Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 27 May 2009, 07:42 (Ref:2469999)   #1
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Goodwood Revival - 2009

Does anyone know when the invitations to race at the Revival will be issued?
Old 27 May 2009, 08:38 (Ref:2470031)   #2
Fan
Veteran

Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They seem to go out later and later each year. I would think in the next 4 weeks though.
Old 27 May 2009, 11:37 (Ref:2470143)   #3
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Monsieur le Compte - are small engined GT's getting a run this year?
If so I wonder if they will finally honour the Turner - not that I am biaised in any way!!!
Old 27 May 2009, 11:44 (Ref:2470148)   #4
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No idea, Simon. I just assumed my Elite would never get an invitation with Dad 10 still making the occasional guest appearance in the hands of Robin Longdon. BUT your Turner should be a shoe-in.

I am hoping, however, that some of my friends in the Formula Junior Front Engined cars would be favoured.
Old 27 May 2009, 11:51 (Ref:2470153)   #5
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
it would be very nice as they raced extensively there in period (and in fact one year the Revival used the image of one on the cover of the race programme!!).

Sadly my car only had period clubbie history up North (although there is a photo of it winning a driving trial in a 1962 Autosport!). With more people becoming aware of the Sebring and other international race history they are getting less of a club car image...

we are virtually there in the development - just need to get it on a rolling road and then hopefully we can play with your car more easily!!!
Old 27 May 2009, 14:31 (Ref:2470261)   #6
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
until I release another Turner from the Workshop which will blow yours into the weeds

I've got the nod . . . . . glam cabs again
Old 27 May 2009, 14:34 (Ref:2470264)   #7
simon drabble
Veteran

yes but mine is still running its original Climax engine....! Actually mine I gather is unusual in so much as it was sold built with a special order wooden dash...
Old 27 May 2009, 14:46 (Ref:2470271)   #8
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
they're all made of wood aren't they ? the one I'm working on still has its original Ford engine . . .

I'm thinking of starting a sweep . . . there'll be more App K compliant taxis than race cars . . . . .
Old 10 Jun 2009, 10:55 (Ref:2479048)   #9
HFJ Drifter
Rookie

United Kingdom
New Forest
HFJ Drifter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Invites are out now then. Got one yesterday, well one member of the family did.
Old 15 Jun 2009, 10:12 (Ref:2483648)   #10
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Who is going to give the suggested 1000 Pound donation per car?
Old 15 Jun 2009, 10:46 (Ref:2483664)   #11
Andy Bacon
Rookie

England
Bedford and Phuket
Andy Bacon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
More details please.

Is this a charitable donation? Will Goodwood be able to keep records of who pays and how much? If so, I do wonder whether they will they take into account that £1,000 is a great deal to some individuals and chump change to others.

I have also heard that, with regard to the Mini race, all entrants have to remove the cylinder head of the engine and on any spare one so that the engines can be fully checked and then sealed. Is this true? I really hope so.
Old 16 Jun 2009, 05:56 (Ref:2484219)   #12
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
what? to make sure they're all 1460cc ?

surely with a BMW twin cam head its easy enough measure without removal, they have a central plug

seriously though . . . .if they started checking fuel and made everyone use 95 octane unleaded that would curb some developement!
Old 16 Jun 2009, 06:08 (Ref:2484221)   #13
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Well if its a grid full of Mini's that are all tuned to the same spec there is an easy answer to this problem. All the cars and drivers in assembly area names in a hat and there you go.
Old 16 Jun 2009, 19:46 (Ref:2484724)   #14
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
which is exactly why I didn't think the mini idea was anything but a sponsored event . . .nout wrong with that per-se, particularly given the climate, and recent history of St MArys trophy which has (by a minority) further helped devalue historic saloon car racing but if your going to do it, do it the right way, with sealed engined cars like HFF and guarantee the closest possible race would be the best way in every respect.

that being the case I can't wait to see how many cars can get side by side, on tarmac at the chicane on the second last lap !!!
Old 17 Jun 2009, 17:38 (Ref:2485355)   #15
fangio
Racer

fangio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by compte deGraves View Post
No idea, Simon. I just assumed my Elite would never get an invitation with Dad 10 still making the occasional guest appearance in the hands of Robin Longdon. BUT your Turner should be a shoe-in.

