would be interesting out of an publicity viewpoint and wouldn't cost that much (I think i read that Alesi and/or HH were around 1 million euro in dtm).

I don't know the spanish and austrian markets, but maybe Alexander Wurz, Pedro de la Rosa or Marc Gene could have had a huge impact on these markets at the time.

Nowadays/in the next 2 years i could think of Ralf Schumacher, David Coulthard, Giancarlo Fisichella, Sebastian Bourdais, Rubens Barrichello that could have such an impact.