I am hoping, however, that some of my friends in the Formula Junior Front Engined cars would be favoured.
Good news, my Elite has been invited!
I haven't driven it for some 6 years, but Goodwood is a great event to bring it out again.
Attached Thumbnails
EliteRing.jpg   ElliteZvt.jpg  
Old 17 Jun 2009, 18:41 (Ref:2485395)   #16
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by fangio View Post
I haven't driven it for some 6 years, but Goodwood is a great event to bring it out again.
you might need to pump the tyres up a bit first
Old 18 Jun 2009, 07:57 (Ref:2485734)   #17
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
Quote:
e

As it says in the invitation - think of it not as an entry fee (which it is not) but rather as a bottle of wine that you take to a friend's dinner party. Some wine! Some party!
Old 18 Jun 2009, 08:03 (Ref:2485739)   #18
simon drabble
Veteran

so Monsieur Le Compte has your Elite got the nod as well? I guess that means the Turner missed the cut!
Old 18 Jun 2009, 08:03 (Ref:2485740)   #19
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
Quote:
e

As it says in the invitation - think of it not as an entry fee (which it is not) but rather as a bottle of wine that you take to a friend's dinner party. Some wine! Some party!
Old 18 Jun 2009, 08:10 (Ref:2485744)   #20
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Its cheap at a grand compared with Monaco and Legends at this years Le Mans.
You turn up and apart from the petrol (assuming you do not bend the car) not much else.
But why not stop pi....g about and call it an Entry Fee.English upper class snobbery and Goodwood speak rather than what it is.They need to raise revenue and that's what its all about.You competitors will surely pay a Grand to be part of this quintessential English fancy dress party.
It's well organised and if you like the do pay.Like the Elite, and am buying one at the moment, but Mr Fangio there was never a possibility of you not getting an entry!
Suppose you say entry not invitation now money is involved
Old 26 Jun 2009, 18:30 (Ref:2491268)   #21
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fangio View Post
How is that windscreen sealed in? It seems to lack the seal on most cars - perhaps an aerodynamic improvement!
Old 26 Jun 2009, 21:13 (Ref:2491351)   #22
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fangio, looking at those photos again, is there a difference in body on these Elites? The other ones I have seen seem to have a much different "mouth" on the nose for the front radiator as well. I seem to remember your car had a special period history and I assume it ran like this in period.

I'm not very technically proficient and can't seem to work out how to post the thumbnail style photos used here but have some great photos of works cars from period to compare.

Does your car have a special history with a different body style?

Roger
Old 26 Jun 2009, 21:33 (Ref:2491357)   #23
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
Looking at the "bible" on these cars - was it a Costin spec Le Mans car?

Sorry to all who have less interest in Elites......
Old 24 Jul 2009, 19:31 (Ref:2507306)   #24
Yorkie 'S'
Rookie

England
Leeds
Yorkie 'S' should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridYorkie 'S' should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like the Mini invites went out last Friday - I know of three people who got theirs - unfortunatley we seem to have missed the boat ! Oh well ho hum - good luck to all and enjoy your weekend at Silverstone !
Old 28 Jul 2009, 08:32 (Ref:2509728)   #25
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
so Monsieur Le Compte has your Elite got the nod as well? I guess that means the Turner missed the cut!
Simon, I am sorry but I missed this entry. NO, I did not get an entry but I know that DAD 10 did. How about your Turner?

Michael Ashley-Brown is driving my Volpini at Goodwood (test driver in period was Fangio! (the real one)).